You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: My Caliban Runt is Small  (Read 507 times)

Teep

• New to the Mists
My Caliban Runt is Small
« on: January 11, 2023, 07:38:20 PM »
Talking to other caliban runts, they are all medium and effect by spells such as Evards tentacles. Should Caliban runts be medium?

If so, my caliban runt is currently small with no small stature feat - or bonuses

Would like some clarification

Frankz

• Undead Slayer
Re: My Caliban Runt is Small
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 08:36:27 PM »
I have had a problem with this as well.

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 11:16:10 PM »
Caliban runts are in the awkward spot that they get all the negatives of medium size, all the negatives of small size, and none of the bonuses of either.

Vallaki Justice

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023, 10:45:50 AM »
Would it be possible with our current systems to make it so that caliban runt is a "subrace" of gnome in background selection so that they get the proper small stature bonuses?

BigZug

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2023, 05:28:53 PM »
I don't mind not having small stature I just would like them to be able to use any size weapons have then be similar the dwarfs in respect only to be considered medium sized

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2023, 06:58:51 PM »
If I remember correctly, I once spotted caliban heads on dwarf templates. Being misfits, if doable, they could use either of the three templates: gnome, dwarf, half-orc

inkcorvid

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2023, 12:33:56 AM »
This may be because the size "mechanic" is be spread out through many different elements of the NWN engine, and this is the odd corner case of a (sub-)subrace (?) being a different size to the base race.

Size modifiers are apparently determined by the creature appearance (appearance.2da) and the Small Stature feat doesn't, mechanically, do anything. It's just an indicator that the size modifiers will apply to halflings and gnomes, not because of the feat but because of their appearance. It's unclear whether caliban runts are supposed to be medium or small, but if they have the halfling or gnome appearance, they should be small. It's complicated because size modifiers are often invisible on the character sheet.

Relative weapon size might be something else, but it seems caliban runts are mechanically treated as medium for the purposes of determining what counts as a light or two-handed weapon (which means eg. that halflings cannot finesse a rapier, since it's two-handed for them), and whether they can wield large weapons at all (caliban runts apparently can).

Caliban runts also seem to be mechanically treated as medium for the purposes of Evard's Black Tentacles.

But caliban runts seem to be mechanically treated as small for the purposes of monk fist damage progression, which isn't in line with their being treated as medium above.

Not sure whether caliban runts are treated as medium or small for the purposes of knockdown attempts either.
Active: Nissa Arden, Chiara Grassini
Shelved: Dindalmogra Ggol, Serinda Takmarin, Lyra Rimewood, Sofie Reiss, Aidelina Gatteux, Odette Sautereau, Livny Skovgaard, Innogen Ashe
Closed: Anjeza Bajramovic, Nim Farboffle