Author Topic: Magic in Barovia?  (Read 5306 times)

Barovian Female Peasant 2.0

• Undead Slayer
  • Don't trust the Old Noapte.
Re: Magic in Barovia?
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2022, 08:13:53 AM »
Magic imbued on you, and magic upon an item are different things. Barovians are afraid of magic cast due to calibans, and nothing good comes from magic casters, most of the time.

...but Barovians do not believe, the majority will not believe, a magical sword or a shirt will turn you into a caliban. Novels speak of Burgomasters seeking magical items for the Count, there are legends of magical trophies, there's Quinn Roche's Vault everyone and their mothers were talking about at some point because it is rumoured to house 1000 magical sets of armor. Not just server canon, but gazetteer canon, so actual canon. Some Vistani make a living out of selling magical trinkets to the population, (even though they are most of the time of course, fake.)

There's a difference between someone loudly chanting magic and throwing beams of light and fireballs around versus an item that is inherently magical.

I will react to the first, as a peasant player. Seeing merchants selling magical wares? ...Why would that bother my character? Unless it looks extremely evil.

Maiyannah

• First Watcher
  • Dark Power
  • Courage is the soul of life.
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2022, 11:15:20 AM »
I will react to the first, as a peasant player. Seeing merchants selling magical wares? ...Why would that bother my character? Unless it looks extremely evil.

Well, there was the fact that the same woman buying wizard robes was, half the day, being accompanied by a literal demon.

As I was saying to a couple people in this thread in side discussions elsewhere, I do not expect that players new to the game are going to be entirely observant of the setting.
I do hold people who are in an organization like the Garda - whom can and often do set the tone of that area - to lead by example though.

I think in the future if this happens, I'll probably just page a DM.  One daydreaming garda might miss the arcane mage who is going on about wizards robes and dragging an imp about, that six would strains credulity, and there becomes a point where it is egregious to the point of being indefensible.  (Indeed, some on the scene were making some snippy and snide comments like "he didn't even move" "perhaps he is contemplating life.." etc)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 11:19:00 AM by Arthiel »
Currently:
Livu Olmstead - First Watcher of Helm
Emmanuelle de le Foret - Ezrite escapee from Hazlan

Also:
Sarabeth d'Gagne - Ghastrian artist
Sabina Ennaies - Barovian road warden

Myrza

• Dark Lord
  • Under the Crimson Sun...
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2022, 11:26:05 AM »

Well, there was the fact that the same woman buying wizard robes was, half the day, being accompanied by a literal demon.

As I was saying to a couple people in this thread in side discussions elsewhere, I do not expect that players new to the game are going to be entirely observant of the setting.
I do hold people who are in an organization like the Garda - whom can and often do set the tone of that area - to lead by example though.

I think in the future if this happens, I'll probably just page a DM.  One daydreaming garda might miss the arcane mage who is going on about wizards robes and dragging an imp about, that six would strains credulity, and there becomes a point where it is egregious to the point of being indefensible.  (Indeed, some on the scene were making some snippy and snide comments like "he didn't even move" "perhaps he is contemplating life.." etc)

Well, I usually act when I see stuff like that. At that time I might have been AFK. I understand that one such occasion is immersion breaking but it's not the norm when there is a guard player around.

Barovian Female Peasant 2.0

• Undead Slayer
  • Don't trust the Old Noapte.
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2022, 11:31:03 AM »

Cannot react to what we haven't seen. Garda cannot react to something they haven't seen, or been reported to about. I understand your point, however, a garda player having to quickly go somewhere IRL, doesn't make them a bad garda. At this point it is on the characters who were making snippy comments rather than the garda himself.

I've watched garda kill familiars, of animalkind. Cats even. An imp is not going to go unnoticed. Garda are also human though. I really understand your frustration, as I avoid the outskirts myself most of the time for the same reasons (disruptive characters) but this feels a bit unfair.

Maiyannah

• First Watcher
  • Dark Power
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2022, 12:02:48 PM »
Cannot react to what we haven't seen. Garda cannot react to something they haven't seen, or been reported to about. I understand your point, however, a garda player having to quickly go somewhere IRL, doesn't make them a bad garda. At this point it is on the characters who were making snippy comments rather than the garda himself.

I've watched garda kill familiars, of animalkind. Cats even. An imp is not going to go unnoticed. Garda are also human though. I really understand your frustration, as I avoid the outskirts myself most of the time for the same reasons (disruptive characters) but this feels a bit unfair.

So have I seen this.  I guess that's what's frustrating to me: the inconsistency.  To some degree, this is to be expected, for the reasons that Grendel pointed out, but only to a point.  I would, for instance, expect a character throwing out magic-wielding mages one day to do the same again, unless there's some other extenuating circumstance in the roleplay.

I should however clarify two things:

1] This is not the first incident.
2] Arthiel's attempt to report something IC the first time it happened mostly got brushed off, so IC, she's unlikely to care all that much about trying again.

I am trying very hard not to name names here, as that makes it turn into a sort of witchhunt, or otherwise turns it into personal conflicts, which is unproductive.  But suffice it to say I have noticed there's those that are trying.
Currently:

Also:

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2022, 12:08:15 PM »
if the thing is so egregiously disrupting i tend to ignore it to preserve my own immersion.

there has been a time where people conjured elementals and ghost armors, or druids made -ahem- stuff while in animal form. all of that was at night, so away from the prying eyes of the law abiding barovians, but its stupid either way.

My own way of dealing with it was to walk away fast. One could add on top of that by reporting, but as far as interrupting what is happening, I do not feel anything can be done if a DM is not present.

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2022, 05:36:43 PM »
Some players really strive to maintain character and setting authenticity in the PoTM realm environment (something I appreciate when I see it happen).  Others are.... how shall I put this... I guess the quote from Bull Durham works best "Their world is made for people who aren't cursed with self awareness".

It happens in the real world; it happens here in PoTM.  Whatcha gonna do?  Grit your teeth politely and just hope they take their circus somewhere else and cease interrupting your day.

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

RedMoney

• Gendarmerie
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2022, 06:21:13 PM »
There are people in the real world that are generally irresponsible, ridiculous, goofy et cetra. The people that shoot bottle rockets at each other or have a test of masculinity by peeing on a electric fence the longest for fun exist.  If you don't like that the DM team isn't kicking them out for not playing the game the way you think it should be played, then tough.

Everyone gets the same opportunities to play here, people get warned/disciplined if their behavior is actually disruptive. If you see behavior that is concerning, screenshot it and report it to the DM team and they will deal with it. Making threads like this doesn't solve anything, it just makes you look elitist and unwilling to be patient with people that are either learning the game or don't RP the way you do. You will not ever be told someone is being warned or banned, either, it's not anyone else's business. 

You don't get to choose what sort of nonsense you have to deal with from people in real life and that doesn't change in a multiplayer game with random people from around the planet.

Engaging with people in nonsense can also be fun and occasionally breaking the gloom and doom atmosphere helps contribute to the reality of how bad it really is.  There needs to be happiness and levity so that things can happen to remind the prisoners of the futility of such things. 

As someone who plays a high level caster that went from fearing getting caught for casting to openly warding so that people know she's ready for violence, I can attest that not everyone is doing what they are doing strictly from an ooc standpoint either.  There are IC reasons, mostly intimidation and past trauma, that drive my character into using magic openly.  This is likely true of others whose background involves conflict and bad blood.  Keep that in mind when you see people casting as well.  You can never really know what's actually going on behind the screen, it's best if you engage with it ICly. Someone casting a bunch of spells in the outskirts, use it as an opportunity to engage with them.

Just a few ideas:
"That's a lot of magic is there danger?"
"Wow you know lots of spells are you a veteran adventurer?"
"Stop casting random spells like an idiot do you want the Garda giving us problems?"
"Keep your foul vraja to yourself dirty witch!"

TLDR - You miss out on opportunities to roleplay by being overly judgy rather than engaging. Lower your expectations of others and focus on yourself.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 01:51:35 AM by RedMoney »

Abear

• Dark Lord
  • You are not a human being.
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2022, 08:23:43 PM »
Being the player of the garda from that interaction, I can explain Blair's reasoning:

Magic isn't illegal in Barovia, and he has no reason to stick his nose into innocuous mage business -- If he tried to kill everyone he suspected of being a mage, he would be guilty of slaughtering like 80% of the playerbase (or more likely have been zapped to death by the first levelled wizard I engaged.)

Blair isn't dumb, he knows that the outlander population is full of witches, wizards and warlocks, and knows that outlanders spend their free time dousing each other in loads and loads of magic to delve into dangerous, monster infested crypts. For fun.

At the end of the day, he is a person with a family and he wants to go home when his shift is over. His main objective is to keep this craziness away from the Vallaki populace. A passing mention of wizardry is one of the lowest of the low offenses from even just the last few days.
Current: Sásha Kostoviç
Occasionally: Blair Florescu

Maiyannah

• First Watcher
  • Dark Power
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2022, 11:44:47 AM »
Everyone gets the same opportunities to play here, people get warned/disciplined if their behavior is actually disruptive. If you see behavior that is concerning, screenshot it and report it to the DM team and they will deal with it. Making threads like this doesn't solve anything, it just makes you look elitist and unwilling to be patient with people that are either learning the game or don't RP the way you do.

I find these kinds of statements akin to a personal attack, and however truthful you may believe them to be, that is unhelpful to discussion at the best.  Please don't.

My answer is usually to just walk away. You have a choice to engage with, or not engage with, any kind of RP that seems like it's not your thing.

It's one thing to be patient and give people a chance, that's perfectly fine. You can try to teach them through positive reinforcement, or just ignore their character's strange behaviour and see if they do it again. Negative reinforcement on the other hand, as you've noticed, doesn't work out; spending your time actively trying to fight against people who don't care about the setting is going to burn you out.

That's the thing with hubs like the outskirts, you've got so many people there for so many hours on end, and sometimes the only excitement that happens all day is an outcast racing Radu, or someone leaving a door open. Eventually you are going to see someone slip up or act out, and the guards can only do so much, whether there's 2 of them or 8 of them, they can't do it all on their own. At the end of the day they are here to RP, not enforce the setting from an OOC standpoint.

You can try your hardest but sooner or later you will come to realise your energy is better spent rewarding the kind of RP you do want to see. Spend time around people who respect the setting - they're not being tangibly rewarded otherwise.
[...]

But from the player's side of things, I think our best tools are patience, the power of walking away, and reporting excessively bad behaviour. It is a rule here not to adversely affect the enjoyment of others, and it is not your responsibility to try and use tells to let people know they're out of line. If your character can't convince them via completely IC means, it is time to retire from that RP, take some screenshots or a video recording if need be and let the DMs have a chat with them instead.

I have to concede that this is probably the best approach.  However, this is largely from an OOC angle, ie "well I dont want to burn out telling people they're harming people's roleplay every night and dealing with resultant ooc conflicts that are inevitable."  While this is likely a "me" problem, it would be rather uncharacteristic for Arthiel to ignore these things.  I might have to consider having her get a bit jaded about these things, because it's about the only way to reconcile it in a way that is going to keep her fun. 

Call me elitist or selfish if you like, but at the end of the day if this isn't fun for people then this isn't worth engaging with - and my frustration comes from several interactions here being very excellent roleplay that I enjoyed (like that albeit brief interaction with you last night, Blair) - you get these indepth, well-emoted little interactions, even the slice of life stuff, and its great roleplay - them something like that drags it down.

Ignoring it is probably for the best.  Is there a way to ignore particularly disruptive players at the player level?

As some may have surmised, I prefer to avoid bothering the DMs about this.  For one, in the event that they do consider this disruptive, there's enough of it that goes on in some places, as others have mentioned, that it would be time-consuming to police.  I would prefer in-character options, but there's only so much we can do at the same time, if they're just dedicated to sms-speak and dragging around demons with them, etc,etc.

Being the player of the garda from that interaction, I can explain Blair's reasoning:

I should say, the intent of that post wasn't to call any specific person out, or try to name and shame, myself.  Indeed, I was trying to avoid names so I wasn't singling them out. To be honest, I assumed you were OOCly AFK.  It happens, as much as it resulted in a scene that frustrated me.

The problem I more had is kind of an "ignoring the NPCs" sort of thing: I have to figure in that situation, for instance, at least one of the garda NPCs that you or the other officer had with them would be exchanging furitive glances about someone being open with magic.  In this sort of vein, I'm of the opinion that RPing out some emotes can absolve most sins.  I mean, you do you, I'm not going to tell you how to RP your character, but that'd be my mind on it.

The same person involve had brought a demon (assassin imp) into the church and was basically flaunting it.  Several players called them out on it, IC.  FWIW.
Currently:

Also:

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2022, 08:40:42 PM »
It's definitely an OOC shielding mechanism. I try to play dumb about this stuff because it doesn't do anything for me to interact with that kind of thing. I used to, because I had a character who was in a faction that needed to keep the peace and quiet in the temple. I would take the opportunity to RP with anyone who was around, even the "trollier" sorts, because it let me determine who was just a confused new player and who was just there to glow in the dark.

You could have your character respond to it, if you're just careful about not getting burned out on having to go over the same thing so much. I treat all my journeys away from the outskirts as detox and the outskirts itself as a patience test. :mrgreen:

But you'll notice while this may have pros and help you stay IC, by trying to get other people to react to the unusual sights - it also has cons. Like if you call out something particularly weird and nobody even reacts, those are the moments you should really just roll your eyes and move on, for your own good.

Obviously I talk from a place of privilege knowing where even my level 2-4 characters can go alone to avoid the circus when I'm not up for that. It's why I think, even if dungeoning is sometimes looked down upon, if you can get a good group together, you can keep the theme and not be in the outskirts. For me that's 3 points toward good RP.

I don't think you're elitist, you just have the perspective of someone who hasn't had the time to become numb to it yet, nothing wrong with that, and nothing particularly right about me being numb to / wanting to avoid hubs. It's just my playstyle.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Skelni

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
  • You can always contact me
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2022, 08:58:42 PM »
Through the progression of this thread, I'm starting to get confused about what exactly is the ruling on magic and such within Barovia. I know at any point a Garda PC could simply ignore magic being casted in front of them and whatnot. But I'm getting conflicting answers about just how far the "law" extends to magic, the locals perception on it, etc.

I know EO posted this reference relating to this but, I don't think everyone has upheld it all the time. Whether that's "just because" or if it's actually because people don't know any better, I can't say.

There's a difference between what should be and what is unfortunately. Here's the detailed canon writeup from the Gazetteer:

Though Barovians believe in magic, the vast majority of them have never seen it in practice, at least outside of the local cleric. Most folk regard magic as a secret as old as time and riddled with spiritual risks too terrible to contemplate.

Arcane magic is practiced only in secret in Barovia, as the common folk believe that all such power is a gift granted by demons -

I mean. Is it illegal? Or just frowned upon? Or... Something else? Because now I'm even unsure about it. Vallaki was some sort of hub of magic at some point? No longer? Can we get more proper clarification on this?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 09:06:45 PM by Skelni »
Active: Vorrala Dalael

Shelved: Dirge Driftwood - Jezebel Redcherry - Silf Argyros - Ledewif Oberholtz

Closured: Razik Slepnel - Azaulia Curantus - Gavril Dragnea

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2022, 09:17:15 PM »
This is just my experience and what guards have told me in the past, but I think while magic itself is not banned, Barovian peasants themselves fear it so much that encountering it means the offending party will likely be seen as guilty of "disturbing the peace." The source book says it's them who enforce their own justice, while the guards in their villages simply look on. When they suspect one of their own is a witch, they get a pitchfork mob going with torches and they handle it themselves.

I could be wrong, that's just what I remember.

See, that's the trick with the outskirts. There's no peasants around. You could argue that guards are essentially in the same social class, and of course they're all native Barovians subject to the same superstition. Many people may perceive that there is no "peace" to be "disturbing" by glowing blue. And when you run into the temple with your dire bear, or turned into an umber hulk, the NPCs don't react, so a new player could take that to mean it's okay. It's pretty understandable that there are mixed signals. That's one reason I support further updates to make this clearer.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Grendlykins, Simp of Azalin Rex

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2022, 09:24:46 PM »
Through the progression of this thread, I'm starting to get confused about what exactly is the ruling on magic and such within Barovia. I know at any point a Garda PC could simply ignore magic being casted in front of them and whatnot. But I'm getting conflicting answers about just how far the "law" extends to magic, the locals perception on it, etc.

I mean. Is it illegal? Or just frowned upon? Or... Something else? Because now I'm even unsure about it. Vallaki was some sort of hub of magic at some point? No longer? Can we get more proper clarification on this?

Barovia does not function on strict, codified laws and legal systems, except in circumstances such as declarations by the Count, the Burgomeisters, or in extremely limited circumstances usually relating to the upper class of Barovia. It is a mistake to think of Barovia like a modern day society, where it has a structured and comprehensible legal system. In reality, it is just as backwards and unfair as the land it governs. While it is helpful to have a series of codified laws and guidelines, so that you have less incidents of people doing 'bad things', it is by no means the full extent of the system. The Garda are usually allowed to operate at their discretion and mete out punishments for even trivial actions; especially if they go against the societal and cultural tenets of Barovians.

This is most clearly exemplified by the example of Barovian-Gundarakite relations. Gundarakites are subject to heinous restrictions, constant oppression and if known to the Garda, are likely to be harassed or punished for non-crimes. Simply put; do not expect there to be any fairness in what the Garda choose to prosecute. Some Garda take the view that outlanders are horrifyingly dangerous and simply avoid friction. Others hate them to the core and will take any opportunity to make their lives worse. Yet more might choose to take a measured approach, believing in upholding the spirit and letter of what laws do exist. In addition, foreigners are not subject to the same protections as Barovians; one example is that only native-born Barovians have the right to a trial.

Source: I once attempted making a lawyer character to operate in Barovia and a DM told me all of the above as a way to explain that said character could not function.

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2022, 09:33:54 PM »
Another thing to consider is that Barovia and all of Ravenloft's settings were designed with the intention of small groups of players sitting around the table exploring the setting once or twice or ten times.

It was never intended to be made into a persistent world with hundreds of players and therefor a ridiculous influx of outlander type characters. Some of the source material and canon simply cannot be enforced with such a large player base. And so as players we should do everything we can to make the setting feel more real given what we know of it. But at the end of the day I think some liberties must be taken in order to accomodate the populice.

Famous Seamus

• Dark Lord
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2022, 10:43:10 PM »
Through the progression of this thread, I'm starting to get confused about what exactly is the ruling on magic and such within Barovia. [SNIP]

"Black magic" is illegal within Wachter territory (i.e., not Vallaki) and has been for the past eight or so IRL years: https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=37870.msg483740#msg483740. This was called to my attention not long ago.

What's "black magic"? Based on the others' posts above, this was probably left intentionally vague.

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2022, 10:46:38 PM »
Vallaki and barovia has a pretty decent, canonical, selection of secret magic users. Barovian peasants and those who do not use magic are going to see it as devillery and react hostilly towards the user. It's like those movies where the township learns of a witch and panics. As opposed to tepest where it basically is illegal, tepest is the witch hunts. Hopefully that makes sense
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

bloodless

• The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • ?
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2022, 10:54:54 PM »
The actual laws of Vallaki as observed in game. https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=49653

Nothing that specifically singles out magic, though there used to be a bylaw about removing magical light greater than 5m spread. I don't know if that was changed or if it is only listed in the garda subforums.

Death

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2022, 07:43:19 AM »
So, first things first. You are right about the Barovians being very xenophobic and superstitious. It's the simplest answer without delving into too deep lore and it's likely one of the first things an outlander to the setting would learn if someone told them or if they were paying attention.

The answer to your second question is a bit more complicated. I've been playing on this server for 3 years now and I've seen too many instances of what you're describing.
Personally, I just ignore it if I do not have a particular IC reason to address it. There are a lot of new people that come and go from the server and do not have a thorough understanding of the setting or game itself. The outskirts is the very first area they enter when they land on the server from the new character room, and it's the 'low level hub' so to speak. The NPCs are there, but they're rather ineffectual if a player is very determined to play a particular way they want to.

From an IC perspective, the garda on this server have been witness to many things that occur within the outskirts of Vallaki, and the characters that inhabit them. This would likely make them wary and tread lightly about potentially upsetting any powerful characters with the means to assassinate them for a perceived slight and make certain they cannot see the light of day again. They are doing the best they can within the means and avenues of RP and OOC consideration for themselves and others that are afforded to them. Abear made a good point when he spoke of his IC reasoning, of not immediately going onto hunt when something involving the use of magic outside the city was told to his PC.

My answer to the expected response is that the response starts with you.
If you're playing a good aligned cleric or a paladin, and you see a imp being pulled around, if you have the IC reason to do it, you should take the initiative and tell the player to stow away their demon, and reinforce the setting. If your PC feels like the Garda has ignored them about the matter, maybe let it fuel their reasoning for why they would feel the desire to take an active stand against it. Maybe they want to guide and protect. Maybe it's just plain annoying and they want it to stop.

It's a good opportunity to lead by example and teach newer players that are willing to RP and learn about the setting, or learn to better conduct themselves on the server. I would personally do the same if I was playing a druid or good aligned cleric or paladin character, and saw animals being dragged through the outskirts or demons. We can't expect others or NPCs to do the reinforcement for us, if we have the opportunity to do it ourselves. Being proactive like this can also enhance the rp and experience for others. If the player simply doesn't want to bother with the RP, then there is little you can do, and the best course of action is to simply ignore them.

Playing active Native PCs is also a very good way to reinforce the setting, especially if you are a class or concept that is not immediately hostile towards such displays. It gives you the IC opportunity to correct and enforce.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 07:51:08 AM by Death »

hn3SoNaReS

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2022, 05:58:50 AM »
IMO the most immersive way to 'enforce' that atmosphere is to have active 'witchhunters' PCs, but since magic is 'essential' for adventuring in POTM it's a little hard on the incentive department, so...

Maybe create some kind of witchhunter class that is prohibited to use any kind of magic but gets juicy bonuses for keeping mundane? (SR, ab/dmg or some specific anti-mage things like spell failure infliction or something). This might incentivize more characters to fill that concept and make casters a little more careful of showing their talent.

Magic might be essential for dungeoning, but that doesn't mean people should walk around illuminated like a dance floor downtown on a Saturday night everywhere else. Most characters could quite easily hide 90% of their spellcasting and fondness for magic, but I think there is a lack of willingness to do it.

Maiyannah

• First Watcher
  • Dark Power
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2022, 09:23:03 AM »
Magic might be essential for dungeoning, but that doesn't mean people should walk around illuminated like a dance floor downtown on a Saturday night everywhere else. Most characters could quite easily hide 90% of their spellcasting and fondness for magic, but I think there is a lack of willingness to do it.

It is not hard to keep this stuff out of sight, honestly.  People choose not to because there is rarely consequence for it.  OCR will fix it for the most egregious cases, but not a day passes without me seeing or hearing someone casting around Vallaki.
Currently:

Also:

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2022, 10:28:40 AM »

It is not hard to keep this stuff out of sight, honestly.  People choose not to because there is rarely consequence for it.  OCR will fix it for the most egregious cases, but not a day passes without me seeing or hearing someone casting around Vallaki.

I've been playing Narcissa for a few months now and have been trying to avoid letting her magic become known (too well) in Vallaki. You can buff yourself in an inn room, or go outside to a place that isn't populated to do magic. It's actually pretty easy if you put a little effort and thought into it, you could take metamagic feats for silent spell, or still spell, there are lots of rp choices to keep it hidden, however... If you're playing to dungeon like a MMO then it may become a foolish thing to do as a waste of a feat in favour of a more powerful build.  But I do think the issue may rest in the fact that right now there doesn't seem to be as many active garda as in the past (course my pain has massively diminished my play lately so I could be mistaken) to enforce such things. I remember in the past the garda would confiscate overtly magical items, had a few powerful items confiscated from Erzsebet when she was around in the past I think.

Maybe we need to do a sort of native character NCE and a slew of us create native Barovian characters to join the garda, create the xenophobia that the outlanders should experience, and just over all give a boost to the setting?
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2022, 10:40:47 AM »

I've been playing Narcissa for a few months now and have been trying to avoid letting her magic become known (too well) in Vallaki. You can buff yourself in an inn room, or go outside to a place that isn't populated to do magic. It's actually pretty easy if you put a little effort and thought into it, you could take metamagic feats for silent spell, or still spell, there are lots of rp choices to keep it hidden, however... If you're playing to dungeon like a MMO then it may become a foolish thing to do as a waste of a feat in favour of a more powerful build.  But I do think the issue may rest in the fact that right now there doesn't seem to be as many active garda as in the past (course my pain has massively diminished my play lately so I could be mistaken) to enforce such things. I remember in the past the garda would confiscate overtly magical items, had a few powerful items confiscated from Erzsebet when she was around in the past I think.

Maybe we need to do a sort of native character NCE and a slew of us create native Barovian characters to join the garda, create the xenophobia that the outlanders should experience, and just over all give a boost to the setting?

Narcissa knows magic?!?!?!

Maiyannah

• First Watcher
  • Dark Power
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2022, 07:29:41 PM »

I think its not even garda-specific.  The outlander PCs outnumber the native PCs by a degree of magnitude, and that disparity skews the setting and it makes it difficult for the natives TO enforce the setting.  A garda may be a garda but they don't have a death wish, they're generally not going to take on a party of 8 casting around outskirts, for instance, at least not without help.  I do agree a "native character" NCE would be a good idea towards this end.
Currently:

Also:

Abear

• Dark Lord
  • You are not a human being.
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2022, 08:55:40 PM »

Magic is not illegal in Vallaki. It IS illegal in some parts of Barovia. The general feeling of the garda towards magic is that it is weird and scary and freaks out the locals. Freaking out the locals IS illegal in Vallaki. (Disturbing the peace)
Current: Sásha Kostoviç
Occasionally: Blair Florescu