You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: The Church of Ezra  (Read 19223 times)

-Rotten Fish-

• Dark Lord
  • "Getting Down With The Sickness..."
The Church of Ezra
« on: September 14, 2007, 08:29:39 AM »
Hello Mist dwellers.

I'm just making a post to find out how many characters play followers of Ezra, as we have a huge church in the town that really needs some use!

So If players could post their character names etc. below that would be cool.

Ill start.

Tiberius Kross - Battle Chaplain of Ezra
Beriszló Józsa - Gundarakite Commoner
Emanuel Lupescu - Cursed Barovian...
Hastian Vandel - "And The Dead Shall Walk..."
Konrad Kruschev - R.I.P

Corvus

• DM & DEV
  • Dark Power
Re: The Church of Ezra
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 08:35:48 AM »
oh man, Ezra needs some lovin'!

Huge church and good npc's and a faith that is (imo more intresting then ML)
“It is better to die for Corvus, than live for yourself!".

Playing: Lothar Breitenfeldt, Rhavin, Vincent Lycastus, Erwin Reuenthal

Doom

• Pain? Pain is like love . . . like compassion! It is a thing only for lesser men.
  • Dark Power
  • What is pain to Doom?
    • Last Stand Legacy Beta
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 08:44:36 AM »
Well, i will simply remind everyone...

The ML church became a faction when enough PC's gathered around it and said "HEY! CAN WE BE A FACTION!?"

So if you want it... just have to show the Devs the interest in it.

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 08:47:21 AM »
they do have a friggin huge CATHEDRAL

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

Delphinidae

• Phasing in and out of PoTM
  • Dark Power
  • My poor wererats get no love.
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 08:49:00 AM »
Finally!

I felt so lonesome. Here's another Erzite for you:

Danielle Escher

Ongoing Plots
Legacy of Blood
The Eye of the McGraths

- carrion -

• PotM Elder Thing
  • Dark Power
  • Waiting ... dreaming ...
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 09:11:16 AM »
Nah ...

Siv is dead, baby ... Siv is dead.  :twisted:

Spoiler: show
(Might be nasty to bring her back though ... as a rotten ghoulish thing hungering for Vasham's soul ...  and liver.)

« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 09:17:10 AM by carrion_flower »

Negnar

• THE Negnar
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 10:14:36 AM »
Yeah Ezra's jinxed... Look what happend to Siv and Vasham  :?

-Rotten Fish-

• Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 10:17:11 AM »
hehe well, vash wore short shorts!

heretic!

at least i have 1 person who plays an ezralite lol.

ill start doing sum more IG to promote the religion, see if that gets some people interested.
Konrad Kruschev - R.I.P

arrmuth

• Undead Master
  • Honor is everything.
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 02:06:48 PM »
Recommended reading for the Church of Ezra
Gazetteer II - the Darkon section has a good bit on Ezra.
Gazetteer III- The Mordent and Dementlieu sections as well as the appendix has some information.
Gazeteer  IV - The Borcan section has a bit on the faith.
Van Ritchen's Arsenal has i think two pretige classes for the faith,Anchorite and Warden if i remember correctly.

The Ezrites are highly organized and come off as Ravenloft's version to the Catholic Church to me. Hope this info helps anyone looking to play an Ezrite.

Doom

• Pain? Pain is like love . . . like compassion! It is a thing only for lesser men.
  • Dark Power
  • What is pain to Doom?
    • Last Stand Legacy Beta
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 02:10:02 PM »
Ezrites faith is highly organized but also divided into four different sects- TN, LN, LG, and LE

I'll order my lore peon EO to help me find that Ezrite web page with the creation story he showed me.

arrmuth

• Undead Master
  • Honor is everything.
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 02:16:24 PM »
Ive meet a couple of witch hunter's of Ezra before.(cant remember their names)
There used to be a player named Rodrigo Iorga who was of the home faith sect.(Havent seen him around much anymore)
Borcan Sect-LN
Mordent Sect-LG
Nevuchar Springs Sect-LE
Demetilieu Sect- TN

Doom

• Dark Power
  • What is pain to Doom?
    • Last Stand Legacy Beta
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 02:51:45 PM »
The Church of Ezra was born almost ninety years ago, when a son of the notorious Dilisnya dynasty claimed that a divine entity, Ezra, Our Guardian in the Mists, had given him a message to spread to all the world. According to most traditions in the church, Ezra was a virtuous mortal woman who, despairing of the evils of the world, forever surrendered her mortality to the Mists to become an eternal guardian of mankind. However, the fractious sects of the Church of Ezra have been debating the true nature and teachings of their ascended patron for decades.

The original, lawful neutral sect, also called the Home Faith, is centered in Borca. It appoints Ezra’s faithful clerics, called anchorites, to the task of protecting and healing her faithful, keeping them safe from the forces of evil. The lawful good sect in Mordent also teaches that anchorites must convert as many souls to Ezra’s flock as possible for their own good. The mystical, neutral Dementlieu sect claims that Ezra was a goddess who abandoned her callous fellow gods to offer mortals succor, and spends its time studying the true nature of their goddess. Lastly, the lawful evil sect centered in Nevuchar Springs prophesies an imminent Time of Unparalleled Darkness, when the unfaithful will be consumed by darkness. All anchorites agree that Ezra cannot protect those who do not accept her into their hearts.

The Mists domain is unique to anchorites; Ezra’s patronage allows them to call on the Mists of Ravenloft for aid.

Symbol: A silver longsword superimposed on an alabaster kite shield and adorned with a sprig of belladonna.

Favored Weapon: Longsword.
The Church of Ezra

The Church of Ezra is one of the most influential and widespread religions in Ravenloft, having a significant presence in both Mordent and Dementlieu (in this gazetteer) as well as in neighboring Borca, which will be covered in Ravenloft Gazetteer Volume IV. Thus, game material is compiled here for ease of reference. This section expands upon the information presented in the Ravenloft Campaign Setting. Additional details on the lawful evil Nevuchar Springs sect are found in Ravenloft Gazetteer Volume II.

Origin Myth

In the time before, in a land cloaked in Mists, there was a woman, and She was Ezra.

Ezra was a healer of the sick and protector of the weak. Such was her lot in life. Such was her role in the grand scheme.

Ezra took pride in the role Fate had given her. Her duty was Her joy.

For many years, Ezra healed the lame and watched over Her people. Yet as time went on, Ezra began to see the Hollow.

From the Mists of Death came horrors of the night. They were the drinker of blood and the stealer of breath and the beast that rends. Many were their legions. Many were the roles played by darkness in the Grand Scheme.

Ezra knew that Death would come for her, as it comes to all in time. When Ezra entered the Gray Land, there would be no guardian to fill Her role. There would be no one to stand between Her people and the Legions of the Night.

Ezra set forth on a quest to find a guardian for Her people. She sought the One Pure Heart who would assume Her role.

Ezra sought for the One Pure Heart in many lands, but ever did She seek in vain.

In time, Her quest brought Ezra to the end of all things. Behind Ezra stretched all the lands of the world. Before Ezra rose only the Mists of Death.

Ezra spoke to the Mists. Asked She, “The world is yours. You set its shape. Why do you allow its people to wander, lost and afraid?”

Yet the Mists did not answer.

Again Ezra spoke. “Why have you filled your world with the Legions of the Night?”

Yet the Mists would not answer.

A third time did Ezra speak. “All things have their role in the Grand Scheme. The Legions of the Night have their place, but Guardians and Guides have their roles in turn.”

Still the Mists offered no reply.

Ezra spoke once more. “I have searched all the vastness of your lands, but I have found no Guardians for My people. I have found no Guides for the lost.”

Again the Mists were silent.

For the last time did Ezra speak. “You have failed the Grand Scheme. You have created a Hollow that must be filled. If you will not watch over your people, then that task falls to me.”

Upon the fifth entreaty did the Mists of Death reply. From the Mists came a Voice, and the Voice spoke, saying, “Turn back, Mortal. You know nothing of the Grand Scheme. You know nothing of the Mists. You have reached the end of Your world. Continue and You shall find only Your destruction, nothing more.”

Yet Ezra held fast against the Mists, saying, “You cannot bid Me enter, yet I cannot turn away. I offer Myself to you so that you may know the suffering of My People. If I must be destroyed for them, then that is what must be.”

The Mists of Death fell silent. Then the Voice spoke once more. “Enter the Mists if You must, Mortal, but not as You are. Your kind has no place here. To enter the Mists, You must become as one with the Mists. Never again shall you leave them. Will You forever sacrifice Yourself to watch over these few mortals?”

Spoke Ezra, “Such is My role in the Grand Scheme. So must it be.”

And with these words did Ezra become Our Guardian in the Mists.

- The Books of Ezra, Book I. i.-xix.

Hierarchy and Terminology

The Church of Ezra follows a basic hierarchy that emphasizes personal and communal responsibility. Young anchorites are encouraged to travel, spreading Ezra’s teachings to distant lands. Improving one’s ecclesiastical rank, however, depends on setting down roots and supporting a dedicated congregation.

Anchorite is a general term for Ezra’s clergy, regardless of their class or position. Wardens are wandering, evangelical clerics who sacrifice ecclesiastical power to spread Ezra’s word. Torets are anchorites who establish or staff small temples, while Sentires are the leaders of significant congregations. A single Bastion leads each major sect. Bastions are generally autonomous, but must ultimately defer to the Church’s single Praesidius (if male) or Praesidia (if female). These titles can overlap: for instance, Praesidius Levin Postoya is also the Bastion of the Home Faith and the Sentire of Levkarest. To qualify for the post of Praesidius, a prospective candidate must be a member of the Home Faith and demonstrate that Ezra will guide her safely through the Mists. In game terms, the anchorite must have a Mistwalking ability such as the 6th-level spell in the Mists cleric domain or the Mists Stride ability gained by a 5th-level anchorite of the Mists (see Van Richten’s Arsenal).

Numerous individuals have come forward over the years, claiming to have been visited by Ezra and demanding that their claims be recognized as church canon. After the First Schism of 698, the Church developed a ceremony called the Rite of Revelation to separate the visionaries from the madmen.

To be recognized as a new bastion, a petitioner must complete several tasks. First, and most simply, the supplicant must personally pen her new Book of Ezra and deliver a copy to the Great Cathedral for review. The Great Cathedral has a full library of these texts, most filled with deranged heresies.

Second, the petitioner must manifest a new variety of the shield of Ezra (available only to clerics with the Mists domain), demonstrating that the goddess has revealed a new aspect of her protection. Lastly, the supplicant must present five anchorites, usually her followers, who manifest the same, new variety of the shield of Ezra, demonstrating that the goddess wishes this new chapter of her teachings to spread. Should the supplicant pass all three tests, she is recognized as the leader of a new sect. All but three such petitions have been discounted in the past, sometimes revealed as purposeful attempts to subvert the faith. Many anchorites, however, believe that a fifth sect will someday appear. This, the Final Sect, will at last reveal the final aspects of Ezra’s Grand Scheme and will herald that it is at last coming to its ultimate fruition.

Worshippers

Ezra (EZ-ra)

Symbol: A silver longsword superimposed on an alabaster kite shield and adorned with a sprig of belladonna. Religious icons depict Ezra herself as a lovely, dark-haired woman bearing these accoutrements.

Alignment: LN. The Church’s four sects are divided along philosophical lines shaped by their differing interpretations of Ezra’s teachings. Each of these sects roughly corresponds to one of the four alignments available to clerics of Ezra. The Home Faith in Borca is lawful neutral, the Mordentish sect is lawful good, and the Dementlieuse sect is true neutral. Anchorites need not adhere to the prevailing ethos of their sect, however.

Domains: Destruction, Healing, Law, Mists, Protection. The Mists domain is unique to anchorites; see Chapter Two of the Ravenloft Campaign Setting for details. Anchorites typically select the Mists domain, then choose a second cleric domain based on their sect. Borcan anchorites often select Law, Mordentish anchorites favor Healing, while Dementlieuse anchorites prefer Protection. These are merely tendencies, however, not requirements.

Favored Weapon: Ezra’s blade (longsword).

Anchorites pray for their spells at sunrise. Worship services consisting of hymns and sermons are held once every fifth day, always at noon to renew Ezra’s vows of protection over her congregation. Lay folk who do not attend services for longer than five days risk stepping beyond Ezra’s spiritual reach until they return. When attending services, lay worshippers are expected to dress entirely in white, while clergy don ceremonial robes of green with white trim; the wider the visible trim, the higher the anchorite’s position within the church.

Ezra’s clerics act as guardians and healers, serving as personal emissaries of their goddess. Due to their religion’s history of spiritual epiphanies, anchorites place great stock in predestination (the “Grand Scheme”) and divination. Others focus on the unusual preponderance of the number five throughout Ezra’s religious writs and so study numerology. Ezra’s clerics thus occasionally multiclass as diviners, fighters, or rogues. The broader clergy includes commoners, experts, and warriors.

My Lore Peon is successful.

http://genera.ohxit.com/Ravenloft/System%20Info/Religions/church_of_ezra.htm
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 02:56:37 PM by Doom »

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 03:14:51 PM »
the Church in the Nobles' District is the "Home Faith" (i.e. original Lawful Neutral sect).

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Bishop Cornelius

• Community Council
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 04:32:07 PM »
I have a Lawful-Evil Darkonese Priest of Ezra as one of my minor characters...  I would be interested in setting up rondez-vous with anyone who would be interested in interacting with him...

New:
Augustin Vacarescu (Garda)
Keiji Kemura (Lost Diamyo)
Sebastian Beaumont (

-Rotten Fish-

• Dark Lord
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 05:21:21 PM »
thanks for all the support guys. I was raised  a roman catholic and am a Religious Studies student in higher education so that should definately help.

I picture the church to be almost gothic in a way, i picture the cathedral in the nobles district to be very dark and sinister at night. with the gargoyles and similar decorations casting strange shadows.
anyone who knows a little about the warhammer world, will know what i mean when i say i picture it to be a bit like the faith of Sigmar of the empire, or  the space marines emporer. and have based my character tiberius roughly on the warrior priests and similar figures of this world.

what sort of feel do you guys have on the church that i can incorperate into my playing?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 05:24:34 PM by Hastian »
Konrad Kruschev - R.I.P

Truth

• Dark Lord
    • Myspace!
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2007, 05:24:05 PM »
Me and Corneilus made a LG and a LE preacher of Ezra together to make contrast characters with the same goal, I might be interested in playing him every now and then again when the factions not busy.
THE NATION THAT MAKES A GREAT DISTINCTION BETWEEN ITS SCHOLARS AND ITS WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS. -THUCYDIDES

arrmuth

• Undead Master
  • Honor is everything.
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2007, 11:56:34 PM »
Excerpts from Gazetteer IV

"The heart of the Church lies within the Great Cathedral,which towers over the rooftops of Levkarest.With its last stoneset in place just twelve years ago,the Great Cathedral remainsa gleaming monument to Ezra's glory--and less overtly,to the wealth and power of her church. The Great Cathedral isa fortress of white marble and stained glass,employing its own phalanx of guards."

"The Great Cathedral looms a few blocks away. Its cavernous worship hall's ceiling is covered in marble gargoyles that represent the Legions of the Night,all shying away from the serenity of the huge icon of Ezra above the altar."

Bear in mind the church was founded by Yakov Dilisnya and it is a common misconception that Leo Dilisnya was responsible for the massacre in Castle Ravenloft.  Many Barovians probably think of Ezrites as puppets of the Dilisnya family and thus Ezrites probably have a tougher time in Barovia than Morninglordians do.

Here's another excerpt from the Gazetteer for all you witch hunters.
"Their unease stems from 701 BC,when Praesidia Donella Borovsky issued an edict bluntly calling witchcraft hag magic, declaring that it invariably produced physical and spiritual corruption. The Home Faith never actively persecuted witches,but Borcans grew cold toward Hala's followers.....Praesidia Kristyn Stoyista,Borovsky's successor,rescinded the edict in 732 BC.."

May have been rescinded but whats to stop you...it is Ravenloft.

ArdynnRaven

• Outlander
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2007, 05:33:58 AM »

I made an older LN Cleric of Ezra, who'd essentially been level-drained into retirement.  I wouldn't mind sending him into this little ball of yum, if people want me. :)
Dramatis Personae
Ardynn Salastiir: Mist-Born Paladin
Faeryl Illistyn: The Little Spider
Ilyana Enovich: The Accursed Knight
Jandra Rikaard: The Broken One
Petra Grant: The Bleeding Healer
Tris Leonard: The Distressed Damsel

Elo-EF

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2007, 05:43:16 AM »
Ed is technically an Ezran, but he finds it very hard to reconcile his beliefs with his philosophy as a scientist. If he thought about it enough he'd probably be an Atheist, so he tries not to think about it for fear of offending Ezra. :)

I'm taking a break from the game for a while though, so you're not going to see me on for a week or so.

-Rotten Fish-

• Dark Lord
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2007, 06:41:05 AM »
thats cool, and yea A-raven always good to see players come together.

as for edward Im sure tiberius can persuade him. after all 'Religion without science is lame, but science without Religion is impossible.'
Konrad Kruschev - R.I.P

Figson

• New to the Mists
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2007, 12:31:36 PM »
Hello All,

Here's a little on Rodrigo Iorga...  LN Anchorite of the Borca, the Home Faith, the one and only.  And yes, the Noble District Temple is that of the Borcan faith. (The problem is that it's too far from the everything. So it's a great place for Rodrigo to meditate when not logged on for a while)

Truth

• Dark Lord
    • Myspace!
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2007, 09:19:15 PM »
thats true it's a distance thing, if the ezra church was in the outskirts and not the morninglord then the morninglord wouldnt be as popular as it is.  Even though I think we're more charistmatic
THE NATION THAT MAKES A GREAT DISTINCTION BETWEEN ITS SCHOLARS AND ITS WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS. -THUCYDIDES

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2007, 09:24:20 PM »
thats true it's a distance thing, if the ezra church was in the outskirts and not the morninglord then the morninglord wouldnt be as popular as it is.  Even though I think we're more charistmatic

And better looking.   :lol:
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Doom

• Dark Power
  • What is pain to Doom?
    • Last Stand Legacy Beta
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2007, 01:22:44 PM »
The Church of Ezra is where it is for a reason, it's where it's supposed to be as per the Gazeteer. The Church of Ezra isn't SUPPOSED to be popular in Barovia, even less so then the Cult of the Morninglord

ArdynnRaven

• Outlander
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2007, 07:58:21 PM »

...as an update.  I don't have a cleric of Ezra, but have folded the Ezrite worshipper into one of my new characters, Petra Grant, of Mordent.  If an Ezrite player sees her on and wants to talk or something, please poke me. :)
Dramatis Personae
Ardynn Salastiir: Mist-Born Paladin
Faeryl Illistyn: The Little Spider
Ilyana Enovich: The Accursed Knight
Jandra Rikaard: The Broken One
Petra Grant: The Bleeding Healer
Tris Leonard: The Distressed Damsel