You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Maison d'Abbatage -- special safe  (Read 399 times)

Madame Trousers Son

• Gendarmerie
  • Dark Power
Maison d'Abbatage -- special safe
« on: March 31, 2023, 06:44:02 PM »
The special safe at the Maison d'Abbatage seems like a particularly weak loot spot most of the time. For instance, I just opened it to find a Candle of Visibility, a Ring of Arcane Stillness, and Hands of the Dawn. This was at max spawn.

Not sure if the loot is averaged out over the other chests in the dungeon, but if not, this one seems bad enough to be worth commenting on, especially as many PCs will probably be having to pay quite a bit to open it.
"The Machinery of Justice will not serve you here – it is slow and cold, and it is theirs."

- Richard K. Morgan, Altered Carbon

Skelni

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
  • You can always contact me
Re: Maison d'Abbatage -- special safe
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2023, 06:48:53 PM »
Pretty sure it's affected by the spread of loot throughout the other containers. And that being the case then it's more a less a buy-in to not miss the chance on any potentially good loot, right? I think it's fine where it is.
Active: Vorrala Dalael

Shelved: Dirge Driftwood - Jezebel Redcherry - Silf Argyros - Ledewif Oberholtz

Closured: Razik Slepnel - Azaulia Curantus - Gavril Dragnea

Irumi

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2023, 06:50:14 PM »
I was told that some people did the dungeon in sneak only to take the safe and that the safe only was affected on the loot level. But i'm not very sure if its true or not.

Madame Trousers Son

• Gendarmerie
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2023, 06:55:08 PM »
The safe sometimes has good loot, but that's not very often. Maybe I've been unlucky. Certainly I'm happy to risk it because my character can open the chest three times cheaper than most other PCs...

Anyway, just thought I'd flag it.
"The Machinery of Justice will not serve you here – it is slow and cold, and it is theirs."

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2023, 08:50:39 PM »
Imho, not an issue. By my experience what happens is exactly what was suggested as hypothesis: the loot seems to be randomly distributed in the dungeon.

By my experience, it is usually one or two really rare items spread in the dungeon and many valuables. I found two ninth level scrolls in one cocoon once.

Obviously the coffer having a high dc and a secret draws attention, but the place is one of the best accessible loot tables of the server, imho.
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

myrddraal

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2023, 09:45:59 PM »
Ive seen much more good loot than bad from there. SOmetimes you just have crap luck.

Madame Trousers Son

• Gendarmerie
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2023, 09:49:08 PM »
Ive seen much more good loot than bad from there. SOmetimes you just have crap luck.

Just to be clear, do you mean from the dungeon in general or from that particular safe?

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2023, 03:43:13 AM »
The safe has the highest container value in the dungeon and has a good selection of items to pull from. It's fine.
Sometimes containers will spit out nothing but vendor trash because the system only parses an item's GP value based on its item properties - NOT how useful it is in the player economy.

Containers have a budget (which varies with spawn level, and also has an amount of randomization). When they're opened, the container looks at its treasurypools (lists of items it can choose from). An item is picked and the GP value is deducted from the budget. Then it rolls again and this continues until 1) no budget is left or 2) it cannot afford any items in its treasurypools and the remainder of the budget is wasted.

Edit:

I went and checked, and for the total budget of the Ring of Arcane Stilness + Hands of Dawn + Candle of Visibility, some examples of things you could won were Ebon Tiger Belt, or a Swordsman's Belt + Scabbard of Blessing, or a Gloves of the Rogue (+2 variant) + Blessed Antlers (and some filler). The total value of the items was at the lower end of the 'normal' range for that container.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 04:23:19 AM by CosmicRay »