Public (OOC) > Setting and Lore Discussion

Cthonian Pantheon

(1/1)

Gobbos:
I've read that some people use the Lovecraftian "Cthonian" pantheon in the Ravenloft setting, is that ok here?

Bluebomber4evr:
The Cthulhu Mythos is not a part of the D&D setting, though the d20 Call of Cthulhu book did have rules for adapting the game to D&D. Overall, though, Lovecraft's creations are a different kind of horror than Ravenloft.

Lovecraft wrote what is termed "Cosmic Horror," where the horror is derived from the fact that human morality is utterly meaningless. Lovecraft's universe is ruled by beings that are devoid of morality and human beings are insignificant in the vastness of time and space. Thus most protagonists in the Cthulhu Mythos end up going insane when the learn the truths of the universe.

Ravenloft is all about "Gothic Horror." Matthew L. Martin, freelance writer and Ravenloft fan, said it best:

--- Quote from: Matthew L. Martin ---Ravenloft and Gothic horror are more humanocentric and morally absolutist. In Gothic horror, the villains are fallen mortals, victims of their own sins and misdeeds, dangers to the innocent but also their own worst nemeses. There is Good and Evil in the universe, even if it can be tough to see, and those who follow the ways of light will suffer but triumph in the end, while those who turn to wickedness will have power for a time but ultimately destroy themselves.
--- End quote ---

To sum it up: in the Cthulhu Mythos, morals are meaningless. In Ravenloft, morals are everything.

I may do a write up of the Cthulhu Mythos as an Outlander religion, but as there are no official D&D worlds that worship them, it's not a high priority on my to-do list for the website.

Gobbos:
Alright, just wanted to be clear on that, thanks.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version