You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Warlock - Fiendish Resilience - Subject to ASF via Exhaustion  (Read 325 times)

Grendlykins, Simp of Azalin Rex

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
Warlock - Fiendish Resilience - Subject to ASF via Exhaustion
« on: January 19, 2023, 03:07:07 AM »
What: Warlock's Fiendish Resilience (At least tier 1) is subject to Arcane Spell Failure, when it should not be, owing to it's Supernatural ability category and lack of stipulation that it is subject to Arcane/Divine Spell Failure.

When/Recreate: Attempt to use Warlock's Fiendish Resilience while subject to exhaustion. (For most repeatable results, suggest achieving the highest level of exhaustion prior to passing out and having ready access to at-will rest. Might take a few tries to provoke the ASF on activation.)

Ideas: Oversight on how the Fiendish Resilience is coded? Exhaustion incorrectly overriding an exemption to ASF checks? Fiendish Resilience is being subjected to all forms of ASF checks?

3.X Rules, etc for clarity below

As per https://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm;

Supernatural Abilities (Su)

Supernatural abilities are magical and go away in an antimagic field but are not subject to spell resistance, counterspells, or to being dispelled by dispel magic. Using a supernatural ability is a standard action unless noted otherwise. Supernatural abilities may have a use limit or be usable at will, just like spell-like abilities. However, supernatural abilities do not provoke attacks of opportunity and never require Concentration checks. Unless otherwise noted, a supernatural ability has an effective caster level equal to the creature’s Hit Dice.

And as per https://srd.dndtools.org/srd/classes/baseCarc/warlock.html

Fiendish Resilience (Su): Beginning at 8th level, a warlock knows the trick of fiendish resilience. Once per day, as a free action, he can enter a state that lasts for 2 minutes. While in this state, the warlock gains fast healing 1.

zDark Shadowz

• Dark Lord
Re: Warlock - Fiendish Resilience - Subject to ASF via Exhaustion
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 03:12:24 AM »
If it's cast as an action/casting, it's treated like a spell-like ability in NWN with supernatural qualities, which still fits the criteria for the spell failure from Exhaustion which isn't "arcane" failure specifically but for casting anything requiring an action.

If it's a free action like divine might/shield then it wouldn't have this issue, which your last description implies is how it needs to act.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 03:16:35 AM by zDark Shadowz »

Grendlykins, Simp of Azalin Rex

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2023, 03:36:25 AM »
If it's cast as an action/casting, it's treated like a spell-like ability in NWN with supernatural qualities, which still fits the criteria for the spell failure from Exhaustion which isn't "arcane" failure specifically but for casting anything requiring an action.

If it's a free action like divine might/shield then it wouldn't have this issue, which your last description implies is how it needs to act.

It currently does function as a 'free action', same as DM/DS, but it's also still subject to ASF checks from at least exhaustion. I'll test with some armour if I can to see if it's impacted by all ASF checks, or just exhaustion.

Edit: Unfortunately, cannot test on my current character. I'm out of rebuilds so I can't take medium armour proficiency to attempt ruling out/confirming ASF from armour as also impacting Fiendish Resilience.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 04:10:40 AM by Grendel »

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 04:54:12 PM »
I'll fix this next hak update.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2023, 08:18:40 PM »
This should now be fixed.