You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Crafting Complaints  (Read 19539 times)

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
Re: Crafting Complaints
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2008, 01:51:45 PM »
From what I've seen with the bug, it makes the wax associated with the failure (and for some reason remaining in the pot) unusable. Remove that wax, and add a new one to replace it.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2008, 02:25:26 PM »
Still sounds a lot like the silver gilding bug

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2008, 02:52:44 PM »
Agreed.

Catacomb

• One of the Regular People
  • Dark Power
  • Yes, very tired.
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2008, 09:31:48 PM »
I think the best way to fix leatherboiling (if it's possible) would be to completely gut the system and replace it with one more like smelting.

1 roll and then everything's a success or failure. (should prolly fix it, since I've never heard of any smelting bugs)

sig by Garison

Account: CatacombD

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2008, 12:39:31 AM »
The difference though, is that you can boil different kind of leathers (with different DCs) in a single 'batch'. Smelting doesn't allow this.

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2008, 02:16:15 AM »
The difference though, is that you can boil different kind of leathers (with different DCs) in a single 'batch'. Smelting doesn't allow this.

No, but with smelting you can put in 3 different kinds of ore at once, and with the first click it does up to 10 of whatever item was placed in the pot last, remove the successes and do it again and it will repeat with up to 10 of the last item placed within from the remainder of the pot.

It might take a few more processes, but it never seems to bug the system.  I think it would be worth it as well.

Sage - When stories come to life

Unana / Rapsutin

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2008, 06:25:25 AM »
Not sure if this has already been talked about, but Ive just been thinking that it would be very nice if some of the crafting supplies like tannin, beeswax, apricot acid etc. would be possible to buy in bundles of ten.  My right hand finger has become sore from buying all that wax I need for my tanning.

Ravenous

• Devourer
  • Dark Power
  • Hunger is eternal...
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2008, 04:54:33 PM »
Not sure if this has already been talked about, but Ive just been thinking that it would be very nice if some of the crafting supplies like tannin, beeswax, apricot acid etc. would be possible to buy in bundles of ten.  My right hand finger has become sore from buying all that wax I need for my tanning.

Oh god yes please!!!

Just a little heads up.. You cant boil more than 10 patches at a time.
And that bug, think it might have happened to me once now, not sure though.. Will continue the leathermaking, only lvl 14 for now anyways..

Sig by Garison

Enki

• New to the Mists
  • Enki Solemknight
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2008, 08:05:21 PM »
Ok, that took a while but I read (very quickly) thru all these crafting convesations and I am disheartened.  I hear of crafting shields to spears, but nothing of boots, cloaks, jewelry.... how bout an ale stien? 
  My real question is this.  I assume there is no crafting other than what is shown on the rest menu,  why is there no crafting that depends on my high Int. score?  Is there even a craft in place to make cloaks, and boots... how bout books..? 

Oh and my little friend here wants to know if there's a way to make neat darts?  or even average darts?

PS.  I think some of you master crafters should get together talk about it.... and just form your own crafters guild in Vallaki, or nearer to your supply or something...

that's all for now...
 thanks... :evil:

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2008, 08:15:28 PM »
it is possible to get darts made with steel/iron/silver i imagine i used to have a halfling who was specialized in dart throwing and bought up any special darts she could find/afford and I recall buying several sets of steel ones off of dorin i belive gotta ask

as for int crafting i imagine that the alchemy implimented crafting thats in the works would take advantage of that i also hope it adds in wis but thats just me

Enki

• New to the Mists
  • Enki Solemknight
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2008, 05:18:30 PM »
wow thanks...
  I was thinking since last time how cool it could be to make books...  I have a char. who recently purchased the "razor fan" which is a book that can be used effectively as a weapon, but cannot be enchanted like a weapon.   Made me think...  what else could be done with books.  Thst char. fancies himself a lybrarian. :shock:

I think wis would also be appropriate for potion making ...  would alchemy differ from potion making?

engelfire

• Dark Power
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2008, 10:48:28 PM »
noticed that steel greataxe has keen -1, while other steel weapons have keen -5.

could smith be able to craft steel greataxes, and sell em for profit ? just figured becouse i can buy steel bastardsword which has keen -5 with 2 fangs, while steel greataxe with 1000 fangs, it has keen -1
Vino - Who are you calling fat !?
Hekathn - You make a fine collection of bodyparts nnggghhh...

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2008, 11:13:03 PM »
There is profit in making a great axe, but not much.

engelfire

• Dark Power
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2008, 12:04:42 AM »
okies

lol i just re-read my question, i made it sound like a bad thing if smith would actually get profit from their creations :D
Vino - Who are you calling fat !?
Hekathn - You make a fine collection of bodyparts nnggghhh...

Helaman

• Dark Power
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2008, 12:16:40 AM »
Smiths are expected to poor 20K-40K into the toilet before they can craft well enough to sell to the PC market... and the Powers that Be want us to drive a player economy to an already glutted market rather than recoup our losses.

Yoshinaka got into profit a while back.

Greatswords, gilded, will net about 300 and about 100 ungilded in profit. You can make SOME money back.

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2008, 03:33:28 AM »
I still think once a weapon is Silvered, it should run on BOOK stats.  Base Weapon damage, -1. 

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Inquizitor

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2008, 05:04:34 AM »
Smiths are expected to poor 20K-40K into the toilet before they can craft well enough to sell to the PC market... and the Powers that Be want us to drive a player economy to an already glutted market rather than recoup our losses.

Yoshinaka got into profit a while back.

Greatswords, gilded, will net about 300 and about 100 ungilded in profit. You can make SOME money back.

The problem is the playerbase just isnt that big to support more than maybe one crafter.  It's not like the weapons or armors break.
Current Characters:
(Inactive)Alexandru Tomescu - Caliban - Misunderstood
(Inactive)Vincent "Torin" Nighthammer - Darkon - Apprentice Dwarven Defender
Erwin Alder - Falkvonian - Werner's Bodyguard

Helaman

• Dark Power
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2008, 05:14:29 AM »
Actually you'd be surprised - weapons get lost via death (and server reset following death), or oozes and slimes, rust monsters etc.

Also there are ALWAYS new characters - not necessarily new players (though we get them too) so we get dry spells and then I get 12K of orders in 2 weeks... but thats mainly with the main smiths on the server being inactive.

However there are way too many steel crafters on the server. Dorin, Daev, myself, Toli, (another dwarf I cant remember), Ruxie (believe it or not) and the Vardo and several other shady PCs are into or close to Steel making levels... meaning that the money comes even slower.

Selling to NPC should still make a profit but its hard to balance between letting smiths make money back and having them farm money by crafting and nothing but crafting until they have insane bank balances.

Yoshinaka has 8K in the bank... thats it. He's owed 6.9K in assorted debts but when they will be paid is anyones guess (though I trust the players 100% that they will), so its no road to riches, it is nice to be able to occassionally make money without dungeoning.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2008, 06:56:44 AM »
Copper weapon -2 damage, Bronze base, Iron +1, Steel +2, Masterwork Option for all materialsadds +1 AB, Silvered = Base damage -1.  Toss in specials like Cold Iron (+2 ab vs Outsiders/fey, Mithral 50% less weight + Masterwork AB, Adamantine = DR armor and +1 enhancement bonus to weapons) and other materials.  Get rid of the Die Adders.  Brings the crafting weapons more into line with the In Game weapons instead of the Mad Rush to get a chunk of silvered steel great sword.

~Rex

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2008, 10:56:05 AM »
it would be unlikely to have masterwork work with the +1 ab, because of how DR works in NWN

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2008, 03:52:15 PM »
it would be unlikely to have masterwork work with the +1 ab, because of how DR works in NWN

So what, Move it WAY up the chart as a lofty goal obtainable by 18th to 20th level People so there is some sort of reward for them at the apex of their craft.  If you can Buy a STICK from the Elves that let's you do it a serious Master Crafter ought to be able to chuck one out, it would be a step component for a craftable magic item at that point, and you could charge accordingly and even knock back the chances of getting one to like something astronomical like 1 in 100.  If you tone back the Die Adders, it's not even remotely unbalancing.

~Rex

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #96 on: June 04, 2008, 06:28:14 AM »
I like my 1d6 damage with my steel greatsword.

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2008, 11:38:19 PM »
mmm, how about maybe, having the finer quality weapons, ie steel or steel silvered weapons, and armors and such, at the very least costing as much as regualr weapons and armor when  trying to sell them  to merchants? If its of a higher quality, why would it cost less than a regular item? Just my odd two cents.

DM Shadowspawn

« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2008, 11:44:52 PM »
To stop power crafting for coin.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #99 on: June 17, 2008, 02:45:11 AM »
But you can power craft Potions for coin, something that's easier to obtain component wise.

~Rex