Author Topic: Crafting Complaints  (Read 19523 times)

cptpatriot

• New to the Mists
  • Why is the mists so thick here?
Crafting Complaints
« on: September 01, 2007, 11:04:28 PM »
I just finished my first true crafting session, cutting down beech trees, going to the elven place, crafting shortbows, and I go to the city to sell them and I'm offered a SINGLE fang for it.

Is there something wrong here?

At the very least, it should be worth more than the materials I made it from. Even the rotten bows are worth more.

eyeofpestilence

• Dark Power
Re: Crafting Complaints
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 11:41:40 PM »
This is a know deterrent in the system. Consider them practice, and sell some of the resources you get to offset the loss of practice until you become really good. Read the posts on bowyering, smithing, crafting etc. The crafting system is set up to deter people from crafting on purpose in both financial as well as with time required to become good at crafting. Time required has dropped considerably though based upon feedback, so consider yourself lucky. :)

I have spent -many- hours working on Dorin to become a smith. When I say many, most of Dorin's xp from 9 through 12 were related to or around smithing and countless hours to do so. It still consumes a great deal of whom Dorin is as a PC. He is a smith and it has opened many many rp situations because of it. :)

I do have a post that Dorin is asking for Oak Planks and Wooden Handles, 10 fang each. He will pay well for them to supply the war effort of the guards so they have gear. The reason he is willing to pay, he doesn't have to do it himself.

Rotted bows are an anomaly. A prize for those lower lvl's who travel down there and return with them. About the only thing of value in the crypts 99% of the time.

Welcome to the world of crafting. Stick with it and it will pay off. :)

Thanks DW!

Dark_Majic

• Undead Slayer
  • Darkness tastes better
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 05:31:52 AM »
Also the idea is to sell crafted items to players aswell, low prices in the stores encourage this, ravenloft gets in new players all the time so you should find plenty of people who want to buy bows, and people also choose mqany alternative alt charecters so that should help too

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 10:23:55 AM »
Yep listen to Dorin whom we had to convince of the same thing  :mrgreen: as you get better with crafting you'll make much much more money.. altought i have to agree the rotten bow thingy is rather dumb  :oops:

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

Haplo Nexus

• Dark Lord
  • "Innocence proves nothing."
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 11:03:31 PM »
Well, the bows are my main source of income so... :roll:

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 11:26:46 PM »
Yep listen to Dorin whom we had to convince of the same thing  :mrgreen: as you get better with crafting you'll make much much more money.. altought i have to agree the rotten bow thingy is rather dumb  :oops:

For a long, long time, I dumped a lot of time and money into bowcrafting and it sucked. I mean, a LOT of time. A LOT of money... but, you will hit a point where you can consistently make the better stuff at least 1/3 of the time, and despite how much money you spend, you will come out on top in the end.

Now, I rarely worry about money. If I need it, I can get it fairly easily. Master more than one element to crafting, and it becomes even easier.

Crafting is boring as hell. It time consuming. But, stick with it, and you'll pretty much never worry about money again... not the same way other people do. :)

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 01:25:47 AM »
Yep - crafting sucks and is boring as and is a money pit... until you can make the good stuff with the high DC's...

Thats where the money is...

So now I work on commission making Steel Katana etc... I make some money and the players feel good because I make them something special to the point of actually putting my Name to the Weapon!

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 11:23:04 AM »
How much do you think the guy would be willing to pay you for that 100th shortbow you just made? :p

Doom

• Pain? Pain is like love . . . like compassion! It is a thing only for lesser men.
  • Dark Power
  • What is pain to Doom?
    • Last Stand Legacy Beta
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 11:31:14 AM »
We could use some In Game manuals...

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 11:42:32 AM »
We could use some In Game manuals...

Would be nice for forging, since that system is fixed for the most part. Miight be premature for wood, seeing as how some of the things in the system still don't work right. Like, still can't make clubs/maces/staffs from wood that I'm aware of, even though the templates still exist.

eyeofpestilence

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 01:10:26 PM »
I would be willing to write a smithing and seperate guilding guide. If I write one from Dorin, can I get XP and have it show in game as a book? I think Catacomb said Dorin should write one and have it entitled "I can smith, you can too" By Dorin Dolsborn. lol ;)

Thanks DW!

Doom

• Pain? Pain is like love . . . like compassion! It is a thing only for lesser men.
  • Dark Power
  • What is pain to Doom?
    • Last Stand Legacy Beta
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 01:18:46 PM »
all it I am Smithing and So Can You, by Doren "Stephen" Dolsborn

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 02:03:03 PM »
I think it's partly on purpose that there is no such manual in game because of how hard it would be to write it in a non ooc way. And making it ooc would make both for cheese and making crafting 10x easier.

Negnar

• THE Negnar
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 02:35:18 PM »
Well it wouldn't be OOC if Dorin wrote it as he would ICly. Could just make it a book that circulates like Harlee's poetry.

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 03:41:56 PM »
Yeah though describing properties, especially some of what the better items have, might be hard to do ic

Negnar

• THE Negnar
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 03:59:39 PM »
Hard, but I think very do-able, and if somone who has a good crafter takes the time to write one out then they should get the credit.. *nods*

eyeofpestilence

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 05:29:39 PM »
Well it wouldn't be OOC if Dorin wrote it as he would ICly. Could just make it a book that circulates like Harlee's poetry.

What I was thinking of. Creating a book on smithing. A separate addition for gilding. That sort of thing.

Thanks DW!

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 05:46:28 PM »

What I was thinking of. Creating a book on smithing. A separate addition for gilding. That sort of thing.

Why not make one on the forum and  have it as IC knowledge?

Inquizitor

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2007, 04:00:39 AM »
I'd certainly apreciate some instruction on the crafting ssytem.  I've been tryign to feel my way through it.  I was told that it was a waste of time but from this topic I take it that that is not the case?
Current Characters:
(Inactive)Alexandru Tomescu - Caliban - Misunderstood
(Inactive)Vincent "Torin" Nighthammer - Darkon - Apprentice Dwarven Defender
Erwin Alder - Falkvonian - Werner's Bodyguard

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2007, 04:04:32 AM »
if you have the time and the patience, go for it. Personally i aint touching it with a ten foot standard pole.

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2007, 04:54:46 AM »
I'd much rather see it in game if anything. Putting it on the forums makes no sense. IC knowledge achived in an ooc manner like the forums is not as good as having to go through the procedure of attaining the book.

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2007, 05:46:15 AM »
I'd like it as an ingame book...

Crafting gets to a point where it is, indeed, worth it...

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2007, 08:35:17 AM »
Well seeing it appears to be in the interest of most crafters, whoever does put together a book feel free to submit it to me or the other developers to look at, shouldn't take long to get it in game from that point.

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2007, 08:57:25 AM »
I have a quick question, when I was level 6 I thought to myself, crafting is dificult and I have been spending time on it, so when I level I will put a some of my few points into crafting armor and weapons. But, to my amazement, I cannot add points to crafting on leveling up. So, is there another skill that might be effectve in adding skill points to which might aid in crafting?

engelfire

• Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2007, 09:01:56 AM »
not that i know of. improving attributes improves your craft points so if you have access to buff spells those will give few points.
Vino - Who are you calling fat !?
Hekathn - You make a fine collection of bodyparts nnggghhh...