Author Topic: Some more wearable VFXs : What do YOU want?  (Read 1868 times)

Wilkins1952

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
  • For good to win evil must do nothing
Re: Some more wearable VFXs : What do YOU want?
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2023, 01:42:47 PM »
Not really VFX but similar would love for a Cane walking animation made that doesn't use a giant pole that is taller than your char.
"Its like watching people walk up to the line for "Be excellent to each other" and seeing how far they can spit across it." -GMNO

rapsam2003

• Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Undead Slayer
  • Stranger Lands...
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2023, 02:42:40 PM »
A stylish eyepatch please. Yes, there's eyepatch heads, but those heads limit customization for those of us who love eyepatch PCs. (Like me  :P )

Calad

• Champion of the Eternal Dawn
  • Undead Master
  • The Ancient. The Land.
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2023, 05:41:15 PM »

Is it possible to make eyepatches? Just the simple black eyepatch and a mirrored version so it can go over either eye. One-eyed characters are common but except 1-2 human heads there's no way to express it in-game.

I already had that on my to do list, though as PrimeTheGrime said, it could be difficult (or just... ugly) to properly set up because of all the head shapes we have, as stated just above.

To be frank, even if it only fits one third of heads or is ugly... it would be still better than nothing. It'd be so appreciated.
Long live the Count, Strahd von Zarovich XI!

Maragrouf

• The Underworld
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2023, 08:34:52 AM »
So as I've said over on Discord, there is a potential solution to all the clipping/placement issues regarding VFXs in the form of a Dialogue or Settings window that would open when using the items related to said VFX. It's been done on some other servers and if the Dev Team can figure it out, it would solve a lot of things.

Firstly, I would be able to only model once, instead of having to resize the VFX model for each race, gender and pheno (which quickly adds up to hours of work for just ONE item variation). This means it would save a bit of resources as there would be 1 mdl file instead of 24 (2 genders x 2 pheno x 6 races) per item variation.

Secondly, this would pretty much mean anyone could edit the VFX size and position as they please for their PC, without requiring DM help or for me to figure out where is the best compromise. It would be as good a fit as when I'm resizing the model to be more in line with the usual head shape of each race, but it sure would be a lot better than having only a third of the available heads able to properly wear the VFX.

For now, I'm putting every suggestion on my list and working my way through the models to see what looks good and what doesn't. So far, hats have it rougher because of the huge amount of clipping issues (especially with the ladies) which might mean that some of them won't make it through.

Death

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2023, 09:12:51 AM »
Seeing some tinted round eyeglasses would be fly and goth as hell. You'd probably want them to be round glasses more than anything else to keep in tone with the server but they'd look cool as hell for port people and mages, sorcs, rogues, etc.

Like Gary Oldman from the Dracula movie kind of cool. That movie looked cool as hell.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 09:16:20 AM by Death »

PrimetheGrime

• Full-time Hunter, Part-time Outlaw
  • The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2023, 09:13:22 AM »
So as I've said over on Discord, there is a potential solution to all the clipping/placement issues regarding VFXs in the form of a Dialogue or Settings window that would open when using the items related to said VFX. It's been done on some other servers and if the Dev Team can figure it out, it would solve a lot of things.

Firstly, I would be able to only model once, instead of having to resize the VFX model for each race, gender and pheno (which quickly adds up to hours of work for just ONE item variation). This means it would save a bit of resources as there would be 1 mdl file instead of 24 (2 genders x 2 pheno x 6 races) per item variation.

Secondly, this would pretty much mean anyone could edit the VFX size and position as they please for their PC, without requiring DM help or for me to figure out where is the best compromise. It would be as good a fit as when I'm resizing the model to be more in line with the usual head shape of each race, but it sure would be a lot better than having only a third of the available heads able to properly wear the VFX.

For now, I'm putting every suggestion on my list and working my way through the models to see what looks good and what doesn't. So far, hats have it rougher because of the huge amount of clipping issues (especially with the ladies) which might mean that some of them won't make it through.

Do you know which servers have this in place? It might be worth asking the developers to see how they did it.

Darkthrasher

• Undead Master
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2023, 01:49:45 PM »
A stylish eyepatch please. Yes, there's eyepatch heads, but those heads limit customization for those of us who love eyepatch PCs. (Like me  :P )

Seconding this!
Ignis Brimstone, Disciple of Solusek Ro
Remus Greenbough, Warden of Nature
Gareth Rex (Closured)
Devora Zianhur

Not as active:
Vogul Basinma, of the Black raven tribe
Bandus Strom, The Eel
Affirrazac

Cyber Viking

• Undead Master
  • Discord: Cyber Viking#6572
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2023, 02:25:09 PM »
Powdered Wigs for Lawyers and Port peoples Please!

rapsam2003

• Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Undead Slayer
  • Stranger Lands...
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2023, 02:37:36 PM »

Is it possible to make eyepatches? Just the simple black eyepatch and a mirrored version so it can go over either eye. One-eyed characters are common but except 1-2 human heads there's no way to express it in-game.

I already had that on my to do list, though as PrimeTheGrime said, it could be difficult (or just... ugly) to properly set up because of all the head shapes we have, as stated just above.

To be frank, even if it only fits one third of heads or is ugly... it would be still better than nothing. It'd be so appreciated.
Mhmmmm! So much so.  :D

Seconding this!
<3

Maragrouf

• The Underworld
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2023, 11:27:01 AM »
Do you know which servers have this in place? It might be worth asking the developers to see how they did it.

"Cormyr and Dalelands" has the dialogue kind, if I'm not wrong. And then there's "The Island of Thain" which has an INSANE HUD using NUI, with sliders and such, but that one really has a massive amount of customisation available.

Quote from: CyberViking
Powdered Wigs for Lawyers and Port peoples Please!
That one would either be difficult to properly set up because of the variety of head shapes and placement OR would look goofy as hell because I'd have to make them extra big to prevent clipping issues as well as being in a "middle ground" regarding the placement so it'd fit nearly every head.
I'll give it a try, but no promises.

Quote from: Death
Tinted Round eyeglasses
Will do. I can pretty much edit the already existing eyeglasses we have on the server and make them a bit more opaque and red.

Krosenq

• Developer
  • Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Master
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2023, 12:26:19 PM »
Some kind of safety goggles would be amazing.
Active: Warrick Geth - Journal and Story

Branchie

• The Summer Druidess
  • The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Dark Power
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2023, 12:29:09 PM »
Adding onto the Thorn of Crowns/Roses idea, is there a possibility of perhaps adding some Winter hats? Like a Ushanka which has been around for centuries, or a Papakha, or a Malahai? I feel they'd fit from Vorostokov and Sanguinia.

Ringnar

• The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Undead Slayer
  • Halflings are best!
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2023, 12:32:43 PM »
Adding onto the Thorn of Crowns/Roses idea, is there a possibility of perhaps adding some Winter hats? Like a Ushanka which has been around for centuries, or a Papakha, or a Malahai? I feel they'd fit from Vorostokov and Sanguinia.

Obligatory +1 so Druid crowd will finally accept me.

As someone who’s played a Vos before, it would be cool though.

Maragrouf

• The Underworld
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2023, 05:03:35 PM »
The Papakha should be doable, since it doesn't goes to the side of the head and is fairly big, which means clipping won't be an issue. The other two would be a huge clipping mess

cooachlyfe

• Dark Lord
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2023, 07:46:12 PM »
I want a pancho

Death

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2023, 02:02:53 AM »
Quote from: Death
Tinted Round eyeglasses
Will do. I can pretty much edit the already existing eyeglasses we have on the server and make them a bit more opaque and red.

Red sounds nice, but a dark grey or black would also work alongside that as well I think if that's possible.

Wilkins1952

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
  • For good to win evil must do nothing
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2023, 02:39:28 AM »
Flower crowns would also be neat. Something similar to the one head but a VFX rather than being baked in for the more woodsy folks
"Its like watching people walk up to the line for "Be excellent to each other" and seeing how far they can spit across it." -GMNO

Grime81

• New to the Mists
  • See ya. . . Cheapskate!
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2023, 08:08:05 AM »
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but, any adds to the torso models for half plate would be a boon to outfit capabilities

Maragrouf

• The Underworld
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2023, 08:20:45 AM »
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but, any adds to the torso models for half plate would be a boon to outfit capabilities
Not my department, I'm afraid. But I feel your pain. Too many armor types lack good visuals :<

Branchie

• The Summer Druidess
  • The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Dark Power
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2023, 11:41:47 PM »
Another possible idea: Fez's?

Maiyannah

• First Watcher
  • Dark Power
  • Courage is the soul of life.
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2023, 07:10:16 AM »
For the druids out there, something like the headdress the singer from Heilung wears would be really cool
Currently:
Livu Olmstead - First Watcher of Helm
Emmanuelle de le Foret - Ezrite escapee from Hazlan

Also:
Sarabeth d'Gagne - Ghastrian artist
Sabina Ennaies - Barovian road warden

-narwhal-

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2023, 09:17:27 AM »
Option to hide helm just like cloaks(model 0) would be awesome, also if tower shields could use large shield models

Maragrouf

• The Underworld
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2023, 02:14:50 PM »
Option to hide helm just like cloaks(model 0) would be awesome, also if tower shields could use large shield models

Hiding helmet is actually a scripting thing and is already doable. But as it's been said on Discord, that's something we'll never get because of the whole WYSIWYG thing on top of "immersion", as you shouldn't benefit from a helmet if you're not "wearing" any. Not to mention that some aren't customisable.
As for shields... oHo I don't do those. But anyone with the time, tools (Blender with NeverBlender plugin) and masochist tendencies is free to extract, convert and compile the Tower Shields models to be Large Shields instead.

bloodless

• The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • ?
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2023, 05:33:29 PM »
Hiding helmet is actually a scripting thing and is already doable. But as it's been said on Discord, that's something we'll never get because of the whole WYSIWYG thing on top of "immersion", as you shouldn't benefit from a helmet if you're not "wearing" any. Not to mention that some aren't customisable.
Which is a poor argument considering we already have option 0 for cloaks, and a myriad other things that go against the what you see doctrine. But this is not the thread for such things.

On matters of VFX, I think monocles were mentioned but if not, that'd be cool!

Revenant

• Noot Noot
  • Dark Lord
  • Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2023, 05:37:12 PM »
For the druids out there, something like the headdress the singer from Heilung wears would be really cool

True. Anything that lets me acquire leshen vibes.

Vicerimus Mortem.