You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Drain Rental: Cannot exceed 40 placeables...  (Read 946 times)

She Said Destroy

• New to the Mists
Drain Rental: Cannot exceed 40 placeables...
« on: January 19, 2023, 06:48:27 PM »
Today, I was about to remodel one of the Drain rentals (Room #1) when this error showed up after trying to use the "@spawn placeable" command:

I assume this is something about the area carpentry placeables being reduced to 40 unintentionally affecting rentals.
If I remember correctly, the limit used to be a hundred placeables within the rental, or so. That's why I'm assuming this is unintended and a bug.

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
Re: Drain Rental: Cannot exceed 40 placeables...
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 06:52:48 PM »
Today, I was about to remodel one of the Drain rentals (Room #1) when this error showed up after trying to use the "@spawn placeable" command:

I assume this is something about the area carpentry placeables being reduced to 40 unintentionally affecting rentals.
If I remember correctly, the limit used to be a hundred placeables within the rental, or so. That's why I'm assuming this is unintended and a bug.

In my experience, that's the number of placeables that are allowed immediately outside of your rental. Are you perhaps in one of those weird sections of the Drain Rental that registers outside the actual space?

Try moving your character around inside the rental and trying the same spot. It's a bit of an awkward system. But there is a component of where your character is standing that affects whether or not you can place things somewhere.

Skelni

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
  • You can always contact me
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2023, 06:53:41 PM »
I can also confirm this has changed per my rental. Shop 2 in Vallaki's warehouse District. The outside used to allow 100 placeables. Now it is only 40.
Active: Vorrala Dalael

Shelved: Dirge Driftwood - Jezebel Redcherry - Silf Argyros - Ledewif Oberholtz

Closured: Razik Slepnel - Azaulia Curantus - Gavril Dragnea

She Said Destroy

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 06:54:36 PM »
In my experience, that's the number of placeables that are allowed immediately outside of your rental. Are you perhaps in one of those weird sections of the Drain Rental that registers outside the actual space?

Try moving your character around inside the rental and trying the same spot. It's a bit of an awkward system. But there is a component of where your character is standing that affects whether or not you can place things somewhere.

It's happening in the main part of the rental. The big room, rather than the back.

bunnie

• Head Empty
  • Gendarmerie
  • Dark Power
  • what is him think
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2023, 06:57:11 PM »

it should be / was 100 on the immediate outside of the rental as well, from what I remember of decorating outside of my own

edit: checked shop III in port, the cap is 100 inside, 40 outside now
could be something to do with how drain rentals aren't separately instanced like shops/warehouses + the new carpentry changes
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 07:39:19 PM by bunnie »

Spazzer

• Undead Master
  • Greater Spell Focus: Cringe
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2023, 07:14:47 PM »
Weren't zones lowered on placeable amounts? That may have unintentionally followed to Rentals.

Skelni

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2023, 07:54:11 PM »
Weren't zones lowered on placeable amounts? That may have unintentionally followed to Rentals.
Seeing as the Drain rentals are not their own instances this seems like a likely culprit.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2023, 10:19:48 PM »
Confirmed to be intended.

Changelog - January 8th, 2023 Version BETA 2.28t "New Year"

[...]
Scripting and System changes:

- Added a per-area cap of 30 carpentry placeables.
[...]
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Spazzer

• Undead Master
  • Greater Spell Focus: Cringe
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2023, 10:21:33 PM »

[...]

[...]

So Rental players will be forced to deal with this lower placeable limit? I'm pretty sure the change was made due to players building in random zones, like the Mist Camp, and so on.

Vantes-

• Undead Master
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2023, 10:29:20 PM »

[...]

[...]

Is it possible to lift this for zones that have multiple rentals in one zone?
Active: Vahn Stanek
Others: Aelas Telenseer, Fenn Yrren
Closured: Adan Elandi

Skelni

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2023, 10:32:16 PM »
We're talking about rental placeables though, not carpentry ones. And if this was the case, why are some still x/100 available not this x/30 allowed? I think there's a misunderstanding here.

bunnie

• Head Empty
  • Gendarmerie
  • Dark Power
  • what is him think
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2023, 10:32:32 PM »

[...]

[...]

i'm not sure how it's intended, when we're talking about placeable system placeables rather than carpentry placeables ??

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2023, 10:54:41 PM »
I may have mixed things up indeed.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2023, 02:08:48 PM »
It's actually not a bug; the former 100 limit was incorrect since it was meant to only apply to full area rentals. That being said, we can increase that limit but not to 100. The reasoning is that "room" rentals (those that don't occupy a full area) already have a lower placeables limit than full area rentals, so less placeables can be saved persistently.

Skelni

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2023, 02:42:27 PM »
It's actually not a bug; the former 100 limit was incorrect since it was meant to only apply to full area rentals. That being said, we can increase that limit but not to 100. The reasoning is that "room" rentals (those that don't occupy a full area) already have a lower placeables limit than full area rentals, so less placeables can be saved persistently.
Just an inquiry to it though. All of the Drain rentals have had the 100 placeable limit since when that update for the higher limit came out. No one has seemingly complained about any issue within the Drain as it stands, so would it not be allowed to simply raise the cap back up that high? We have rentals that have over the current limit and no issues seem to be arising from it.

She Said Destroy

• New to the Mists
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2023, 07:41:35 PM »

I see. Hopefully the cap can go up to 80 or 60 for room rentals.

Famous Seamus

• Dark Lord
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2023, 11:32:53 PM »

I see. Hopefully the cap can go up to 80 or 60 for room rentals.

+1

If the server is capable of handling it, I'd like to add my voice to the calls for an increase on placeables in room rentals, especially if the limit was higher previously. As the owner of a full-area rental, it took me 39 placeables to furnish our chapel alone. While that still left us plenty of placeables for the rest of our big areas, it goes to show that totals can add up really quickly. You could consider our chapel a "room-sized" area, so it would technically illustrate that someone could decorate a room-sized rental and remain under the limit; having said that, it would be nice for the folks with room-sized rentals to have a bit more wiggle room to play around with.

She Said Destroy

• New to the Mists
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2023, 02:13:51 PM »
+1

If the server is capable of handling it, I'd like to add my voice to the calls for an increase on placeables in room rentals, especially if the limit was higher previously. As the owner of a full-area rental, it took me 39 placeables to furnish our chapel alone. While that still left us plenty of placeables for the rest of our big areas, it goes to show that totals can add up really quickly. You could consider our chapel a "room-sized" area, so it would technically illustrate that someone could decorate a room-sized rental and remain under the limit; having said that, it would be nice for the folks with room-sized rentals to have a bit more wiggle room to play around with.

I should add that Drain rentals have two "room-sized areas", so you could have a fleshed out main room and a backroom that's arbitrarily empty because of mechanical limitation (ie. hitting the 40 cap) when ICly shady characters would definetely make use of a shady backroom. Increasing the cap would make it easier to make use of the whole rental.

KovosDatch

• Dark Lord
  • Stinkcoin mint
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2023, 02:23:43 PM »
I'll +1 this. Having a shop rental in Vallaki and knowing the placeable limits, 40 seems low for a Drain room with a front room AND a back room.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2023, 07:29:58 PM »
The reason the cap is lower is because you have more than one rental in the area, thus the total is higher than an individual area rental.

She Said Destroy

• New to the Mists
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2023, 11:00:54 PM »
I can see how that logic makes sense from a designer's perspective, looking at the big picture; but from an user's perspective, the placeable cap was lowered in an area that didn't have any particular adverse effects nor complaints in the past. Again - consider bumping it up, please.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2023, 12:22:55 PM »
I can see how that logic makes sense from a designer's perspective, looking at the big picture; but from an user's perspective, the placeable cap was lowered in an area that didn't have any particular adverse effects nor complaints in the past. Again - consider bumping it up, please.

I'll revise the values, but performance is more important than individual user experience since performance affects all users.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2023, 10:45:03 PM »
I've adjusted the limit to be more dynamic and factor in other elements.