Author Topic: Can we PLEASE get a Garda for Gabriel!!!!!!!!!  (Read 3988 times)

strangerinthealps

• Undead Master
Can we PLEASE get a Garda for Gabriel!!!!!!!!!
« on: March 18, 2023, 08:15:01 AM »
He’s one of the most important men in Vallaki, and yet he gets one-shotted by rats at least once a day.

From an IC perspective, this makes zero sense, and from an immersion perspective, it breaks immersion for him to die and be brought back day after day.

From an OOC perspective, it is not a chance for interesting role play, it is just a huge inconvenience, especially for players who play in off times, and rely on deliveries. The high traffic causes him to stay dead for hours when there’s no DM, causing traders to have to sit on heavy deliveries and not be able to do much else.

There is zero upside for Gabriel to be dead all the time, and a huge downside.

Can a garda or two post up in the warehouse at night to protect him?

PLEASE!!!!!

strangerinthealps

• Undead Master
Re: Can we PLEASE get a Garda for Gabriel!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 08:50:22 AM »
Better yet, a couple of bodyguards capable of handling wererats.

Honestly, would one of the wealthiest men in Vallaki just chalk up constant death and the cost of resurrection up as a business expense? It’s silly and breaks immersion and detracts from the setting.

rapsam2003

• Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Undead Slayer
  • Stranger Lands...
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 12:59:04 PM »
Or give the man fencing lessons, so he can stab and defend.

strangerinthealps

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 01:05:01 PM »
Or give the man fencing lessons, so he can stab and defend.

I’d rather he be immortal with his current AI so that he just keeps running away. Could create situations for players to rescue him.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2023, 01:05:59 PM »
It'd make more sense for him to shut his door at night or leave for the night.

Wilkins1952

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
  • For good to win evil must do nothing
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2023, 01:07:19 PM »
I think locking the door is a good idea.
"Its like watching people walk up to the line for "Be excellent to each other" and seeing how far they can spit across it." -GMNO

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2023, 01:13:23 PM »
I think this doesn't actually happen frequently enough to warrant a change. Players should just learn not to lead monsters into areas with NPC's to try to escape their own death.

strangerinthealps

• Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2023, 04:20:31 PM »
I think this doesn't actually happen frequently enough to warrant a change. Players should just learn not to lead monsters into areas with NPC's to try to escape their own death.

Yes, players should.

How does that necessitate that other players should suffer for that?

Maiyannah

• First Watcher
  • Dark Power
  • Courage is the soul of life.
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2023, 04:39:11 PM »
It'd make more sense for him to shut his door at night or leave for the night.

People will just use a Knock spell or crowbar, as they do for the crafting hall nearby.  Really he should just leave.  No good citizen of Barovia is conducting business by night.  The fear of old Noapte is strong.
Currently:
Livu Olmstead - First Watcher of Helm
Emmanuelle de le Foret - Ezrite escapee from Hazlan

Also:
Sarabeth d'Gagne - Ghastrian artist
Sabina Ennaies - Barovian road warden

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2023, 04:47:14 PM »

Because it's a dynamic world where one character's actions impact others. This isn't some MMO where everyone can interact with the world ignoring others, nor should it strive to be.

Anyway, if he gets killed too often, the best solution is for him to despawn at night and come back in the morning.

cooachlyfe

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2023, 10:59:10 PM »

Because it's a dynamic world where one character's actions impact others. This isn't some MMO where everyone can interact with the world ignoring others, nor should it strive to be.

Anyway, if he gets killed too often, the best solution is for him to despawn at night and come back in the morning.

Would seeing someone drag enemies into another area would be considered an opt in?

PrimetheGrime

• Full-time Hunter, Part-time Outlaw
  • The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2023, 11:19:59 PM »
No. You can confront the person and demand they stop endangering lives, but you cant kill someone for leading rats into a warehouse

Madame Trousers Son

• Gendarmerie
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2023, 12:42:21 AM »
Might be worth reporting to the Garda however...
"The Machinery of Justice will not serve you here – it is slow and cold, and it is theirs."

- Richard K. Morgan, Altered Carbon

Grendlykins, Simp of Azalin Rex

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2023, 01:07:53 AM »
No. You can confront the person and demand they stop endangering lives, but you cant kill someone for leading rats into a warehouse

One of my characters once landed a sucker punch on someone after they led Dread Ravens back to the Outskirts, along with a slew of filthy language. It's worth considering that PvP doesn't take into account the actual end motivation for your PvP; whether you're aiming to just punch someone for being an idiot, subdue them so they can be arrested by others, etc. I was told at the time that my character's actions were perfectly valid by a DM who happened to be about and I've seen nothing to suggest otherwise in subsequent or prior rulings.

PrimetheGrime

• Full-time Hunter, Part-time Outlaw
  • The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2023, 05:54:56 AM »

One of my characters once landed a sucker punch on someone after they led Dread Ravens back to the Outskirts, along with a slew of filthy language. It's worth considering that PvP doesn't take into account the actual end motivation for your PvP; whether you're aiming to just punch someone for being an idiot, subdue them so they can be arrested by others, etc. I was told at the time that my character's actions were perfectly valid by a DM who happened to be about and I've seen nothing to suggest otherwise in subsequent or prior rulings.

To extrapolate, you can't just attack someone who has led enemies to an area. You can talk to them brusquely/confrotn them and if they wont back down then you could be considered opted in if there was a chance for an opt out, but without that opt out option, it's a no go.

cooachlyfe

• Dark Lord
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2023, 11:25:17 AM »
Then such an action needs to be reportable and could lead ban. Causing Gabriel to die creates several problems for merchants, crafters, and low strength characters and someone who does that deserves more of a punishment than an ic stern talking to.

Wilkins1952

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
  • For good to win evil must do nothing
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2023, 11:49:31 AM »
Then such an action needs to be reportable and could lead ban. Causing Gabriel to die creates several problems for merchants, crafters, and low strength characters and someone who does that deserves more of a punishment than an ic stern talking to.

I disagree with this cause given how sometime Rats can hide in stealth you might not know one is following you until it's already attacking him And it's not fair to OOCly expect everyone to have spot
"Its like watching people walk up to the line for "Be excellent to each other" and seeing how far they can spit across it." -GMNO

cooachlyfe

• Dark Lord
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2023, 02:30:10 PM »

I disagree with this cause given how sometime Rats can hide in stealth you might not know one is following you until it's already attacking him And it's not fair to OOCly expect everyone to have spot
A fair point but it's quite a high amount if negligence to wander at night, attract a stealthed wererat, and move so slow that it ends up following you inside the building before it ever attacks you.

With that being said, there needs to be serious consequences for such negligence whether it be ic or ooc. I personally think it would be easier to place guards to handle such things, that is clearly not the direction the devs want to head toward so I suggest allowing such behavior to be an opt in for pvp or a warning ooc.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 02:50:00 PM by cooachlyfe »

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2023, 02:41:31 PM »
Having Gabriel leave for the night is the best and most logical option. Should be applied to all merchants in Vallaki, except the drain.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

cooachlyfe

• Dark Lord
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2023, 02:51:48 PM »
Having Gabriel leave for the night is the best and most logical option. Should be applied to all merchants in Vallaki, except the drain.

Fair enough, I suppose this would encourage people not to venture out at night. Or just have everyone in Vallaki use the drain as storage.

Zyemeth

• Undead Master
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2023, 07:58:24 PM »
One person's frustration with the vendor being inaccessible for a small amount of time being turned into a removal of the NPC's function for 50% of playtime may not be the most productive result of this thread. Just wanting to point that out since it's been mentioned in many recent threads about how people value their limited playtime and how it's spent on the server. Having to wait over an IRL hour to store something so you can do more than waddle doesn't sound like the most attractive feature to me but I don't really use storage in towns anyway so it won't much matter to me.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 08:01:27 PM by Zyemeth »

Inti

• Undead Master
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2023, 08:18:24 PM »
One person's frustration with the vendor being inaccessible for a small amount of time being turned into a removal of the NPC's function for 50% of playtime may not be the most productive result of this thread. Just wanting to point that out since it's been mentioned in many recent threads about how people value their limited playtime and how it's spent on the server. Having to wait over an IRL hour to store something so you can do more than waddle doesn't sound like the most attractive feature to me ...

+1
“What makes the desert beautiful,' said the little prince, 'is that somewhere it hides a well...”  ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Famous Seamus

• Dark Lord
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2023, 09:49:27 PM »
I respect the reasoning to just have Gabriel close up shop and leave at night. It comes from a place of good intentions and makes some degree of sense within the game world.

However, it doesn't properly fix the problem being discussed. If the issue is that wererats kill Gabriel (taking him out of commission for an hour or more of IRL time) and the proposed solution is to have him leave for the night, that likewise takes him out of commission for slightly more than an hour of IRL time. It doesn't really solve anything at all, except for, possibly, some hassle on the part of a member of the Team who notices that he's been killed and resets his area. Otherwise, we've just taken the original problem (that people can't access Gabriel's services for a set amount of time) and put a new coat of paint on it.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2023, 11:22:38 PM »
I respect the reasoning to just have Gabriel close up shop and leave at night. It comes from a place of good intentions and makes some degree of sense within the game world.

However, it doesn't properly fix the problem being discussed. If the issue is that wererats kill Gabriel (taking him out of commission for an hour or more of IRL time) and the proposed solution is to have him leave for the night, that likewise takes him out of commission for slightly more than an hour of IRL time. It doesn't really solve anything at all, except for, possibly, some hassle on the part of a member of the Team who notices that he's been killed and resets his area. Otherwise, we've just taken the original problem (that people can't access Gabriel's services for a set amount of time) and put a new coat of paint on it.

While I understand that would not be the most popular solution, it IS the solution best aligning with our vision for the server. We do, after all, want players to actually respect the setting lore and pass their Barovian nights indoors to roleplay. Not everything has to be available anytime anywhere, and to have merchants and storage close for the nights is actually a very good way to incite players to do just that: pause to roleplay. You don't wan't to? It's your prerogative, there is still plenty of others things to do at night so limited gameplay time is really not an issue. Though I'd still offer an alternative, I'd have the Drain's NPCs to offer their services at night only. This way we achieve the dichotomy we always wanted. Drain community active at night, surface one by day.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Maiyannah

• First Watcher
  • Dark Power
  • Courage is the soul of life.
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2023, 11:30:50 PM »
While players may constantly disrespect the dangers of the night, the setting NPCs should not.
Currently:
Livu Olmstead - First Watcher of Helm
Emmanuelle de le Foret - Ezrite escapee from Hazlan

Also:
Sarabeth d'Gagne - Ghastrian artist
Sabina Ennaies - Barovian road warden