Author Topic: Varias Von Ioanovich - The Black Bat of Barovia  (Read 319 times)

Goetia

• New to the Mists
Varias Von Ioanovich - The Black Bat of Barovia
« on: August 18, 2023, 08:15:48 AM »

Varias von Ioanovich, the Black Bat of Barovia.

Captain of the Black Company

A family of land-owners on the foothills of Mount Baratok, a family homestead existed in the Vallaki Valley overlooking the Lake Zarovich; the von Ioanovich family had lived there for many years in relative material comfort. Vladymyr with his wife Ionetta had two sons and a daughter, Varias, Vasily and Valentina.

Varias was destined to become a man of war and horse. His father had prepared for him to squire, of sorts, under minor nobility closer to Vallaki wherein he'd earn his living and forge his own path, far less suited to the family mercantile trade and business that his younger brother Vasily showed such aptitude for. He was in the early throes of his training when tragedy struck -- Valentina was found drowned in the Lake Zarovich. Her hands and feet bound and tongue stolen.

It was the beginning of the end for the days in the Barovian sun for the von Ioanovich family; Varias was to lose both mother and father in a similar fashion, drowned or slain in some occultist fashion upon the murky shores of the Zarovich. Rumour began to spread, and before long the Burgeonmaster's men came to the family estate -- the account is as shrouded and foggy as the Svalich woods... all that is known, is that Vasily was slain and the house set to the torch. Nothing remained on the ground where the von Ioanovich family once called home, and the surname bore a sour taste laced with tragedy, unspoken by the common and fearful folk who didn't wish to tempt whatever curse befall such a blessed and hale family.

Varias remained training, and before long, sailed and marched in different hosts - a sell-sword and warrior of the Barovian nation. And despite his family's tragic past, a leal patriot with a rife suspicion of outlanders and the curse they bring.

Years had passed, and in the year 773, Varias von Ioanovich was a competent commander with a host of foul-mouthed warriors at his side. Dubbed "The Black Company", these Barovian warriors would find themselves in all sorts of trouble. From bringing in bounties to Vallaki, to crossing the realm to do battle for coin. The Black Company fought against Old Night, ensuring the safety of their native people when the Garda could not. It was here that Varias left the Company for a short while, departing to the Port-a-Lucine on business, where the Company devolved into anarchy. With the absence of Varias, a Serjeant of the Company began to lead men and soon turned to staking out in the woods to extort from outlanders, and even attack native Barovian settlements. The Black Company soon became synonymous with brigands in parts of the outskirts, lack of battle, purpose and most importantly their Captain - the group was hunted down and put to death, the killing blow dealt by Varias himself when he'd tracked down the last of the brigands, a former Sergeant named Marius, who had turned the men brigand and deemed himself the new Captain after a period of absence.

His actions, however, were not well liked by the Garda. More vigilantism, they'd decried. He was sentenced to be executed, and allegedly was. Though some hushed whispers speak of deals made and sympathies given for the by now infamous 'Black Bat', the Barovian who led his kin against the Old Night furiously.

All that is known now, is that he has returned and with a small host of like-minded native men. The streets of Vallaki a battlefield at night once more, as the Black Company battle the demons of the night.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 08:17:27 AM by Goetia »

Goetia

• New to the Mists
Re: Varias Von Ioanovich - The Black Bat of Barovia
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2023, 08:35:32 AM »

In Barovia’s dark, 'neath a moonless sky,

Varias moves silent, with a steely eye.

The "Black Bat" he's named, by the folk below,

For in the night’s shroud, he brings doom to his foe.

His cloak sweeps the ground, obsidian and vast,

Each step a whisper, a ghost from the past.

The Neuri fear him, those creatures of night,

For he hunts them with unyielding might.

~ Trihani Baubblebang, on the road to Blaustein.

Goetia

• New to the Mists
Re: Varias Von Ioanovich - The Black Bat of Barovia
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2023, 08:39:47 PM »

Month 9, Day 2.

The days in Barovia now are much to bear, I'd spent the majority of my morning in the Ezrite Chapel within Raduta Keep's grounds; sitting and musing on life and realising that I'd had this faith inside, and it seemed to speak to me loudly. Sacrifices made amongst the mist for the greater good, for those lesser folk caught within, powerless to do anything beyond suffer.

My walk back toward the outskirts where I remain banished was adventurous, a pilgrimage turned into yet more friendship and chance meetings with the horrors of old night. Survived, only just. The faith I'd found drew me through. And then it happened, the fiery inferno and rumbling from the grey city. I investigated and found, to my horror, the broken and charred bodies of women, children and peasants strewn amongst a ruined slum. Work of the Gundarakite, no doubt. I'm glad I summoned the Company to return to work when I did, I hope we can make a change - with my newfound faith guiding me. I know we can make a difference, lift my banishment and live in comfort.

I was pleased that so many old comrades returned to the fold from the Old Company; Otto the Outlander, Virgil the Bard, Marath the Wizard & his two retainers, who we are yet to know. Tiberiu also showed his face, although fleetingly, I'm sure he's already good at work securing us contracts. There's a strong number already in our company, and I'm certain more will follow like the old days. Barovia is a chaotic place, full of conflict, I'm sure we can do well here.

VVI

The reformation of the Black Company, late summer 778.