Author Topic: Le Phare  (Read 1863 times)

Freydaelyn

• Mistress of Faces
  • Theatre de la Cathedrale
  • Dark Power
Le Phare
« on: December 25, 2022, 03:46:30 AM »
Quote from: La Phare
Le Phare: Issue 1

Publication date: 25/12/777

A new Publication

Spoiler: show
Quote from: A new Publication
Good day dear reader.
    The number of publications active within the republique has dwindled to a trickle. Besides L’Observateur many new periodicals are either unknown or nonexistent. So that is why I have put together this gazette to be distributed within the city and report the important stories in the spirit of “La Balise”. Our goal is to not spread misinformation or libel but rather the facts as they are discovered in a manageable way so that those of all walks of life within the republique can be informed. Editorials will be kept to a minimum as our focus is not to provide opinion pieces rather keep the public informed of current events, upcoming attractions and social gatherings, interviews with prominent public figures, and a splash of investigative journalism that focus on reporting the facts. May this publication be a lighthouse in the night for those seeking information.

Editor and Owner

A return from Rokushima Taiyoo
Quote from: A return from Rokushima Taiyoo
Earlier this week the Belegarde Trade Consortium Le Délice returned from its voyage to Rokushima Taiyoo, and much like the trip of the now Dowager Baroness d’Eufroide to Sri Raji, a large quantity of foodstuffs as well as other exotic goods. Though successful in their mercantile endeavors the ship and her crew were truly not without losses. From reports multiple men lost their lives upon that voyage. Le Délice’s captain, Esther-Chétienne Abbadie, made claims at the recent society of the Erudite book fair that the wardens that were upon the voyage had not acted with the most sound decision making. These claims were later confirmed by monsieur Yasutsugi Katayama upon being asked of its Validity. Poor choices of the wardens in question aside this voyage is likely to be beneficial to all within the republique.

The commotion at the Western gate; What is known
Quote from: The commotion at the Western gate; What is known
We at Le Phare will not get into the current matter of the challenge presented to Sieur Roland Steele, a duel between private members of the community is theirs to handle no matter how public they make it. The event that lead to the dispute on the other hand is of interest to us, by the claims of Mademoiselle Éléonore Ambroiseux, a Terribleand dastardly hulk struck from the shadows to try and take Madame la Baronessa de Falsonno, Consul for the Borcan Delegation, Roxana Barozzi’s life. No sides in this dispute debate this fact publicly. Aided by commoners the assailant was driven away by Monsieur Katayama and the Baronessa. Where the stories vary is the assistance given by Sieur Roland in this. Neither side disputes that Sieur Roland made a verbal insult to the Baronessa as well. While this sort of dispute between sides would not normally be newsworthy, what makes it so is that Sieur Roland is one of the heads of the “Company of the Bridge '' who is to aid with the Silent Field’s expedition. According to the Baronessa the company holds a form of indenture to aid with such, this was corroborated by a member of the company, Mademoiselle Mariah Parsons. We were unable to find Sieur Roland for comment though will continue to do so in hopes to further clarify the situation. First we wish that the commoners who aided are safe and thank them for their bravery. Secondly it is our hope that this dispute is put aside for the bigger picture of working to put the belly of the republique ahead of squabbles.

Looking for Contributors
Quote from: Looking for Contributors
Le Phare is looking for contributors, Journalists, Illustrators and interviewers to aid in future publications. All interested in aiding with our vision must have a heart for spreading truth over opinion. Please seek to speak with our editor, Mademoiselle Goulet, if you are interested in an interview. Even if you wish to not be a constant contributor you may send in articles for review to our editor Mademoiselle Goulet within the Savant.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 06:36:53 AM by Freydaelyn »
Celestial noise detected;Delirium unsuspected
Static tuned in to reason
Time in the aether deepens;Transmissions blink uncompleted

Freydaelyn

• Mistress of Faces
  • Dark Power
Re: Le Phare
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 05:21:59 PM »
Le Phare: Issue 2

Publication date: 4/1/778

An interview with Consul Roxana Barozzi
Quote from: An interview with Consul Roxana Barozzi
Recently one of Le Phare’s reporters had a chance to speak with Consul Roxana Barozzi, Baroneasa di Falsonno regarding the cooperation between our two lands and what her efforts in Falsonno mean for those here in the Republique. This interview was conducted before the retraction of Monsieur Katayama’s withdrawal of his challenge to Sieur Roland. It has not been removed for accuracy of the events of the interview.

Le Phare: Thank you Madame Baronesa for having me today for this interview. I am sure the readers of Le Phare will love to hear about the ongoing development in Falsonno and how it effects the Dementluise.

Consoul Brozzi: Of course, happy to sit down and meet with you, mademoiselle.

Le Phare: You were recently landed Falsonno, there is talk on the terraces that you have already made some potentially profitable discoveries on the land. Would you care to talk of them?

Consoul Barozzi: Of course, Falsonno, along with the other holdings in western Borca, aims to be the new breadbasket of the core.. Naturally, we still have a lot of work to do.

Le Phare: If I am not mistaken, you have mentioned other plantlife of use upon the land?

Consoul Barozzi: Indeed, while we are clear-cutting and preparing the fertile land there for the cultivation of wheat, the initial surveys have uncovered the presence of silphium, foxglove, and belladonna growing wild on my estate. In too large amounts, these plants are all toxic. However, they all possess cosmetic and medicinal uses.

Le Phare: Is it safe to assume that the final destination for many of these medical herbs will find their way to aid those upon the silent fields?

Consoul Barozzi: They would actually find greater use here, I think. Foxglove, otherwise known as “digitalis”, is known for being able to help in treating and assisting with ailments of the heart. Thus, licensed physicians and the University of Dementlieur’s own Department of Medicine can find great use for it, with those in their care.

Le Phare: And those with cosmetic uses will also be finding their way to our markets as well?

Consoul Barozzi: I intend to see tincture of belladonna sold in both Dementlieuse markets and at home, diluted so as to avoid the peril that surrounds its use. Nothing quite brings out the eyes quite like it can, and women here in Dementlieu may find it a useful tool in their purse along with rouge and eyeshadow.

Le Phare: Your efforts in the city have been quite active ones. Can you talk to us about the work you are doing within the city to strengthen relations between our two lands?

Consoul Barozzi: I am promoting elements of Borca’s culture as part of an outreach program, of sorts, but I think what will strengthen the ties between our two countries, more than anything, will be the resolution of the Silent Fields question. For my own part, I have been working for months to ensure that this question is answered as peacefully as possible, with as little bloodshed as can be managed.

Le Phare: To bring up a potential sore spot, there are some in the city who are quite vocally aggressive in their belief that your behavior is not as someone of your position should be. Would you like to respond to that on the record?

Consoul Barozzi: The Vicontessa favors me because I produce results, and the product of all my hard work will be coming quite soon. I can admittedly be brusque at times, but I think it is important not to lose sight that we are all on the same team. Falkovnia favors dissension within the ranks, whether it be inside a country, or between them. Disunity gives them something they can happily capitalize on. We should be careful that past isn’t prologue. They desperately want relations to become strained, in order to ensure that Dementlieu remains dependent upon them to see everyone fed. They wish for our efforts here to fail and they will, if we are at each other’s throats.

Le Phare: I do not like bringing it up but given the recent visible situation with Sieur Roland, would you on the record publicly confirm your willingness to put any ill feelings behind you to see just what you said done, putting these differences aside for something greater?

Consoul Barozzi: Of course. Not to say that I do not find it charming to see an upstanding man like Samurai Yasutsugi Katayama stand up for me and defend my honor, it is the stuff that romance novels are written around. That being said, I think we all tire of the distractions that we ought to stay focused. If Sieur Roland is willing to retract what was said of me, I will consider the matter buried and we can all get back to the matter at hand.

Le Phare: The Falkovnians wish to spill enough of our blood, we should not aid them in this. I know you are a busy woman Madame Baronesa so I will ask one final question. If there was one thing you could say to the readers of Le Phare, either advise or just something else, what would you say? Le Phare is distributed about the entire city, not just the publique and the Savant.

Consoul Barozzi: Not to circle back to a previous point, but I think if my behavior is found by others to be questionable by a vocal few among the Dementlieuse, they out to have a look at the chosen representative of their next-door neighbor, beyond that, I would be happy to address the Quartier Marchand and the Quartier Ouvrier.

Le Phare: Please do.

Consoul Barozzi: It is no secret that there was a gathering of hard-working laborers before the Vicontessa’s own manse, our embassy outside of the country, a few months prior. Men and women with very real concerns. They fret that this will be a rich man’s war, and a poor man’s fight, and that they will be the ones made to shoulder the burden. I can tell them that I am taking every possible step to prevent needless death and injury among not just my own people, but the people of Dementlieu as well. Furthermore. I am doing all I can to ensure that when the dust clears and the brigandry in the Silent Fields has been brought to and end, that the caravans will start moving grain from my own homeland to Dementlieu as soon as can be made possible. No longer will great famine accompany Drakov’s belligerence, and the start of a new chapter the western Core’s history will begin. A brighter one.

Le Phare: I know how busy everyone can be, so thank you so much for your time today Madame Baronesa.

Consoul Barozzi: You are most welcome.

Missing Person: Dove
Quote from: Missing Person: Dove
It has been almost a month since performer and an assistant manager of the Theatre de la Cathedrale, Dove, has been seen in public. The Mademoiselle is a Young woman with silky smooth black hair that reaches past her shoulders, unblemished skin, amber eyes, and is often wearing well tailored outfits with leather gloves. Those with any information upon the mademoiselle’s wearabouts are encouraged to inform the Gendarme.

If the mademoiselle happens to read this, come home. Your friends miss you and are worried for your well being.

De Sauvre Raffle a Large Success

Quote from: De Sauvre Raffle a Large Success
At the recent New year’s Ball hosted by house Ambroiseux, the Du Sauvre foundation held a raffle with the proceeds going to the foundation. The raffle was successful in raising over 80,000 solars on the evening. Our reporters had a chance to speak with Sieur Dorian Du Sauvre at the event to ask a few questions regarding where the raised money would go. According to Sieur Dorian the money was raised that evening to see to predicted further hikes in food costs with the continued stress placed upon the Republique. The noblesse oblige shown by Sieur Dorian is likely to provide some relief to those who are struggling with the ongoing Grain shortage.

Looking for Contributors
Le Phare is looking for contributors, Journalists, Illustrators and interviewers to aid in future publications. All interested in aiding with our vision must have a heart for spreading truth over opinion. Please seek to speak with our editor, Mademoiselle Goulet, if you are interested in an interview. Even if you wish to not be a constant contributor you may send in articles for review to our editor Mademoiselle Goulet within the Savant.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 09:35:08 PM by Freydaelyn »

Freydaelyn

• Mistress of Faces
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023, 09:34:39 PM »
Le Phare: Special Edition

Publication date: 4/1/778

Heinous Attack in the Ouriver
Quote from: Heinous Attack in the Ouriver
It is with a heavy heart that we at Le Phare must release a special edition. Given the recent events within the Ouriver it was important to us that the people were informed as soon as possible of the events within the old Colibri Theatre this evening. We at Le Phare do not support entering abandoned buildings but the actions of Sieur Roland Steele and his accomplices were entirely uncalled for. Those who have given testimony on the events will be left anonymous for their safety. All information that is held within the following article has been reported to the Gendarme.

This evening our editor Mlle. Goulet had the unfortunate privilege of seeing the fallout of an attack lead on what was advertised as a show within the Collibri. Those who had attended the event claimed that after the first act had finished Sieur Roland as well as others entered with him. One was identified as an elven woman that our investigators have learned is named Heir who had arrived with another elven woman known as Melian. Both of these women have been described as Wayfarers, and both wear matching amulets. Sieur Roland demanded that all within the theatre surrender before not giving those within enough time to do so before attacking those within.

The elven woman known as Heir used stage magic to appear as a bear and cause further trauma to those within before further arcane spells were used turning many within to stone. Another spell that was described as being used was identified as something known as “Power Word: Kill” and was recognized by name with a frown by Sieur Dorian de Sauvre, Sergeant of the Gendarme Nationale. The effects of this was described in detail by one witness, causing pain, damage internally and then bleeding, a truly horrifying thing for anyone to experience.

While one witness was able to escape and get help allowing others to come and try and help those who were so brutally attacked, they were not able to stop the events that unfolded they were able to at least identify Sieur Roland at the scene of the event. The total number able to clearly identify Sieur Roland as being involved is four as of the writing of this article with likely more to come forward in the coming days as the gendarme receives more reports. There are conflicting reports that there were no lives lost but also reports of bodies found on the floor.

Sieur Roland is very publicly associated with the Company of the Bridge as well as recently being in a very visual and public dispute with Consul Barozzi. The advertisements for recruitment for the company openly call for those to come serve the Serene Republic and to serve with honor, additionally all candidates must remain in good standing with the laws of Dementlieu. The fallout of these actions are yet to be seen, but we encourage anyone with further information to report it to the Gendarme and to keep them and their loved ones safe in these trying times for the most vulnerable members of the Republique.

Freydaelyn

• Mistress of Faces
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2023, 04:06:28 PM »
Le Phare: Silent Fields Editorial

Publication date: 18/1/778

On the Silent Fields

Quote from: On The Silent Fields
The Silent Fields is very much on the minds of all of Dementlieu, with this in mind the standard issue of Le Phare is going to be put on a temporary hold. Le Phare has no one there to report on the active happenings but will be looking to obtain testimonials once individuals begin to return. What we can comment on is here at home. We have seen many go off to battle and return. Many are quick to see only the heroism of those who defend the republique but do not lose sight of all that they have given up to do this. How many lose their lives, how many horrors they might have seen that will reside with them long after the fighting has finished, how many lose limbs. Many will often claim that these battles are decided by the affluent and fought by the poor but I point to the many noble representatives that take the field and march with our Borcan allies. This isn’t even mentioning the various individuals not from Dementlieu or Borca that come to the aid of the republique. When this conflict comes to an end, remember that these are still people who have gone through harrowing events for the betterment of the republique. Oftentimes people devolve into us vs them arguments and mentalities. Do not let this cloud your compassion for those who need it and have given part of themselves so that you can eat and not be at the entire behest of the hawk and his sadistic whims.

Editor and Owner

Freydaelyn

• Mistress of Faces
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 05:50:21 PM »
Le Phare: A Poem from the Silent Fields

Publication date: 2/2/778

A poem from the Silent Fields

Quote from: A Poem from the Silent Fields
Direct news from the front has not fully reached us from here at Le Phare but we have received a poem from the front by a Monsieur Arsene de l'Hopital that we wish to share it's artistic recounting of the taking of a landmark known as Baudouin's Hill.

Editor and Owner

"Atop the Serpents' Rise"

Otherwise Known as "The Siege of Baudouin's Hill"

Becloaked in shrouds of darkness, fiendish serpents made their den,
and beckoned all who neared the woods to find their nest within.
A hundred men did answer; through the forest marched and crept,
to track these caddish vipers, slay these cowards while they slept.

But come first light the serpents struck and swiftly made their move,
impart upon these hundred men the first of many wounds.
Yet such a blow could not deter these men who came to fight.
For lo, they carried in their hearts their freedom's brilliant light.

But all the same an agent came and waggled her forked tongue,
and smugly claimed a battle when the song had yet been sung.
A passage safe and free of harm if foe should quit the field,
but all the threats and guarantees would NOT force them to yield.

And so in rage the serpents came and staged a great attack,
and loosed fierce hounds which charged the front as venom struck the back.
Yet slew such beasts these men had done, and weathered venom sting.
The vipers fled in terror, driven out by freedom's ring.

For like a bell it clamoured loud for all the woods to hear,
an omen telling serpents' doom, of justice drawing near.
For rage did burn upon each face and bright behind their eyes.
Their Capitain had ordered them, "Attack the Serpents' Rise!"

A hundred men did surge ahead, pushed on by faith and will.
Against a thousand arrowheads, they marched upon the hill.
No trap nor trick could hold them back as lakes of blood were shed.
The rise was charged with pure intent to see their foe made dead.

As blades did cross and spells exchanged the end was plain to see.
While powder burned atop the hill, the men could not be beat.
And so at last the serpents' spirit met its match and broke,
and those who didn't break and flee were felled by mighty strokes.

When smoke had cleared from Serpents' Rise the men surveyed the mound,
and found in sorrow many bodies strewn across the ground.
They paused and sought to find their dead and cart them to the north.
But honour, duty, love for home bid them to soldier forth.

Upon that mound they made their camp where serpent once was killed,
and in the wake of victory did dub it "Baudouin's Hill".
And though the road which leads to home is filled with danger great,
no bandit, traitor, sash, nor hawk could keep them from their fate.

By fate's decree they sallied forth to meet their foe once more,
in spite of all they sacrificed and all the pain they bore.
For Ezra's name, Republique's sake they fought until last breath,
and none could stop the hundred men, not even hands of death.

Anyone with information on the missing Dame Geneviève Chaboteaux please report said information to the Gendarme.

Freydaelyn

• Mistress of Faces
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 03:21:13 AM »
Le Phare: Issue 3

Publication date: 7/2/778

A letter from the Editor: Our Lost

Quote from: A letter from the Editor: Our Lost
We at Le Phare are committed to bringing you the news of Port-a-Lucine at as swift and as accurate a pace as possible. We know that while the silent fields are on everyone’s mind and lips of all walks of the city still. Le Phare’s writing staff also is very aware that the people of this city deserve to know what has happened. It was a tough decision but one that I personally made as editor in chief of Le Phare to wait to begin getting first hand accounts of the events. Those who fought are people and deserve a chance to find normalcy in the city again for their bravery. I have spoken with the Gendarme and a representative at the Borcan Consulate to receive a list of those who lost their lives. The beginning of this edition of Le Phare is dedicated to all the men and women who could not return, who paid the ultimate sacrifice to see our people fed.

Editor in chief  and Owner

[There are a few pages of the lost Retainers, Gendarme, Borcan Condottieri who lost their lives. The top of the list are Roxana Barozzi, Baroneasa di Falsonno. Solomon Valcourt. Baron de Miseaux. Lieutenant Pichot of the Chateaufaux Gendarme.]

Vesnia Endymion's Intrepid Exploits: Primary Sources from Darkon's “Age of Secrets”
Quote from: Vesnia Endymion's Intrepid Exploits
Primary Sources from Darkon's “Age of Secrets”
By Vesnia Endymion

Prior to the creation of the Kingdom of Darkon by His Majesty's predecessor, Darcalus Rex in the year 383 B.C, Darkon was a vast land untamed and largely unpopulated. Indeed, Darkon's population growth largely occurred within this century alone, growing to be over ten times what it was in census records dating back to just before the Crimson Death ravaged the populace in the years of 688 and 689, Barovian Calendar[1]. As such, it is hard to imagine a massive, sprawling landscape bereft of people as being in Darkon's distant past, and yet that is exactly what the historical records, such as they are, appear to demonstrate.

What few settlements existed lurked in the shadows of great towers and fortresses constructed by the mighty wizard-tyrants of Darkon's bygone age. While the fortresses and towers are largely but ruins now, the settlements survived and grew into the many towns and cities of modern Darkon. One such settlement along the Jagged Coast, which would overtime develop and grow to what we know today as Martira Bay, was ruled over by an enigmatic wizard-tyrant known to us as “the Nightmage”. Much like his contemporaries, his true name was purposefully hidden and would ultimately be lost to posterity.

However, through the writings of the acclaimed Darkonian historian of antiquity, Metellus (b. 330- d. 383 BC), the historians are today are provided insight into that beclouded and poorly-understood time in Darkon's distant past. Of course, as any serious scholar in the field will tell you, Metellus' own accounts are prone to embellishment and elements of the purely fantastical[2]; thus, the primary sources must be taken with a grain of salt. As is the case with most ancient historians, be they covering the histories of Barovia prior to the invasion by the Neureni Hordes or the Lucinian Empire's past splendour, one must handle the sources with some healthy skepticism.

That caveat aside, Metellus was extremely well-placed, having befriended one of the Nightmage's more promising apprentices and ingratiated himself with the wizard-tyrant through flattery and the promise of artifacts the Nightmage sought. Here, Metellus writes on how the Nightmage earned his curious sobriquet:

“The Nyghtmage hath been so named... because of hys unquestyonable commaynd over the dreames of others. He study'd dreames... oneiromancie... and he work'd to create terrible nyghtmare in the sleepe of those who oppos'd him...”

Metellus goes on to write about how the Nightmage would work to find out the fears of his adversaries and exploit them in the crafting of nightmare, or even use illusions to create “waking nightmares” for his enemies:

“Methodycal and maelvolent was the Nyghtmage, using glamours aynd phantasym to cruel'st effect on those who oppos'd hym... […] to the poynt where his foes could not tell if they were awayke or asleepe...”

Per Metellus' accounts, the Nightmage largely ignored the settlement nearest his citadel, Martitius, even if he claimed it as his demesne. His focus was largely on his own research, and on thwarting the schemes of the rival mages elsewhere in ancient Darkon. However, there is one incident in 356 where the common-folk of Marititius, in seeking a redress of grievances, came to the gates of the Nightmage's fortress. Metellus recounts the incident thusly:

“The Nyghtmage saw the smallfolke from atop the fortress rampartes, and wyth a few words and a wave of his hand, sent forthe a terryble sighte before their appoynted leader; his expression was frozene in terror, his eyes wyde, his mouth agape. He expir'd, and the smallfolk who were led by hym ran back to Martitius propyr, in horrore.”

Though the Nightmage opposed all others who might one day eclipse or threaten his power, his chief rival remained one arcanist named“Wormschild”, believed to have once ruled over what was once Nartok. Metellus writes:

“At the Wormschyld's call, the dead rose.. and he woulde send that host 'gainst the Nyghtmage. Yet he and his apprentyces would hold fast and protect what was his by ryghte...”

Of course, the Nightmage's resilience in the face of adversaries would not hold out forever. He would meet his match in Darcalus Rex, first true sovereign and king of all Darkon. Metellus offers us his final account:

“Spells greate and terryble have been unleashed 'gainst the Nyghtmage. It is no longer safe for me. I must go, else I shall naught survive the onslaughte...”

Metellus' death would come a few months after the Nightmage's defeat and his holdings brought into the fold of Darcalus Rex's own conquests. In a show of force, Darcalus Rex saw the Nightmage's once-formidable fortress, thought to be impregnable, reduced to rubble and ruin. Though they attempted to scatter far and wide, the Nightmage's apprentices were tracked down and killed to a man.

In the immediate aftermath, however, something closer resembling sound governance and rulership could be found in the village the Nightmage once considered his. Generations of misrule, senseless cruelty, and neglect had seen the village's growth stunted, and yet under the rule of Darcalus Rex, a slow and steady trickle of new families came to settle in what would become Martira Bay[3]. Under our present king's just rule, Martira Bay's population would explode and it would transform into a thriving harbor, a center of trade and commerce.[4]

Not much of the Nightmage's presence survives; what wasn't undone by Darcalus Rex upon conquering the Nightmage's lands has been undone by the cruel and unstoppable assassin called 'Time'. However, rumors persist of the product of his many decades of research and hoarding knowledge occasionally being found. Most of these rumors have no basis in reality, and are often the product of charlatans: a staff thought to have once belonged to the Nightmage was, in fact, a forgery[5], and a tale of the Nightmage having found a means by which to draw upon the power of the Nightmare Lands, apocryphal. However, a credible rumor of a magical scroll capable of some great and terrible ritual persists, and has been verified by other scholars, even if its location remains presently unknown. In time, perhaps a future lead to chase...[/size][/i]

- Vesnia Endymion of Neblus, Intrepid Explorer and Archaeologist
 1. Census Records, 688-689, Royal Archives.
 2. Emilio Montressori, Examining the Past, pp. 55-57.
 3. Xenophon Rainflower, Trends in Population Growth, pp. 89-92.
 4. Ibid.
 5. Famous Fakes, Mattias Nemo, pp. 67-69.

Venue Overview: Fantaisies Luciniennes
Quote from: Venue Overview: Fantaisies Luciniennes
Recently a cabaret opened within the Merchand called Fantaisies Luciniennes. This venue is well guarded so even when night falls you can be sure that you are well protected from the gangs that are known to roam the streets at night within the quarter. Inside the prices of drinks range from an affordable four solars to a more expensive one hundred and twenty two solars so a variety of budgets are catered to. This shows in the usual clients as you can find members of all parts of the city’s life there. From the hard working men and women of the workhouses to even merchants and nobles, all can be found on a given night. There is quite a good deal of setting in the main room of the venue with six tables with a variety of seating options outside the main viewing gallery of the stage, and eight more intimate tables within the main viewing gallery. If you would prefer a more quiet conversation there are also two tables upstairs along with rooms to rent. The price for these is a generally affordable fifty solars. Fantaisies Luciniennes is also one of the few venues with a full piano within the premises. An expensive investment that we are sure only adds to the entertainment at the venue. We at Le Phare expect it to become quite a popular venue in the coming months and years as it is an impressive establishment with the tools to reach a large swath of our city’s community and tourists.

Yeux Frais By Victorina Aiantes
[The views expressed by Mademoiselle Aiantes are her own and are not representative of Le Phare as a whole.]
Quote from: Yeux Frais by Victorina Aiantes
You may be asking me, dear reader, why I would write a column about what life is like in the City of Lights.  You live here, why would you need some recent arrival to tell you what your city is like?  And that is precisely why.  You live here, and so you lack the perspective of someone just getting acquainted with the majesty of Port-à-Lucine.  When we live in a place, certain things fade to the back, sights and smells become taken for granted, and the light dims.  This my dear reader is why my writing is relevant.
   For reference, I am Darkon born, and raised in the Vale of Tears.  As such, my breath was taken upon arrival in this fair city, I had never yet beheld a metropolis, having grown up in a village.  I think dear reader that the scope of the place in which you live may be easily lost on even those who have been living here a short time.  The size, the vastness, the lights, the culture, the food, the society.  The sheer number of floors of the Governor's Hotel alone is dizzying.  I have lost many an hour, even day reading in the Grande Bibliothéque, pouring over the many tomes and stories.   The next is a marvel just for existing, the Banque de Port-à-Lucine.  Not the stone work, or the decor, but the function of the place.  I am aware of the concept, do not judge me so harsh, but I have never borne witness in person.  It is a sign of a developed and civilized people.   On that subject, the first place I dined on my arrival was the Golden Fig.  The marble floors, the chandeliers, furnishings and a grand piano.  All these are mundane compared to the master pieces being served.  I tried the boeuf bourguignon.  Trust me dear reader when I say I will never forget the experience.  The tenderness of the beef, the seasoning, and cooked to perfection.  I will say, after all this praise, that I dislike my lodging.  A stuffy place decorated with ursa carcass, and bland decor all around.  The former leaving a musty odor that I quite detest.
   So yes, my dear reader, this series will be something worth your read. Fresh eyes are a valuable commodity, and many of you lack perspective on the jewel on which you currently sit.  This will be a many part endeavor, and I know you now look forward to the next.
[/size]

The Lodge of Veiled Truths; An Interview
Quote from: The Lodge of Veiled Truths; An Interview
Recently Le Phare had a chance to speak with the proprietor of the newly opened Lodge of Veiled Truths, located in the upper most floor of Novak’s rentals. This library of the Esoteric sports all the flare one would expect from a location of its name. With many posters and oddities that an occult collector would find interesting or within their collection, it only adds to the mysterious and oddly cozy environment of the lodge.

Le Phare: Thank you for letting me speak with you Mademoiselle Caith, can you introduce yourself for the readers of Le Phare and talk a little about the lodge?

Mayuit Caith: Gladly. I am Mayuit of the Caiths. The Cathyr Caiths, most specifically. Proprietor and hostess at this, my Lodge of Veiled Truths.

Le Phare: What made you wish to open this Library of sorts?

Caith: In a word? Passion. Passion, not only for the illusions and enchantments which are, among the more worldly skills I was taught in my former days as a courtier in the courts of Cathyr, but for all learning as a whole.

Le Phare: How did you manage to come across such a vast collection?

Caith: One day at a time. A book traded here, a gift there. They add up and were very near to filling the whole of my old room.

Le Phare: You spoke of your passions to hold this, are these passions what drove you to share it with others?

Caith: Partly. Partly a recognition of my good fortune as well.

Le Phare: In what ways?

Caith: In that I have been blessed to meet and swap ideas with graduates and representatives of a few of the Core’s great institutions of arcane learning in my time here. Something which most will never have the fortune to do.

Le Phare: What drove you to choose the decor? Is it just to help convey the esoteric flair of much of the collection or are there deeper meanings?

Caith: It’s something of a mix, really. While some of it, the illusory fog, The colored Braziers. Those are a chance to flaunt some of my simpler tricks. Just an amusement. But the rest? What you consider esoteric I see as a small piece of my homeland brought to the great city of lights. Where Dambrath meets Dementlieu.

Le Phare: Can you talk about what is within the collection?

Caith: It’s quite the eclectic mix! The majority of it is built off the backs of my previous projects. There’s treatise and notes on novice illusions and tricks of the mind. From the creation of a basic show of light, to casting sound from a distance and even means to induce hypnotic slumber. It builds from there. On applications, both practical and strictly theoretical. There’s guides to taking steps beyond the most beginner's steps. Means to pierce the veil of visibility, sharpen one's eyes against other’s illusions or even seem to disappear from sight altogether. But it’s only grown from there. I’ve now sketches and accounts of the pride of my homeland, the warships and schooners of Dambrath. And at the request of my patrons I’ve expanded to include writings on the weaving of magical songs. Folklore on how Perfidious curses seem to chase certain unlucky individuals and how various peoples claim to combat them. It shall only grow from here!

Le Phare: Who would you encourage to come pay patronage here?

Caith: All are welcome, not just practitioners of the arcane sciences. If you wish to broaden your mind? We would happily receive you. If you wish only a quiet desk to study? The door is open and the parchment and ink provided without charge. So long as you check your violence and hats at the door, of course!

Le Phare: Is there anything else you would like to add for the readers of Le Phare before I go?

Caith: Only that I appreciate them enduring my unprepared thoughts and that I assure them I play the part of hostess better than interviewee!

Le Phare: Thank you so much for your time Miss Caith.

Caith: It was my pleasure, Miss Goulet.

Looking for Contributors

Sponsored by the Red Vardo Traders of Port-a-Lucine

Freydaelyn

• Mistress of Faces
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2023, 09:18:57 PM »
Le Phare: Issue 4

Publication date: 18/2/778

The Trial of Sacha Frelon
Quote from: The trial of Sacha Frelon
The talk of the town as of late has been the trial of Monsieur Sacha Frelon. As Le Phare’s mission is to report the news for all in the city this report will be scrubbed of opinion as much as possible to allow the reader the tools to enlighten their own opinion. We ask individuals of all walks of life to read this with an open mind as we are enlightened individuals who are all doing our best for our loved ones in this city.

Presiding over the trials was Pronouncer Cyrile Camus, representing the state’s prosecution was Mademoiselle Mariah Parsons. Monsieur Frelon represented himself in his own defense. In her opening statement Mademoiselle Parsons stated the following “The state intends to prove that the accused, Sacha Frelon, did knowingly and willingly kidnap Dame Genevive Chaboteaux. He then transported her through a war zone, around or through coalition military lines, and delivered her into the hands of the nation’s enemies.” As for the defense’s statement, Monsieur Frelon claimed that he did not at any time hold Dame Chaboteaux against her will.

With the opening statements made the state called their first two witnesses, The Baron de Puymeras, Sieur Baudouin de Courcillon, and the Vicomte de Roissy, Severin Marceaux. The line of questioning from the prosecution for both gentlemen was to establish that the Dame was being held within the keep, referred to multiple times as “The Twisted Keep”, that the enemy forces were held up in. The questions for Monsieur le Baron were focused on a parlay held and the questioning for the Vicomte focused on written conversations between the Vicomte and a sympathetic figure in the enemy camp. Of note it emphasized that the abduction was unplanned and that monsieur Frelon stayed on his own volition. It was noted that Sympathetic figure was a spy planted by the late Baronessa di Falssono aiding our forces on the inside.

The defense chose not to cross examine the Baron de Puymeras but did choose to do so for the Vicomte de Roissy. In his cross examination of the Vicomte Monsieur Frelon tried to paint a picture of his concern for the Dame. The next witness was Sieur Dorian de Sauvre who further gave credit to the spy on the inside of the keep.

The fourth witness was Docteur Girard Roy who spoke of the mental state and the trauma that Dame Chaboteaux sustained during her time being held within the Twisted keep. According to the testimony of Docteur Roy the dame “Likens the encounter to dreams. Rough hands, Violence, ropes about her wrists, turning into snakes.Nothing cogent enough for proper testimony.” It was the assertion of the state that no willing person would be in a state like the Dame currently is in. The Docteur was not cross examined by the defense.

During the testimony of the docteur it is worth noting that an individual provided a slip of paper to the defense (Though we at Le Phare are aware of the individual’s identity it was decided that it was best to leave their identity anonymous.) as the defense called back to the stand the Vicomte de Roissy. The Viscount was asked to describe what he saw in the tower and then presented the Vicomte with the letter he was recently handed. The Viscount admitted that he did remember writing this new piece of presented evidence. From there Monsieur Frelon tried to testify while not on the stand about the evidence instead of asking further questions. The state then took the opportunity to highlight the danger that the rescue mission for Dame Chaboteaux put on not only the rescuers but the dame for being there in the first place.

Monsieur Frelon took the stand next and explained that the Dame and him were coerced by Valstahd and Dove to move to the fields by sending a letter detailing atrocities being committed and urging them to act. During his Testimony Monsieur Frelon asserted that the Dame was a practitioner of magic. All the while Monsieur Frelon asserted that the Dame was a willing participant and that the letter he received was burned as he and the dame were acting outside the law and knew it. Additionally Monsieur Frelon claimed that the spy and the enemy captain Voiculet intended to betray the late Baronessa. The state wished that monsieur Frelon prove the dame was capable of practicing the arcane sciences. Mademoiselle Odette Clouter was called to the stand to testify and back the claims by monsieur Frelon. Mademoiselle Clouter mentioned that she had seen the dame make herself become unseen multiple times. The state then provided multiple items that could replicate this feat. Monsieur Frelon asserted the unseen travel is how he and the dame left the city. 

The final witness called by the state was a Mademoiselle Marie-Madeleine Michaut. It is to note that this individual was not questioned or spoke with Mademoiselle Parsons. Instead a different member of the Justice department conducted this part of the trial. Mademoiselle Michaut claimed to have been a former working girl that Monsieur Frelon managed. The Mademoiselle spoke of seeing monsieur Frelon with a red haired woman with tied wrists and that she was crying until she was hit into unconsciousness. The defense asked if the Mademoiselle had been compensated for her testimony. Beyond that there were no further questions for the mademoiselle.

The final statement from Pronouncer Camus was provocative, stating “Monsieur Frelon, I believe most, upon the moment of your entering this courtroom, expected this trial would have one singular foregone conclusion. There can, of course, be two reasons for such a notion. On, of course, would be thatthrough your association with criminals such as Guy Maurice, Murderer of Councilor Chantreaux, Felix Toure, the other recent malcontents, that you have damned yourself before the eyes of the public. That would, of course, be a rational if not just assumption. But such an assumption would imply a system broken beyond repair. Vengeance, rather than justice. It would imply that the many nobles of the republique, their retainers, those seated here amongst us, decorated soldiers and loyal wives and mothers, fought and died for a system that does not uplift justice. And that, I do not believe is a possibility, for my knowledge of those good people in attendance. So that leaves of course, the other option. That you are guilty.” Monsieur Frelon was found guilty of all charges and has been sentenced to public execution via guillotine. As of the publishing of this edition of Le Phare the event has not happened.

Vesnia’s Intrepid Travelogue
Quote from: Vesnia's Intrepid Travelouge
Vesnia’s Travelogue
MARKOVIA, Voyage One

We embarked upon our voyage to Markovia on the 9th of February. Among our number was the courageous and able swordsman and avid big game hunter, Franz Dietrich, and a talented guide of his recommendation, Victor de Corvis. The exotic Rashemi beauty and talented magus Atossa Iltyazara also attended us, alongside her stalwart bodyguard Merenia Varr. I saw a gifted local illustrator, Jules Leveau, brought along on this perilous voyage as well. All ought to be commended for their heroism and strength in the face of the great adversity we faced on that untamed and savage island.

The first captains we sought to charter a ship from were reluctant to sail anywhere close to Markovia. Regardless, after much struggle, we managed to secure passage to its northern shores. Upon arrival, it became clear why ship captains tend to keep away; along the rocky crags were the corpses of many ill-fated voyages and expeditions, a veritable graveyard with capsized hulls and broken masts instead of bones. Great stone monuments depicting faces judging and stern simply looked on pitilessly as men drowned and were swiftly hunted down and killed by the hostile natives.

The “Great Stone Men”, as they are called, are deserving of closer study themselves. They are ancient marvels and unlikely to be the work of the savage natives. Both they and the ruined temple complex just to the south of where we arrived seem to hint at a precursor civilization that had collapsed and reverted to the tribalism that presently exists on Markovia. Per our guide de Corvis, one part of the temple complex is now wholly submerged and tremors continue to be felt from a truly massive earthquake from times past. Could this be what brought a once-great civilization low? We did not venture inside the complex, yet it shall surely be a target for future expeditions. A dig or a deep delve into the complex seems likely.

We ultimately had to cut through dense vegetation as we made our way through the jungles. The exotic and colorful flowers found by my colleague and fellow Erudite Medb Neasa we unfortunately didn’t find, suggestive that the plants she catalogued are not perennial; instead, we found other plants native to elsewhere in the Sea of Sorrows, such as the Brides’ Lock, native to Blaustein. A disappointment, but close examination of the trees yet remains warranted, as the tropical climes suggest that nutmeg could be found here.

While the flora we encountered wasn’t remarkable or particularly noteworthy, the same cannot be said of the fauna. A rich abundance of wildlife flourishes on the island: parrots, parakeets, great cats such as lions and jaguars, some of prolific and unbelievable size, wild pigs and boars, monkeys of all shapes and sizes, massive spiders, and more. Of particular note are the many elephants, whose tusks will surely make for an excellent source of ivory. The expedition has taken these and the hides of these magnificent beasts as proof of the bounty to be found on this island.

Even more remarkable are the other resources to be found on the isle. The heretofore unnamed river that feeds into what is known as Sunset Bay, which we hereby dub the Argent River, is one that gleams with an abundance of silver deposits, flanked on the left by a mountain of visible silver veins. We have collected some samples of the silver to be found there, alongside pearls collected from Sunset Bay, their size about the same as my closed fist.

Of course, the great obstacle between the civilized world and this bounty is the natives, who react to outsiders with hostility sans hesitation or warning. Wearing the pelts of massive wolves and great cats, in the dark of night when they make their ambushes, one could be forgiven for believing the fantastical sailor’s tales of “beast-men” and of animals walking on two legs as a man does. They are certainly animalistic, almost bestial, in their brutality, and in the vicious and relentless of their attacks. Regardless, the expedition’s muscle in Dietrich and Varr comported itself admirably in the face of their persistent assaults, even if we did have to retreat from exploring the Sunset Bay and surrounding environs further in the face of overwhelming numbers.

Thus, we are left with a great question. No one can contest that the island ought to be explored and charted. None would contest that the island and the lay of it ought to be better understood. None would dare say that the secrets of the vast temple complexes on the isle or those of the Great Stone Men ought to be laid bare. However, more controversial is the question of whether another permanent colony ought to be established on Markovia.

My critics and detractors, who have already made themselves known to me, have made their answer to that question clear enough. They point to the failed voyages and colonies in the past, such as Lamordia’s own recent failure, as proof that the island was never meant to be tamed, and that there is no proof in trying. Still others suggest that it is amoral to attempt to exploit the island’s resources and that the island ought to remain untamed and thus “pristine” - a foolish and myopic view that stands in opposition to progress. Lamordia tried to establish a colony on the island; they will attempt to do so again, and in doing so, have the mineral wealth and ore to see Falkovnia well-supplied with high quality arms and armor for much of the foreseeable future. If we do not take Markovia’s bounty for our own, someone else will.

Thus concludes my travelogue (for now) and initial survey of the island. My gratitude and highest respects to the Viscount of Roissy and his wife, and House Marceaux for sponsoring and funding this expedition, and to the brave individuals who joined me on it. Thank you for the efforts of our illustrator, Jules Leveau, for helping to try and bring Markovia's wonders to life.

- Vesnia Endymion of Neblus, Intrepid Explorer and Archaeologist

Attack on the Penthouse
Quote from: Attack on the Penthouse
On the 11th of Fevir a brutal attack happened within the upper floors of the Governor's hotel in the Publique. Being held at the time was a victory celebration hosted by Mariah Parsons to celebrate the recent success in the Silent Fields. While many remembered the lives of those lost little did those inside know of the danger that lurked. During the events a member of the security staff came to the penthouse to inform of an odd smell that others occupying the hotel had noticed. Though some left the celebration continued as it was intended to at this time. During some time of the events the Falkovnian Ambassador, Hermann Von Wittendorf, joined in the festivities. It was after the arrival of the Ambassador that the attack happened. Multiple witnesses credit the assault to the wanted individual Daidriann Valstahd assaulted the guests with a large two handed axe. Many were gravely wounded including Mademoiselle Parsons who was placed as a morbid display within the publique along with the Falvonian Ambassador. Ambassador Von Wittendorf leaves behind a wife and probably others who might mourn his passing if we are to give speculation a place in this article. All others harmed have been able to make a recovery.

Other Stories of Note

Quote from: Other Stories of Note

⚜ The Orchard and Willow had a successful and well received debut of the play "Madame Vigourous"
⚜ There was a lively performance at Fantaisies Luciniennes. Keep eyes on that venue for more.
⚜ Mutltiple individuals received support and aid for scholastic, artistic, and industrious pursuits with the recent Day of Patronage that was hosted by the Viscount of Roissy at the Cart Wheel.

Looking for Contributors

Freydaelyn

• Mistress of Faces
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2023, 08:03:24 PM »
Le Phare: Issue 5

Publication date: 2/3/778

Continued Attacks Within the City
Quote from: Continued Attacks Within the City
Since the end of the Silent Fields campaign there have been multiple attacks on individuals within the city. Targets of these attacks have been those of well means in the eastern districts and almost exclusively Falkovnian birth within the western districts. These attacks are credited to the wanted man, Daidriann Valstahd and his associates. For at least one attack there were reports of an awful smell before the attack happened, this is likely due to travel within the vast sewers within the city. We at Le Phare urge the utmost caution to any individual traveling at night within the city and to avoid the entrances to the sewers.

Discoveries in the Black Sands of Har’Akir

The following travelogue will also be serving as my thesis paper required for graduation, and shall find itself submitted to the University of Dementlieu and Prof. Thomas Caldwell, Dean of Faculty of History, for their edification.

East of Muhar lies a spot in the desert known to the locals as the “black sands”. Originally I thought it named thus because of there being evidence of silt deposits; however, I now believe the locals call it that for far more superstitious reasons, believing that spot of the desert to be especially cursed. According to the locals, the dead rise from the sands once Ra has been chased away, and Apophis or Apep’s influence is felt most strongly - after the sun sets, and only stars and the moon pierce the twilight.

Accompanying me as part of a planned field study were Mlles. Odette Cloutier, Louise Foucault, and Meilian, alongside M. de Hopital and Viris. We were eventually joined by a doomsayer who wished to peer over the ruins and be reminded of everything’s impermanence. Through the Vistani, we were offered safe passage through the Mists to the Amber Wastes…

The dig site was chosen due to its considerable distance from other notable ruins buried in the sands, who are with regularity plundered and picked clean by grave robbers and opportunists. While there may be some chance given later to perhaps visiting these sites and seeing what they might have overlooked, it was not my intention at the time to follow in others’ footsteps. That is not what the intrepid do.

Our arrival was not without resistance. Some ne’er-do-wells, hoping to hoard what treasure lay beneath for themselves, disguised themselves as restless Akiri dead to try and scare us and the locals off. It probably worked on the Akiri themselves, but we would not be so easily shaken. My stalwart companions and I, of course, made short work of these men when they decided to attack us without provocation.

We discovered what we realized was a tower that belonged to a far larger super-structure, buried beneath the sand. Two large sand dunes rest to both the south and the west, looking as though they conceal something large. Akiri fables speak of the Great Pyramid of Zoser, and the Great Obelisks of Khufu, Khafre, and Menkaure[1] — could one of these grand monuments rest beneath the desert wastes?

Inside the tower’s lone entryway were stairs leading downwards into a modest, one-room shrine to Bes. Bes is a deity both masculine and feminine. In his masculine form, Bes is a stout dwarf-sized figure with long, lanky arms and jolly mien who enjoys festivals, feasts, music, dance, and all forms of earthly pleasure. He acts, too, as a symbol of virility. His feminine mirror, Baset, symbolizes fertility and childbirth, and likewise acts as a guardian and protector for children. In both forms, Bes is a lover and protector of all things good, and stands in opposition to all things bad - famine, disease, and misery.

The shrine itself is sparsely decorated, with only three halfling-sized amphora and a mosaic near the entrance present beside the stone statue dedicated to the deity resting in the room’s center. The statue captured both sides to this dualistic god, giving it an altogether androgynous appearance. Neither the statue nor the amphorae were particularly lavish; grave robbers interested only in the gleaming of gold, silver, and rare gems would have little reason to disturb this shrine — there is simply no lucre to plunder.

However, that does not mean that there isn’t a wealth of knowledge to be uncovered here. The designs on the amphorae, once we can be assured they can be safely transported, could teach us much about both the age of the shrine and the super-structure it is a part of. Furthermore, the mosaic on the wall is a masterpiece from ages past; if grave robbers recognized its value, they remained unable to abscond with it due to its size and the logistics involved in moving it.

Illustration of a charcoal rubbing taken from the Shrine of Bes, 778 B.C.

The mosaic depicts a grand revelry, likely as part of a festival, with musicians playing the aulos (or “double-flute”, a reed instrument similar in sound to the hautbois), and men and women (a few in various states of undress) dancing about with abandon. It is exactly the sort of merriment Bes would look upon favorably, and yet the shrine is on the whole too small to play host to such an event, suggesting that this may be a personal shrine belonging to an influential Akiri family, perhaps even one of the pharaohs themselves.

Though we began shoveling in and around the tower and even utilized methods involving the arcane sciences to try and expedite our work, it quickly became clear that it was cut out for us and that this would be a project that would involve a lengthy presence at the dig site, on the order of weeks or months. One of our number, M. l’Hopital, attempted to use a crowbar to lift up one of the limestone tiles in the hopes of granting us access to the rooms underneath, yet the weight of the tile meant it would not budge - remarkable, when one thinks of how sturdy this structure has remained in the face of time’s rigor. Of course, I am no architect or mason, and thus will let Mlle. Foucault attend to the specifics.

We hope to return with heavy picks and other tools that might better pierce the limestone without causing too much damage to the shrine itself, and in such a case, we intend to make our stay considerably longer.

Until next time, dear readers!
- Vesnia Endymion
 1. Arsene l'Hopital, Several Akiri Scrolls, Translated and Explained

On the Execution of Sacha Frelon - By Mariah Parsons
Quote from: On the Execution of Sacha Frelon
I am writing to express outrage at the recent execution of Sacha Frelon that took place last week. The condemned was scheduled to be executed by the guillotine, which is viewed by our society as a humane and enlightened means of carrying out such a grim duty. However, on this occasion, the guillotine's blade was dull, resulting in a prolonged and torturous death for Monsieur Frelon, more fit for the corpse-ridden dirt paths of Barovia than for the clean cobbles in front of the Palais. I agreed to be the prosecuting attorney in Monsieur Frelon's case so that justice might be done, only to learn that some mundane blade sharpener has undermined the entire process.

It is unacceptable that such a travesty could occur in a society like the Serene Republic. The negligence displayed by those responsible for the maintenance of the guillotine is not only unconscionable, but it also calls into question the very principles of justice and human rights that the Republic is founded upon. Monsieur Frelon was not the only victim of this gross negligence - Sieur Dorian de Sauvre was forced to use his service pistol to grant the condemned a small measure of mercy, metaphorically staining his hands with Monsieur Frelon's blood because someone couldn't be bothered to do their duty.

I call upon the authorities to launch a thorough investigation into this matter, and to take the necessary steps to ensure that such a mockery of justice never happens again. The condemned deserve to be treated with dignity and respect no matter their crime, and it is our duty to ensure that they are executed in a humane and just manner. This is what separates Dementlieuse justice from barbaric vengeance. I urge the authorities to take swift action to address this issue, and to hold accountable those responsible for the negligence that led to this tragic event.

Mariah Parsons

Upcoming Events of Interest

Quote from: Upcoming Events of Interest

⚜ Various lectures are in vouge at the University. Postings for a multitude of subjects are ongoing, including those from contributors to Le Phare.
⚜ The Orchard and Lilly are hosting Auditions on the 4th for their newest performance "Journey to the Oasis". It looks as though the venue is hoping to build upon the success of it's last performance.
⚜ Multiple events for Rose Day have been scheduled, A gala hosted by the Troupe of the Theatre de la Cathedrale as well as an event at Fantaisies Luciniennes. There is sure to be an event for all within the city to enjoy for the coming holiday.
⚜ The Gala of Newfound abundance is to be held on the 12th of Mars in an effort to raise money to aid those who lost their providers within the city after the Silent Fields. Hosted by Mademoiselle Goulet with sponsorships from house De Courcillon as well as House du Sauvre.
⚜ Rumor is a new venue is to open in the space that the Former Consulate of Borca is located in the coming weeks. Keep your eyes peeled for definitive announcements in the coming days.

Looking for Contributors

Freydaelyn

• Mistress of Faces
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2023, 02:36:15 PM »
Le Phare: Issue 6

Publication date: 2/11/778

A letter from the Owner
Quote from: A letter from the Owner
When I first started Le Phare my original intent was to keep everyone informed of what was important going on within the city, not the gossip, not the fluff of happenings with the nobility alone, but matters that affect everyone. Over time this has expanded into aiding others get their voices out with fair compensation for their time and efforts, in doing so I started accruing costs. It is because of this we originally took a sponsor to ensure that Le Phare was continued to be printed at no cost to the readers.

As of this issue our former sponsor will be behind two payments to aid in compensating our other writers. As of this issue Le Phare will be seeking other sponsors for our publication. Our mission has not changed, to aid in supporting the flow of information within the city of lights, but as the mission grows it is essential that I see those who aid in it treated fairly and with respect. These last two issues have seen me paying the other writers out of pocket. Any parties interested in sponsoring Le Phare are welcome to write to me at my home or either of my offices.

Fīat jūstitia ruat cælum

Alisaie Goulet

Vesnia’s Travelogue - Markovia, Voyage Two

It was a few weeks ago that I, Vesnia Endymion, INTREPID explorer and famed archaeologist, arrived upon the craggy and violent shores of the isle of Markovia. Ever since I began exploration of the isle, I was resolved, determined, to bring the light of civilization to its dark, jungle-infested heart. Before that could be done, however, the isle’s many mysteries had to be unraveled and revealed, starting with the large temple complex that rested to the south of the Great Stone Men. Accompanying me on this grand expedition were the stalwart Franz Dietrich and his attendant, Cathea, Maitresse Josephine Perigord, my colleague in the Society of the Erudite, Mlle. Louise Foucault, another colleague named Vasryll Xu’vizh, yet another named M. l’Hopital, Mlle. Mariah Parsons, esteemed painter Mlle. Odette Cloutier, and last but certainly not least, my employer Samurai Yasutsugi Katayama.

Before continuing on with speaking on the expedition and our findings, I would like to personally offer my gratitude and appreciation to those who have sponsored and patronized my endeavors abroad, among their number the Viscount of Roissy, Dame Enora of House Courcillon and her brother the Baron of Puymeras, Mlle. Mariah Parsons, and most importantly, Clan Katayama, its sponsored enterprises in Katayama Steel and Silk, and their own sponsor, the Bellegarde Consortium. To this end, I claim the silver that has been discovered south of Sunset Bay along what I have named the Argent River on behalf of Signeur Louis de Bellegarde and the Board of Directors to the Bellegarde Consortium, and they are thus the rightful owners of the mineral wealth that rests there. Furthermore, any lumber derived from the Valachani redwood tree, gold deposits, and other building materials resistant to corrosion are hereby claimed on behalf of Clan Katayama and by Katayama Steel and Silk. Efforts shall be made to ensure both of these claims are recognized in a Dementlieuse court of law.

Now, onto the expedition! Before moving on to our destination, I asked Mlle. Foucault of the Great Stone Men and their origins. According to her, the fact that many of the facial features of these stone monuments remained distinct meant erosion had not yet taken its toll. Thus, Foucault placed the relative date of their construction to no more than a century ago. I found her answer peculiar, since the complex to the south seemed so much older… yet who could have built them? In my mind, the answers would rest somewhere in our intended destination. We would continue south, though I asked Mlle. Cloutier to sketch the Great Stone Men and provide us with a suitable illustration, one that I intend to show off at a planned exhibit.

The way to the temple was fraught with peril, though my traveling companions handled the dangers offered by the jungles with ease. As large pythons drew close to ensnare my small form, Samurai Katayama drew forth his nodachi and sliced them cleanly in twain. Subtler danger lurked in the form of innocuous and colorful tree frogs, their skin a bright red - yet knowing of the toxin they carry, we elected to admire them from afar and decided against handling them. Not all of the fauna meant harm, however — M. d’Hopital found himself enamored with a fun-loving monkey on the island!

Once we reached the temple complex itself, Foucault immediately took notice of the newer, wooden buildings built around the ancient stone pavilion that rested in the center of the complex. Many of these buildings were gutted by fire, though the charred remnants of these structures is evidence enough that although the temple itself was centuries old, it was inhabited prior to the Great Upheaval.

As we climbed down through a trap door beneath one burnt-out husk, we stumbled into an ancient passageway that the more recent inhabitants had transformed into a cellar full of kegs containing wine and beer. Ancient pictograms decorated the halls and doorways, which I have taken charcoal rubbings of and have elected to feature here:

Strangely enough, these symbols of a unknown meaning were found juxtaposed alongside pre-Upheaval fashions and curios from all over the Core and, curiously enough, chests full of weapons traditionally used by ascetics. Kamas, nunchaku, and heavy gauntlets typically favored by martial artists were dug up with frequency, alongside sets of monastic robes.

The identity of the complex’s most recent inhabitants quickly became clear to us, the deeper we went — they were monks, belonging to a discipline known as “The Order of the Guardians”. Not much is known about them, and yet one yellowed journal penned by their number was uncovered by the expedition and spoke of one hoping to impart upon a neonate among their number a sense of “duty”, hoping to direct him towards “their purpose”. Another still spoke of something called “the Calling” - perhaps a higher calling that all who belonged to the Order adhered to?

The primary sources we uncovered also serve as confirmation of a theory that struggles to find traction among some scholars, most of whom dismiss it as absurd. This theory declares that the exotic and poorly understood land that was called Markovia, once resting in the Core’s center where the Shadow Rift now exists, is the same land as the island that now shares its name. One of the Order’s “brothers” writes in a journal entry, dated 732 BC (before the Great Upheaval) of a trip to Viktal in northern Tepest, chasing after a sewing needle “made of starlight”. Tepest was adjacent to what was once called Markovia, proving what some would categorically deny (as an aside, it puzzles me that they do - they can agree that landmasses are moved around by the Mists, and yet the idea that one can be transplanted into the Sea of Sorrows is somehow too much of a reach?).

Infesting the passageway turned makeshift cellar were swarms of hundreds of tiny yet deadly spiders, alongside stone statues that had been animated through magical processes. It is my belief that the Order of the Guardians built these constructs to help them in defending what they had seen transformed into their monastery, though it begs the question as to what would warrant these rather extreme security measures. Even stranger still, the faces of the statues were chiseled away, even from the stationary ones they saw placed around some of the chambers we explored — what prompted this deliberate act of iconoclasm? Was it their doing, a way to safeguard their own identities and protect their order’s secrets… or was it the act of some other, unseen party?

Yet as perilous as our exploration of this passageway proved to be, the real trial for the expedition laid ahead, as another wing of the complex still intact was flooded and now fully submerged; even worse, our guide from the previous expedition was correct, and that wing was wracked by tremors. As sturdy as the complex was, it only be a few years or even a decade at most before the tremors cause that entire wing to collapse or be reclaimed by the sea.

We had to move quickly, and yet the water’s current moved against us, driving us all towards the very precipice of exhaustion. Worse, the tremors jostled us about in the brackish waters. The indomitable forces of nature made themselves our adversary in that place, and that is further evidenced in the fauna we encountered - hungry carnivorous fish worked into a frenzy and electric eels of positively massive size. With all these things arranged against us, we heroically pushed forward.

We encountered more of the ambulatory statues as we progressed onwards, and a remarkably sophisticated traps in the form of cleverly-hidden snares and pressure plates attempted to further impede us. Again, these seem like the work of the monks. How else would they have gotten around if these were not their handiwork but instead that of their precursors?

One statue rested ahead of us at the end of the long, waterlogged passageway, seemingly stationary, holding a glimmering ruby of unusual size and beauty in its palm. Dietrich, with the bravery of a lion, moved to claim the ruby from the statue’s grasp, only to find the statue wrapping its arms about him in a vise-like embrace. The strongest among us worked to pry Dietrich free and I quickly worked to replace the ruby with a less precious gemstone — in the end, the statue returned to its silent vigil over its new treasure.

At that point, our focus turned to escape — Samurai Katayama warned us of an eel, monstrous in size, guarding the way we came, and so we tried to plan another way out. Since we were all underwater, we had to communicate with only gestures and unintelligible, bubbling grunts, an arduous task made even more difficult since time was not on our side. Light poured in from the ceiling in the chamber at the end, and so we initially thought to widen the hole it came from, yet Foucault feared that doing so would risk the possibility of the ceiling’s collapse — immurement, and a watery grave. We were thus left with no choice but to confront the colossal moray.

Fortunately for us, we found it fast asleep… yet even as we crept up to it, we could feel the water charged with electrical current around us. The hairs stood on our neck, if not from fear then from the static energy this beast produced by mere presence alone. My own short blade entered the creature’s head and pierced its grey matter, yet this only served to rouse it… yet through combined arms and perseverance, the gargantuan eel was slain. Further evidence of island gigantism at work — what other fantastical beasts lay elsewhere in Markovia’s jungles?

As we exited, we all took long, much welcome gasps of air… yet we could not relax, for a pack of hungry jaguars had found their quarry — us. Again, we prevailed… and yet greater dangers lurked beneath jungle canopies as night began to fall. Mlle. Cloutier spotted what looked to be an insect, walking on two legs, much as a man would. Others saw it, too, and yet when I went to look in its direction, it was nowhere to be seen. What was this strange creature? Could it perhaps have been a native dressed in chitinous armor, watching us from afar… or some heretofore unidentified horror that Markovia’s unusual clime and environs has produced?

Weary and worn, we elected to return to civilization… yet the inner sanctum to the monastery yet remains unexplored. Soon, we shall return and we shall learn what the monks who called that complex home sought to protect… or did they try to protect some great treasure and fail? These mysteries and more shall be solved, in time.

Let all who joined me be commended for their bravery and may it be recognized by all. Until next time, dear readers!

- Vesnia Endymion

Introducing la Dama di Porcellana
Quote from: Introducing la Dama di Porcellana
In our previous issue Le Phare made mention that the former Borcan Consulate was being renovated for a new venue to take its place. As many of you have likely seen walking by there has been a new sign added to the exterior of the building. Dearest readers, Le Phare would like to be the first to introduce you to “La Dama di Porcellana”. The Porcelain lady is a venue to further promote cultural growth and unity between Dementlieu and Borca, the vision of unity as promoted by the late Baronessa di Falsanno Roxana Barozzi. This venue is operated by Dame Enora de Courcillon, Signor Romeo Antonino Igrayne Lascaris, Cavalier di Marcinera, Cavaliere of the Order of the Dame Portenanuli, and Mademoiselle Alisaie Goulet.

La Dama di Porcellana sports a lovely bar area where you are greeted as you enter by a lovely painting of the Porcelain lady painted by the fantastic Mademoiselle Eudonie Loupon. Further in there is a craft room to be used for future events and a lovely small stage venue. Though the trio have not announced a grand opening to the venue the three when asked privately have said it will be announced soon. Those interested in performing at, hosting events, or with questions are encouraged to write to the venue.

Looking for Contributors

Freydaelyn

• Mistress of Faces
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2023, 01:00:12 AM »
Le Phare: Issue 7

Publication date: 3/8/778

A letter from the Owner
Quote from: A letter from the Owner
Le Phare does it’s best to make sure that our content can reach those from all walks of life. Though we understand not all of what we publish will be for everyone at all times we stand by our credibility and ability to do research on what we publish. With this said our mission is NOT a dirt sheet for mud slinging. Recently we received claims that I will not publish here due to not being news. Rather whomever this “Seduced Mockingbird” is thought that I would publish a hit piece not only against multiple members of the Gentry but a member of our very own Gendarme Nationale.

The attempted political attack against House Corbeau and the Gendarme Nationale will not be published within these pages, I did my research speaking with multiple witnesses of the events sent to me, as well as being allowed access to gendarme reports at the time and found that it was nothing more than an attempt to damage reputation. While some of you may not care for House Corbeau or some of you may hold no opinion, what is apparent is some people with axes to grind will sink to any level to teardown and harm their apparent foes.

While opinions may differ between myself and the Editor of “Le Cause” from time to time, his paper is a wonderful example of how to express discontent and work towards productive ends. A wise individual once said to myself that “We spend far too much time attacking each other and it makes us weaker to our true enemies. I want to be in a dementlieu where this is not the case” and I couldn't agree more. While we do not always see eye to eye as a people we are citizens of the same republique, the order of such is what helps us blossom and bloom.

Anyone with information on this “Seduced Mockingbird” or "Séduie Moqueur” is asked to write to myself, Monsieur le Baronet Lambert Corbeau, or the Gendarme Nationale.

Fiat justitia ruat caelum,

Alisaie Goulet

Markovia, Voyage Three

We set off again for the jungles of Markovia and the green canopies of its vine-covered trees; in my company was fellow explorer Mademoiselle Larissa Vouivre, daughter to the famed explorer Baronet Sean Vouivre, and the Invidian archaeologist Natalia Makarov, whose recent treatise on the elven ruins found in eastern Barovia personally impressed me. Also in my company were many who joined me during my last voyage to Markovia, including Mlle. Mariah Parsons, M. Arsene l’Hopital, Samurai Yasutsugi Katayama, my colleague, Mlle. Louise Foucault, the Baronet d’Averine and a number of newcomers, including my countryman Kassian Cervantes and an elven swordsman of considerable skill named Azravael Haz'eraxx.

Once the expedition’s supplies had been given over to Cervantes, whom volunteered to serve as the quartermaster for our journey, the ten of us set off. However, when we disembarked and arrived at the Great Stone Men, something was left near the statue’s base for us to find.

It was an illustration, left upon a piece of parchment, depicting a boar holding a katana between its tusks and a squirrel clutching a dagger, locked in mortal combat. It does not take a genius to determine who this illustration was meant to depict; I’ll not lie, it was amusing, at least at first.

However, as we made our way to the monastery, we found more illustrations identical to the first, alongside written japes poorly disguised as journal entries from an ill-fated adventurer’s travelogue. One example mentioned a fearsome beast that had ingested obscene amounts of coffee, and another mentioned a tomb filled with katanas. What started out amusing began to wear rather thin in relatively short order. My traveling companions eventually settled on a sobriquet for my secret admirer: “the Doodler”.

We encountered both terrifying jaguars and large constrictor snakes on our way to the site. One python set about coiling itself around me and began to squeeze, though my colleague Makarov was quick with her khopesh to see it cut away as she heard my screams and cries for help. The Samurai fended off some of the great cats that prowled the ruins of the monastery with his nodachi, the jaguar pelt worn on his back serving as a warning to the rest. The Baronet d’Averine could not help but admire the exotic fauna of the island, watching the colorful parrots and parakeets soar high above us, yet his own bladework was also instrumental in getting us to where we were headed as the natives sought to impede us.

Φ

Eventually, we arrived at our destination; a strange glyph on a boulder marked its location. After some searching, I found the fissure leading to the antechamber attached to the inner sanctum… and one by one, we squeezed our way inside. I slipped on the brass puzzle ring that was solved onto my finger, and reached out towards the shimmering cerulean barrier of pure magic, and it was like plunging my hand into a pond; it was ice-cold, and ripples were visible along the barrier’s surface until suddenly, it disappeared, as though it never were. The ring around my finger vanished; first the socketed aquamarine in its center, and then the brass band that held it. I then stuck the heavy iron key in the thick stone door, and turned. It broke off inside the door, but then descended all the same.

There were more of the defaced, ambulatory statues that others and I had encountered in the wings of the temple complex, though they were joined by an entirely new kind of construction, as beautiful as it was deadly. Its skin was made from stained glass, emerald green in color, and crafted into the shape of a resplendent feminine figure draped in robes. As some of us admired its craftsmanship, it drew close.. and then it began to move its arms, gesticulating as though performing the somatic components to a spell.

We sprung into action, though too late; I felt the air around me tingle, and then a surge of electrical current rushed through me and made my hair stand on end. I looked around, seeing a few of our number in a similar state, the burns from where gouts of lightning struck them visible on their skin. A couple of our number fainted, though bandages, potions, and poultices were quickly applied in the aftermath. It was all over in a flash, but we had prevailed, the stone fists of the sanctum’s guardians hitting the swordsmen among our expedition with all the effectiveness of the tide upon jagged cliffs.

I was wounded, but my heart kept pumping from the action mere moments earlier; we began to look around and came to notice various detritus littering the floor of the site; herbs like oregano, discarded and broken statuettes, and a massive standing harp. Atop a platform was another one of the illustrations from before; the Doodler had beaten us here!

A few of our number began to despair, fearing that the Doodler’s disruptions of our site had spoiled it completely. However, my would-be rival rather effectively demonstrated with their actions that they wholly misunderstood the point of my work. They operated under the impression that what I was after were riches, valuables. They thought me a mere antiquarian, not a proper historian and archaeologist. What I am after, what I have always been after, is answers. The same can be said of my peers, who will publish their own findings on what was discovered.

In spite of everything the Doodler did, we nevertheless did manage to find some items of value. A large chunk of cinnabryl ore, used in the manufacture of an alloy known as “red steel”, was found and turned over to our master smith, Samurai Katayama. Beyond that was the strange stones socketed into the chest of the stained-glass woman we encountered; with a knife, I carefully pried the massive glass hearts out from their chest. For her own part, Makarov took out a geode similar to one I found in a previous expedition from the torso of one of the animated statues and intends to bring it before an arcane scientist for further study. I look forward to hearing and reading of her discoveries.

Miss Vouivre noted that the chamber we found ourselves in appeared more like a room for ceremonies than a vault. “Vaults are built below, this was built above”. It has made me consider a few things; if clearly was a vault, given the empty wooden coffer that rested in the room’s center and all the protective measures built by the Order of the Guardians to protect their charge, but was it only that? What strange and esoteric rituals did they carry out in here?

We sadly may never know without efforts being made towards further excavation of the site. There were stairways leading down and what seemed to be the beginnings of other corridors leading out from the chamber, and yet the entryways had collapsed… and there is ample evidence that such was done so deliberately by the Order of the Guardians. One section of a journal entry penned by the Order’s Abbot dated in the year 736 BC made it clear that he was the one who had flooded one wing of the complex in an effort to safeguard the secrecy of the Order, though he wrote also that he had failed “as a leader, and worse, as a father”, believing he would never be able to forgive himself. Whatever the Order of the Guardians sought to accomplish, they had failed.

Evidence of their failure lay in the empty wooden chest, plain in its design, that rested atop a platform at the room’s center, now housing only dust and cobwebs. There was nothing here for the Doodler to disturb because there was nothing there for him to take. As I attempted to peer within, though, I felt a shiver run down my spine. I had goosebumps, and something felt wrong, even to me as a woman of erudition and one not often susceptible to superstitious fancies. Could the Order of the Guardians have been right to have safeguarded this treasure, whatever it may have been, from the outside world?

In my doctoral dissertation, I wrote of evidence that a necromancer attacked the monastery, using an army of re-animated corpses he had collected following a slaughter in the village of Linde in Tepest around 735 BC. The census records of the village and the discovery of traditionally Tepestani weaponry on the way to and inside the monastery supports and corroborates this. What if this necromancer made off with his coveted prize? What if the ruin that came for the Order of the Guardians was man-made? In my mind, there is growing evidence to support that claim.

Since we had time left over, I thought to guide the expedition towards the grounds that elephants liked to graze, further to the south. However, we encountered greater resistance than anticipated, and night began to fall. The natives struck at us, wielding weapons made of stone and wood, some of which contained peculiar innovations, like piranha teeth lined along one side to make it act as though a saw. Barbaric, vicious, yet undeniably effective.

Regrettably, Cervantes would find himself on the business end of one of these crude implements, though quick work by the healers among our expedition would ensure he would make a recovery, however slow it might be.

Before returning to the northern coast, we did briefly stay in the encampment maintained by Juergen, a taciturn hunter of Lamordian descent likely as not descended from that country’s own failed colonial venture. His companions, who maintained the camp alongside him, were a Souragnien root-worker named Simone and a sentry that defies all categorization and taxonomy and yet is best described as a cross between man and praying mantis, with six arms. Despite its monstrous appearance, it showed no signs of outward hostility towards us.

The Baronet d’Averine had working knowledge of their kind through acquaintances of his; they call themselves “thri-kreen” and have their origins in the near-mythical desert wastes of Kalidnay, said to rest deep within the Mists’ own embrace. How, then, did this specimen arrive in Markovia? A heretofore undiscovered mistway? Did he arrive with others from this strange, savage and poorly understood locale? At present, all we can do is speculate, though I have included here a crude sketch of the creature.

We returned to the northern shores and eventually to civilization, with some of us bloodied and bruised, but everyone alive if a touch grimy and covered in our own sweat. Despite the efforts made by a third party to knock the wind from our sails, we did not return empty-handed as they might have hoped for. Instead, our arms were full of the knowledge we had gained… because that was the aim all along.

The Doodler likely fancies themselves to be terribly clever, though as my recent victory in the Detective’s Masquerade has shown, I consider myself quite adept when it comes to deductive reasoning. There are few parties or individuals who would have the ability and talent to get themselves ahead of our expedition, and fewer still who would have a reason to interfere with it. Whoever was responsible possesses the skill to work out puzzles, disarm booby-traps, and deal with complex locks and possesses enough of a grudge against me and against the Samurai to commit fully to their plan. Now that, dear reader, happens to narrow down the field of possible culprits considerably, doesn’t it?

Yet clearly the Doodler and whomever they had as accomplices do not understand the work I do. They do not understand because they cannot understand; their puny minds can only calculate the value of things in terms of short-term gain. They can only see wealth in what glitters, just like any other pedestrian crypt robber and salvager. It is impossible for me to respect someone who cannot recognize the difference between that and the work my colleagues and I indulge in. I can only offer them pity.

Regardless, it has taught me that I shall have to exercise greater discretion with regards to my expeditions and thus, I shall no longer publish details ahead of time concerning our intended destination, for both my sake and the sake of those accompanying me. As always, those who came with comported themselves well, and the Doodler’s actions slighted not just the Samurai and myself but also them as well.

Until next, my readers!

- Dr. Vesnia Endymion
Lecturer, University of Dementlieu

Looking for Contributors