You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Dancing with Fey and Fire  (Read 662 times)

Krosenq

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Master
Dancing with Fey and Fire
« on: March 27, 2023, 05:54:34 AM »
This is the weathered journal of Eamon of Kellee, a Tepestani man mostly unknown to the world. The cover is all worn, with dirt smudges and grime stains that tell of its owners hard work. The pages inside aren't much better, yellowed and cumpled from months of being shoved into Eamon's pack, and exposure to alchemical fumes. The first section of the journal contains Eamon's more technical notes, including various alchemical formulas and observations on the properties of various substances and elements. The writing in this section is more formal and scientific, reflecting a deep knowledge and expertise in the field of physical science.

The latter part of the journal reads more like a memoir, chronicling the events and experiences that have led him to this moment.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 09:38:23 AM by Krosenq »
Active: Warrick Geth - Journal and Story

Krosenq

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Master
Re: Dancing with Fey and Fire
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 05:57:50 AM »
Entry 1: A foul bargain

I remember it all so clearly, like it was yesterday. My name is Eamon of Kellee, and I come from the country of Tepest, which borders the mysterious and dangerous Shadow Rift. My life was once ordinary, but that all changed when I made a deal I'll never forget.

Growing up, I was a ranger in training, learning to track and hunt the beasts that roamed the land. But I was never truly satisfied with that life. I yearned for something simpler- for love and family. And so I chose to give up my life as a tracker, and become a farmer, living in peace with my wife and children. Our lives were tranquil, until the day the goblins came. They terrorized the region, slaughtering the innocent and leaving destruction in their wake. Desperate to protect my family and home, I pleaded for help in any way I could.

That night, I had a dark and vivid dream. A shadow fey creature appeared before me, offering a pact that would grant me the power to protect my loved ones. Little did I know that I was walking right into the fey's trap. In my desperation, I accepted the deal, only to learn that the fey had tricked me. While I gained incredible magical powers, the cost was unbearable - my family and friends lost all memories of me. In their eyes, I became a stranger, someone they never knew. I resented the powers the fey had bestowed upon me. The very magic that coursed through my veins served as a bitter reminder of the trickery I had fallen victim to. I hated the fey and their deceitful ways, and I vowed to take revenge upon them. Driven by obsession and a thirst for vengeance, I left my home and the life I had built as a farmer. I set out on a journey to travel the world, seeking weapons and allies to aid me in my quest for retribution. I knew that the path I had chosen would be a difficult one, filled with darkness and danger, but my determination was unwavering. As I traveled, the strange powers grew, and so did my resentment for the fey who had cursed me with them. I honed my skills, learning to wield my newfound abilities with deadly precision, but never forgetting the reason I embarked on this journey.

I ventured through treacherous lands, facing nightmarish creatures and making uneasy alliances along the way. My experiences hardened me, and I became a force to be reckoned with. Yet, despite my growing power, I could not escape the ever-present reminder of the fey's trickery and the life they had stolen from me. In my darkest moments, I found solace in one thing - the thought of revenge. I knew that, one day, I would confront the shadow fey that had doomed me to this fate, and I would make them pay for the suffering they had caused me and my family.

As I continue my journey, I can't help but hold on to the hope that I might one day find a way to restore the memories of those I've lost. And while I despise the dark powers that the fey tricked me into accepting, I can't deny that they have become an integral part of who I am - a weapon I will wield to exact my revenge and perhaps, one day, reclaim the life that was stolen from me.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 12:43:20 PM by Krosenq »

Krosenq

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 06:32:02 AM »
Entry 2: A power unyielding

Time went by, and my journey continued. The powers the fey had granted me became a source of inner conflict. I tried to suppress them, hoping to distance myself from the darkness they represented, but they would not be contained. Instead of manifesting as controlled fey-pact magic, the power started affecting my body in unexpected ways. It hardened my muscles and bones, making me more resistant to the dangers of the world, even to magic itself.
I soon understood that the fey's gift was an integral part of me, demanding acceptance. As I grappled with this realization, I began to explore the new abilities manifesting within me. Not only could I resist magical attacks, but also absorb and redirect them to some extent. This newfound resilience gave me confidence and control over the powers thrust upon me. I harnessed these abilities as weapons against my enemies in my quest for vengeance.

My journey led me through dark forests, ancient ruins, and treacherous mountains, pitting me against twisted and vile creatures. I fought them off, growing stronger with each victory. I saw the potential of the powers within me and how I could use them to achieve my goals.

Still, the memory of my family and friends haunted me. Their absence was a constant reminder of the fey's treachery and the life I had lost. I questioned whether I could reclaim what had been taken from me, or if I was doomed to wander alone, consumed by vengeance.

As I journeyed further into the realm of darkness, I met others wronged by the fey. Together, we formed an uneasy alliance, seeking revenge against the beings that had stolen so much from us. We traveled together, gathering knowledge and strength, seeking out weapons and ancient secrets. As our band of outcasts grew, I experienced a sense of camaraderie and belonging I hadn't felt since my family and friends had forgotten me.

Despite finding solace in my new allies, I couldn't shake the feeling that the fey's treachery had forever tainted me. My powers, despite my attempts to control them, were a constant reminder of the darkness within me. I resolved to use my newfound resilience not only for revenge but also to protect those who had suffered as I had. I vowed to shield others from the fey's deceit and manipulation.

As our journey progressed, we faced countless challenges and enemies. Each battle, each victory, brought us closer to our goal, and the fire of retribution burned brighter within me. But it wasn't without cost. The further we ventured into the heart of darkness, the more we risked losing ourselves to it. I saw the toll it took on my allies and myself. I knew we had to find a balance between the darkness within us and the remaining light, lest we become the monsters we sought to destroy. United by our shared purpose, we pressed on, determined to bring justice to those who had wronged us and restore the memories of those we had lost. Despite the danger, our convictions and bonds sustained us through the darkest moments.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 02:36:36 PM by Krosenq »

Krosenq

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 06:45:20 AM »
Entry 3: Embracing the Flames

Despite my growing mastery of my pact powers and newfound resilience, I soon learned that they were ineffective against the very beings I sought to destroy - the fey. An encounter with one of the creatures had ended in disaster, as my flames conjured through their own magic had no effect on them. The realization that I could not use my powers to exact revenge upon those who had caused me so much suffering left me feeling helpless and frustrated. As my frustration grew, I turned to drink, seeking solace in the bottom of a bottle. My nights became an endless blur of alcohol-fueled anger, as I desperately searched for a way to make the fey pay for their treachery.

One fateful day, deep in the throes of my drunken stupor, I stumbled upon a nest of fire beetles. In my rage, I killed one of the creatures and, without thinking, hurled a bottle of Tsuika at its twitching, dying body. Sparks from the beetle's mouth ignited the alcohol, and in an instant, the cave was engulfed in a blazing inferno. As I watched the fire spread, consuming everything in its path, a realization began to take hold in my mind. The destructive power of fire, untamed and unrelenting, could be the key to defeating the fey. If I could harness this elemental force through alchemy, I might be able to turn it against my enemies and achieve the revenge I so desperately sought. Fueled by this revelation, I threw myself into the study of alchemy, seeking out ancient tomes and hidden knowledge that would teach me to control the power of fire. I spent countless hours experimenting with volatile concoctions, perfecting my craft and learning to create deadly firebombs that could incinerate my foes.

As I honed my skills in alchemy, I began to regain a sense of control over my life and my destiny. No longer reliant solely on the pact powers that the fey had cursed me with, I felt a renewed sense of purpose in my quest for vengeance. In my research, I discovered that the fey were particularly vulnerable to copper. Intrigued by this information, I began to experiment with adding copper flakes to the elemental fire in my concoctions. The results were promising, and I grew increasingly confident in my ability to wield this newfound weapon against the fey.

I sought out fey creatures to test the effectiveness of my copper-infused firebombs. My initial encounters were successful; as I hurled my concoctions at the fey, I watched in grim satisfaction as they were consumed by the flames. Their wings burned away, leaving them robbed of flight and utterly vulnerable. Each battle provided me with valuable insights, and I took meticulous notes, refining my alchemical creations with every victory. The power I had discovered in fire and copper gave me hope that I would finally be able to take my revenge on the shadow fey that had ruined my life.

My allies, too, saw the potential in my newfound abilities. Together, we continued our journey, now armed with a weapon that could strike fear into the hearts of the fey. I shared my knowledge of alchemy with my companions, and we worked together to devise new strategies for combating our elusive foes. Elemental essence mixed with resin would result in a flammable substance that we could coat our weapons in- most effective in combat.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 01:19:35 PM by Krosenq »

Krosenq

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 07:18:41 AM »
Entry 4: The Blackpowder Revelation

As my mastery of alchemy grew, so too did my thirst for knowledge. My travels eventually led me to the libraries of Port-a-Lucine, a bustling city filled with secrets waiting to be uncovered. It was here that I stumbled upon a tome that would forever change the course of my quest for revenge: a treatise on blackpowder and the art of firearms. Intrigued by the potential of these powerful weapons, I began to experiment with firearms, eager to incorporate them into my arsenal. I bought a pistol- a sleek and deadly instrument that would allow me to harness the power of blackpowder to strike my enemies with lethal precision.

The combination of my alchemical firebombs and my new firearm proved to be a potent one. I could rely on the copper-spiked fire to disorient and weaken the fey, leaving them vulnerable to the devastating blasts from my pistol. Determined to hone my skills, I set out alone under the cover of night, hunting stray pixies and fey creatures in the shadows of Barovia. Firearms were illegal in this land, so I had to be cautious, ensuring that my actions remained hidden from prying eyes.

As I stalked my prey through the darkness, I grew increasingly proficient in the use of my new weapon. I reveled in the power it granted me, feeling a sense of satisfaction and control that I had long been denied by my pact powers. In time, I grew bolder in my nighttime hunts, taking on more formidable fey adversaries. My confidence in my abilities soared as I successfully felled each foe, the combination of alchemical fire and blackpowder proving to be a deadly pairing.

Word of my exploits began to spread among my allies and others who had been wronged by the fey. They marveled at my newfound skills and the powerful weapon I wielded, and many sought to learn the secrets of firearms for themselves. I shared my knowledge willingly, knowing that the more we understood these tools of destruction, the greater our chances of exacting our revenge on the fey. However, I was not blind to the risks that came with wielding such power. Firearms were as dangerous to their wielder as they were to their target, and the fact that they were illegal in Barovia only added to the danger. I knew that if we were to use these weapons effectively, we would need to be cautious, strategic, and always mindful of the potential consequences.

Krosenq

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2023, 07:42:33 AM »
Entry 5: The Harvest

As I delved deeper into the art of alchemy and creation of blackpowder, I began to realize that the supply of crucial components was limited, and their acquisition fraught with political challenges. Determined to prepare massive quantities of blackpowder for my war against the fey, I knew that I would have to harvest the components myself. Through my studies in the libraries of Port-a-Lucine, I had gained a detailed understanding of the logistics and supply lines that provided the nation with the components they needed for the creation of blackpowder- and I had also come to understand their limitations.

I learned that the nitre component could be obtained from crystals formed in desert lands, where the humidity in the air was low. Sulphur on the other hand, could be gathered from volcanic rocks. With this knowledge, I set out on a perilous journey to collect my materials. Using a charm that made me unseen, I moved through the Amber wastes in Har'Akir, collecting the crystals that would provide the nitre component. I traveled to Hazlan to collect the sulfur. The journey was treacherous, and the volcanic caves I had scouted out were guarded by fierce lizard creatures- but in the end I was able to gather the necessary materials and make my way back to my laboratory. Through alchemical distillation, I was able to isolate the nitre compounds, which when combined with sulphur, would liberate the elemental fire in charcoal through the alchemical principles I had mapped out.

With all the components in hand, I began to experiment, striving to replicate the formula that would yield a powder that was both potent and stable. After several experiments, I succeeded in creating my own blackpowder- and I even managed to keep all my fingers! As I gazed upon my creation, I felt a sense of pride and satisfaction that I had never experienced before. The power of blackpowder, combined with my alchemical firebombs and firearms, would give me the edge I needed in our war against the fey. While magic is limited by power and aptitude, alchemical weapons are limited by preparation, resources and logistics. Challenges that can be overcome through hard work.

Krosenq

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2023, 08:29:39 AM »
Entry 6: Thunder and Bayonets- The Musket's Might

It was not long before I realized that my arsenal could still be expanded. I had grown accustomed to the finesse and efficiency of my pistol, but I hungered for more versatility in my combat abilities. That was when I decided to add a musket to my collection of weaponry.

The musket, with its longer barrel and bayonet attachment, granted me the advantage I sought against fey creatures that managed to get too close. I found that by coating the bayonet in alchemically enhanced resin, I could imbue it with various effects. The first concoction I experimented with was an acidic resin, which could weaken the fey's defenses upon contact, leaving them vulnerable to my attacks. Another resin I developed was charged with lightning, capable of delivering a powerful shock to my foes, momentarily stunning them and leaving them open for a swift takedown. With each new alchemical creation, I became more adept at utilizing my musket both as a ranged weapon and a formidable tool for melee combat. I practiced relentlessly, training my body and mind to react quickly and decisively in the heat of battle.

One fateful night, under the cover of darkness and pouring rain, I found myself face-to-face with a moth-headed fey creature. Its large, unnerving eyes seemed to pierce through the shadows, and its wings beat silently as it closed the distance between us. As the creature lunged towards me, I expertly parried its first attack using the bayonet of my musket, the blade coated with a layer of my lightning-infused resin. The fey creature shuddered violently as the electric charge coursed through its body, momentarily dazed by the sudden shock. I pressed my advantage, slashing the blade across its chest, leaving a trail of sparks in the air. Despite its injuries, the fey creature was relentless, launching a flurry of attacks. I dodged and parried each strike with the agility of a seasoned warrior, utilizing the musket's reach to keep the creature at bay. The rain poured down over us, obscuring my vision but also serving to amplify the effects of my lightning resin.

With a burst of speed, the moth-headed fey closed the gap once more, forcing me to step back and brace myself. I swiftly switched the musket to its firing mode, as I had practiced countless times before. With the creature momentarily off-balance, I seized the opportunity to deliver a devastating blow. Aiming the barrel of my musket directly at the fey's hideous face, I pulled the trigger. The blast echoed through the night, the flash of the blackpowder momentarily illuminating the scene as the fey creature's head was blown clean off. Its lifeless body crumpled to the ground, consumed by the darkness once more.

I stood there, drenched from the rain, breathing heavily as the adrenaline coursed through my veins. The satisfaction of my victory was palpable, and I reveled in my newfound skills.

The musket has proven itself to be a powerful and versatile addition to my arsenal.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 01:24:56 PM by Krosenq »

Krosenq

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2023, 08:44:53 AM »
Entry 7: The hidden price of Pact magic

In my travels, I had encountered many who had also been touched by dark powers. Yet, not all of them understood the true nature of the deals they had made. One such encounter stands out in my memory, a conversation with a man who proudly called himself a warlock. This man, garbed in robes adorned with unsettling symbols, spoke of his pact with a dark god, boasting about the power he had gained without any apparent cost. I couldn't help but laugh dryly at his naivety, for I knew all too well that pact magic always came with a price, whether or not it was immediately apparent.

I tried to explain to him that the beings who forge these pacts do not care about our well-being. They are ageless horrors that toy with mortals for their amusement, always seeking to manipulate and deceive. The powers they grant us are merely tools of their schemes, bestowed through trickery and ill-intent. In the end, it is they who benefit, while we, the unwitting pawns, pay the ultimate price.

The man listened to my words, his confidence shaken. I could see the doubt creeping into his eyes as he began to question the nature of his pact. As our conversation came to an end, I left him with a piece of advice: always be wary of the true cost of power, for it is often hidden beneath layers of deception and intrigue.

It was a sobering conversation, and it reminded me of the dangerous path that I had chosen to walk. The power that pact magic granted was alluring, but the ultimate price was often too high to bear.As I continued on my journey of vengeance, I knew that I must remain vigilant not only against the dangers of pact magic- but also the allure of my newfound weaponry. The power it provided could be a valuable tool in my fight against the fey, but I must always be aware of the true cost of everything I choose to wield.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 09:22:15 AM by Krosenq »

Krosenq

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2023, 11:04:38 AM »
Entry 8: The Mistcamp

Having honed my skills with blackpowder weaponry and finding the fey creatures of Barovia no longer a worthy challenge, I yearned for greater trials to push myself to the brink of desperation, where true inspiration and growth could be found. With this in mind, I resolved to journey to the mist camp, a haunted oasis nestled within a sea of swirling mists. As I stepped out of the Vistani wagon that had brought me to this eerie place, I was immediately struck by the foreboding atmosphere that enveloped the camp. The air was thick with whispers, and the figures that populated the area were a strange and unsettling assortment.

The mist camp was truly a melting pot of the bizarre and the extraordinary. Among them were individuals bearing horrific dragon features, their scaled wings casting menacing shadows as they moved through the area. There were bored knights clad in gleaming armor, seeking work in lands that offered little excitement. And then of course, there were the merchants and tradesmen, desperately trying to peddle their wares.

As I strolled through the camp, browsing the merchant stalls and taking in the peculiar sights, I encountered a woman who went by the name Midnight. Her flowing red hair framed a face that radiated cunning and skill, and I was immediately drawn to her enigmatic presence. We struck up a conversation, and it wasn't long before I revealed my need for more powerful weaponry. Although I had become adept at using blackpowder weapons, my skills as a smith were still lacking, preventing me from crafting the superior musket I desired for the challenges that lay ahead. Midnight agreed to help me procure the weapon I sought, her eyes gleaming with a mixture of interest and shrewd calculation. With her assistance, I knew that I would soon possess the firepower needed to face even greater foes.

As our conversation drew to a close, I found myself contemplating my next destination. I longed to find a domain inhabited by the strongest fey creatures, where I could test my mettle and continue to refine my combat abilities. The haunted oasis of the mist camp had served as a stepping stone on my journey, but I knew that I must venture forth once more in pursuit of my ultimate goal: to exact revenge upon the shadow fey who had torn my life asunder.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 01:21:55 PM by Krosenq »

Krosenq

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Master
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2023, 11:30:55 AM »
Entry 9: Traps in the mists

My heart pounded in my chest as I raced through the misty forest, the eerie silence broken only by the sound of my own ragged breathing and the unnerving scuttle of the shadow creatures in pursuit. These horrifying, humanoid figures crawled on all fours, their twisted forms blurring the line between nightmare and reality. The chase was intense, adrenaline coursing through my veins as I navigated the treacherous terrain. I darted between trees and leaped over fallen branches, the chilling sound of the shadows' hissing and gnashing of teeth close behind me. In desperation, I occasionally fired my musket over my shoulder, attempting to slow my pursuers.

After several misses, I finally heard the satisfying sound of a hissing roar as one of my bullets found its mark. The creature exploded into wisps of smoke, momentarily disrupting the chase. But the reprieve was short-lived, as the remaining shadow creatures continued their relentless pursuit.

As I sprinted through the fog-shrouded woods, I could see the outline of a trap I had set up earlier a small, well-concealed powder keg. I pressed on, putting as much distance as I could between myself and my pursuers before turning to face them. In one swift motion, I aimed my musket at the keg just as the mass of monstrous shadows stumbled over it in their relentless chase. My shot rang out, and the powder keg exploded in a brilliant cloud of flames and shadowy tendrils, engulfing my attackers and silencing their horrifying cries.

I stood there, grinning in the aftermath of the destruction, the scent of burnt shadow, smoke and gunpowder filling my nostrils. The Vistani had warned me about venturing into the mists alone, and I knew I should have heeded their words. Yet, despite the danger, there was a part of me that felt invigorated by this harrowing encounter, as though it were a necessary trial to push me towards growth and mastery of my abilities.

Krosenq

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Master
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2023, 02:36:46 PM »
Entry 10-  Concealed Ingenuity: A Traveler's Secret

One evening, as I sat in a dimly lit corner of the crafting tent in the mist camp, I found myself deep in thought about how I could modify my musket for easy concealment. I knew that carrying a full-sized weapon would only draw unwanted attention, especially when returning to Barovia for alchemical reagents. My mind raced with ideas, and I could feel a spark of inspiration igniting within me. I quickly retrieved a piece of parchment and a charcoal stick from my pouch and began to sketch my ideas.

The barrel, I decided, could be divided into several smaller sections, each designed to fit together seamlessly when assembled. This would allow me to store the pieces discreetly and reassemble them only when necessary.

For the stock, I envisioned a clever solution. I would split it into two separate pieces, with the rear part housing the lock mechanism and the front part modified to resemble a simple walking stick. This would enable me to carry the most recognizable part of the weapon openly without arousing suspicion.

As for the lock mechanism and the ramrod, I devised hidden compartments that would keep these crucial components both safe and readily accessible. As I continued to draw and refine the schematics, I felt a growing sense of excitement. This ingenious design would allow me to carry my weapon without fear of detection, granting me the element of surprise and the ability to strike when my enemies least expected it.

With my schematics complete, I realized that if I wanted to make my vision a reality, I'd have to take matters into my own hands. This would not only give me full control over the process but also present a golden opportunity to improve my own skills as a craftsman. I was determined to see it through, fueled by a fierce dedication. I gathered the necessary tools and materials and found a secluded workspace where I could dedicate myself to the task at hand. Day after day, I labored over the musket, carefully modifying each component according to my designs. It was a painstaking process that tested the limits of my patience and determination, but I refused to give up.

Slowly but surely, my hard work began to pay off. The individual pieces of the musket started to take shape, and I marveled at the ingenuity of my own design. I meticulously concealed the sections of the barrel within my armor, disguised the ramrod as a belt fastening and adornments divided into sections, and hid the lock mechanism inside a hidden compartment in my cloak. When the last piece was finally in place, I stepped back to admire my handiwork. I had successfully transformed my musket into a concealed weapon that could be reassembled when needed. I now had the means to travel freely across the core during daytime hours.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 02:41:20 PM by Krosenq »

Krosenq

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Master
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2023, 12:28:25 PM »
Entry 11: Ghosts of the past

I awoke with a start. I had just been through a nightmare so vivid and heart-wrenching that it felt like reality. It wasn't the first one, and it wouldn't be the last. In my dream, I had been back in Tepest, standing atop a hill littered with the bodies of goblin attackers. I had made short work of them, my fey pact magic more potent than I could have ever imagined. I felt invincible, but at the same time, an overwhelming urge to see my family once more filled my heart.

I returned home, filled with joy and anticipation, but what I found there was nothing short of a living nightmare. My wife and children cowered before me, pleading for mercy, not recognizing me as their husband and father. My clothes were soaked in goblin blood, and an eerie aura of magic surrounded me. I tried to explain who I was, but my words only seemed to increase their terror. The room felt suffocating as they stared at me with wide, horrified eyes, the expressions of love and warmth I had once known now replaced by cold, unrecognizable fear. Their cries for help pierced my very soul, each plea a dagger twisting in my heart. I could feel the love that once connected us slipping away like sand through my fingers.

In a desperate attempt to make them understand, I reached out to my wife, hoping that my touch would somehow restore her memories of our life together. But she recoiled in terror, screaming at me to leave them alone, tears streaming down her face. I stood there, utterly shattered. As I pleaded with my wife, I began to notice the very fabric of room  starting to unravel. The walls of our once happy home started to crack and crumble, as if the weight of my sorrow was too much for them to bear. The roof caved in, and the floor beneath us started to fracture and give way, plunging everything we had built together into a dark abyss.
My family's screams were consumed by the cacophony of destruction, and I reached out to them, but they were too far away, disappearing into the collapsing void. The world around me fell apart, and with it, the last shreds of hope that I could ever truly return to my old life. The devastation mirrored my own heart, shattered by the choices I had made and the consequences I now faced.

And then, in an instant, the chaos ceased, and I awoke in my bed, gasping for air, my heart pounding in my chest. The dream had served as a cruel reminder of the pain that still festered within me.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 01:26:44 PM by Krosenq »

Krosenq

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Master
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2023, 12:31:06 PM »
Eamon studying in the Port a Lucine library

« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 01:37:38 PM by Krosenq »

Krosenq

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Master
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2023, 12:31:34 PM »
Eamon's weapon.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 01:38:44 PM by Krosenq »

Krosenq

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Master
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2023, 01:15:55 PM »
Entry 12: The Forest Fane

The rumors of a Night Hag residing in the Forest Fane had reached my ears, and I couldn't let such an opportunity pass me by. I had to put an end to this fey horror. Night Hags were known for their terrifying power and cruelty, tormenting the dreams of mortals and feasting on their misery. They were creatures of nightmare and shadows, and the thought of facing one filled me with a mix of dread and determination. I knew I couldn't do this alone, so I enlisted the help of three allies: a skilled blademaster, a master of the arcane arts, and a healer cleric dedicated to an unknown god.

We didn't know each other well, but our alliance was a convenient one. My companions were driven mainly by the promise of coin, while I was fueled by a deep-seated desire to end the lives of my hated enemies. As we ventured deeper into the Forest Fane, the air grew colder and more oppressive. We knew that we were drawing closer to our quarry, and we could feel the weight of malevolent eyes watching us from the shadows. It wasn't long before our suspicions were confirmed.

A sudden, chilling wind whipped through the trees, and dark figures emerged from the gloom: Darklings. Once Vistani who had been exiled from their tribes, these outcasts had become twisted and cruel, embracing the dark powers that permeated the land here. Although they were no longer the Vistani they once were, they retained some of their innate powers, which they now used for more sinister purposes. Their alliance with the Night Hag was unclear, but it was evident that they were working together to spread terror and suffering throughout the region. The Darklings' eyes gleamed with malicious intent, and their razor-sharp blades glittered menacingly in the half-light.

Without warning, the Darklings struck. Darting forward with unnatural speed, they attacked us from all angles, their blades a blur of steel and shadow. I quickly found myself engaged in close combat, dodging their attacks with agility while simultaneously unleashing powerful alchemical concoctions. I used the resin infused with fire to create a flaming barrier between us and the Darklings, buying us some time to regroup. Our blademaster expertly parried and countered their relentless onslaught, his sword a whirlwind of precision and skill. Our wizard wove a complex web of protective spells around us, shielding us from the worst of the Darklings' attacks and disrupting their movements with carefully placed bursts of magical energy. In the heat of battle, I leaped and rolled through the fray, combining my agile maneuvers with well-aimed shots from my musket. As one Darkling closed in on our healer, I fired a shot that caught the man squarely in the chest, sending him tumbling to the ground.

Suddenly, I found myself surrounded by a group of our enemies, their eyes glinting with malice, I knew I had to rely on my agility and skill to survive this encounter. My heart pounded in my chest as I prepared to face them, my fingers dancing lightly over the grip of my musket. With lightning-fast reflexes, I sidestepped a dagger aimed at my ribs, smoothly bringing my musket to bear and firing at the attacker. The Darkling crumpled to the ground, but there was no time to celebrate as another closed in from behind, his blade slashing through the air. Twirling on my heel, I spun my musket like a deadly baton, deflecting the incoming strike and positioning the barrel directly into the chest of my assailant. The gunshot rang out, and another Darkling fell.

My movements were fluid and precise, each step and spin perfectly timed to evade and counter the relentless onslaught. As I weaved through the attackers, I reloaded my weapon with an almost supernatural speed, the musket becoming an extension of my own body. Darting between the Darklings, I fired shot after shot, my speed and marksmanship leaving them no opportunity to land a blow. One by one, they fell before me, their lifeless bodies collapsing to the ground.

As the last Darkling met its end, I stood in the center of the carnage, my breath heavy and my body slick with sweat. The adrenaline still coursed through my veins, a reminder of the deadly dance I had just performed. But this was not the time to rest.
The sound of heavy footsteps heralded the arrival of an enormous ogre. The towering beast bellowed as it charged towards us, swinging a massive club with terrifying force. It was clear that we would need to work together if we were to have any hope of defeating it.

Our arcane caster acted first, muttering an incantation and gesturing at the ground in front of the ogre. The earth beneath the monster's feet suddenly became slick and treacherous, causing it to stumble and lose its footing. Seizing the opportunity, our blademaster stepped forward, his sword flashing as he delivered a series of quick, precise strikes aimed at the ogre's exposed limbs. With the ogre momentarily off-balance, I knew that it was my turn to act. I caught the blademaster's eye and nodded, signaling my intent. He understood immediately, positioning himself between me and the ogre and raising his shield. I sprinted towards him, planting one foot on the edge of his shield and using it as a springboard to propel myself high into the air. As I soared towards the ogre, I felt the familiar weight of my musket in my hands. I took careful aim, sighting down the barrel at the monster's face. Time seemed to slow as I squeezed the trigger, releasing a thunderous blast that echoed through the forest. The bullet tore through the ogre's eye, and it roared in pain and fury as it collapsed to the ground, defeated.

When we finally reached the Night Hag's lair, her appearance was as horrifying as I had imagined. She was a twisted, haggard creature with skin like cracked leather and eyes that burned with malice. Her presence seemed to drain the very warmth and light from the air, filling the space with a palpable sense of dread.

As the battle  raged on, the rain poured down, drenching us to the bone. With each passing moment, my determination grew stronger. I couldn't let this abomination continue to spread her terror. I loaded my musket with a specially crafted bullet, imbued with alchemical fire and filled with copper flakes. Taking careful aim, I pulled the trigger. The shot rang out through the storm, and the bullet struck the Night Hag square in the chest. She let out a howl of pain and rage before collapsing to the ground, her body consumed by the explosive power of my weapon. As she died, a sense of relief washed over me. Another fey horror was vanquished, and the world was a little bit safer for it.

My companions wasted no time in gathering the spoils of our victory, but I took a moment to savor the satisfaction of having put an end to the Night Hag's reign of terror. With the hag's demise, a sense of relief washed over me.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 02:13:10 PM by Krosenq »