Author Topic: Subraces - List for Review  (Read 40276 times)

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Re: Subraces - List for Review
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2019, 10:56:33 PM »
As of next update, many subraces will be slightly adjusted; in some cases, the changes will be more major (Athasian Elf, Athasian Dwarf, Athasian Halfling will now have ECL and different statistics overall). In most cases though, the adjustments will be minor and may not even be noticeable.

Since we first implemented subraces (about 10 years ago), we've added new feats and NwNx support, which allow us to better represent these subraces as they would be in PnP.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 10:11:50 PM by EO »

qwertyuioppp

• Dark Power
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2019, 11:02:55 PM »
Will any of these new ECL races be unlocked by application only?

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2019, 06:28:11 AM »
Will any of these new ECL races be unlocked by application only?

For now no, since they weren’t before.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2019, 02:19:42 PM »
Time to put Fey'ri back in, right? How's about some Genasi?
: )

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2019, 04:42:00 PM »
As of next update, many subraces will be slightly adjusted; in some cases, the changes will be more major (Athasian Elf, Athasian Dwarf, Athasian Halfling will now have ECL and different statistics overall). In most cases though, the adjustments will be minor and may not even be noticeable.

Since we first implemented subraces (about 10 years ago) and now, we've added new feats and NwNx support, which allow us to better represent these subraces as they would be in PnP.

I haven't tried the new EE version yet. Do the subrace modifiers show up at character creation now or only after you log into the game?
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2019, 07:38:56 PM »
I haven't tried the new EE version yet. Do the subrace modifiers show up at character creation now or only after you log into the game?

Still after you log into the game. It'd be technically possible to add a few of them as their own subraces and possibly something we will consider eventually for some (ie: Half Vistani, Aasimar, Tiefling and other planetouched races) but it's not a priority.

Phantasia

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • ¿
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2019, 07:41:04 PM »
Are we going to get a comprehensive subrace list with all mechanical changes?
Le cœur voit plus loin que l'esprit.
The heart sees further than the mind.

TheFury

• Undead Slayer
  • "As you can see, Drew is the server bully."-Deceit
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2019, 06:23:13 PM »

So I realize (and as is implemented in the game right now), that star elves don't get Elven weapon proficiency. That being said, so far as I can tell Otherworldly Touch hasn't been implemented on the server, meaning they get nothing to make up for it. It's only four weapon proficiencies, hardly unbalancing, but having it taken away without rebuild or getting something in return could cripple a character that relies on having it rather than martial for at least a level if not more. If not, could they either get Otherworldly Touch or some rough equivalent (like blind fight, which isn't as good as Otherworldly Touch but useful in more situations) in exchange? If this isn't the place for this post, I'll create another topic.
Get yourself a weapon that spits unending fire.
Discord Info: Kaithas#7352
Inactive. PM me for Trentor Atiens.
Happy Ending Offenders: Famorra Arendayel, Kymil Lornenil.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2019, 07:26:25 PM »
Although I'm not aware yet of this affecting me significantly, I'm perplexed by the timing of the race change immediately after players just re-leveled their PCs for the hak (and while bugs from that are still being ironed out).

EO mentioned that the subraces have been this way for 10 years. If changing them couldn't be done simultaneously with the recent hak, why not wait until the next--particularly if the changes will cause some PCs to have to yet again adjust their builds and re-level?

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2019, 07:31:38 PM »
Although I'm not aware yet of this affecting me significantly, I'm perplexed by the timing of the race change immediately after players just re-leveled their PCs for the hak (and while bugs from that are still being ironed out).

EO mentioned that the subraces have been this way for 10 years. If changing them couldn't be done simultaneously with the recent hak, why not wait until the next--particularly if the changes will cause some PCs to have to yet again adjust their builds and re-level?

Because developers work when they have inspiration and time, not based on a corporate production schedule. EO had the idea because of other new content and changes we're not quite ready to reveal yet, and decided to take the initiative to put them in while he had time in real life. That's how this works and, I'm afraid, and with a team of volunteers is the only way it realistically can and will work.

Additionally, if we don't integrate new content as we make it, we run the risk of having to substantially re-integrate that content later, which would be fine, again, if we were a corporation, but we aren't, so it isn't. We believe that the benefits of players having new content outside of a hak update outweighs the minor inconvenience of having to relevel a few characters who are affected by it. You are free to disagree, but that's why we do it how we do it.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 08:13:28 PM by Arawn »
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2019, 01:19:40 PM »
Going to add the following subraces in my next update:

Half-Drow (added to Eberron) Source: Eberron's Player Guide
Snow Elf (Greyhawk) Source: Dragon 155(AD&D)/Player's Guide to Greyhawk (AD&D)/Frostburn
Celadrin (Forgotten Realms) - ECL 1 / requires application Source: Dragon 350
Wild Gnome (Dragonlance) Source: Races of Ansalon
Poscadar Elf (Forgotten Realms, specifically Maztica) Source: City of Gold
Umbragen (Eberron) - ECL 2 / requires application Source: Dragon 330
Fire Gnome (The Multiverse) - ECL 1 / requires application Source: Planar Handbook
Frost Dwarf (The Multiverse) - ECL 1 / requires application Source: Planar Handbook
Cansin (The Multiverse) - ECL 2 / requires application Source: Dragon 297
Axani (The Multiverse) - ECL 2 / requires application Source: Dragon 297

We'll also remove the option to play a Zenythri, but existing ones will not be affected. Axani will cover the role of Zenythri.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 02:00:05 PM by EO »

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2019, 09:58:43 PM »
These changes should now be implemented.