Author Topic: Emotes are awkward and semifunctional now  (Read 1268 times)

Cibola

• New to the Mists
Re: Emotes are awkward and semifunctional now
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2023, 05:31:03 PM »
In summary I'm just a bit miffed that if I want to rub my chin now my options are to slap an awkward looking asterisk in the middle of my emote, or type one line for [rubbing my chin] and another for /p [*rubbing my chin] or @emoting and have a delay on the animation.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2023, 05:36:05 PM »
I believe this change was inspired by the aforementioned "fall" meme-emote. IMHO all that was necessary was to change "fall" itself, to only work through @emote. I agree that slapping the * amidst the sentence feels awkward and aesthetically inferior to  not having it at all.

PrimetheGrime

• Full-time Hunter, Part-time Outlaw
  • Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2023, 05:50:48 PM »
I've never had much trouble with using @emotes. If I need something to activate while I'm typing, I'll usually have a few most used emotes of mine macro'd to my toolbar

slash

• Dark Lord
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2023, 05:57:23 PM »
In regards to slash's post.
There wasn't really a discussion on this I was just a few posts in the systems request bin an no real dedicated thread made on it and then all of a sudden there was a system change.

One could argue that many changes were not at all discussed in public. A public debate is not requirement for a change, and the dev team often holds its own debates as well in private when a good suggestion is provided. The suggestion of a toggle so that player would not fall by mistake entering an emote was a good one, and we chose to act on it.

The suggestion of making a toggle so players would not fall by mistake is a good idea. However, the extrapolation of said idea to making all emotes unusable to people unfamiliar with an unnecessary and opaque system was a poor idea. Also, one could argue that impactful changes should probably be discussed in public. As previously stated, I would much prefer a rare misfired emote to the lifeless husks this change has turned people into. I think this change should be rolled back, because in this case doing nothing would have better than what was done.
"My soul is overflowing with obeisant reverence, and Your Most Illustrious Excellency of benignity, to you I most humbly bow." -Francesco Ferdinando Alfieri.

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2023, 06:02:39 PM »
[*falls like the lifeless husk that he is]
[falls like the lifeless husk that he is]

We're talking about 1 character added to emotes. If it is valuable to players they will learn to add it very quickly. And there was plenty of pushback by those who deemed it necessary. This is a fine compromise to writing in a toggle on/off system.

[*wonders why this is so difficult]

Forgive my callous reactions to what I see as an overreaction to a solution to a problem that has plagued many of us for years. Give it a couple weeks, then evaluate the effectiveness of the change. It's new, some people aren't fully aware. They can be made aware. I've no doubt that in a month, most will hardly recognise the difference.

slash

• Dark Lord
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2023, 06:08:01 PM »

We're talking about 1 character added to emotes. If it is valuable to players they will learn to add it very quickly. And there was plenty of pushback by those who deemed it necessary. This is a fine compromise to writing in a toggle on/off system.

Forgive my callous reactions to what I see as an overreaction to a solution to a problem that has plagued many of us for years. Give it a couple weeks, then evaluate the effectiveness of the change. It's new, some people aren't fully aware. They can be made aware. I've no doubt that in a month, most will hardly recognise the difference.

Really? It plagued us? To be honest, I didn't realize it amounted to even a minor inconvenience on the worst of days. However, since this change is noted exactly twice - in this thread, and in a changelog with hundreds of dense entries, it will inevitably become problematic for people not already in the know. It makes things look dull because people don't know it exists, and will continue not knowing it exists. Not to mention, the * makes your emotes look stupid.
"My soul is overflowing with obeisant reverence, and Your Most Illustrious Excellency of benignity, to you I most humbly bow." -Francesco Ferdinando Alfieri.

Cyber Viking

• Undead Master
  • Discord: Cyber Viking#6572
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2023, 06:10:25 PM »

If it plagued you and others like you for so long why did you not take it upon yourselves to put a different bracket at the end of your description?

The main thing here is it didn't plague alot of the other players, and now the change was implemented to something that does. When it was so easily fixed by those it annoyed by just changing 1 character themselves.

And because of the change we now see PCs with less emotional range than Kristen Stewart.

Dardonas

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2023, 06:13:01 PM »
I agree with the sentiment that the change wasn't really necessary. I always felt that accidently falling in a serious scene, or casting, was a funny little easter egg that nobody would take seriously; if it happened I'd ignore it or maybe dryly chuckle and continue the scene. I personally preferred using /p [smokes] or /p [sits] and it is a bit more inconvenient to do /p [*sits*] or /p [*smokes*] due to the placement of the asterisk key.

It's not that big of a deal and it is no hill I will die on, but I personally preferred the function of it beforehand. I certainly didn't think it is a plague.

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2023, 06:18:54 PM »
Really? It plagued us? To be honest, I didn't realize it amounted to even a minor inconvenience on the worst of days. However, since this change is noted exactly twice - in this thread, and in a changelog with hundreds of dense entries, it will inevitably become problematic for people not already in the know. It makes things look dull because people don't know it exists, and will continue not knowing it exists. Not to mention, the * makes your emotes look stupid.

I have watched many many people accidentally fall over the years when they are trying to emote that their eyes fell upon something or another. It's embarassing and often leads to a lot more //ooc chatter than anything else as people either take the opportunity to make fun or they ensure that everyone knows they didn't actually fall. And the changelogs are written for a reason. Players should read them. Just as they should read the rules. Ignorance of such shouldn't be an excuse. When they find their emotes aren't working anymore, they're going to look for the answer why. EO has already stated that he's working on fixing things so that they work across all the emotes. Still it's a minor issue. I advise giving it time to settle in.

If it plagued you and others like you for so long why did you not take it upon yourselves to put a different bracket at the end of your description?

The main thing here is it didn't plague alot of the other players, and now the change was implemented to something that does. When it was so easily fixed by those it annoyed by just changing 1 character themselves.

And because of the change we now see PCs with less emotional range than Kristen Stewart.

I learned not to use the word fall. It happened occasionally, but took months for me to adjust. I think this change will likely take folks perhaps a week, maybe two.

For the record, I'm advocating for patience to see if the change really has all that big of an effect. I don't care one way or the other if it changes back or stays as is. I use other methods to ensure my emotes go through.

HM01

• Undead Master
  • The Department of Gnomeland Security
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2023, 06:19:32 PM »
A vocal minority advocated and altered things for the majority, it is as simple as that.

It is more of an inconvenience now than it was then, and I would wager the mass majority that weren't bothered by it would agree.

It's how it is now, and it has been stated it won't be reverted. We must live with the eyesore, and start memorizing the @emote commands.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 06:43:06 PM by HM01 »

Cyber Viking

• Undead Master
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2023, 06:25:21 PM »

I learned not to use the word fall. It happened occasionally, but took months for me to adjust. I think this change will likely take folks perhaps a week, maybe two.

For the record, I'm advocating for patience to see if the change really has all that big of an effect. I don't care one way or the other if it changes back or stays as is. I use other methods to ensure my emotes go through.

Thing is you never needed to unlearn falls.
Here are examples of things that wouldn't fire the script.

[Falls}
[Falls)
[Falls*
*Falls*
(Falls)
{Falls}
<Falls>
#Falls#
And the ever unfavorable
"Falls" and 'Falls'

Cibola

• New to the Mists
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2023, 06:30:49 PM »

When you don't want to put the operative word at the beginning of the emote you end up with something like [raises a brow and *rubs his chin thoughtfully], the example I gave in my post. It looks worse, that's all. It's obviously not a matter of difficulty.

Cyber Viking

• Undead Master
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2023, 06:33:50 PM »

I have watched many many people accidentally fall over the years when they are trying to emote that their eyes fell upon something or another. It's embarassing and often leads to a lot more //ooc chatter than anything else as people either take the opportunity to make fun or they ensure that everyone knows they didn't actually fall. And the changelogs are written for a reason. Players should read them. Just as they should read the rules. Ignorance of such shouldn't be an excuse. When they find their emotes aren't working anymore, they're going to look for the answer why. EO has already stated that he's working on fixing things so that they work across all the emotes. Still it's a minor issue. I advise giving it time to settle in.

This is being incredibly selfish TBH.
For the sake of those that had the issue changing one character themselves to fix their issue, they are expecting EO to just fix it for them, the other players to just deal with the change, pc's to bearly emote and for everyone else to change their typing style. All over a little minor inconvenience.

The time and effort spent on this by people who had no issue is quite frankly staggering and the attitude of its no longer my issue so not my concern is appalling.

Mailbox-2100

• Heir of the
  • Dark Lord
  • "Maudlyn" Argali Dupont, Lazula Zhuelke, and more
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2023, 06:42:22 PM »
The before time was better, period.

Wanna opt out of an accidental emote? How about *you* use astericks instead. Or do like I used to, [ blah blah who cares }.

Anyway, its lame but not half as much as some knees.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2023, 06:59:58 PM »
This is being incredibly selfish TBH.
For the sake of those that had the issue changing one character themselves to fix their issue, they are expecting EO to just fix it for them, the other players to just deal with the change, pc's to bearly emote and for everyone else to change their typing style. All over a little minor inconvenience.

The time and effort spent on this by people who had no issue is quite frankly staggering and the attitude of its no longer my issue so not my concern is appalling.

This is no way to treat a fellow player. Consider it a warning to watch your tone in these discussions.

I’ll lock this topic as it’s grown needlessly hostile and we’ve conveyed what we had to.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2023, 03:12:34 PM »
Remaining issues should now be fixed.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2023, 02:37:56 PM »
Please report any remaining issues here, sticking to bugs, not general feedback.

Madame Trousers Son

• Gendarmerie
  • Dark Power
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2023, 03:19:21 PM »
https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=66845.0

[*salutes] isn't filtering out the *, though the emote is working.
"The Machinery of Justice will not serve you here – it is slow and cold, and it is theirs."

- Richard K. Morgan, Altered Carbon

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2023, 03:19:47 PM »
https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=66845.0

[*salutes] isn't filtering out the *, though the emote is working.

Can you try the uppercase version? [*Salutes]

Edit: Can you screenshot what it looks like?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 03:22:00 PM by EO »

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2023, 03:21:28 PM »
I just tested myself and the * was edited out appropriately

Madame Trousers Son

• Gendarmerie
  • Dark Power
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2023, 03:26:41 PM »

I'm in a Gendarme uniform, if wearing plot gear has anything to do with it...
"The Machinery of Justice will not serve you here – it is slow and cold, and it is theirs."

- Richard K. Morgan, Altered Carbon

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2023, 08:09:38 PM »
Found the remaining issues and will fix them next update.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2023, 02:28:49 PM »
These problems should now be fixed.