Author Topic: Alternative uses for venoms/poisons  (Read 361 times)

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
Alternative uses for venoms/poisons
« on: August 14, 2023, 10:10:12 AM »
I have noticed that the monster-dropped venoms and poisons generally just get sold, and not actually used.  I get why -- poison usage on a variety of things on this server is ineffective, and there are much more effective things you can put on your weapons.  However, rather than just have it as vendor trash, how about making them crafting ingredients for antivenin (which is what snake venom is used for IRL).  My suggestion would be to add it to alchemy (since herbalism already provides for a Potion of Antidote), perhaps 3 vials could make a comparable potion of antidote (to represent the creation of a vial of antivenin) with a comparable DC to its herbalism counterpart (so that neither craft as an advantage over the other)?  Maybe a lesser alchemy recipe using venom for Ironguts and a more difficult one for Antidote?  Or you could make it a traditional herbalism recipe, although it isn't really an herb.  I am just noodling over ideas on traditional (non divine) healing (I think I have too much free time on my hands this morning).

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
Re: Alternative uses for venoms/poisons
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2023, 10:49:23 AM »
It would be nice to have more of a use for them. I mean I used them fairly often with Erzsebet for a while, but with how low the DCs are for poisons/venoms it becomes rather useless. So having something that could be created with them like a antivenin (that is to say the IG antidote) would be pretty neat. Or maybe even add a poison varnish?
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

myrddraal

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2023, 11:06:51 AM »
Anti venom or poisons that just donít suck as much with a higher dc.  Poison is criminally under used.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 11:56:58 AM »
A "craft Poison" would be very nice, maybe as a branch of alchemy, maybe as its own craft. You could distill mercury, venons, etc and get consistently higher DCs poison with each destilation. Make the destilation be double the Poison DC (a poison DC 20, Craft DC 40) And use twice the amount of reagents to be crafted. Make it hard (brewing poisons is not trivial) but useful.

The way it is now, in the server, the only poison useful is no poison at all: Cloudkill. It is sad taht rogues, assassins and never do wells are so restricted on that.

Oh, and, if possible, make trap kits use these new poisons.
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2023, 12:11:45 PM »
I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure Poison is one of the things that is still going by Vanilla rules on the server.

https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Poison_(item)

I would use poison frequently if it weren't for the fact that poison only lasts 3 rounds and the DCs aren't great.

What would be interesting is to see feats and classes that improved poison use overall. I believe one of the 3.0 Ravenloft Manuals has something called 'Court Poisoner' a very Borcan inspired class that gets increased poison DC and is able to craft their own poison. Been awhile since I looked at it though.

Overall, I'd recommend poison function "On the next hit" rather than only lasting three rounds, more collecting poisons throughout the world with varying DCs (some lower some higher), and the opportunity to be able to focus characters around the use of poison.

Found it. It's in Gazetteer IV according to Mistipedia

EarlofEtheria

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2023, 07:27:31 PM »
Enemies that can be poisoned, tend to have high fort checks. Your giant spider venom with it's low end DC won't do squat to the Ogres next door who need a 1 to pass. Meanwhile when that Dire Spider nibbles on you it's a DC20+ or similar.

Basically we're looting medium sized venom vials, while they're using huge sized venom to attack the player.

Vermin Poison Table