Author Topic: OCR and Ferry Captains  (Read 1023 times)

HM01

• Undead Master
  • The Department of Gnomeland Security
Re: OCR and Ferry Captains
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2024, 01:52:13 PM »
If playing an outcast isn't hard, you're not playing an outcast.  You would not nor should not be accepted by polite society. 

No one is asking for an easier time here. If you read the original post - the ferryman is fleeing despite having low OCR.

Everyone knows outcasts are to be shunned, that is a beaten horse. This is something that has been around for a decade and suddenly changed. It was never an issue before.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2024, 08:14:23 PM »
Can't even be an elf in some places...

Well, our version of Barovia is somewhat more accepting than PnP Barovia. Here's what the Gazetteer has to say about nonhumans in Barovia:

Spoiler: show
Calibans occur with disturbing regularity in Barovia, though their births are just as often blamed on the influence of vampires, demons, or wizards as hags. Halflings are found exclusively in the large villages of western Barovia, where they live in tiny ghettos. Dwarves are thought to dwell deep in the Balinoks, and wild elves purportedly stalk the Tepurich Forest. Rural Barovians who encounter such nonhumans are likely to consider them monstrous freaks or malicious fey.

I just wanted to point out that none of the sailor NPCs in the Port harbour react to OCR. I always thought this was a deliberate choice, that the seas of Ravenloft are just so full of all the terrible monsters from our stories, that sailors quickly become so incredibly jaded that they no longer care about some hulking, misshapen figure walking by. (And from a coding perspective, I always assumed that OCR is applied as a blanket to all NPCs in a domain and then exceptions are made, so that the sailors ignoring OCR could not have been a mistake. But maybe it still is. Which is why I mention it.

For what its worth, the sailors in the marchand never responded to outcast rating. They all shuffle into an inn at the end of the night, 30 feet away with a caliban right inside.

It was actually an oversight, several NPCs weren't set up to react to OcR when they should have, which I'll fix. I'll increase the OCR threshold for sailors however since, as pointed out, they would be more "open" to others, having been exposed to more dangers on the sea. If you notice unintended outcast rating behavior following the next update let me know, sometimes NPCs are reused in strange locations.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2024, 09:00:07 PM »
No one is asking for an easier time here. If you read the original post - the ferryman is fleeing despite having low OCR.

I'm not sure if we mentioned it but we implemented a hotfix for that bug yesterday.

HM01

• Undead Master
  • The Department of Gnomeland Security
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2024, 09:59:53 PM »
Thanks for the clarification and heads up EO. Overall nice adjustments.  :thumbup:

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2024, 08:39:27 PM »
We've implemented OCR to NPCs that were missing it (oversight) and increased the threshold at which Dementlieu sailors/ship captains react by 4 (so reactions at 20 OCR rather than 16) to represent they are more jaded/less fearful.

I've tidied up some OCR stuff at the same time.