Author Topic: Schattenjäger - Rafael von Zeller  (Read 479 times)

Gothic

• New to the Mists
Schattenjäger - Rafael von Zeller
« on: May 30, 2023, 12:19:37 PM »

The sibling rivalry?

Amidst the sun-drenched courtyard, vibrant with the fragrance of blossoming flowers, a spirited exchange between two brothers unfolded. Gabriel, the elder of the two, had always carried the weight of his lineage with pride, embodying strength and discipline in his every move. Yet, despite his seasoned prowess with the wooden training sword, he once again found himself sprawled upon the cobblestones. His younger brother, Rafael, exuded a mischievous energy as he revelled in his triumph, a radiant smile adorning his face.

The scene was one of jubilant camaraderie, as Rafael extended a hand to lift his brother from the ground, a symbol of their unbreakable bond. Laughter echoed through the courtyard, intermingling with the gentle rustle of leaves overhead, as if the very air celebrated their shared joy. In that moment, all seemed harmonious and serene, a fleeting respite from the tumultuous world that lay beyond.

However, nestled within the heart of this idyllic tableau lurked the stern countenance of Baron Herman von Zeller, their patriarch, his watchful gaze betraying a deeply rooted concern. Though love for his sons coursed through his veins, the baron could not ignore the disquieting truth that plagued his thoughts: his eldest, Gabriel, seemed unable to overcome the challenges set before him by his audacious sibling and the younger. Rafael lacked all the qualities he deemed essential to be his heir, but even if he didn't it could never come to be, he was not the first-born.

Baron von Zeller reached a solemn resolution. Only a journey to the venerable confines of St. George's Abbey, home to the devoted Benedictine monks, could provide the necessary tools to instill humility, obedience, and a relentless work ethic within the wayward young man. Years of prayer, rigorous study, and arduous labor under the unyielding grip of a disciplined schedule would surely forge Rafael's character and prepare him to serve as a steadfast aide to the next Baron von Zeller.

Thus, a decision was made, as the wheels of fate began to turn. Herr Herman von Zeller, driven by a deep-seated belief in the transformative power of steadfast devotion, resolved to send his youngest son on a path that would lead to growth, redemption, and an irrevocable change in the fortunes of the von Zeller dynasty.

- But I love my brother so, if I knew that's what it would take I would just yield and lose to him every time. If I can't be there for him, who will? Father barely cares, everything left to retainers, servants. Who will protect Gabriel?
~ And is Gabriel even fit for that? Why? Just because he happened to be born before me? I should never think of such again but to return to him soon as I can.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 06:27:18 PM by Gothic »

Gothic

• New to the Mists
Re: Schattenjäger - Rafael von Zeller
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2023, 07:26:14 PM »

The departure: Wolfgang's gift.

"This is your true legacy, Rafi" whispered his troubled uncle, his voice weighed with solemnity. The young lad, Rafael, the junior sibling of the two, stood before him, absorbing the weight of his uncle Wolfgang's final words. In that fleeting moment, as the sun began its descent behind the horizon, a hidden understanding passed between them, like a secret pact sealed in shadows. Leather-bound books, concealed within the folds of Rafael's backpack, exchanged hands, their presence silently acknowledged.

No words of protest escaped the youth's lips, for he had long learned to tread cautiously around his uncle's tales, woven with threads of whimsy and melancholy. The promise of these books whispered of a respite from the unyielding grasp of scripture that would dominate his daily existence now on. A glimmer of curiosity danced in his eyes, as the anticipation of new stories and knowledge ignited a flicker of excitement within his soul.

With the clandestine exchange complete, Rafael stepped onto the wagon that awaited him, poised to carry him far beyond the boundaries of the von Zeller lands. As the wheels creaked and turned, propelling him deeper into the embrace of the enigmatic Black Forest, an ancient arboreal realm awaited its newest resident. Here, amidst the towering sentinels of nature's majesty, Rafael would find his home for the foreseeable years, nestled within the hallowed grounds of the abbey. It seemed a fitting coincidence that this sacred enclave bore the name of St. George, the very patron saint cherished by the von Zeller lineage, an emblem of valor and pilgrimage.

The wagon pressed on, traversing the winding paths that snaked through the verdant heart of the forest. The rhythmic sound of hooves resonated with the symphony of rustling leaves, as if nature itself whispered a soft lullaby, bidding Rafael to surrender to the mysteries that lay ahead.

- I never doubted your good intentions but I'm not a child any more, the world is not within your books, these are just the diaries of a troubled soul, what good will they do to me? Maybe pass the time, nothing more.
~ At least poor old Wolfgang doesn't treat me like I'm useless, that's more than I could say for everyone else.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 06:27:06 PM by Gothic »

Gothic

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2023, 06:26:19 PM »

The Confession.

A disturbing presence lurked within the depths of the creature's eyes—a haunting blend of humanity and something altogether alien. Was it a void, devoid of all emotion, or did a sinister malice simmer behind those murky depths? Its decaying flesh, nearly sloughing off in gruesome tatters. This abomination possessed a sinister awareness, a twisted cognizance of the atrocities it was about to commit.

As the wicked mace was hoisted high, Rafael instinctively raised his blade in a desperate bid to block the impending onslaught. But the creature, its mouth contorted into a grotesque mockery of humanity, unleashed a vile torrent of diabolical words that resonated with otherworldly power. Blinding light erupted, assaulting Rafael's senses, leaving him momentarily defenceless. In that excruciating moment of vulnerability, the wicked spikes of the creature's weapon pierced through flesh, digging deep, rending skin and cracking bone.

With a gasp, he awoke, drenched in a chilling sheen of perspiration. Night after night, the torment of this twisted nightmare plagued his restless slumber. Rationality urged him to acknowledge its illusory nature, but the visceral intensity of the experience made it all too real, a relentless assault on his psyche.

Months of silent suffering passed, until the burden became too heavy to bear alone. Driven by an insatiable need for respite, the youth finally mustered the courage to unburden his tormented soul. In confiding his nocturnal horrors, he hoped that the weight would be shared, lightening his own load and granting him the solace he desperately sought.

However, the response he received was far from empathetic. Instead, a voice, tainted with frustration and disappointment: "This is all your mind's work, brother Rafael. Perhaps if you actually studied what you should instead of reading those journals you might get rid of the nightmares. Work more, study more, give yourself to your brothers not some ill man's fantasy".

- I know it is all but a dark fantasy but it feels so real. That is how it felt for uncle Wolfgang too, is it possible? What do these monks even know? Not like they do much for all the good they preach, what good is it if they remain here in their confines while heathens and heretics roam the world?
~ I should silence myself and make amends for such thoughts, it is not my place. Maybe I too will end up a crazy fool like Wolfgang.

Gothic

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 10:46:10 AM »

The Awakening.

The pungent odour of decay assailed Rafael's senses, engulfing him in a sombre veil within the depths of the crypt. The repulsive, putrefied remains of a once revered clergyman loomed before him, poised to be his final sight before departing to meet his maker. As the mace swung menacingly, threatening to shatter the youthful visage of Rafael, a distinct realization coursed through him. This haunting, recurring nightmare possessed a heightened intensity, each occurrence infused with ever more intricate details. Perhaps these vivid embellishments sprang forth from his fertile imagination, influenced by the chilling accounts and narratives of his uncle Wolfgang.

Yet, an inexplicable sense of discord permeated the air, as if the pieces of the puzzle were finally falling into place. The weariness had become insufferable, the monotonous routine increasingly oppressive. The beads of perspiration that adorned Rafael's brow, a testament to countless sleepless nights plagued by the torment of these vivid, abhorrent dreams, intensified his longing for respite. Amidst a chaotic flurry of images cascading before his eyes, the encompassing darkness transformed into a radiant blaze. And there, amidst the ethereal luminescence, materialized a towering figure, resplendent in gleaming armour, evoking the brilliance of the sun itself. Dragons and crosses intertwined, adorning the knight's regalia, while a billowing crimson cloak graced his broad shoulders, swaying gently in a celestial breeze. Compassion radiated from his resolute countenance, piercing azure eyes and cascades of golden locks flowing beneath a majestic helmet. In his firm grasp, a silver sword and a shield, held with unwavering strength. A radiant halo crowned his noble head, an emblem of sanctity.

A brief moment, stretching like an hour, enveloped Rafael in a profound serenity. Within that tranquillity, he found solace, inspiration, and an unyielding resolve. The warrior, with divine purpose, directed his blade towards the vile horde of undead. It was akin to a dream within a dream, compelling Rafael to relinquish his own weapon and extend his hand toward the accursed foe. As if obeying an irresistible impulse, he unleashed a burst of warm, potent radiance that obliterated the abomination, vanquishing it once and for all.

Rafael closed his eyes, anticipating the dream's denouement. Perhaps this marked the culmination of his harrowing nightmares, offering him a chance to awaken, finally, rested and revitalized. When he opened his eyes once more, however, the crypt remained, and the remnants of the abhorrent creature stood before him. Twin sarcophagi loomed ahead on both sides, cloaked in darkness, perpetuating a clammy dampness. The air stagnated, heavy with the stale scent of decay. His wounds persisted, tormenting him with unrelenting pain.

This time it was no dream.