You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Moving "Puts something into *insert container*" to combat log?  (Read 845 times)

myrddraal

• Dark Lord
Moving "Puts something into *insert container*" to combat log?
« on: November 19, 2022, 06:47:02 PM »
Im not sure how hard it would be to do, or if its feasible at all, but it is completely obnoxious and disruptive to be trying to RP around the outskirts and then someone (or multiple people even) spam this message into the chat log and completely drowns out any semblance of what is being said or is happening.  Is there any reason it cant, or shouldn't, be moved to the combat log to be less disruptive?  Absolute WALLS like this happen ALOT.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 06:49:26 PM by myrddraal »

bloodless

• The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • ?
Re: Moving "Puts something into *insert container*" to combat log?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2022, 06:50:09 PM »
It has been said in the past that it would put too big of a drain on server resources/performance. I would love for it to happen, however.

yinyang

• Outlander
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2022, 08:53:41 PM »
It's a very anti-RP feature. I can't imagine it's normal in PWs to force players to completely obliterate the chat log and prevent RP from occurring, and there's absolutely no way to get away from it if you want to RP in the outskirts. It's incredibly disruptive and it's very unfun to be the merchant who is just trying to RP as a merchant and not bother people, but the client forces you to prevent other people from roleplaying.

Maybe a way to set "owners" of containers, so that the person taking things out and putting them in who owns it, isn't sending out chat messages? Or some kind of cutoff so that a person can only send so many of these messages within a time period?
✯ THE VALLAKI REVIEW ✯

Anamaria Cosovei - Reporter, truth-teller, story-seeker

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 01:22:27 AM »
It has been said in the past that it would put too big of a drain on server resources/performance. I would love for it to happen, however.

Can confirm, I went barking up this tree long ago as have many others. I hope this changes, and somehow it can be done, but there's no use holding our breath.

We also had a great idea, I think Arawn came up with this one, where it would combine all the messages and say something like, "places X items into the container." But that turned out to be a no go as well.

For now, just RP out of the chat range of merchants if the spam is too much for you.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 04:01:40 AM »
It's a very anti-RP feature. I can't imagine it's normal in PWs to force players to completely obliterate the chat log and prevent RP from occurring, and there's absolutely no way to get away from it if you want to RP in the outskirts. It's incredibly disruptive and it's very unfun to be the merchant who is just trying to RP as a merchant and not bother people, but the client forces you to prevent other people from roleplaying.

Maybe a way to set "owners" of containers, so that the person taking things out and putting them in who owns it, isn't sending out chat messages? Or some kind of cutoff so that a person can only send so many of these messages within a time period?

It's a feature that makes apparent item transfers, in the event of thievery. If you got rid of the messages, anyone could steal something without rolling sleight of hand, which is the roll that governs what shows out of those containers.

yinyang

• Outlander
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2022, 04:42:51 AM »

It's a feature that makes apparent item transfers, in the event of thievery. If you got rid of the messages, anyone could steal something without rolling sleight of hand, which is the roll that governs what shows out of those containers.

That's why I included alternative suggestions that address this:

✯ THE VALLAKI REVIEW ✯

Anamaria Cosovei - Reporter, truth-teller, story-seeker

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2022, 09:25:29 AM »
It's a minor inconvenience, IMO. I don't mind it overly much.

Zyemeth

• Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2022, 10:20:27 AM »
Maybe there is a way to reduce the hearing radius of who receives the message? Like how whispering has a set range?

Swan

• Undead Slayer
  • 𝑱𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒂𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒓.
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2022, 10:35:00 AM »
Maybe there is a way to reduce the hearing radius of who receives the message? Like how whispering has a set range?
If this is possible, I think this would be the perfect solution. This feature is INCREDIBLY annoying.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 10:52:50 AM by Swan »

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2022, 11:34:21 PM »
That's why I included alternative suggestions that address this:

Ah. Dummy thicc me. Yes, you're right. Although that would require it to go into the [Tell] Channel. I think people just need to be more creative with their roleplay locations, however; Sitting outside of Vallaki and then being aggravated at the morning, or evening when merchants pack up to go is a bit of a silly complaint. If nothing else, doing what those Merchants are doing would be a noisy process to begin with, unless they're a truly chad merchant and of the appropriate merchant class.

Which is Rogue/Crypt Raider. Everyone else is a poser exposed by their noisily chat-messaging.

InMyDarkestHours

• The Underworld
  • Undead Master
  • I reveal my heart, to this beauty dressed in dark
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2022, 01:32:54 AM »
You could have it print out one message every ten seconds instead to reduce chat log spam. That would still indicate someone doing something in the container.

strangerinthealps

• Undead Master
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2022, 08:43:36 AM »

That sounds like a great solution!

Lion El'Jonson

• Dark Lord
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2022, 09:20:44 AM »
I'd say a solution is to just make it optional. If you're a merchant worried about a thief, you can leave it on and still see the messages. If you're just standing at a fire nearby, you could toggle them off and not see them at all.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2022, 09:25:55 AM »
So there's a lot of suggestions but the vast majority aren't possible. We use the "talk" channel because it's by far the most efficient way; anything else would mean cycling through every creature within hearing range every time something is added or removed from a container or inventory, which would severely impact performance.

Zyemeth

• Undead Master
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2022, 09:29:26 AM »
So there's a lot of suggestions but the vast majority aren't possible. We use the "talk" channel because it's by far the most efficient way; anything else would mean cycling through every creature within hearing range every time something is added or removed from a container or inventory, which would severely impact performance.

Would setting the announcement of placing something down or taking it out be able to be set as a "whisper" then by chance? That shouldn't eat up resources any more than how it is currently unless I'm mistaken.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2022, 11:09:33 AM »
Even if that was possible (and I doubt it is), that could be exploited by thieves that would set the system to whisper to steal items from containers.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Siobhan

• Undead Master
  • Till human voices wake us, and we drown.
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2022, 11:32:52 AM »
What about adding a script to inventory boxes and magic bags that dumps and retrieves their contents into the merchant chest, similar to how crafting bags work?

An addition to the current system, to give people the option of not obliterating the chat log and interrupting everyone’s RP

Then, if someone is using it, you could have it show up in the combat log of “Scroundrel Steve used magic bag on Super Shop Wares”, “Merchant Mary used magic bag on Super Shop Wares” etc
Mariana Dragavei

Formerly: Eliza Sorry, Shrixenna Lueltar

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2022, 12:08:15 PM »
Or....

Two suggestions:  for NPC merchants (like Petre), just move him out of perception range of the Vistani campfire.  Any other NPC merchants in similar situations could simply be relocated a few meters away from the "RP areas".  For player to player transfers, most of these spammed movements of items are likely things like crafting reagents or similar things for which containers are available -- so let's take a cue from real world grocery stores and "bring your own bags".  It is courteous to players and good for the (virtual) environment.  If purchasers bring empty containers, the merchant players fill bags (or boxes) with whatever quantity of items they are transferring, and just transfer the bag, you won't get a lot of spam in the chat log.

It won't solve every instance of this issue, but it would solve quite a few.

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2022, 12:31:55 PM »
Or... a much needed culture change requiring no scripting.

PC Merchants to make the effort to go in town in the market place to sell their wares, or to the Drain to sell to outcasts.
Other PCs to hold non-mercantile discussions away from merchants, therefore avoiding this minor annoyance most of the time.

I get it that we'd prefer to avoid the spam, but it's really just lasting a few seconds when it occurs. Please understand as well that what you ask for is not so easily implemented or scripted (provided it could be done at all without performance issues). It takes time, it takes skills. To be frank, only a few of the devs have the skills to create such script and those that can already have a mountain of more important items to address from performance issues to bugs to new content. All with very limited time to do so.

Now, we certainly take note of the request, it is a most valid one and we will add it to the wishlist, but we have a lot to tackle before ever coming to that one.
Best Regards!
MAB

Zyemeth

• Undead Master
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2022, 12:58:51 PM »
Even if that was possible (and I doubt it is), that could be exploited by thieves that would set the system to whisper to steal items from containers.

I'm not sure how that statement makes sense. A whisper would send the the message the same as it does now but you need to be in like a 15 foot radius to receive it unlike the "talk" message. So the vendor, the thief, and anyone else in the immediately close proximity would still see a thief remove something from the box. The only difference is that the people who are like 30 feet away aren't getting message spammed in their RP.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2022, 01:03:52 PM »
Precisely. I for one much prefer being able to hear it at 30 feet than 15. The system also serves as warning in dungeons when a party is being the target of a ninja-looting thief. To me that makes its essential NOT to shift it to whisper. This of course being my preference, I'm not speaking for the dev team here.
Best Regards!
MAB

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2022, 05:04:38 PM »
Or... a much needed culture change requiring no scripting.

PC Merchants to make the effort to go in town in the market place to sell their wares, or to the Drain to sell to outcasts.
Other PCs to hold non-mercantile discussions away from merchants, therefore avoiding this minor annoyance most of the time.

I get it that we'd prefer to avoid the spam, but it's really just lasting a few seconds when it occurs. Please understand as well that what you ask for is not so easily implemented or scripted (provided it could be done at all without performance issues). It takes time, it takes skills. To be frank, only a few of the devs have the skills to create such script and those that can already have a mountain of more important items to address from performance issues to bugs to new content. All with very limited time to do so.

Now, we certainly take note of the request, it is a most valid one and we will add it to the wishlist, but we have a lot to tackle before ever coming to that one.

I could get behind this.  It's one of the reasons I've shifted to keeping a small store on my merchant as opposed to the massive one I used to have. Additionally, it's the same reason I will not use a chest to display my wares. The basement of the lady's rest is a good spot to do merchant things, day or night. Avoid the eyes of those annoying garda that way too.