Author Topic: Grimetrekker Missing Features?  (Read 576 times)

Cody

• Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Undead Master
Grimetrekker Missing Features?
« on: January 23, 2023, 05:43:28 PM »
I was looking around for the source on Grimetrekkers in Ravenloft, since from the details on the wiki they appeared to be a bit lacking something aside from the HIPS, and I found a few missing discrepancies in the Gazetteer Volume III and the server's version. Comparing the 3.5e gazetteer as the source:

- The Vile Adversaries damage bonus does not only include underground vermin; but plants like fungi, carrion creatures, crocodiles, and most importantly oozes. The Grimetrekker seems like she really should get the racial bonus against oozes at least added.
The server is also missing the damage progression from +1 to +3 against vile Adversaries. The server only has +1 vs Vermin.

- Darkvision is supposed to be upgraded to Blindsight at level 8 but the server does not include that.

- Some of the skills provided by the source material includes intelligence and wisdom related various Engineering and Profession bonuses. If this was translated to the server maybe it should provide bonuses to Crafter levels? Or be given bonus feats for the player to select which profession/craft they want to rank up in.

Is it possible to add these to the prestige class somehow or make them useable under certain conditions? If she isn't allowed to at least have blindsight then I feel it would be reasonable to give the class an advantage against ooze enemies' blindsight at the same level. They get to have so much Hide and Move Silent bonuses in underground areas, but all the underground enemies they are described to hunt have blindsight anyway, it seems a waste.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 08:57:33 PM by Cody »

remnar

• Dark Lord
  • kill, corpsehide, girlboss
Re: Grimetrekker Missing Features?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 06:02:23 PM »
Blindsight won't be added to any class, since it's basically unnerfed true-sight (on a server with very much nerfed true-sight).  Perhaps a spot/listen bonus while in sewers instead?  They already have a bonus to spot/listen however.
As for vs enemies, the way it works in NWN likely doesn't allow for any sort of 'advantage' vs them.

I don't know if crafting levels can be added as class features, infact I would err on the side of they cannot.  I don't think this could be carried over to POTM aside from perhaps a lore boost but I don't know about how well that fits with the PnP bonuses.  Lore IS a requirement so it could make sense.

I think the most you could ask for is vile adversaries (favored enemy) vs oozes.  I have no idea what fungi or carrion creatures would fall under and crocodiles would just fall under animals, which may be too wide of a net for a class to acquire as their first level feats.  Perhaps later on in the progression, as well as the scaling up to +3.  +1 at 1, +2 at 5, and +3 at 10.  This also gives more reason to go full 10 levels.

As a note on the favored enemy (oozes), in base NWN it cannot be selected so I am unsure if it can be selected on POTM or if the feat choice exists to add to a class.

Grimetrekker is a cool but I don't imagine very often picked class.  So it'd be pretty cool to make it more desirable.

Read my guide: https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=62555.0
and come to my clinic in Vallaki!

Frankz

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 06:41:44 PM »
Could instead of gain blindsight just gain a large bonus to spot or listen.

Cody

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 07:59:41 PM »
Could instead of gain blindsight just gain a large bonus to spot or listen.

They have their +2 bonus every 2 levels for spot and listen, which is only in Sewer areas though. I think this should encompass any Underground area too.

But still that does not feel quite enough reason for someone to go all the way to level 10 just for another +2 to their skills.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 08:09:48 PM »
- The Vile Adversaries damage bonus does not only include underground vermin; but plants like fungi, carrion creatures, crocodiles, and most importantly oozes. The Grimetrekker seems like she really should get the racial bonus against oozes at least added.
The server is also missing the damage progression from +1 to +3 against vile Adversaries. The server only has +1 vs Vermin.

The bonus actually scales up to +2 at level 5 and +3 at level 10 since it's Favored Enemy. We're already adding Favored Enemy (Ooze) with the next Beamdog patch.

- Darkvision is supposed to be upgraded to Blindsight at level 8 but the server does not include that.

This is replaced here with HIPS in underground areas, so we won't add any further bonuses.

- Some of the skills provided by the source material includes intelligence and wisdom related various Engineering and Profession bonuses. If this was translated to the server maybe it should provide bonuses to Crafter levels? Or be given bonus feats for the player to select which profession/craft they want to rank up in.

Most classes/PrCs have some crafting skills, and those aren't implemented at all here, so they won't be for grimetrekker either.

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2023, 07:52:50 PM »
Hips is definitely a nice trade off for darkvision. My grimetrekker is excited for it. Just gonna be a long trek to get there :)

Cody

• Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2023, 12:06:28 PM »

This is replaced here with HIPS in underground areas, so we won't add any further bonuses.

It is a fair replacement, and having oozes as a favored enemy will be something to look forward to in the next HAK at least. I was mainly wondering what the reasoning was for grimetrekker having a different feat at that level.

Would it be possible for the grimetrekker to possess their skill bonuses in any Underground area though? I think it would be interesting since it would give them more roleplay opportunities to showcase and use their class features as they train the class, working towards its higher levels.

While the server does have two sewer locations, I feel like they should be given either more things to do in them, that makes having a grimetrekker in Port a Lucine particularly advantageous. Not really class features, but more unique NPCs and content in the sewers that can reward them. Or give the class a slightly wider net in caves and tunnels throughout Ravenloft so they can enjoy the progression a little more.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 12:08:55 PM by Cody »