Author Topic: Blood o'the Vine Tavern - Vallaki  (Read 358 times)

hn3SoNaReS

• Undead Slayer
Blood o'the Vine Tavern - Vallaki
« on: November 05, 2022, 02:52:23 PM »
I'm aware that this has come up some time ago, but I would like to suggest that the area be considered for a re-design. The layout is confusing and it feel's oddly disjointed, and it's so large you could probably miss players if you're in the wrong section at the wrong time. I don't feel the area in its configuration is very roleplay friendly. I think by now there should be a more appropriate tileset to make the areas more focused, desirable, and improve the flow.

apeppertoo

• Dark Lord
Re: Blood o'the Vine Tavern - Vallaki
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2022, 03:02:10 PM »
I'm told it's close to a 1:1 representation of the area from pen and paper or maybe a DOS computer game, to which I'd say: the design of the area in those games is really awful and I'm not sure who it's serving beyond the nostalgia of the person who first implemented the area.

I don't expect it will get changed as it's in a place we're not supposed to be staying for any great length of time. The Village is more like a museum or a haunted house than a living, breathing location on a PW.
Mariah Parsons

Skelni

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
  • You can always contact me
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2022, 03:02:53 PM »
I believe it is modeled after the DOS Ravenloft game, that includes it's big layout and such.

The irony is it's a much bigger and detailed place than something like the Lady's Rest (somehow the better rooms are also cheaper in comparison) - But I think it would certainly benefit from being more tight in it's design and size to better accommodate people who want to use it.
Active: Vorrala Dalael

Shelved: Dirge Driftwood - Jezebel Redcherry - Silf Argyros - Ledewif Oberholtz

Closured: Razik Slepnel - Azaulia Curantus - Gavril Dragnea

hn3SoNaReS

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 03:13:31 PM »
I'm told it's close to a 1:1 representation of the area from pen and paper or maybe a DOS computer game, to which I'd say: the design of the area in those games is really awful and I'm not sure who it's serving beyond the nostalgia of the person who first implemented the area.

I don't expect it will get changed as it's in a place we're not supposed to be staying for any great length of time. The Village is more like a museum or a haunted house than a living, breathing location on a PW.

I'm sure it was lovely in the DOS computer game, but this is a sort of sandbox make your own adventure module, if players want to go to the vine and roleplay for any length of time I don't think it's in good spirit for anyone to suggest that they shouldn't stay, it's not like players are trying to hang out in Strahd's wine cellar for kicks.

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2022, 04:26:56 PM »
I think it was based off the pen and paper design, and I believe there are plot reasons for the layout. It's split into two, a bar and a restaurant. It would be nice to maybe add an option to rent a room from the restaurant half, or at least have some sort of notification about where what is.

It's also the village of Barovia, players are not really meant to feel welcome there of all places. it's a small rural village that is under the direct gaze of Castle Ravenloft.  There are places you can dungeon in there, and one faction base and a few secret ones too. You can rent rooms, it's just a long walk, and I interpret that as it being a huge place. While it's not likely to get a revamp, maybe we could get little markers by the doors so we know what is what, or an updated conversation. I mean it took me years until I learned there was a section that served food there.
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2022, 06:03:49 PM »
I can confirm it was based on the DOS game Strahd's Possession, as is most the Barovia village area. That being said we DO have it on our to-do list to rework it more as the pen & paper version. Time will tell if it gets completed, but my gold is on "it's coming sooner than later".
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2022, 06:59:12 PM »
I can confirm it was based on the DOS game Strahd's Possession, as is most the Barovia village area. That being said we DO have it on our to-do list to rework it more as the pen & paper version. Time will tell if it gets completed, but my gold is on "it's coming sooner than later".

This is good news, really cool location and I think a lot of people are looking forward to this. :mrgreen:
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.