Author Topic: A Barovian Revival: Growing a Domain  (Read 1348 times)

Kireek

• Undead Slayer
Re: A Barovian Revival: Growing a Domain
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2022, 11:06:09 PM »
Well.. maybe the outskirts should have a few more buildings then? I mean... The more I think about it, it could be appropriate?

myrddraal

• Dark Lord
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2022, 12:02:54 AM »
In favor of a Barovian revival though not really the methods proposed in OP. In my mind, a big problem with Barovian RP is that anything outside of the outskirts seems to require a certain amount of pre-planning, either as an event or ooc coming together on a group concept. Vallaki needs an organic revival before inorganic, forced methods are used for the rest of Barovia, otherwise, any surge of life in the rest of Barovia will always be one-offs.

Port-a-Lucine was designed with social/political/intrigue RP in mind, there are many cafes, natural IC places to seek RP, not so for Vallaki. The outskirts make for an awkward place to seek RP, they don't make much sense IC, they tend to be either extremely busy and loud or utterly empty. Meanwhile the natural gathering points, IC places to seek RP, are spread out very far. If you go anywhere besides the outskirts or perhaps the Lady's Rest you are unlikely to stumble on any RP.

I don't have a solution, except perhaps to encourage people to use the lfrp tool, which is woefully underused, and only ever seems to have a single other person using it that typically seems to have just forgotten it was on while out dungeoning.

There are so many taverns in Vallaki it's insane.  Easy as many cafes as Port has if not more.  The last time I asked someone to meet me at one of them they forgot where it even was because nobody actually RPs in the city.  The city itself could be half the size is and it wouldn't impact anyone's RP at all because other than running through it, the space goes completely unused because everyone just stands in the outskirts.  The issue is not laying in "we have nowhere to RP" its player culture.  Go to a more interesting location, use LFRP mode, actually look for people in LFRP mode.

KovosDatch

• The Underworld
  • Dark Lord
  • Stinkcoin mint
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2022, 12:06:30 AM »
Well.. maybe the outskirts should have a few more buildings then? I mean... The more I think about it, it could be appropriate?

I see no reason for this. Most people ignore the buildings unless they either need a place to rest/heal or look to enter the top floors of the crypt. Otherwise most people just ignore curfew at night and never use the buildings. Adding more buildings that will not be used does not seem like a solution in my books.

remnar

• Dark Lord
  • kill, corpsehide, girlboss
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2022, 12:13:05 AM »
id make a longer post but im tired

but LFRP mode doesnt work
no one activates it.  people activate it, see no one there, and deactivate it.  there is maybe at most three people in lfrp mode at any one time
worse, sometimes when people are in LFRP (maybe they forgot?), they see someone activate it and then de-activate it.

i would use it, but it also has a fatal flaw
every server reset lfrp mode turns off.  Sometimes the server resets every day, sometimes it can be 4-5 days.  either way, its something you forget so you'll look at your rest menu and you don't even look down at the lfrp mode option because you dont realize the reset turns it off

this basically combines it all into a perfect storm of an un-used feature

Read my guide: https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=62555.0
and come to my clinic in Vallaki!

She Said Destroy

• The Underworld
  • New to the Mists
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2022, 12:34:25 AM »

True. I wish it could atleast let you add a little introductory message besides the location or something.
Also, as it stands, you kinda have to park your character and wait until someone shows up. That's never really worked for me as way to initiate RP, but maybe it has for someone else?

myrddraal

• Dark Lord
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2022, 12:49:12 AM »

True. I wish it could atleast let you add a little introductory message besides the location or something.
Also, as it stands, you kinda have to park your character and wait until someone shows up. That's never really worked for me as way to initiate RP, but maybe it has for someone else?

I have on various occasions tracked people down using the LFRP mode.  Sometimes it DOES take patience but it does work.

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2022, 04:14:29 AM »
In favor of a Barovian revival though not really the methods proposed in OP. In my mind, a big problem with Barovian RP is that anything outside of the outskirts seems to require a certain amount of pre-planning, either as an event or ooc coming together on a group concept. Vallaki needs an organic revival before inorganic, forced methods are used for the rest of Barovia, otherwise, any surge of life in the rest of Barovia will always be one-offs.

Port-a-Lucine was designed with social/political/intrigue RP in mind, there are many cafes, natural IC places to seek RP, not so for Vallaki. The outskirts make for an awkward place to seek RP, they don't make much sense IC, they tend to be either extremely busy and loud or utterly empty. Meanwhile the natural gathering points, IC places to seek RP, are spread out very far. If you go anywhere besides the outskirts or perhaps the Lady's Rest you are unlikely to stumble on any RP.

I don't have a solution, except perhaps to encourage people to use the lfrp tool, which is woefully underused, and only ever seems to have a single other person using it that typically seems to have just forgotten it was on while out dungeoning.

There are so many taverns in Vallaki it's insane.  Easy as many cafes as Port has if not more.  The last time I asked someone to meet me at one of them they forgot where it even was because nobody actually RPs in the city.  The city itself could be half the size is and it wouldn't impact anyone's RP at all because other than running through it, the space goes completely unused because everyone just stands in the outskirts.  The issue is not laying in "we have nowhere to RP" its player culture.  Go to a more interesting location, use LFRP mode, actually look for people in LFRP mode.

I wish there would be more, much more things to do in the residential district. It is as beautiful, if not even more beautiful, than the savant in Port, and it's conveniently nearby the outskirts. Not many know that Mariska has indeed a table inside her bakery, for example. Or that there is a nice park. Even the Blue water is underutilised in the Nobles. I took it upon Romeo to drag as many people in as I can and have Rp in there, and it would help if there were smaller tables for more intimate evenings other than the 5 seater huge tables, for one.

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured

strangerinthealps

• Undead Master
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2022, 08:23:13 AM »

Yeah, I hate that no one uses the Drowned Rat...

Abear

• Dark Lord
  • You are not a human being.
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2022, 01:41:33 PM »
delete the lady's rest and the outskirts sanctuary
Current: Sásha Kostoviç
Occasionally: Blair Florescu