You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Emotes  (Read 440 times)

FunkeyMonkey

• Outlander
Emotes
« on: March 13, 2023, 10:32:26 PM »
Proposed: Flip it so that when emoting * is not required, if your emoting and you wish to make a emote void of your expression you use *

Thoughts?

PrimetheGrime

• Full-time Hunter, Part-time Outlaw
  • Dark Power
Re: Emotes
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 10:38:42 PM »
I've always found putting your emotes in party chat or using @emote # to work better than having them fire off using brackets personally.

Skelni

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
  • You can always contact me
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 10:48:05 PM »
It's become sort of a circle now. Originally people wanted emote commands changed because they were tired of [Falling] (i personally wish we kept it cause i thought it was hilarious) and now it's being said that reaching for the asterisk * is annoying to emote. I'm thinking some kind of other change should be pursued.
Active: Vorrala Dalael

Shelved: Dirge Driftwood - Jezebel Redcherry - Silf Argyros - Ledewif Oberholtz

Closured: Razik Slepnel - Azaulia Curantus - Gavril Dragnea

Vantes-

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 10:53:47 PM »
Ideally there'd be some kind of toggle you could select in the rest menu, but I don't know that that's possible.

If not, leaving it as it is now so that action-emotes are done intentionally rather than accidentally.
Active: Vahn Stanek
Others: Aelas Telenseer, Fenn Yrren
Closured: Adan Elandi

Silence is Violence

• Outlander
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023, 11:50:03 PM »
I think it'd be cool to have a menu like the one used in the @customize or @description command where you get to click a button to use any of the available emotes.
Would make it more accesible and in-game rather than having to look at the list on the wiki and accidentally getting the numbers wrong.
Bonus points if you can choose emote speed through said menu.
Can I see another’s woe, and not be in sorrow too?
Can I see another’s grief, and not seek for kind relief?

EarlofEtheria

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2023, 11:55:19 PM »
The in game journal needs to be changed to include the asterisk * in keywords. See @read 10

Personally I like the change, but how I use it is closer to the @emote # system. I'll go into party chat so my text is hidden and type [*meditate] for instance, because for many actions it's more intuitive than memorizing @emote #'s. I have to keep a list in every character's journal to remember anything beyond @emote 28 and @emote 34.

Wilkins1952

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
  • For good to win evil must do nothing
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2023, 01:40:48 AM »
A command like @help Emote would be neat, Or add it to the player Journal
"Its like watching people walk up to the line for "Be excellent to each other" and seeing how far they can spit across it." -GMNO

Cyber Viking

• Undead Master
  • Discord: Cyber Viking#6572
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2023, 02:05:16 AM »
Ideally there'd be some kind of toggle you could select in the rest menu, but I don't know that that's possible.

This is a healthy progression.
I prefered the old way and love the idea of a simple toggle.
One for the old way and one for the new way.
Everyone is happy then.

Grendlykins, Simp of Azalin Rex

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2023, 04:54:22 AM »
It's become sort of a circle now. Originally people wanted emote commands changed because they were tired of [Falling] (i personally wish we kept it cause i thought it was hilarious) and now it's being said that reaching for the asterisk * is annoying to emote. I'm thinking some kind of other change should be pursued.

This was essentially my viewpoint prior to the recent change; those that tire of falling over from using keywords in an emote already had the answer at their fingertips, in the form of not using specifically square brackets for their emotes. However the choice was made to implement the change and now those that have grown used to using said square brackets over the @emote command must adapt. This was a question that already had an answer, but instead a completely different option was chosen.

jimkaf

• Always wanted to be the One, True,
  • Dark Lord
  • U RP WRONG
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2023, 04:57:17 AM »
Well, to be precise, the suggestion here that started it all was actually just a toggle that could disable them for those players who didn't like the automatic use.
Active PC: Skender Vacarescu [NWN Portrait Download]

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2023, 10:04:59 AM »
It just takes practice and some repetition to get used to the *

Once you get the hang of it, it is just like typing normally

Practice in an Inn room or in the OCC lounge for a few minutes (that is how I slowly figured out the @emote #s)

Let's not make this more complicated than simply typing one extra character.  If you wanted to make it even simpler and reduce it to just one keystroke, perhaps you could pick a character that does not require the use of the shift key.  Maybe the ` (right under the tilde).  I never use that for anything.

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

Cyber Viking

• Undead Master
  • Discord: Cyber Viking#6572
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2023, 02:39:34 PM »
I am in HARD agreement with grendal.
There was already the option at the finger tips to not use a square bracket. But now we have gone through this farce.

The best way forward is to either put it back to the way it was or have the ability to toggle between the old way and the new.

InMyDarkestHours

• The Underworld
  • Undead Master
  • I reveal my heart, to this beauty dressed in dark
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2023, 02:54:05 PM »
Most of you should go back and read the original request and then the discussion after it, since you're just expressing what was already pointed out.

HM01

• Undead Master
  • The Department of Gnomeland Security
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2023, 04:00:02 PM »

It simply shouldn't have been changed to begin with. It is all around worse, in my opinion. If it were put to a vote, I believe it would have been wildly unpopular.

Without beating the now dead horse, I agree with OP. Anything to make it resemble what it was, is a win.

cooachlyfe

• Dark Lord
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2023, 04:38:51 PM »
It's not that deep. Honestly I don't need animations to convey what I am saying or emoting and I'm a terrible writer. Accidentally emoting when not intending to is so awkward and cringe honestly. I'd be fine with a new change but id dislike going back to the old one.

Zyemeth

• Undead Master
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2023, 08:07:56 PM »
Alternatively the golden emote standard could be embraced with a /emote system that 90% of games follow. It would be more user friendly as well since many new players expect that to be the system when just arriving because of so many other games that have taken that to be the standard. "/wave" etc.