Author Topic: Lore Checks to Discover Creature Type  (Read 524 times)

ChrisRanHimselfOver

• Undead Slayer
Lore Checks to Discover Creature Type
« on: March 16, 2023, 11:27:45 PM »
I suggest expanding the examine tool to reveal a creature's type according to a lore check.

This could give a mechanical use to the lore skill beyond just identifying items that is in line with one of the functions of the knowledge skills that exist in 3.5.

As it is we can only judge a creature's type by observation in the case of the obvious and testing and checking the combat log in the case where it isn't, so a method that allows a character with knowledge to determine creature type via close study would be welcome.

I believe that this can be used to discover (A)MPCs though I would set the DC for their discovery higher than normal monsters, NPCs, and regular PCs so those (A)MPCs that hide among people are less likely to be revealed.
Currently Playing: Coltan Viris
Shelved: Tristan Hawkins, Robin Moreau

Branchie

• The Summer Druidess
  • The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Dark Power
Re: Lore Checks to Discover Creature Type
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 11:37:39 PM »
I think it's an interesting idea, though I'll also say using it on AMPC's/MPC's removes a bit of the investigation factor.

Grendlykins, Simp of Azalin Rex

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2023, 03:20:07 AM »
I suggest expanding the examine tool to reveal a creature's type according to a lore check.

This could give a mechanical use to the lore skill beyond just identifying items that is in line with one of the functions of the knowledge skills that exist in 3.5.

As it is we can only judge a creature's type by observation in the case of the obvious and testing and checking the combat log in the case where it isn't, so a method that allows a character with knowledge to determine creature type via close study would be welcome.

I believe that this can be used to discover (A)MPCs though I would set the DC for their discovery higher than normal monsters, NPCs, and regular PCs so those (A)MPCs that hide among people are less likely to be revealed.

I think it's an interesting idea, though I'll also say using it on AMPC's/MPC's removes a bit of the investigation factor.

Make it a hidden check on a cooldown similar to how Disguise and inspect target works, with non-commital messages such as 'The target appears to be a humanoid', with an unattainable DC for discerning the true subtype for shapeshifters in their alternate guises; humanoid shape always displays as humanoid subtype, animal form always shows as beast subtype. Do this regardless of whether it's a PC or NPC, so people can't metagame it also. The physical appearance traits brought on by, say, Lycanthropy, aren't sufficient for anyone to conclusively say just by looking at them whether they're a shapeshifter.

Also probably do the same for anything polymorphed, I guess.

Skelni

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
  • You can always contact me
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023, 03:26:05 AM »
This sounds cool for NPCs and stuff!

This doesn't sound good for MPCs. Deduction of them should be player intuition, IC knowledge and interaction with the MPC. Not just a skill check to suddenly conclude information I feel. If an MPC wants to let a roll determine knowledge gained and whatnot, that should be decided by the player, not the mechanics.
Active: Vorrala Dalael

Shelved: Dirge Driftwood - Jezebel Redcherry - Silf Argyros - Ledewif Oberholtz

Closured: Razik Slepnel - Azaulia Curantus - Gavril Dragnea

jimkaf

• Always wanted to be the One, True,
  • Dark Lord
  • U RP WRONG
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2023, 03:30:03 AM »
It's an interesting idea to utilize lore more though of course there's always PCs around (mainly arcanists) that invest into lore mainly for RP reasons.
The thing with nwn lore skill is it points to the knowledge skill, but knowledge has fields of study. So, for example, a druid would probably have picked nature as field of study while a wizard would have arcana or the planes. Another could have nobility and royalty for example which would be totally unrelated to identifying a scrag.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 03:39:56 AM by jimkaf »
Active PC: Skender Vacarescu [NWN Portrait Download]

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2023, 04:01:49 AM »
It's an interesting idea to utilize lore more though of course there's always PCs around (mainly arcanists) that invest into lore mainly for RP reasons.
The thing with nwn lore skill is it points to the knowledge skill, but knowledge has fields of study. So, for example, a druid would probably have picked nature as field of study while a wizard would have arcana or the planes. Another could have nobility and royalty for example which would be totally unrelated to identifying a scrag.

... dont even get me started about obscure weapons coming from beyond the mists...

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured

ChrisRanHimselfOver

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2023, 08:20:33 AM »
This sounds cool for NPCs and stuff!

This doesn't sound good for MPCs. Deduction of them should be player intuition, IC knowledge and interaction with the MPC. Not just a skill check to suddenly conclude information I feel. If an MPC wants to let a roll determine knowledge gained and whatnot, that should be decided by the player, not the mechanics.

The idea of using it to discover MPCs admittedly wasn't one I expected people would be interested in. And as it is, it can already be very easy to discover MPCs via the examine tool. Not to the extent that a player would necessarily immediately know what type of MPC they are or at least their broader category, but they'd certainly be able to figure out who is and isn't an MPC with relative ease.

This is an unfortunate effect of having the various knowledge skills condensed down into one skill. Even so, I believe this is a better solution than making the check one related to something like spot which already has a place with the examine tool related to discovering if a character is disguised. Since lore is so generalized that it can be used by anyone to identify any item no matter where it originates, it stands to reason that it's general enough that it can be used to determine creature type as well.

And if a player decides that their character wouldn't know about monsters, they could elect simply not to use the tool.
Currently Playing: Coltan Viris
Shelved: Tristan Hawkins, Robin Moreau

Legebrin

• Outlander
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2023, 05:26:09 AM »
Well.. are there any ways to get information about creatures types IC? Such things as tentacles always makes me wonder, so I would like to see books or anything else bout it.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2023, 06:41:41 AM »
Well.. are there any ways to get information about creatures types IC? Such things as tentacles always makes me wonder, so I would like to see books or anything else bout it.

It is indeed possible for players to submit books on any subjects of their choice. One could be on aberrations.

Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.