Author Topic: Staggered Roll Out for Existing Gear Enchanting Crafting changes?  (Read 246 times)

Madame Trousers Son

• Gendarmerie
  • Dark Power
I wanted to raise a suggestion for staggering the roll out for the enchanted crafting changes to existing enchanted gear, which will be in the pipeline now that the HAK's dropped.

By this I mean, for example:

Week 1: limit the changes to just full plate
Week 2: implement the changes to all other types of metal armour
Week 3: cloth armour

etc. etc.

If it's not practical to limit the changes this way because of the nature armour, perhaps doing it another way:

Month 1: Cloth Armour

Month 2: Metal Armour

etc. etc.

If there's concerns about fairness, then maybe the order can be picked randomly. I'm not trying to wheedle an advantage for anyone here.

My concern is that if it's all brought out at the same time in a Big Bang, people will be hogging the services of crafters, enchanters, and DMs getting their stuff fixed, and this will cause a general hassle and be detrimental to the server. Not to mention that DMs are pretty overworked right now and would become a very tight bottleneck if anything went wrong.

The idea then behind staggering out these changes over weeks or even months is to not overload either the player base or the DM team.

When I say limiting the changes here, I don't mean stuff like changing +2 universal saves to +1 universal saves. That's pretty uncontroversial. I refer more to the material changes.

The specifics of my idea may not be precisely workable, but I would really strongly encourage finding some way to spread out the impact of this change over time. The idea of this all hitting the server in one Big Bang sounds like it would become a big OOC (and IC) headache.
"The Machinery of Justice will not serve you here – it is slow and cold, and it is theirs."

- Richard K. Morgan, Altered Carbon

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: Staggered Roll Out for Existing Gear Enchanting Crafting changes?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 07:43:45 AM »
Hello.

First thing first. Just to reassure you all, we still are a while away from that change. We will be using the following few weeks in tweaking and fixing the HAK bugs that didn't show up during the testing phase. Only then we'll we start working on the conversion script. We'll take the time to make it right and test before rolling it out.

It will be all at once though. The change is not on a per item type basis, but on a per component basis. Granted some components are more likely to be used in certain crafts than others and it could be staggered that way. But on the technical side of things, it will be easier to implement and less prone to errors to do it all at once. If the script to convert the property of a component works for one component, it will work for all components.

The crux of it is also that the bottleneck you expect will likely occur regardless. It is obvious by now that the overwhelming majority of items that will require a remake will be bodak lined armors and electrum gilded items (though hold your horses on that last part, high level shapechangers dungeons are being considered). Most other component changes are not as controversial or problematic.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Madame Trousers Son

• Gendarmerie
  • Dark Power
Re: Staggered Roll Out for Existing Gear Enchanting Crafting changes?
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2023, 07:50:28 AM »
Yeah, I acknowledge the bottlenecks will exist anyway, it's just that if there's any way to spread out the pain somehow, I think that would take some of the stress and hassle out of the change. After all bottlenecks are all about flows/rate of change.

If it's not feasible then it's not feasible, just wanted to raise the idea.
"The Machinery of Justice will not serve you here – it is slow and cold, and it is theirs."

- Richard K. Morgan, Altered Carbon