Author Topic: Feat Idea: Using strength to determine AB for throwing weapons.  (Read 447 times)

Glimmrang

• New to the Mists
As stated in the title, I think it'd be a good idea to add a feat akin to Zen Archery that allows the use of strength to determine a player's AB when using a throwing weapon (such as throwing axes, darts, etc). Throwing weapons, outside of niche builds, are mostly underutilized and classes that would often be able to carry a large amount often lack the dexterity to see much improvement over just using other ranged weapons (if they elect to use one at all). A feat like this, Brutal Throw, was included in the Complete Adventurer for 3.5 edition, and I feel it would be a good addition to the list.

Brutal Throw for reference
https://dnd.arkalseif.info/feats/complete-adventurer--54/brutal-throw--278/index.html

ChrisRanHimselfOver

• Undead Slayer
Re: Feat Idea: Using strength to determine AB for throwing weapons.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2023, 09:07:22 PM »
Just bumping this cause I think this is would be a good addition to the server.
Currently Playing: Coltan Viris
Shelved: Tristan Hawkins, Robin Moreau

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2023, 10:15:28 PM »
My only real concern here would be an overlap with mighty. As a zen archery or dex build would have to rely on two stats, 1 for damage, 1 for AB, where a strength based character can now only depend on one

zDark Shadowz

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2023, 10:27:51 PM »
It's in 3e source. If it is doable, cool.

Throwing weapons are heavy as their cost compared to a bow and thousands of 0.0 weight bolts and arrows and it takes forty or fifty throwing axes for just one minute of combat.

It's doubtful they'll be as dependant on throwing as they are melee, but if they were that's a *lot* of used up capacity.

ChrisRanHimselfOver

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2023, 10:38:04 PM »
My only real concern here would be an overlap with mighty. As a zen archery or dex build would have to rely on two stats, 1 for damage, 1 for AB, where a strength based character can now only depend on one

I'm not sure that really is a problem considering we're getting a feat with the next HAK update that adds a character's dex bonus to damage with some ranged weapons. And that's a single stat for AB, AC, and Damage.
Currently Playing: Coltan Viris
Shelved: Tristan Hawkins, Robin Moreau

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2023, 12:48:29 AM »

I'm not sure that really is a problem considering we're getting a feat with the next HAK update that adds a character's dex bonus to damage with some ranged weapons. And that's a single stat for AB, AC, and Damage.

Fair enough forgot that was happening

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2023, 06:02:26 PM »
The main obstacle remains the fact the combat system is hardcoded. It would otherwise have been implemented long ago.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.