You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Wishful Thinking: Tracking System.  (Read 406 times)

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
Wishful Thinking: Tracking System.
« on: November 29, 2022, 08:23:04 AM »
Is this possible?

I just saw a thread mentioning that it is unfair that people corpsehide "without leaving hints". Well, leaving hints is more or less like leaving tracks. It would be nice if a Ranger or a Druid outdoors or a Rogue or grimetrekker could do that in closed spaces with enough search skill.
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

Ryujin

• The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Dark Lord
Re: Wishful Thinking: Tracking System.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2022, 08:50:29 AM »
Not sure if this is feasible to create without the players themselves leaving some form of tracks.  In reality it's still very possible to cover up all your tracks after all. So how would one distinguish from that/be able to cover their tracks?
Active: Naexalim Alearaheal. Chen Mei
Shelved: Corin Bluespire, Osirion Shivan, Dukgeth, Valathar El'lyn. Closured: Cyrun Mask

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2022, 08:54:37 AM »
Not sure if this is feasible to create without the players themselves leaving some form of tracks.  In reality it's still very possible to cover up all your tracks after all. So how would one distinguish from that/be able to cover their tracks?

First, I frankly doubt it would be feasible without draining server resources.

Regarding a system, for brainstorm purposes, I'd say:

The player tracking tags the player he wants to track (for you need to know who you're looking for or receiving dm indication if who was in that scene). After that, the tracking player rolls consistently for search x the tagged player MS (with a bonus if the player is in stealth). A success means you jeep the trail,a failur you lost it.

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2022, 09:09:10 AM »
On arelith there is a system to search for clues and interrogate NPCs when stuff happens. people also leave tracks IIRC, and those with high enough spot can detect them. thats a huge impact on the server though... impossible no... but...

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2022, 09:57:41 AM »
Is this possible?

I just saw a thread mentioning that it is unfair that people corpsehide "without leaving hints". Well, leaving hints is more or less like leaving tracks. It would be nice if a Ranger or a Druid outdoors or a Rogue or grimetrekker could do that in closed spaces with enough search skill.

I did rp this once before with a wolf animal companion. But it would be amazing to have something implemented that may allow for druids and rangers to track like footprints from a death scene. It could be perhaps based off of a persons stealth and detection skills.
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2022, 11:48:45 AM »
Lots of different tracking systems already exist out there in the wilds of NWN so it is definitely possible.  Most things are possible, to be honest, it just comes down to whether or not it would be deemed to drain server resources or not.

myrddraal

• Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2022, 09:53:16 PM »
While a fun idea, the only way I see it not being a huge drain on server resources (every PC and NPC all leaving tracks -all the time-) would be through a DM running the tracking.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2022, 10:02:25 PM »
While a fun idea, the only way I see it not being a huge drain on server resources (every PC and NPC all leaving tracks -all the time-) would be through a DM running the tracking.

Maybe if a player target another player with the "tracking function" the targetted player start leaving tracks for a set amount of time.

myrddraal

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2022, 10:07:17 PM »

Maybe if a player target another player with the "tracking function" the targetted player start leaving tracks for a set amount of time.

Right but then you run into the problem of metagaming.  A corpse isnt leaving footprints and if you dont know who the killer is (in character) or (probably in most cases) for sure even where they died its going to be hard to know what tracks to follow.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2022, 10:00:17 AM »
This is something the dev team investigated in the past, cool as it would be we cannot make it work without significant impacts to server performances.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.