Author Topic: Replace the corpsehiding mechanic  (Read 3280 times)

Madame Trousers Son

• Gendarmerie
  • Dark Power
Re: Replace the corpsehiding mechanic
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2022, 07:23:39 AM »
How likely it is to happen depends on your approach to PvP. If you jump in and actively involve yourself in high action PvP then it's more likely to happen.

Corpsehiding can't just happen on a whim. It has to happen for strictly IC reasons, as part of the PvP process and following a reasonable escalation. When the process isn't followed, or where someone leaps to corpsehiding someone for trivial conflict, the DMs should step in if you contact them.

Corpsehiding is relatively rare and most people will never be corpsehidden. Generally speaking, Edgelordus Mortus The Third is more likely to get corpsehidden than his potential victims.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 07:25:42 AM by Madame Trousers Son »
"The Machinery of Justice will not serve you here – it is slow and cold, and it is theirs."

- Richard K. Morgan, Altered Carbon

MatticusCaesar

• Dark Power
  • Beware the Hinvasion!
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2022, 07:47:32 AM »
Bit of a sidetrack, sorry. But I had never heard of corpse hiding before this or hadn't seen it in any other server. And reading it, I'm having some questions that might help any other newbies reading, too.

- How often does this happen? How likely it is going to happen if I just play normally?

- How is this moderated? Is it possible that PvP-optimized character Edgelordus Mortus The Third will just jump up in and practically perma-kill me just because someone had a slow day at work? Is it going to happen now just because I made this post?

- How likely is it that playing on this server, this is going to happen eventually? Because it sounds incredibly tedious and anti-RP just from the descriptions here.

I would love to hear this since it would make it easier to figure out how much I actually want to mentally invest here in long-term stuff.

Fresh eyes with a fresh perspective!  Thank you for asking these high-level questions, as sometimes it's real easy for us longer-timers to forget to look at the forest through the trees.

It's not a super-common thing, but if you intend to engage in antagonistic role play with other PCs, (A)MPCs, Factions, and on occasion with certain NPCs, it is a possible outcome.

Players should generally be exercising restraint with this, but ultimately it is the DM team that will deal with any foul-play here, both literally and figuratively.  Corpse hiding should never happen as a result of OOC discussions, opinions, metagaming, etc.  One of the server rules is to NOT engage in IC PvP with someone with whom you are having OOC problems.  Murders, assassinations, and corpse-hiding ultimately all require IC RP build up with opt-outs given.  If you persist in your antagonizing IC behavior, though...

If you think you have been wronged as a result of an improper PvP action, get screenshots of any dialog/actions and report it to a DM ASAP.  If you can't get a hold of a DM, a Community Counselor (CC) can pass it along to the DM team as well.

How likely it is depends on the kinds of role play you intend to engage in.  If your play style is generally just to do some dungeoning and basic RP, then the likelyhood you will ever be corpse-hidden is very low.

The more involved you get with factions-at-odds, (A)MPC hunting, or generally antagonistic role play (including behaving in a manner where some local law enforcement puts a bounty out on you), the higher the risk you run of your character being slain and "corpsenapped." 

You should NEVER just be randomly killed and corpse-hidden without an IC justification, though.  Because there is a shared narrative in progress and there may be degrees of separation between characters, sometimes there might appear to be a disconnect between your actions and the consequences: 
--Maybe the aggrieved party waits a couple of months in the hopes you let your guard down. 
--Maybe the IC complaint doesn't appear directly - such as if you engage in IC slander/libel and word gets back to the aggrieved party indirectly
--Maybe you choose to not answer the summons of the law
There are a thousand reasons this could happen, but there should always be an opportunity offered to deescalate the situation on PotM.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 08:16:26 AM by MatticusCaesar »
Currently Playing:
Conner o'Clan Cunningham, Cando Weaselbite

On the sidelines but ready for action:
Tychon Corynian, Bjarna Blitzthorn, Remo Fenberry, Yerrith Greenstone, Gryllus Athens, Pristi Feld

Phayviel

• New to the Mists
« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2022, 08:09:39 AM »
Oh, wow, thank you! Those are some extremely detailed answers and pretty much answer all my questions and then some. I think this thread made it all sound more worrying than it really is. And I'm glad I read this thread because it all gives a sense of how things work in here as opposed to some other long-time NWN worlds!

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2022, 08:18:02 AM »
To pile onto what Matticus has said, in my 2+ years I've been playing in this server, dealing with MPCs and taking part in a few high stake plots, I have PvP'd with fellow players only twice, and I have never corpshidden nor I have corpshidden anyone. I have taken part in a few "corpse hunts" of people that had a very different play style than mine, and the more I had the more fool's errands they looked like to me. The very last one, the one that spurred this thread, I have gone purely tlfor RP purposes and the pleasure of being with those that were with me, both IC and OOC than for any hopes nor expectations to find anything.

I would add that the existence of this thread is a proof that this event is as rare as it is feared, so don't fret  :D

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured

MatticusCaesar

• Dark Power
  • Beware the Hinvasion!
« Reply #104 on: December 01, 2022, 08:21:13 AM »
Yeah, corpse hiding, and antagonistic PvP combat in general, probably account for less than 0.001% of the overall activity that goes on in PotM day-to-day.

Characters argue in game and have their spats, but most resolve it and move on from it pretty quickly.

The reason it might look worse than it is is because when it -does- happen, it's usually pretty big, loud IC news that spreads like wildfire, especially if a well-known or well-liked character is the victim.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 08:25:57 AM by MatticusCaesar »
Currently Playing:
Conner o'Clan Cunningham, Cando Weaselbite

On the sidelines but ready for action:
Tychon Corynian, Bjarna Blitzthorn, Remo Fenberry, Yerrith Greenstone, Gryllus Athens, Pristi Feld

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #105 on: December 01, 2022, 08:24:00 AM »
To add to what MatticusCaesar said, the key concept about PvP here is the notion of opting-in.

In a nutshell PvP occurs between willing participants. It is/shoud be the result of multiple RP encounters escalating into conflict as part of the story narrative, or at the very least the inescapable conclusion to an action so daring that you just can't escape the consequences. For instance, if you steal from the Count, there would be a bounty on your head and it would be fair game to hunt you down.

PvP leading to corpsehiding is a very rare event to be honest. It will only happen to you if you willingly opt-in into a conflict.

The full rules about PvP are here.

Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.