Author Topic: Halt Undead ignores Freedom of Movement  (Read 343 times)

RedMoney

• Gendarmerie
  • Dark Lord
Halt Undead ignores Freedom of Movement
« on: January 20, 2023, 05:36:57 PM »
Title is self explanatory, the text of Halt Undead clearly states undead are "paralyzed", a condition which freedom of movement is supposed to specifically prevent.  I'm not sure why this occurs but if certainly does. 

(can DM screenshots if needed, just message me on discord)

inkcorvid

• Dark Power
Re: Halt Undead ignores Freedom of Movement
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 06:38:07 PM »
Undead are immune to paralysis, so I imagine Halt Undead applies a special kind of paralysis that applies to undead. Just like how undead are immune to fear, but Turn Undead applies a special kind of fear that applies to undead.

In PnP, it doesn't apply paralysis as in the condition, as Hold Person would. It instead "renders [them] immobile".

Freedom of Movement "enables you or a creature you touch to move and attack normally for the duration of the spell, even under the influence of magic that usually impedes movement" and in addition, Halt Undead is described as "similar to the effect of hold person on a living creature". So there's a doubly fair case that Freedom of Movement should block Halt Undead.
Active: Nissa Arden, Chiara Grassini
Shelved: Dindalmogra Ggol, Serinda Takmarin, Lyra Rimewood, Sofie Reiss, Aidelina Gatteux, Odette Sautereau, Livny Skovgaard, Innogen Ashe
Closed: Anjeza Bajramovic, Nim Farboffle

RedMoney

• Gendarmerie
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 06:44:32 PM »
To clarify the "paralyzes them" specifically appears in the PotM wiki

https://nwnravenloft.fandom.com/wiki/Halt_Undead

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 07:18:02 PM »
I think the argument here is that aren't all undead immune to paralysis by definition. And if so, the spell must have a different intention in mind, or it would have no purpose.

inkcorvid

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 07:20:29 PM »
It'll almost certainly be that the developers have carved out a new special status effect that is like paralysis, but applies to entities that are immune to paralysis, just like the fear vs. turned example above. But Freedom of Movement might not mechanically apply to this special super-paralysis effect, even if it maybe should as per PnP.
Active: Nissa Arden, Chiara Grassini
Shelved: Dindalmogra Ggol, Serinda Takmarin, Lyra Rimewood, Sofie Reiss, Aidelina Gatteux, Odette Sautereau, Livny Skovgaard, Innogen Ashe
Closed: Anjeza Bajramovic, Nim Farboffle

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2023, 02:00:05 PM »
I'll fix this.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2023, 10:46:09 PM »
This should now be fixed.