You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Life with Verinne - Alisaie Goulet  (Read 1271 times)

Freydaelyn

• Mistress of Faces
  • Theatre de la Cathedrale
  • Dark Power
Life with Verinne - Alisaie Goulet
« on: November 06, 2022, 10:57:03 PM »
The young Dementluise woman returns to her small, cramped, single room in the tenements. Despite the meager home, the woman wears an expensive looking dress with bright blue and green dyes. In her hands bundled with care, young Verinne Goulet, her mother's pride and joy. A small well made doll sits wrapped in the baby's hands, a new gift from the good fortunes that have befallen her mother. With loving care Alisae places the young Verinne within her cradle, planting a small kiss to the child's forehead.

"Verinne my dear flower you are fortunate for the good luck mommy has had. Never would I have thought that losing my job at the dress shop would turn to be a boon." her voice dreamy as she speaks to her infant daughter, removing her work clothes and putting on a more modest and fitting house dress. "I met an angel you know? The angel is looking out for us. You are going to have everything you want Verinne, you won't have to worry about food, or where you are going to sleep again."

Excitement drips from the blonde, placing a small toy soldier of Barovian make on a shelf with a few other toys for the baby.  Alisaie looks back to the child as she continues to speak. "The best part my flower? I might one day get to play on the same stage as the Maitresse once did. Yea, the same woman you were named after. Oh I wonder if the manager would be alright with me bringing you to see the Theatre. Don't worry Verinne, Mommy is going to make sure that she keeps this job no matter what. I'm going to be the best stage hand they could ask for."
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 11:10:38 PM by Freydaelyn »
Celestial noise detected;Delirium unsuspected
Static tuned in to reason
Time in the aether deepens;Transmissions blink uncompleted

Freydaelyn

• Mistress of Faces
  • Dark Power
Re: Life with Verinne - Alisaie Goulet
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2022, 10:42:01 PM »
The familiar tenement room is in a state of being packed up. Bags of clothes, effects in boxes, and the little touches of home all gone from the room. Despite the state of the room, the small cradle sits still furnished with the young Verinne laying in a relaxing rest. Her mother writes quietly on staff paper, still wearing her silks for her time in the publique around the upper crust of Dementluise society.

"Mommy has done so much already for you dear. I have been able to save a few thousand solars from my wages and still have enough to enjoy tastes of luxury. You'll get to taste that too when you're older. Won't that be fun?" The blonde radiates excitement as she speaks to the sleeping child. The young beauty wearing makeup that even weeks before she would not have been able to afford. "Hopefully soon you'll be able to meet your aunties at the theatre. I do not want to bring you too soon. I know a few ask a lot to see you."

Candles flicker as she continues to work over the sheet music, the young babe resting peacefully. Alisaie stands, putting her quill down as she moves over to the child. She gives a soft caress of her daughter's cheek. "Your mommy is going to be a lion, my Verinne. No more being scared, no more meekness. You will have a mother you can look up to, aunties that you can look to as well. I will move heaven and earth so that you are safe and comfortable, the cost is not too much and I will pay it for you."

Freydaelyn

• Mistress of Faces
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2022, 02:23:15 AM »
The walls surrounding Verinne were different these days. Her mother Alisaie had a stoke of good fortune, able to rent a small but nice place in the Savant. It was still a modest home but it was not the Ouvrier. Verinne's mother took time away to ensure that the new home was unpacked swiftly so the two of them could adjust to the new home. Verinne did not like the new home and made her opinion known vocally, she did not like the nanny that Alisaie hired either but the child had not much choice in the matter.

The door opens as the child's blonde haired mother flows in to the home, thanking the nanny for her time. Verinne said hello in the only way she knew best, she cried.

"Verinne mon précieux, it is alright mommy is home." Alisaie shushes the child picking her up and giving her calming swings left and right. "All is fine mommy is here."

The blonde for her part was even more dressed up and makeup than even before, pupils wide from nightshade. Were it not for her mannerisms some might think the musician to be from a nice merchant family not a fortunate woman from the Ouvrier who got her lucky break only a month and a half ago. "Verinne I got to chat with some of my friends and do you know what they said? That mommy's songs were well received. We're doing it Verinne, we're going to get you a better life."

"I am making ever precaution to make sure that I don't ruin this for you and that the world is ready for Verinne Goulet to make her grand debut when she is older." Alisaie smiles wide though something lingers in her gaze, something deep that was on the back of her mind. "Mommy is going to make sure that you have everything you could have wanted and more my child, that the world is safe...the bullies, the filth that would rather harass a woman in the streets than try and improve the world? Mommy will see that you don't have to worry about them ever, and mommy knows who can help."

Verinne cooed, she liked seeing her mother smile.

Freydaelyn

• Mistress of Faces
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2022, 05:39:14 AM »
Her mother was in late tonight. She had left after the nanny did, she was gone for a while but Verinne woke when the door opened. At first there was nothing but then like magic Alisaie appeared. Her hands were covered in a deep red liquid as was one of her dresses. The blonde woman's eyes were a bit vacant as she went to clean herself up. Each step was like the woman was in a haze, but with a purpose. She hummed a soft happy song while she cleaned her hands. Verinne smiled, she liked her mother's songs. Mother Goulet looked herself in the mirror a few moments before stepping over to her daughter with a smile, rubbing her cheek affectionately.

"Verinne my flower. Mommy is sorry rehearsal called tonight, and that is one less bully you will ever have to worry about." Her voice full of motherly affection as she kisses her daughter's forehead before retiring for the night.

Freydaelyn

• Mistress of Faces
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2022, 08:04:48 PM »
"Duck!" Little Verinne called from across the small but nice apartment within the Savant. The child had spoken her first words and wished the world to be aware of it.

"Oui my sweet, duck." Her mother called back as she saw to her writing. Alisaie had been busy these past few days. Seeing contracts made for her performances, writing an entire opera on her own with costume design on the mind as well, her duties as secretary for Monsieur Valcourt, all while maintaining a public life and appointments with friends. Her eyes were tired but full of love for her dear daughter. Though the weight of the world weighed heavily upon Alisaie, none of that was to reach sweet Verinne. Her delicate hands moved to pick up the child, soft calming cooing and pats.

"Shall I tell you a story Verinne? There once was a beautiful pauper girl, she was born to hard working parents and a loving brother in a small hovel. She had so much love in her heart, just like you my sweet." The nose of Verinne's mother rubbed against hers. Verinne smiled excitedly.

"This pauper girl, lets call her...Alice. Alice had a love to share with everyone and she found that through music and a lovely noble woman who encouraged the best of those who were not as fortunate as her. This noble woman inspired Alice, oh so much, Alice took to her music to perform for the less fortunate much like herself. Even though some of them were mean to Alice, she still did all she could to try and bring joy to others. They would say mean rude things to Alice." Her mother's face was animated, a big deep frown as she spoke.

"But Alice, she persisted. She knew that people were good deep down in her heart. One day she met a cunning and vile man...we will call him Pierre. Pierre wanted Alice's beauty. He lied to Alice and promised oh so many lovely things. Pierre took all he could from Alice all while lieing to her, claiming to love her, claiming that it was true love and forever. Well, soon it came to be known that Alice was with child. Yes a cute little child like you? Do you know what Pierre the cad did Verinne?" Her tone still a sickly sweet storytelling tone as she looks to her daughter.

"He left Alice. Alone, with nothing but herself." Her line dry, without animation, only venom and hate in her mothers tone. Verinne did not like seeing her mother upset. Tears soon built in her eyes.

"Ah do not cry my sweet, the story is not yet done." The blonde mother calmed the child as she spoke, her sweet tone coming back. "You see Alice, she prayed for an angel to come and help her. Alice had done nothing but love the world and the people in it, but they did not love Alice back. She prayed hard, oh so hard. And you know what Verinne? It was answered by two Angels. They opened Alice's eyes, she had done nothing wrong but it was the world that had wronged her. Just like the noble woman that Alice oh so adored. With her eyes opened Alice knew what she had to do." Alisaie looked to her daughter, the babe now asleep in her arms.

Ever so softly Verinne was lowered in to the crib, a small smile on her mother's face as she pet her daughter's cheek as she tucked her in. "Your father is just like the criminal I saw to...The angels and I will be sure you are safe my Verinne."

Freydaelyn

• Mistress of Faces
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2022, 02:31:30 AM »

Freydaelyn

• Mistress of Faces
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2023, 01:38:19 AM »
Verinne's mother spent a lot of time writing these days. Either she was at one book or another. The small apartment was covered in standard paper, blank pages, and sheet music. The nanny would from time to time tidy up Alisaie's mess but as soon as the blonde returned the whirlwind of paper would find itself formed yet again. Verinne was happy her mother was home more but she did not spend a lot of time playing with her. Verinne believed it best to get her mother's attention in this moment of temporary negligence.

"Duck" the young daughter called across the room. Her legs kicking with an excited playfulness. A warm smile crossing her mother's face as she turned in her seat to look at the child.

"Verinne my dear, did you need something?" the page behind Alisaie was a mess, a rough script with doodles in the ledger. Drawings of thugs with their stomach carved open, a familiar gendarme who had sense left the city, only with multiple stab wounds, and pictures of an angelic being with familiar features to a woman that Alisaie would describe to Verinne.

"Duck!" Verinne informed her mother. It was quite important Alisaie knew this. The blonde's smile only grew as she walked over to her daughter. The bottom of the script devolved in to gibberish reading Smy sma zaac ph eawuzual, sudd wfooyr qryizywz. Tmy duirw vorv rutm maqw sudd ky krafqmz za wdifqmzyr iz zmy vorqyd'w milv. Alisaie picked up Verinne and held her close. Giving a tender kiss to the child's forehead as she bounces her.

"You've been happier as of late, is it because mama is working here instead of the office lately my Verinne?" The mother's tone was a loving, if tired, cooing as she spoke. Verinne opened her mouth spewing baby gibberish in response at first before she spoke words of true wisdom.

"Ma....ma"

Freydaelyn

• Mistress of Faces
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2023, 10:07:12 AM »
Verinne's mother was quiet that night. There was no smiles, no emotion at all. For her own part the child slept peacefully for once. Alisaie just stared at the mirror. Her eyes dilated by the nightshade, just like her sister. Her face done up in makeup as she was taught how to by her. There were a few traces of blood in her hair still that she did not clean off, the deer likely did not deserve the fate it received from Alisaie but she needed to feel something else. Though now she just felt nothing. It was the same as when her brother, Roland, disappeared. They may not have always got along but Roland was her best friend until his disappearance. Again, her friend was gone.

Alisaie's voice was a soft croak of it's former self as she spoke to herself "Angel...all that matters is my daughter. There is no one left here but my Verinne. Please, let me see you, hear you. I just want my daughter to have the future I was never promised. Please..."

There was no response for a while. Verinne slept soundly upon her bed, her mother listened. A sick smile crossed her face before she spoke again, as if agreeing with something said "Even if I must burn everything else down around her."

Freydaelyn

• Mistress of Faces
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2023, 12:29:31 AM »
Yaf mijy fldatcyv ph tiqy Garythmar

Freydaelyn

• Mistress of Faces
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2023, 09:37:02 AM »
Verinne is not asleep this night. She was not unrestful though, rather just enjoying her new friend staring off in to the distance. Her mother invited the elf to stay with them. The dear child loved informing her new friend how much she loved ducks and her mother. Her new friend just stared in to the distance but it was alright, Verinne knew she was paying attention. Her mother did not come home until late that night but she was asleep. Though her mind mighty, the babe did not know what Alisaie meant by muttering to her "...even if I must sell out all I am, I'll see you to saftey".

It did not matter to Verinne. Things were nice at home, her mother was smiling again and she had a new friend. Verinne told her new friend about the ducks again.

Freydaelyn

• Mistress of Faces
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2023, 05:07:44 AM »
There was no time for Verinne's mother to rest on her performance. She was back at the books yet again, all of them large legal books that the blonde usually would not have had. Verinne for her part had a lovely time, she played peekaboo with her new friend, got to see gramgram and grandpapa, the nice man with a hood even gave her cookies. She did not watch her mother's performance but she enjoyed herself being out and about for once. So many sights and sounds, her mother was even dressed really pretty.

"What is being a lawyer but being a performer on a different stage?" Alisaie muttered as she turned though page after page. "My instrument is just my words like acting is. I just can't fake it like acting on the terraces." Alisaie frowned as she peeled over book after book. Every contingency, every plan Alisaie put in place was encase something went wrong. All of it for Verinne, Roland would call her a sell out but it needed to be done. Lonely was the head that wore the crown that Roxana offered. The whispers, she heard them but no one else did. She understood why Roxana did what she did more now. Agreements were made and Alisaie was a woman of her word to those that aided her. Verinne's mother looked back to her daughter.

"Ridicule, scorn, hate, damnation, loneliness, selling out, misery, or anything else is worth the price Verinne." Standing she went and gave a kiss to the sleeping child's head before going back to her pouring over tomes of law.

Freydaelyn

• Mistress of Faces
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2023, 08:23:56 PM »
Verinne's mother was a coward. When the whiff of danger blew in on a distant faint breeze the Ouriver mouse scurried to retrieve her daughter and left. The dear Verinne slept soundly as her mother stared out the window, clutching the bundle tightly. The child within was all that mattered, all that can matter now. The swaying carriage on the road took her temporarily from the obligations she willingly tied herself to. Verinne's mother tilted her head, listening to the conversation only she could hear.

Alisaie spoke softly and calmly, not to disturb the child. "I am aware I could have learned more if I stayed but I do no one good if I am dead." The blonde quiets as she listens again to some unheard words, she nods a few times seeming to agree with something. A tiny quiet yawn breaks up her nodding for only a moment as Verinne ensured that even in rest, her presence was known.

"The real work begins in full upon my return, I will not make the same mistakes as my sister before me. Steady, slow, methodical. Build our vision brick by brick. We will position ourselves where I can keep Verinne safe and serve the bindings I agreed to." Only the creeking of the wheels below the carriage are heard for some time beyond the soft breathing of the sleeping Verinne. Hours pass before she finally speaks again.

"What do you mean my priorities are wrong?"

Freydaelyn

• Mistress of Faces
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2023, 11:54:15 PM »
Verinne enjoyed sleeping with her mother. It was not often that she got to rest herself in her mother's embrace, so the moments where she could the child savored. Alisaie had mentioned to the child some sounds that sounded quite happy so it of course made Verinne smile wide at the time, she loves seeing her mother smile. It was odd though how that smile disappeared when she went to write in one of her books. Most strange that, to go from seeming extremely happy to distraught so quickly.

"Mummummumm" Verinne had called from her crib, drawing her mother's attention. The features of her face like that of someone who's back has broken carrying the weight of the world on her shoulders. Verrine continued upon getting her mother's attention. "Duck!"

"Yes Verinne, the ducks" Alisaie laughed as she stood up from her writing and picked the child up. She walked the child over to the near by bed within the small apartment, petting her hair softly as she lay with her. Verinne's mother's eyes did not close as they lay. No. She layed there with an occasional nod as if something otherworldly whispered in to her ears. Across the room, the journal lay easily enough to read out in the open.

Why did they care so much about the devils that they claimed my sister dealt with? Roxana worked more than any of them to see that this land and hers were brought in to a true paradise of equality. That those of their skill are not held down by their birth. That when one is sick they are not thrown away for insecurities. No...The devils walk among us and they are just like the filth that cuts and bleeds out the innocent in the Ouriver and Merchand. How quickly they turn to duplicitous games against each other. Roland forgive me, I fear I am becoming more like what you hated but it is for your niece. If I must wear chains, I should at least ensure that the ones I take are comfortable. Perhaps we will see each other again soon. This city ate you alive my older brother, it is my turn so that Verinne does not suffer the same.

Freydaelyn

• Mistress of Faces
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2023, 04:30:49 AM »
Verinne was away for her protection. The small apartment in the Savant was quiet except for the frenzied writing of the child's blonde mother. Her focus like a hawk upon prey on the page she wrote on. Various books around her of magical, legal, and musical varieties. Her studies of all aspects would not slow down.

Time...
...Time...
...Time...
...See what's become of me...

Alisaie continued to write, the muses she heard could wait for now. Agreements to be upheld and work to be done were more important. Chains she chose would suffice to see her to the happy end for her daughter.

Time, Time, Time. See what's become of me.

While I looked around for my possibilities

I WAS SO HARD TO PLEASE

It was all for Verinne. Every act that caused her discomfort was answered with that. Work for those you can not stand? It is all for Verinne, swallow your pride. Betray your birth? It is fine, Verinne will know luxury and happiness. Sua spoke true rarely but he was true about one thing. It sat in Alisaie's mind. It pushed her forward to help her daughter these days without her.

Hang on to your hopes my friend...

...That's an easy thing to say...

...but if your hopes should pass away...

SIMPLY PRETEND
THAT YOU CAN BUILD THEM AGAIN

Midnight oil burns, she had degrees to get, station to gain, coin to save, and no time for others outside of her circle. Verinne would understand in time why her mother was misserable...at least Alisaie believed that.

Seasons change with the scenery

...Weaving time in a tapestry...

...Won't you stop and remember me?