Author Topic: Wall of Perilous Flame Color  (Read 367 times)

Grandeur Accepted

• Theatre de la Cathedrale
  • Undead Master
Wall of Perilous Flame Color
« on: February 12, 2024, 08:58:52 PM »
Could we change the color of Wall of Perilous Flame to be something that indicates its a little more unusual than a basic wall of fire?

I think a darker red or a bright purple would be a good color.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 09:08:47 PM by Grandeur Accepted »
Éléonore de Ambroiseux-Tabouillot

Regular Ordinary Birdman

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Lord
Re: Wall of Perilous Flame Color
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 09:12:56 PM »
+1

I actually would recommend taking this further and granting all types of spellcasters visual effect color changes for cosmetic purposes. It's a neat and personal touch

Bizarro

• Outlander
  • But I am still the Darkness
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2024, 02:35:51 AM »
I think for wall of perilous flames it would be particularly important for players to know.

If you are around with a warlock AND a warmage and they are both using their firewalls. It's good to know wich ones are only fire and wich ones are HELLFIRE doing damage that can't be reduced.

Bounty

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2024, 06:48:43 AM »
+1
purple = win

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2024, 07:46:48 AM »
There could be a rare book drop that changes the flames to green
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir

Casmen

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Outlander
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2024, 08:35:48 AM »
A purpleish yellow would fit well with it being eldritch and fire

Murd

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2024, 09:27:43 AM »
+1

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2024, 10:22:02 AM »
I will play the devil's advocate again here, but the wall of fire isn't supposed to be of a different color than normal fire. It is also fair and proper that some dangers, even as deadly as the Wall of Fire, be something to be learned in game. Though I recall here that due warnings are already given to the characters before they get in the fire damage zone, or it used to anyway (let me know if it's no longer the case).

What we can do is to double check in the source material what the Wall of Fire is supposed to look like and make sure it is as faithfully represented in game as possible considering engine limitations and server performance. If required, we can extend the area where players are first getting warnings they are approaching something unusual.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Lightweaver

• Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2024, 10:28:22 AM »
In a nod towards making the world burn, I suggest it rendering invisible.

Ryujin

• The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Undead Master
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2024, 10:29:45 AM »
I will play the devil's advocate again here, but the wall of fire isn't supposed to be of a different color than normal fire. It is also fair and proper that some dangers, even as deadly as the Wall of Fire, be something to be learned in game. Though I recall here that due warnings are already given to the characters before they get in the fire damage zone, or it used to anyway (let me know if it's no longer the case).

What we can do is to double check in the source material what the Wall of Fire is supposed to look like and make sure it is as faithfully represented in game as possible considering engine limitations and server performance. If required, we can extend the area where players are first getting warnings they are approaching something unusual.

I'm not sure any warnings are ever given for the Warlock Wall of Perilous Flame, nor regular Wall of Fire spells. Except for players shouting to stop standing in it i suppose.
I believe you are referring to the 'wall' in Har'akir though, with this?
Active: Naexalim Alearaheal. Chen Mei
Shelved: Corin Bluespire, Osirion Shivan, Dukgeth, Nephros Ekret, Valathar El'lyn. Closured: Cyrun Mask

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2024, 10:34:48 AM »
Lol! I was, and realize I was totally out of context here. Too early, not enough coffee (even though I don't drink that foul stuff). Apologies. Now, it's a different matter now, worth looking at. I promise it will be discussed at the dev table.
Best Regards!
MAB

Grandeur Accepted

• Undead Master
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2024, 10:40:28 AM »
Ironically enough, per the source material , ALL walls of fire are supposed to be "violet."

Spoiler: show
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S, M/DF (a piece of phosphor)

EFFECT

Range medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect opaque sheet of flame up to 20 ft. long/level or a ring of fire with a radius of up to 5 ft./two levels; either form 20 ft. high
Duration concentration + 1 round/level
Saving Throw none; Spell Resistance yes

An immobile, blazing curtain of shimmering violet fire springs into existence. One side of the wall, selected by you, sends forth waves of heat, dealing 2d4 points of fire damage to creatures within 10 feet and 1d4 points of fire damage to those past 10 feet but within 20 feet. The wall deals this damage when it appears, and to all creatures in the area on your turn each round. In addition, the wall deals 2d6 points of fire damage + 1 point of fire damage per caster level (maximum +20) to any creature passing through it. The wall deals double damage to undead creatures.

If you evoke the wall so that it appears where creatures are, each creature takes damage as if passing through the wall. If any 5-foot length of wall takes 20 points or more of cold damage in 1 round, that length goes away. (Do not divide cold damage by 2, as normal for objects.)

Wall of fire can be made permanent with a permanency spell. A permanent wall of fire that is extinguished by cold damage becomes inactive for 10 minutes, then reforms at normal strength.

I like to think of it more that if I was DMing at the table with my friends and they said they wanted to have green or purple fire, I'd do it because it's cool.

I don't think Wall of Perilous Flame specifies the fire is any particular color. It also doesn't specify it can't be any color, and flames naturally (and supernaturally!) exist in different shades.

I would attribute it to one of those things we would have the agency to interpret ourselves if we're willing to follow the rule of cool.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 10:42:35 AM by Grandeur Accepted »

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2024, 10:45:30 AM »
The official description in source material says "that it creates a wall of fire as per the spell". But I don't disagree with the idea that a caster could make the flames a different color. It remains to be seen what the engine can do in this regard.
Best Regards!
MAB

Grandeur Accepted

• Undead Master
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2024, 10:47:14 AM »
Thanks for the consideration and for bringing it up to the dev table, nonetheless. Ya'll can cook for a bit on the idea.

Avela

• Undead Master
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2024, 07:05:56 PM »
+1 to everything said here
Character List:

Feyvera Le'for (Main)
Lady Ellavyra
Mi'zzerrah Rilyn'qai

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2024, 05:45:09 AM »
I'm going to argue against random flame colors. Some flame colors are a result of flame temperatures, a blue flame burns hotter than a yellow flame, and I remember an old wives' tale about purple flames being hot enough to ignite the atmosphere. There are some things that can be done to make green and blue and even brighter red, orange, or yellow flames by burning certain materials, but randomly changing the color of a fire to express yourself personally is a little to cliché, for me.

I don't think this is possible to do, but I'd totally be down for a higher-level wall of flame or whatever to be burning a bright blue, instead of red to represent how much more damage the wall does, though, similar to the difference between a regular lighter, and a butane torch.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2024, 12:22:48 PM »
So I dug further into this. We do not have suitable VFXs for flames of other colors and that's where the cookie crumbles.
Best Regards!
MAB