Author Topic: Subraces - List for Review  (Read 40503 times)

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
Re: Subraces - List for Review
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2007, 07:07:00 AM »
Eh... No Strongheart or Ghostwise Halflings?

Ghostwise are not playable, as their telepathic abilities are cheese. I:E, means that they cannot be reproduced with the nwn engine.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2007, 08:10:53 AM »
Eh... No Strongheart or Ghostwise Halflings?

Yeah, since their one major ability wasn,t feasible in NwN, I scratched them. Similar reason for the Strongheart, who, with the current system ended up with just a penalty and no boons, making it a rather useless choice.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2007, 03:54:37 PM »
Heh, you'd essentially become that 'random encounter monster'.  :lol:

How many of these new subraces actually differ from the original model that they are based on?
they'd use existing character models. They're subraces.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2007, 03:58:14 PM »
Ok, I guess I phrased it wrong. How many of the subraces differ statistically, from the basic race. I don't need a printout of the specific changes, just curious how many actually have different stats and are therefore different more in the crunch than the flavor/fluff.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2007, 04:56:28 PM »
Ok, I guess I phrased it wrong. How many of the subraces differ statistically, from the basic race. I don't need a printout of the specific changes, just curious how many actually have different stats and are therefore different more in the crunch than the flavor/fluff.

Working on this, will have all info on Rp thread about different subraces we got; just kinda caught up with work + essays and finals atm, but its coming.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2007, 05:11:03 PM »

Most.

Ravenous

• Devourer
  • Dark Power
  • Hunger is eternal...
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2007, 06:21:45 PM »
Fey'ri will go in without the shapechange ability nor flight obviously.

I removed Kalashtar though since their major ability is to have a form of telepathic link with others.

So Fey´ri is gonna have to run around with their wings and stuff visible?

Sig by Garison

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2007, 06:28:02 PM »
Yeah, short-lived race in Ravenloft.

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2007, 06:30:47 PM »
Fey'ri will go in without the shapechange ability nor flight obviously.

I removed Kalashtar though since their major ability is to have a form of telepathic link with others.

So Fey´ri is gonna have to run around with their wings and stuff visible?

...Which can be "lamed" with a Cloak........... :evil:

Ravenous

• Devourer
  • Dark Power
  • Hunger is eternal...
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2007, 06:38:52 PM »
Yeah, short-lived race in Ravenloft.

Yeh.. But their most basic ability is to change themselves to look like a Sun Elf.. I mean every Fey´ri possess that ability..

In any case, if it aint already done wouldnt now be the time to change each subrace to match PnP, ie +1 for tiefling etc?

Sig by Garison

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2007, 06:39:43 PM »
Making them +2 ECL wasn't a mistake then and it's still not one now, so no, we won't change them to 1 ECL.

Ravenous

• Devourer
  • Dark Power
  • Hunger is eternal...
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2007, 06:48:30 PM »
Making them +2 ECL wasn't a mistake then and it's still not one now, so no, we won't change them to 1 ECL.

Why not? There is a biiiiiiiiig difference between wererat and tiefling, yet only 1 ECL apart.. See that is why I hate the ECL system from the ground up in DnD, its there and its unbalanced as hell.. Half-Dragon has the same ECL as Deep Gnome, Half-Fiend the same as Lich..
So to me, having a fully functional ECL system yet not applying it as in PnP despite the subraces having less advantages here than in PnP, makes little sense.. Of course i´m not a Dev so the info I have is severely limited..

Sig by Garison

Negnar

• THE Negnar
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2007, 01:10:47 PM »
In my opinion we need to focus more on incntives and reason for people to play characters that fit in well with the setting. Too many subraces can just move it all away from the setting and make it look like most other FR servers where everyone is somthing speical, becuase who wants to be a basic human/elf/dwarf/caliban when you have all these other options?

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2007, 01:13:35 PM »
becuase who wants to be a basic human/elf/dwarf/caliban when you have all these other options?

If you look at the server population as is, 80% of the people are vanilla humans anyway, with elves coming in a distant second. I just hope some/most of these subraces are ECL because that halforc monstrousity is one heck of a beast. :twisted:

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2007, 10:35:11 PM »
becuase who wants to be a basic human/elf/dwarf/caliban when you have all these other options?

If you look at the server population as is, 80% of the people are vanilla humans anyway, with elves coming in a distant second. I just hope some/most of these subraces are ECL because that halforc monstrousity is one heck of a beast. :twisted:

Most are some sort of ECL but the ones I've seen so far, sure seem to be plying the XP ladder with no real issues what so ever......as for 80 percent Human?  heh, it hurts to laugh.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2007, 11:30:59 PM »
Up till recently, with the spurt of dwarves and elves, yes, it was mostly humans (and maybe half-elves). *shrugs*

There was a changelog a few back that stated something about fixing the XP system to take ECL into consideration. Not sure if the system was broken before then for ECL races/monsters.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2007, 11:34:07 AM »
Up till recently, with the spurt of dwarves and elves, yes, it was mostly humans (and maybe half-elves). *shrugs*

There was a changelog a few back that stated something about fixing the XP system to take ECL into consideration. Not sure if the system was broken before then for ECL races/monsters.

I looked the list over ........

Not sure I like a lot of those being available, though I would rather see Giff, then Scros.  Still though it's content and I rather like Content. 

~Rex

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2007, 09:59:22 AM »
Dwarves and Elves are a recent thing - it will die away in time but ethnic groups are fun to play.

I'm waiting for the human mobs of NPCs to go apeshit on a random elf or dwarf... we've been throwing our wieght around lately and even had two dwarves dueling to the death in the outskirts as well as later baiting each other in front of a guard.

Slapdown cannot be too far away.

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2007, 02:13:30 PM »
Dwarves and Elves are a recent thing - it will die away in time but ethnic groups are fun to play.

I'm waiting for the human mobs of NPCs to go apeshit on a random elf or dwarf... we've been throwing our wieght around lately and even had two dwarves dueling to the death in the outskirts as well as later baiting each other in front of a guard.

Slapdown cannot be too far away.

True but slapdown from yet another Radu Class Battleship, is rather boring.  My gripe with all the subraces now is you have even MORE cases of people paling around with things they should not be paling around with.  Then when they DO decide to initiate slapdown, it's just OOC hypocrisy.  Besides it's allready to prevalent for my tastes the never ending parade of wierdos that you can't tell are wierdos because they have a piece of cloth over the top of their head, or they have some Helm or some such crafted up to look like a face.

~Rex

~Rex

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2008, 03:00:21 AM »
The list needs to be updated with stats + link to eraldurs thread! I'd do it but I'm too noob to figure how you link into the middle of a page -__-

Struwelpeter

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2008, 09:08:43 AM »
Errrr.... Speaking of sub-races..... Don't wanna sound annoying but.....
When will someone fix the athasian elf's ability to go "expeditious retreat"?

S.p.
Alwrr, formerly of the Jura-Dai
Ullumo, multiversal beggar
Arûth, escaped slave

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2008, 10:03:58 AM »
Is there a place where the modifications and additional stats are all together for these? Or, do you just type in the subrace in the section, and build from there...?

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2008, 06:08:37 PM »
How about dragon? some one that rp's up learning their heritage until they can fully embrace their blood line?  I only forsee the bonus being an item that polymorph's the char into a dragon so many times per day. Feasible?

penny

• Outlander
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2008, 06:51:12 PM »
That isn't possible, in any source material I've read.

Make a mage and use the polymorph spell.
Plays as:
Mira
Adriana Cardei

Negnar

• THE Negnar
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2008, 01:32:30 AM »
How about dragon? some one that rp's up learning their heritage until they can fully embrace their blood line?  I only forsee the bonus being an item that polymorph's the char into a dragon so many times per day. Feasible?

:roflmao:

...... I mean.... i'd bet anything on the answer of "no chance"

If you want a character with a Dragon Heritage play an RDD