Author Topic: Recent increase in lag survey  (Read 1958 times)

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
Recent increase in lag survey
« on: February 19, 2023, 02:54:21 AM »
Several of you have reported a notable increase in lag lately, mainly in the form of creatures seemingly skipping and jumping around. The likely cause is that we have been testing the upcoming NWN:EE .35 patch lately.

I have just (February 19th) loaded a potential fix however, but we will need your help in evaluate - so please try to observe how this fix affects thing, then place your vote and leave any further comments yiou might have below.

Thank you!

Update February 21st - a new attempt at fixing this has been loaded. Please share if you experience the issue of teleporting/jumping/skipping creatures reappearing.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 02:03:17 PM by Soren / Zarathustra217 »

Grendlykins, Simp of Azalin Rex

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
Re: Recent increase in lag survey
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2023, 05:39:46 AM »
After spending about 3 hours non stop dungeoning last night, my anecdotal experience is that what I'm witnessing mimics the symptoms of extreme lag in connection to the server, however it's extremely specific in how dysfunctional it is. All abilities, interactions etc work at expected pace, but when attacking enemies especially at long range there's a very high tendency for them to lock in place and then suddenly teleport right to you. In addition to this, I witnessed multiple times where enemies would teleport through aoe effects and suffer no damage, as well as a very infrequent bug where other player characters become untargettable, their models remain permanently highlighted and they would begin to be locked in place playing the running animation, while spontaneously relocating roughly once every 30-40 seconds. After testing for about 10~ minutes just now, I've seen the exact same behaviour in NPCs on the server as I did last night; whatever attempted fix has been implemented hasn't changed the 'lag teleport' behaviour of NPCs.

Anastian

• The Underworld
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 06:25:20 AM »
My own input: before and after the update, NPCs have a tendency to be reported on screen as if they were in the wrong place. Perhaps it's related with line of sight? Basically: you see an NPC in a position, after a few seconds it teleports in a different position. If you try and interact with said NPCs, it will move your character to the NPC actual position. It feels as if there is a de-synchronization between the NPC position server side, and what is displayed client side.

Placeables/items on the ground also seem to load slowly, as if you were still advancing towards them and couldn't see them still, and they were popping up in delay. Much like if it was lag.

Factual example: there were traders with their baskets and wares on the ground in front of the Morninglord church in the outskirts. I was walking from the gate. When I should've been able to already see everything (approached the front of the Lady's Rest) in fact items began loading slowly, the ones closer to the gates before, as if I was still far behind where my character actually was (e.g., as if I was still by the cages in front of the gates).

Perhaps the server side position of PCs is de-synched with what is displayed client side?
If I use an item though or cast a spell on myself, it generally is applied immediately, and I am not teleported back.
Almerino Delafuerte Delmar, Thuzmoc Rockfeller
Franco Calibardo (Shelved), Bartak Ardson (Shelved), Dagor Berenil (Closured)
Discord: KhubilaiKhan (Sononabestia)#8746

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2023, 09:01:11 AM »
Alright, thanks for checking it - I've loaded one more attempt at fixing it, could you guys recheck? Sorry about the troubles, should be over soon.

Grendlykins, Simp of Azalin Rex

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2023, 09:36:20 AM »
Tested again for about 10~ minutes, results look much improved. Not a single sign of hostile NPCs using the secret teleportation technique. Will keep an eye on it for now but it looks much more promising.

bloodless

• The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • ?
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2023, 11:00:44 AM »
Having played for a bit after the latest hotfix, I'm not seeing the issue either.

Wilkins1952

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
  • For good to win evil must do nothing
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2023, 11:12:42 AM »
Can confirm things seem stable as well no teleporting NPCs or NPCs ignoring curfew.
"Its like watching people walk up to the line for "Be excellent to each other" and seeing how far they can spit across it." -GMNO

Maragrouf

• The Underworld
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2023, 11:56:04 AM »
The pandemic of "Nothing personnel, kid" seems to have been contained. For now...
But yeah. Compared to yesterday where PCs and NPCs were warping around the place every other minutes, I haven't seen a single instance of that happening today after a few hours of playing.

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2023, 12:02:11 PM »
I haven't been online today since any changes but I figure it might be worth mentioning that I hadn't noticed any increase in traditional lag.  I definitely noticed the wonky NPC behavior, but my own interactions of walking around and such seemed totally fine.

Sloan

• Outlander
  • head empty, bags full
    • my carrd
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2023, 07:11:00 PM »
I am experiencing a lot less rubberbanding for my character and other players, though it does still happen quite a bit shortly after going through transitions. Unfortunately enemies who start off idle still teleport when pulled pretty often. It's annoying because they'll go right past my allies to the backline.

Maiyannah

• First Watcher
  • Dark Power
  • Courage is the soul of life.
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2023, 07:21:35 PM »
The newest update definitely helped.  It was the worst I'd ever seen the server, and some people who've played a decade+ were concurring with that.

However, it's still not all the way yet, I'd say, still some rubberbanding going on.
Currently:
Livu Olmstead - First Watcher of Helm
Emmanuelle Skyshard - Ezran escapee from Hazlan

Also:
Liliana Bolboceanu - Forest ranger

Dardonas

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2023, 02:58:29 PM »
The lag seems to have stabilized, but what I often notice as of late is instead of teleporting NPCs, NPCs often "hang" or "catch" and stand still during their pathing. It's more noticeable in Dementlieu where there are active guard patrols.

JustMonika

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2023, 03:01:00 PM »
I've noticed that Valaki guarda if on patrol if I click them (inside the city) will instantly teleport up to me to dialogue. Didn't seem to happen with any other NPCs, just patrolling Guarda.

Cody

• Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Undead Master
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2023, 04:00:54 PM »
Regarding today's update. I had an encounter with worgs where one in the group started running towards me and a mink crossed directly between us, and the worg immediately teleported to the other side of the mink closer to me and attacked me.

Then after that I still noticed the same issue, NPC movement continues to have the same problem. Whenever I encounter different groups sometimes there would be an enemy that teleports directly to me whenever its pathfinding is briefly blocked or it seems like it needs to change its course.

Abear

• Dark Lord
  • You are not a human being.
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2023, 04:05:17 PM »
The teleporting is still happening often. Upwards of a dozen times I've noticed it within the last few hours.
Current: Sásha Kostoviç
Occasionally: Blair Florescu

Darkthrasher

• Undead Master
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2023, 04:15:27 PM »
Ya it was okay after the last update, now its back to everyone and everything zooting around.
Ignis Brimstone, Disciple of Solusek Ro
Remus Greenbough, Warden of Nature
Gareth Rex (Closured)
Devora Zianhur

Not as active:
Vogul Basinma, of the Black raven tribe
Bandus Strom, The Eel
Affirrazac

Vantes-

• Undead Master
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2023, 04:15:57 PM »
Definitely noticing more sudden teleporting today than yesterday, primarily when it comes to other PCs.
Active: Vahn Stanek
Others: Aelas Telenseer, Fenn Yrren
Closured: Adan Elandi

Wilkins1952

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
  • For good to win evil must do nothing
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2023, 04:37:32 PM »
Yeah noticed a lot of this with NPCs that have pathing, Garda/Gendarmes. They jump around a lot and seem to teleport.
"Its like watching people walk up to the line for "Be excellent to each other" and seeing how far they can spit across it." -GMNO

Ryujin

• The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2023, 04:57:17 PM »
The patch before this one fixed everything for me, no more TP'ing and all that.
The last patch that was introduced today seemed to have made things much worse again. TP'ing people, mobs, all of it.
Active: Naexalim Alearaheal.
Shelved: Chen Mei, Corin Bluespire, Osirion Shivan, Dukgeth, Valathar El'lyn. Closured: Cyrun Mask

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2023, 06:12:05 PM »
I suffered some small lag/teleporting and today it happened not only with enemies, but with allies too.
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

Skelni

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
  • You can always contact me
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2023, 06:13:10 PM »
Even the action server has been affected. Mostly to do with mobs randomly teleporting - But seemingly it's with whatever route they were already walking along.
Active: Vorrala Dalael

Shelved: Dirge Driftwood - Jezebel Redcherry - Silf Argyros - Ledewif Oberholtz

Closured: Razik Slepnel - Azaulia Curantus - Gavril Dragnea

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2023, 06:15:11 PM »
I have experienced a significant delay in the visual rendering of monsters on screen, even though they have actually spawned and are present.  I was in VoB and approaching an area where I know there are worgs, and none were visually present on screen for the first few moments, but they were showing up in the combat log (and no, they were not stealthed -- this was a lag between spawning and visually rendering on screen).  The same went for a mundane but hostile weasel I walked past, oblivious because it did not render on screen until after it started attacking me.  The rubber banding effect is quite pronounced with my character's movement as well.

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

apeppertoo

• Dark Lord
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2023, 07:41:18 PM »
Can't be sure if this was not just regular lag, but yesterday I had this phenomenon where a player in PVP suddenly appeared next to me. No, it was not someone popping out of stealth. Again, this was before today's patch.
Mariah Parsons

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2023, 07:48:28 PM »
Unsure if it's just lag lag, but when I was in the swamp today, I noticed some jumping around of both player and monster, same occurred in lysaga hill
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

KovosDatch

• The Underworld
  • Dark Lord
  • Stinkcoin mint
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2023, 08:12:10 PM »
I have seen the jumping about still as well.