You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Suggestion: Certain items in the Drain  (Read 610 times)

Ken14

• Undead Master
Suggestion: Certain items in the Drain
« on: March 24, 2023, 10:51:44 PM »
Just a suggestion, but could it be possible for a vendor in the Drain to sell more crafting items? I'm thinking specifically Charcoal ( only one vendor in barovia known, will not sell to outcast races), but there might be other ones.

I'd say that they sell it at a severe mark-up, though,  like mayhaps thrice the regular price of it or more? That way, people can still RP using proxies to buy it, if they wish for it, but they can still buy it if they can't or don't want to rp something like such out.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: Suggestion: Certain items in the Drain
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 11:03:13 PM »
It is not our intent to do so. It is by design that outcasts do not have access to certain commodities. This is easily circumvented by acquiring the help of other players to buy some for you from the xenophobic merchant.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 11:16:01 PM »
I also genuinely believe most the drain players, including myself, do not want any more incentive for people to come to the drain that are not Caliban's or twists than already occurs. The more you things you put down there that people want, the more people are going to use it like the outskirts and less like the drain.

Spazzer

• Undead Master
  • Greater Spell Focus: Cringe
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 12:02:39 AM »
I also genuinely believe most the drain players, including myself, do not want any more incentive for people to come to the drain that are not Caliban's or twists than already occurs. The more you things you put down there that people want, the more people are going to use it like the outskirts and less like the drain.

This. It's very apparent how many come down there just for the cauldrons, and not because the Drain is for their RP.

Profezzor_Darke

• Undead Master
  • Join my club
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023, 09:00:07 AM »
Especially charcoal seems rather easy to come by as well.

"[...] being cool is never a waste"

Bounty

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2023, 09:37:15 AM »
I could see an argument being made, that if such resources are available to a higher price and it being a less convenient location, it would keep non outcast characters from making use of the services, but encourage more players to play outcast chars. This could lead to more traffic of fitting RP in the Drain. But i do not have a stake in this, since i have not played an outcast in some time and don't know how the situation in the Drain is currently.

TacticalFerret

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2023, 11:21:16 AM »
I could see an argument being made, that if such resources are available to a higher price and it being a less convenient location, it would keep non outcast characters from making use of the services, but encourage more players to play outcast chars. This could lead to more traffic of fitting RP in the Drain. But i do not have a stake in this, since i have not played an outcast in some time and don't know how the situation in the Drain is currently.

There is no reason to believe that there is and/or will be a link between availability of the suggested resources and outcast characters being created/played specifically to utilize those resources. The concern is that unwanted attention will be attracted to the drain if they are made available. Coin is easy to come by. Space is not, especially when it's being taken up by those that otherwise have no reason to be around. This is why there is pushback, and rightfully so.

tom

• Undead Slayer
  • Don't worry I'm a professional.
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2023, 12:20:59 PM »

This, tbh. It's odd seeing non-criminal, non outcast people down there specifically for herbalism. Though I don't really know which NPC sells charcoal so I don't know how much more convenient it would be for someone who is not outcast to go to the drain to get it instead of just going to the normal dude.

KovosDatch

• The Underworld
  • Dark Lord
  • Stinkcoin mint
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2023, 12:29:23 PM »
I'm on the fence about this one.

On one hand, we would give more avenues of crafting and potential RP to outcast characters.
On the other hand, we would have normies going into the outcast areas with no reason. But then that would open up more avenues of rp for the outcasts to tell the normies to beat it and that they are not welcomed there.

Either way, it would generate RP. But then it lessens or cheapens the outcast lifestyle and oppression they face.

Maiyannah

• First Watcher
  • Dark Power
  • Courage is the soul of life.
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2023, 12:58:20 PM »
As someone who only rarely plays an outcast character, I realize my opinion on this may not amount to much but for me this would be a hard pass.  It's already weird af seeing the non-outcasts down there for the pots.
Currently:
Livu Olmstead - First Watcher of Helm
Emmanuelle de le Foret - Ezrite escapee from Hazlan

Also:
Sarabeth d'Gagne - Ghastrian artist
Sabina Ennaies - Barovian road warden

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2023, 04:46:13 PM »
Biggest issue from a convenience standpoint with putting charcoal down there is the normal NPC you would go to for it, shuts down shop in the winter. It would make the drain the only location in a low level area you could get charcoal in january.

Irumi

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2023, 06:31:21 PM »
Wouldn't that solve the problem of making npcs that only respond to bad OCR in the drain and black market?

KovosDatch

• The Underworld
  • Dark Lord
  • Stinkcoin mint
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2023, 07:03:26 PM »
Could always make it seasonally available like it is with the collier.

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2023, 11:56:07 PM »
Again, even if you did you are creating foot traffic in an area where the general consensus of the people who play in the train dont want. It also wouldnt make sense. There is nothing in the drain to mine or really near it, why would crawler just be hanging on to charcoal?

myrddraal

• Dark Lord
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2023, 03:28:45 PM »
Biggest issue from a convenience standpoint with putting charcoal down there is the normal NPC you would go to for it, shuts down shop in the winter. It would make the drain the only location in a low level area you could get charcoal in january.

There are other merchants in Barovia who sell coal, year round.  I know a second in Western Barovia and the smith in the VOB sells it as well.

Non outcast / criminal people also probably havent explored enough of Vallaki to know where the herbalist thats already there is.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 03:31:07 PM by myrddraal »