You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Mardi Gras ~ Tale of Twins  (Read 2472 times)

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
Mardi Gras ~ Tale of Twins
« on: November 14, 2007, 03:46:35 PM »
Prologue ~ The Lacroix Twins

Once upon a time, within the murky, humid lands of the Island of Dread known as Souragne, a plantation stood:  Maison Lacroix, located on the Chemin Lestristepas (The Road of the Sad Steps).  The plantation followed the strong exports of sugar canes, as well as coffee; both of which were valued greatly in this region.  It was an economic benefit that would keep the Lacroix family in wealthy income for many generations to follow.

With their economic dominance maintained at the plantation, as well as the entrusted wealth passed onto the twins of the family after they turned sixteen years old, all would be situated quite well.  As long as the dark-skinned, poor workers continued to slave themselves for the family, they would be praised and fed; after all, it was the least the rich, beautiful nobles could do for the commoners.

They say that the hotter life is in the humid locations, the spicier the food.  ‘Tis not a lie whatsoever beyond these swamps, where civilization grows rampant.  Those unfamiliar with these dishes were reduced to tears from both the unique texture and flavors of the entrées, or their tongues numbed from the painful spices many of these contained.  But without keeping a gris-gris (Known as a lucky charm) while one feasted on such, it would likely be considered risky.

Culture and artistic sense were among the highest throughout these small communities.  Fashion was bright and young, and beauty held a relevant position in etiquettes, especially when one tended to guests.  The Lacroix twins were raised in the fine arts of music and theatre.  They spent most of their time rehearsing scenes from Souragnien literature in between participating in group choruses during the gatherings for Le Conseil des seigneurs (The direct term used to describe the island plantation owners’ council) occurring once per season.  Talented and favored children, they were.

Many separate festivities were held to build character and ego among the families.  There was also the famous event of the Mardi Gras, where a gathering of flamboyant costumes and celebration occurred for an entire week.  All odd and absurd gestures were forgotten after the week would end.  The twins loved Mardi Gras, and it very frequently, they wished for it to extend longer.  The thought of a large festivity in their plantation gave them joy and opportunity to impress the other nobles with their arts.  Successful performances would make the twins greater each time.

Religiously, there was a combined fear and respect to the Voodan; for it utilized a powerful entity known as Mazi (Or Magic), and for those whom mocked the Voodan, a malefic Vévé (Or marking) would be left upon their souls.  The rich locals did not gave in to such superstition as the Voodan in public but in secret they all feared and respected it as much as the lowest of all worker and they knew to not tarnish its great powers held by the priests.  They would call upon the Loa (Or spirits), and that would result in unimaginable occurrences.  An example of the Loa’s work was used when the twins were quite young, and their parents were both slowly drained of life in the form of an innocent, fatal disease. Anyone could call upon the Load's mighty power, for the best or for the worst if the price given to the priest was right.

Little did Edmond and Suzette de Lacroix realize that their seventeen years of being shackled by their family values would finally shatter from the horrors of the Voodan and its Mazi …

It was on their seventeenth birthday that the tragedy began.

Suzette had arranged for the workers to spend the entire day working on a monument of stone dedicated to Edmond and herself.  All of the workers forced all the effort their bruised bodies could handle; all but one.  This single worker was a fifteen year old, exotically dark beauty named Sarine, and her time devoted to tending to Edmond had become quite the higher task that day.

She was sitting behind Edmond over his bed, combing his hair, when temptation and urge started to grow inside of her developing body.  Edmond had grown so fast, and already he was becoming quite the muscular, dark-haired charmer.  She placed her hands over his shoulders and began caressing him when he shyly looked over to her and asked.  “What do you think you are doing, Sarine?”

Her answer was not with words, but with a direct desire to kiss his lips … A move that a worker of low quality would never dare attempt on a noble of such higher authority and grace.  He stared back her blankly, and then it was the start of a short fantasy.  Until that moment, Edmond had never experienced the feeling of pleasure, and so he took his chance, despite her class.

He was gentle to an extent with her, but when he stared at the color of her skin and took in her dirt-covered aroma, it was clear that she was simply fodder; fodder that could be used before being discarded.  He proceeded to enjoy the moment, and when he finished, he pulled away from her and threw her out of his room without saying a word.  He wished to quickly forget that he devoted such a moment to that pathetic wretch of a girl.

A month passed from that day when Suzette learned of what her darling brother had committed.  Sarine had complained of feeling ill, and when a Voodan priest paid them a visit, he revealed the shocking news:  Sarine was pregnant with the blood of a Lacroix, and it would be due in a matter of months.

Flustered and enraged, Suzette stomped into Edmond’s room while he was writing in his diary, when she screamed, “Couillon, Edmond!  How dare you taint our family’s blood with this … this … cocotte!”

He was nervous and sweating at first, but then after more of his sister’s scolding, Edmond submitted.  He told her of how Sarine tempted her, and that it was not his fault that this happened.  He then asked, “Does ti-maman know?”  Ti-maman was the nanny that had raised them for their lives.

Suzette shook her head and looked to her brother sadly.  “Mon frere, I shall not tell ti-maman if you would allow me to handle the problem.”

“Ma soeur,” he called to her and smiled weakly.  “Merci.”  With that, the twins embraced one another warmly, and the sibling rivalry was halted once more.

The following week led to a dramatic devastation, to say the least.  Suzette paid in sounding coins a Voodan priest to curse the young, pregnant woman with a Loa that would follow her to brutality.  Before the innocent, unaware girl knew what had happened, men were holding the sudden urge to beat her because of her class.  The very appeal she possessed in that moment was enough to make them outraged.

They broke the very beauty Sarine held, and her baby was shredded from within her womb by their boots.  Crawling while barely having any stamina to move remaining, Sarine informed her fellow workers, her family in misery, and an outrage broke out among them.  It would be that moment that the Lacroix twins would pay for what they did.

Not only did they ask their own Voodan priest to have them damned in hungry flames that would consume the entire plantation, but they found Edmond the next morning reading a book outside home.  They surrounded and commenced in attempting to beat him, only to be swarmed by those who supported the Lacroix witnessing this display.

Edmond found his sister reading, innocently unaware, inside when he left the horrible fight, and the thought of slapping her passed his thoughts once.  He screamed at her for putting Sarine through so much pain instead of simply having a priest remove the baby, and all she did was explain that the deed was done.

The deed was not done, however.

Their ti-maman screamed from upstairs, and completely surrounding them were the fires of revenge.  The entire home, as well as the plantation, was set ablaze.  They felt that they were about to perish when their ti-maman revealed her own powers of the Voodan.  She reversed the curse, enough for them to escape the fires.

Suzette did not wish to leave ti-maman, but Edmond would not have it.  He grabbed her hand and ran away from home.  The race through the murky swamps beyond the plantation was slowly reaching its end, however.  The Voodan had one final Loa to deliver … In the form of mists.

As the Lacroix twins found themselves in Barovia the next moment, only one word crossed their lips.  “Maudit!”

« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 04:25:11 PM by Ric »

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
Re: Mardi Gras ~ Tale of Twins
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 03:16:09 PM »

Where am i.. Where are we? As they ran through the deadly swamp, she figured they had a chance, even so very little. Alligators and other horrors of the night, lurked deep in the jungle. The muddy water in which they stepped uncaring was also pool of death. But all of a sudden, the ground was firm and the familiar sounds were quiet. They kept on running, thankful to the -Dame des brumes- to have remove obstacles from their path. For a moment she stopped, out of breath and glanced behind her, hoping to catch a glimpse of their burning house. All she could see was mists, all around them. Thick like cream. She held on to Edmond's arm and yelled but still he kept on walking, pulling her along. We must keep going Suzette! They wont have us! He was strong at this moment and she felt weak. She was hallucinating even, she could hear music, drums and guitar. Inspired by the sounds, she stepped faster with  her brother, following the familiar music of gypsy in the night.

But the sight they came to was unexpected. In a clearing of tall trees, where mists curled and twirled before dissipating, a round of mobile houses pulled by horses. The folks were dark skinned but not like the workers, not like them. Their face were different and evenso their clothing matched the ones of their island, the fashion was different. They were greeted with caution, in unfamiliar accent. As they presumed they had lost their mind to a dream, one of the man opened the door to a vardo and offered them a reading from madame Keja. Quickly they accepted and entered the small house, it felt like a blessing for a moment, something familiar to cling on to. The inside of the vardo also felt familiar, the smells of incents and odds bottles of liquid, they were back in the room of ti-maman where they had listened for hours on to stories of the loa and its power. There instead of their nanny, was madame Keja, in her purple dress. With a tiny cigar and a darker skin, the illusion would have been perfect. In her hands she held cards instead of bones and she offered the children to sit before she began the reading.

I see money and power in the past that follows you into the mists, things that you have now lost. Death, or a great change also follows each and one of your steps, even here. You must beware temptation, and take care to not become one. Many things would be left unsaid and the world would turn better, seek shadows and daggers into the city of grey.

Suzette allowed her brother to guide her out of the vardo, in her rain stained dress and tears, the black of her eyes streaming on her cheeks. What shall we do.. where shall we go? We have nothing.. rien. With all possible gentleness he wrapped his arms around her and whispered encouragement to her ear. They were alive, they were together. They would forget all the fights they had and be strong together, and make their parents proud. Ti-maman's sacrifice will not have been for naught.  Into the cold summer night of Barovia, the twins walked together, careful steps, watching at torch's light for the crocodile's bite that lacked to come, for the deadly snake that would snap at them or the yelling mob of workers that were destroying their childhood home that they would never see again.  Barovia was everything Souragne was not and moreso.

a bit of color wouldnt hurt..

->Notre-Dame des Brumes Our lady of the mists
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 03:18:22 PM by Nefensis »

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

Ric

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 02:02:36 AM »
Attractions

The Broken Bell’s suites were marvelous, in Edmond’s thoughts.  Each night, he would stare out the window of the room he shared with his sister, and he would count the stars, one by one.  He was so used to the stars above Maison Lacroix that it gave him the impression that he truly was in another world; a world far beyond the one he and Suzette were raised in.

The room they resided in was so clean and tidy.  They would always neatly fold their clothing each night, and help each other into their sleeping gowns.  It was rather unfortunate that they did not have two separate beds, but, being the loveable pair, they would share the large one provided by the Broken Bell staff.  It was nothing of an adult nature, but rather a family gesture.  Suzette slept on the right side, and Edmond was on the left.

And in the morning, they would spend an hour preparing for their meetings with the outlanders and natives.  The twins found themselves meeting many interesting faces, both kind and horrid.  As long as they upheld the etiquette of withholding a positive attitude, they knew that they would be in the correct path.

While Suzette was already finding people to use as temporary workers, like guides, Edmond quickly noticed himself surrounded by various women of beautiful displays.  They were always willing to speak with him at lengths, but there was always the same question popping up over and over.

“How is your sister, Edmond?”  They would ask.

“She is fine, oui.”  He would say.

It made him uncomfortable to hear this question come up so frequently, especially after having played the ‘role’ Armand LeBarthe gave him in a previous set of nights.  The role was for Edmond to imagine himself in a position where Suzette was held at knife-point by a knave, and he would be responsible for her life.  The beautiful woman from Kartakass, Johanna, played as Suzette.  In the end, he could not save her, and as Johanna fell into his arms, she reminded Edmond so much of Suzette, that he truly cried.

She kissed him on the cheek after the rehearsing was over, and then Edmond found himself struck with uncertainty.  The nights that followed, he would continue to meet more people, and the questions still poured:

“How is your sister, Edmond?”  They would ask.

“She is fine, oui.”  He would say.

Finally, he lost his calm in the bedroom while Suzette was downstairs, and so he pulled out his old, small diary that he always kept with him.  Opening the pages, he found a blank spot, and then he reached for a feather and ink jar.  Carefully, he wrote in Souragnien:

Dear Diary,

I have settled myself very comfortably since our arrival in this strange place called Barovia.  My dear sister is very happy, but she still fusses over the loss of Ti-maman.  I, myself, still feel bad, but I am slowly working to get over the loss.  We never discuss her name, but when the name comes back, it tends to sting somewhat.

I feel that Armand LeBarthe will become an excellent business partner, as well as a very valued friend for Suzette and me.  He is very enthusiastic about the arts, and I, for one, am excited, as well.  I never dreamed of making a living out of the hobby Suzette and I developed together from violin and piano lessons.  I am very grateful that Ti-maman pushed us so hard to learn the musical arts.

Acting comes to me almost naturally, I must say.  I noticed Armand tell Suzette that she needed to work more on her movement, but he has used me in his examples numerously.  I wonder how he feels about me …

Johanna is also something else, I must say.  She has beautiful, golden hair, and she fancies clothing in colors that match our tastes from Souragne.  Everything about her is lovely, but I can’t help but feel that there are some flaws … Something about her that I can feel, but can’t write.  Perhaps another time, I can write about this.  Johanna enjoys speaking with me plenty, as do I.

At the same time, I feel that Suzette is worried for me, after I told her about Johanna.  She reminded me of how the first kiss led to the bed, and then it was almost over for me.  I am glad that she told me this, for now I am becoming cautious more than ever.  I must not give in to temptation … Make the family proud, I must.

But while Suzette worries for me, I also worry for her.  Armand’s test for Johanna made me a bit nervous, lately.  Why did he wish for me to play as myself?  Why did he ask for a scene he knew was a dangerous subject for me?  He did this for Rayje, as well.  I trust Armand, but at the same time, I worry for my sister.  Perhaps it is not he, who I am worried for, but for those that may try to harm my sister.  He did say that the life of a performer was dangerous, after all.

Enough of this, I shall sleep on this and continue my ‘work’ tomorrow morning.  It makes me laugh just thinking of ‘work’.  Oh well, we shall adapt to this new land …

End Log

As he closed the book, he pulled out his golden locket, containing a picture of Suzette.  He smiled at it, knowing that everything was fine, despite the bad thoughts he had.  The Loa was far from them now, they were safe.

“Edmond?”  Suzette said to him in Souragnien from behind as she knocked on the door before opening it.  “Is everything all right?”

“Yes, Suzette.”  He turned and smiled to her.  “Everything is fine.  Let us get some sleep for tonight.”

Ric

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 12:40:33 PM »
Preservation

Edmond watched these shifts in the culture with a mixture of enjoyment and distaste.  While many entertained him, whether from their attracting features or their stupidity, many more bothered him; mainly, the boring figures bothered Edmond.  These were the ones that wished to accept him instead of challenge him.

After spending some quality time with some of the more entertaining ones on his menu, the young Souragnien started to become pulled by this temptation to have fun instead of being shy or quiet.  He wanted to believe that he would have his sister’s help in this endeavor through the passage.

The twins enjoyed private discussions before going to bed each night.  The discussions involved separating the useful ones from the foolish.  In other words, those who bothered them, and those who amused.  But then an idea came up throughout recent nights that made them wonder.

“We may need to marry those most worthy in the future, Edmond.”  She mentioned to him.

“It may be so.”  He agreed.

To them, marriage was a business proposal more than a romantic one.  It meant the separation of being potentially poor to being potentially rich.  While it was arrogant to follow this notion, there were many in the past who proved this to them.  Even in the present, after watching all of the amusing drama between Dragomir and Anna, it was shown that marriage had its purpose.

In the end, however, Edmond realized one important aspect that he did not think of at first.  Should such an occurrence come, where they marry, it would mean the separation of their aids to one another, as well as a taint in the family blood for the next generation.  It was these thoughts that made him wonder.

The twins and their friends gossiped plenty when they were bored.  It even reached a point where they would tease other friends behind their backs.  Through all of this, Edmond found himself judging everything and everyone in his mind.  It was unconscious to think about those around him in the past, but now it was becoming more of a chore to follow with each introduction; to analyze these people.

Days following, he brought up his concern with his sister, and she wondered if he was certain of what he spoke of.  He explained that their collaboration was most effective for survival, and that marriage would threaten this.  She seemed distasteful to the idea, until she eventually put her head down and murmured.

“I will not marry, then.”

Edmond looked to her with widened eyes, “You would do this for me, ma soeur?”

She nodded, showing light annoyance by his behavior, and then they went to bed.  The game that was commencing would definitely be different from growing up in Souragne.  It would be a game of diplomacy and control, and their opponents weren’t fools, for the most part.  For certain, the twins would have to coordinate delicately in order to preserve their advantages in the public.  They had tricks that no one else had.  They knew how the other would think, because they were similar in body and mind.

Two wrongs don’t make a right, but two rights make a certainty, and they would strive to be right.

Ric

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 01:59:58 AM »
Change of Attire

Edmond left his sister with Anna Smythe, a close friend of the twins, in their room, and he located a private quarter for himself.  The night sky was filled with darkened clouds excreting endless showers.  Foolishly, the last person who used this particular room forgot to close the window.  This left a biting cold temperature in the room, even after Edmond took care of the problem.

He pulled out his small journal and tossed it over a desk near the bed, and Edmond paced for what seemed to be an eternity.  There were so many considerations in his mind, and even more forks hidden within these paths.  Every person he formed conversations with, every place he visited, and every moment that he spoke … Choices needed to be made.  With every choice came benefits and consequences.

The women were becoming ever more desiring toward him, and his display of shyness made things even more complicated.  He remembered so clearly how Sarine got what she wanted from him in Souragne after teasing his immature senses.  Suzette had a nasty habit of reminding him how weak and inconsiderate he was to even think about allowing someone of lesser blood to bare his child.

In order to avoid this issue in the future, Edmond would have to build his arrangements with the women with careful calculation.  Should he accidentally fertilize another egg, he would have to murder it, along with its mother to keep information from spreading too far.  However, his safest plan would be to become less shy and more open.  It would not be the women manipulating him with their charms … But the opposite.

That was when Edmond realized the significance of how Suzette and he operated in the public.  There were many little tricks they had to keep a strong offense and defense, without having to appear obvious.  To win the game of chess, one must calculate what their opponent’s next move is beforehand.  The way things were potentially building up, the twins would be the players, while the others were simply playing pieces.

Armand LeBarthe was shaping Edmond’s new ways of thinking, in a way.  He introduced him to the concept of inconvenient truths hidden behind fallacies.  The idea that there was a world of which one could not even conceive!  In other words, what seemed ambiguous and safe could potentially be lesser and harmful.

To look in a mirror and see one’s reflection could have been a fallacy in itself.  When Edmond paused in his thoughts and looked in the mirror in this suite, he found himself amazed by what he saw.  This was not a strapping young man of emerald eyes and short, combed hair … Before him stood an intellectual with higher insight over the world around him.  A man prepared to face this new land with preparation instead of uncertainty.

Smiling and running his hands through his hair, Edmond undressed himself and climbed into the bed.  Before his eyes closed, he spent minutes admiring the comfort he felt in this hour.  He allowed himself to recognize the fallacies around him, especially after the recent events he attended, and now he would benefit.  With that, his eye lids sealed, and the fatigue pushed him to his dreams.

Ric

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 04:47:59 AM »
Brelan

The week had been very interesting for Edmond in terms of changes.  With the introduction to the blinding snow greeting the twins for the first time, there was certainly a sort of hidden beauty in the air.  The chilling winds were harsh, and they were not prepared for such.  It was essential for the twins to remain inside numerously, but at times, they could not help but go outside to enjoy the new weather.

It was during these hours indoors that Edmond took the liberty of introducing the dice game known as Brelan to all of his friends from the Lady’s Rest and Broken Bell Inn.  It was originally a traditionally gambling game played with family guests, or even among the social gatherings;  the most favored time to enjoy this game was Mardi Gras.  During Mardi Gras, many kinds of wages were placed, from money, to land, to clothes, to land, and even to dares.

Everyone wished to play Brelan for money in Barovia but one, and that Anna Smythe.  She fancied the game dearly, but the idea of forcing the loser to do one’s own will seemed more intense to her.  It became strongly intense on Edmond, really.  One thing led to another, and after an hour of playing together, the dares changed from comical to deep ones that challenged the heart.  At one point, they both dared each other to kiss one another, and that was the start of a sort of hidden relationship for the following day.  There was no guilt to be felt, because Edmond had explained Mardi Gras to Anna, and she understood.

Suzette was in a panic over the recent attempts on Edmond’s life by the scoundrels of the living dead.  She had convinced Edmond that it was a sign of the Vévé, the mark.  The Vévé was theoretically given when the twins found themselves with no choice but to slay a group of animated skeletons one evening with Anna.  The attacks were frequent, but they seemed to be related with this event, so the twins suspected.

Edmond demanded that Suzette rest her paranoia away, and while that was happening, he and Anna enjoyed the hours together.  They did not speak of the undead issues, because it would only make them as paranoid as Suzette was feeling.  The traveling was calm and peaceful, yet freezing to the spine.

The two agreed to a warm room at the Broken Bell Inn for some more Brelan.  They were young and curious players, Edmond and Anna.  The game of Brelan in Mardi Gras extended their curiosity to a point of no return, that night.  Anna won both games that they played, and the dares were simply reeking of cruel intention.  The first was for Edmond to sing the romantic song, “Que je taime” in Souragnien.

The song was even more beautiful for Edmond to recite when it was in his own language, he felt.  There was a compelling presence in the room, but that did not stop them from playing the second round of Brelan.  When Anna won, she asked Edmond to sleep with her for this night.  By the next morning, it would be if the night never occurred.  He was uncomfortable at first and rather shy to hear such a dare, but then he recalled the rules of Mardi Gras by Suzette’s own voice.

As long as Anna understood the rules like he, they had nothing to worry about.  She explained that Tatyana had given her herbs to prevent any unexpected occurrences, such as pregnancy.  The deal was sealed, and the two shared the bed together.  When it was over, Edmond slipped away and left her before the sun could even rise.

He felt a bit of guilt as he passed through the hallway, but it was only a few moments after that he laughed it up.  Mardi Gras was indeed alive in Vallaki, and it that would be his ticket to relaxation on his vacation from Maison Lacroix.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 04:55:37 AM by Ric »

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 07:40:22 PM »
A long way from home

Night life, the music of the rich and noble gents. Where bread and butter becomes silver and gold, extravagant existence. Themselves from a generous life, nobles of the Souragnian swamp,  the Lacroix twins felt uneasy living among the high and polished society of Port-a-Lucine. They had slowly made their way there in hope to contact their business partners. Alas doors closed at their nose,  far from begging, they were demanding the last of the own money for the rum and sugar cane venture, but no. News were that the Lacroix heirs had perished in the fire that destroyed the plantation and these runty teenagers could not be it.

What will we do Edmond! The little money they had left from their business in Barovia was pretty thin in their pockets and the life they longed for was much more expensive. The male twin held his hands up and the ballet began between them, devising what would be the plan. "Money we need money.." standing she replied "We need to go where money is easy."  sharply he replied "Money is never easy, simple minded girl!"  with a  frown she bite back "Your mind is but to music, business is lost to you!" silence surrounded them for a few moments and his voice turned to honey "Music can be money.." she was not honey yet, snake she replied "I will not lower myself to these people." he took her hand, smiling in a flirty way "What about to lower people.. we would still be higher than them." she smiled and took a few light steps. "None is prophet in their country.." their fight was now a dance "Let us go where dirt is, where we shall be gold." she laughed softly "Fools's gold?" he sealed the deal with a brotherly kiss "Fools's gold."

The next day they bought passage toward Barovia again, leaving behind the civilized land again.

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 01:13:52 PM »
*bump for safeguard*