You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Suggestion: Combat Casting feat should lower exhaustion cost of spellcasting  (Read 532 times)

Vantes-

• Undead Master
The feat:
Specifics: The character is adept at casting spells in combat, and does not suffer the standard -4 penalty to concentration checks when casting defensively within four meters of an enemy.

The suggested change:
Specifics: The character is adept at casting spells in combat, and does not suffer the standard -4 penalty to concentration checks when casting defensively within four meters of an enemy. In addition, the exhaustion cost of casting in combat is lowered by 1.

I've heard from other players that classes that primarily cast in combat, particularly warlocks, get exhausted fairly quickly. Adding this would make this feat a more attractive pick in regards to the exhaustion system.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 11:35:07 AM by Vantes- »
Active: Vahn Stanek
Others: Aelas Telenseer, Fenn Yrren
Closured: Adan Elandi

bloodless

• The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • ?
Makes sense to me. A little added benefit to taking the feat.

Swan

• Undead Slayer
  • 𝑱𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒂𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒓.
+1, very reasonable suggestion.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
The server promotes partying.
The spellcasting generating exhaustion tends to happen mostly when casting lots of spells one after another.
The caster usually cast many spells one after another usually while partying (aka buffing the party).

Ergo, I believe it is fair and good to the system help the party warder to ward the party.
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

Erikat

• the last grimalkin
  • Undead Master
  • The whole of virtue consists in its practice.
Small boost to a largely underutilized feat, that supports newer mage classes within a reasonable scope. All for it. This wouldn't affect warders nearly at all, just combat mages.
Actives: Alexia Cel-Tradat

apeppertoo

• Dark Lord
I would like it if it also applied to sitting in Counterspell mode.
Mariah Parsons

Zyemeth

• Undead Master
Anything to reduce the exhaustion suffering and expand feats into being useful is a yes from me.

KovosDatch

• The Underworld
  • Dark Lord
  • Stinkcoin mint
+1 Yes plz

EarlofEtheria

• Undead Master
Given that Skill Focus: Concentration is better generally, applied whenever Concentration is checked instead of just beating the Defensive Casting DC... sure.

Madame Trousers Son

• Gendarmerie
  • Dark Power
Nice suggestion to make the feat relevant.
"The Machinery of Justice will not serve you here – it is slow and cold, and it is theirs."

- Richard K. Morgan, Altered Carbon

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
The server promotes partying.
The spellcasting generating exhaustion tends to happen mostly when casting lots of spells one after another.
The caster usually cast many spells one after another usually while partying (aka buffing the party).

Ergo, I believe it is fair and good to the system help the party warder to ward the party.

I've never seen anyone become exhausted from buffing the party

Not a fan of catch all feats. If you want to get exhausted less, boost your constitution score.

Maffa

• Dark Power
Maybe it's about eldritch chains

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured

Maragrouf

• The Underworld
  • Undead Slayer
I don't see this being really useful to "Buff Dispenser" kind of casters, as you usually buff the whole party before any fight and if you have to refresh some buffs, it's nowhere near enough to exhaust you. Now, for all the "Blast it until it's dead" casters such as Sorcerer, Warmage or Warlock, it would definitely be a welcome addition, especially considering the later infinite spells. Though to be fair, having played a Warlock up to level 7 before taking a break : 14 Con and Endurance is already quite enough to go through many fights before even reaching exhaustion.

Hell, the few times I did get exhausted were when I was going from the Mist Camp back to Vallaki and found myself blasting stuff for longer than expected (Dire Wolf and Worgs are nasty...). In all dungeoning instances, I'd never reach exhaustion before the party needed to rest to refresh buffs.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
I don't see this being really useful to "Buff Dispenser" kind of casters, as you usually buff the whole party before any fight and if you have to refresh some buffs, it's nowhere near enough to exhaust you. Now, for all the "Blast it until it's dead" casters such as Sorcerer, Warmage or Warlock, it would definitely be a welcome addition, especially considering the later infinite spells. Though to be fair, having played a Warlock up to level 7 before taking a break : 14 Con and Endurance is already quite enough to go through many fights before even reaching exhaustion.

Hell, the few times I did get exhausted were when I was going from the Mist Camp back to Vallaki and found myself blasting stuff for longer than expected (Dire Wolf and Worgs are nasty...). In all dungeoning instances, I'd never reach exhaustion before the party needed to rest to refresh buffs.

This is very true. Even in the case that some casters use one of those low duration, high impact spells during combat, Endurance is just better all around. The two would have synergy, but Endurance is clearly much stronger unless you are in a situation where you get 4+ ticks of spellcasting in combat. Then they can start to be compared, but Endurance still works for all actions and not just spellcasting.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Good idea; in the next update Combat Casting will "halve" the penalty for casting in combat, rounded up, so instead of +5, it'll be +3 (casting out of combat increases exhaustion by +1).

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
This is now implemented.