You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: NCE Feedback  (Read 1248 times)

Chadyo

• Dark Lord
  • Don't you deserve better than a part-time deity?
    • My crafting post!
NCE Feedback
« on: October 26, 2022, 09:59:50 AM »
Any chance we could get the prices for customizing armour reduced? Because 3900 for customizing a fullplate that we bravely faced a skeletal lord for seems a little much when I've barely made 600 coins in the first day.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
Re: NCE Feedback
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2022, 02:25:45 PM »
I brought this up in a thread like three weeks ago, and the chief argument was that the server needed it as a gold sink. One that disproportionately affects new characters.

We shall have an ugly NCE. An ugly, vanilla plate NCE.

Lion El'Jonson

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2022, 03:20:24 PM »
Any chance we could get the prices for customizing armour reduced? Because 3900 for customizing a fullplate that we bravely faced a skeletal lord for seems a little much when I've barely made 600 coins in the first day.
You will be ugly and you'll like it. >: (. But honestly, I think it's charming. We're all low level guppies, and as such we all look like low level guppies. Only the casters get the drip.

zDark Shadowz

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2022, 05:57:19 PM »
You're supposed to steal the swag AMPC's armors. Their loot is yours if you ask to loot them after they die.

pretty

• Outlander
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2022, 07:57:05 PM »
You're supposed to steal the swag AMPC's armors. Their loot is yours if you ask to loot them after they die.

You shouldn't have written that.

Now the desire after armour will beat the fear and crowds with pitchforks will tripple in size.

Skelni

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
  • You can always contact me
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2022, 08:36:50 PM »
You shouldn't have written that.

Now the desire after armour will beat the fear and crowds with pitchforks will tripple in size.
Gotta secure that drip.
Active: Vorrala Dalael

Shelved: Dirge Driftwood - Jezebel Redcherry - Silf Argyros - Ledewif Oberholtz

Closured: Razik Slepnel - Azaulia Curantus - Gavril Dragnea

Holgard

• Outlander
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2022, 08:44:18 PM »
Pretty sure the AMPC is not allowed to give loot unless it's an heirloom item, which they also choose who gets it.

Vantes-

• Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2022, 09:11:46 PM »
I've been having a lot of fun with new and old friends alike, and have been loving everything I've seen so far from the AMPCs!
Active: Vahn Stanek
Others: Aelas Telenseer, Fenn Yrren
Closured: Adan Elandi

Kireek

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2022, 02:52:44 PM »
Crag cats near the road when there are wandering mountain goats that will lure them down.. during NCE means that crag cats now basically will end up killing all of tent city... which they've doen now.

Not great placement, you can kinda avoid them, but the goats cause a random element now that has effectivly resulted in massive amounts of random player deaths, and complete depopulation of a town.

apeppertoo

• Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2022, 02:54:01 PM »
Crag cats near the road when there are wandering mountain goats that will lure them down.. during NCE means that crag cats now basically will end up killing all of tent city... which they've doen now.

Not great placement, you can kinda avoid them, but the goats cause a random element now that has effectivly resulted in massive amounts of random player deaths, and complete depopulation of a town.

+1, I think I was their first victim today. I got away with my gold, if not my weapon, but the people behind me weren't so lucky.
Mariah Parsons

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2022, 07:55:42 AM »
A possible solution is a DM spaned special tailoring dummy in the Vallaki tailoring shop for the course of the event that charges a reduced fee?

Chadyo

• Dark Lord
  • Don't you deserve better than a part-time deity?
    • My crafting post!
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2022, 03:52:18 AM »
All the amounts should be changed to what the crafted gear customisation costs. Because 300 gold was all it took to customise my fullplate to pretty much change everything. It makes no sense that with a lesser quality item such as a found fullplate that it should cost ~2000 even without the NCE.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2022, 09:10:26 AM »
Insofar as tailoring charges on loot table armor; I honestly don't see a net benefit in it. Much like a miniature wargamer, you don't like to put your pieces on the table with someone's unpainted plastic models. All this does is contribute to an environment where people are penalized for making their characters look immersive, and it does a net negative to the server's immersion as a whole. Just get rid of the costs on crafted items, or create zones where altering armor is free such as in zones with tailoring dummies. The OOC room is one such zone on character creation.

myrddraal

• Dark Lord
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2022, 10:48:20 AM »
Not participating but what I hear is it’s awful.  All dungeons perma cleared, nothing but scraps like rusty weapons left behind, no way to really collect any kind of coin, crafting materials also on perma farm. Etc

Calad

• Champion of the Eternal Dawn
  • Undead Master
  • The Ancient. The Land.
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2022, 01:35:01 PM »
This year I noticed a distinct lack of native characters except the Dementlieuse seem to be in numbers, the majority of the population is very outlander. Which is not a bad thing of course, it's just different to what I perceived from earlier years.

We're halfway done and I have failed to do a single full dungeon so far. I don't mind it really, though it's true that almost everything is cleared.

Somehow this year I find it harder to interact with people, I do not know why. Could be related to me rather than a server thing.

The DMs have been super helpful and great at setting atmosphere, and the few AMPCs I saw are also extremely enjoyable to interact with.
Long live the Count, Strahd von Zarovich XI!

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2022, 03:33:16 PM »
Found it too frenzied actually. At day 3 I already found people raiding raduta. Dungeon dungeon dungeon craft craft craft grind grind grind. Not enough time to RP significantly, and having an ecl2 adversarial character didn't help. Don't think I'll get back for other nce.

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2022, 04:39:26 PM »
Playing during peak time in the rush of the first few days is asking for trouble. Give it some time to die down and you will have all the dungeons you want a little closer to the end of the event, most of the low level dungeons only take maybe an hour or two to build back up to at least a moderate spawn level.

The further you go from the outskirts, the more likely stuff is to be available too, most people are running between the same locations just a couple zones from the temple, killing low spawns out of desperation, then returning to the temple with 30 other people who are all thinking about doing the same dungeon.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

myrddraal

• Dark Lord
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2022, 05:06:20 PM »
Playing during peak time in the rush of the first few days is asking for trouble. Give it some time to die down and you will have all the dungeons you want a little closer to the end of the event, most of the low level dungeons only take maybe an hour or two to build back up to at least a moderate spawn level.

The further you go from the outskirts, the more likely stuff is to be available too, most people are running between the same locations just a couple zones from the temple, killing low spawns out of desperation, then returning to the temple with 30 other people who are all thinking about doing the same dungeon.

If you can only participate at the end of the event because everyone is clique'd up (another thing i've heard mentioned from numerous people) and farming everything, whats even the point?  I wouldnt do a NCE unless as an MPC personally.  Too many people focused in Vallaki area and not enough low level content to go around.  Unless you have a group and happen to be off hours, this is basically saying "you dont get to enjoy the nce."

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2022, 05:18:54 PM »
I would just try to avoid the Vallaki circus as much as possible. Even with Lizuca gone, there is a wall to wall crowd in the temple around peak hours causing the chat to scroll rapidly. If this is the zerg you enjoy, you may find the sheer spectacle fun. But there will be little adventure for you unless you abandon Vallaki and have great patience even during the off hours, the spawns just take too long to build up and all it takes is someone going in to clear it while it's still building to start it over.

Not saying it's perfect or even close to ideal for a majority of players, and it does last a pretty short time. Many come into the NCE under the impression that every dungeon will be available near constantly because everyone is so low level. But that's just not realistic. The easier dungeons are even more relevant during this time. Normally, there are no levels around, now everyone is, so everyone wants them. Most people will hit blind drive before hitting level 6, and some decide at this point to roll a new character and do it all over again, which has already happened.

Just how it goes. Mathematically it is feast or famine in terms of dungeons. There's only a handful of DMs and MPCs active as well, and they can only entertain so many at once, too.

Lex Talionis

• Outlander
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2022, 05:49:54 PM »
Found it too frenzied actually. At day 3 I already found people raiding raduta. Dungeon dungeon dungeon craft craft craft grind grind grind. Not enough time to RP significantly, and having an ecl2 adversarial character didn't help. Don't think I'll get back for other nce.

This has been my experience in the other NCE's that I took part in. In this one, I've observed much the same behavior. A lot of players seem to want to hurry up and catch up to the AMPC's by spamming dungeons. But I say to each their own. After the last one, I vowed not to participate anymore in the NCE, but I changed my mind and opted to play an AMPC this go round and it's a refreshing change of pace.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2022, 08:29:05 PM »
NCE was a good idea, a decade ago, when the server's max pop was 64 players. There's just not enough room in Vallaki anymore for 120 new players all working simultaneously, and everyone is trying to outperform eachother in the first few days to set the stage for the rest of NCE.

NCE has always been a nice stage to start a new character, if you want a new character to carry after NCE, but other than playing temporary concepts like an aMPC, it's rarely been a satisfactory solo experience for me. I've barely played during this NCE because of it; It's too chaotic, and compressed into too tight of a space.

Zyemeth

• Undead Master
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2022, 10:24:01 PM »
The NCE -can- provide a lot of cool RP opportunities but generally is a survival horror experience. Scrounge up enough scraps to survive everything that can kill you on a whim. Running, screaming, cold-sweat scary. The RP can be had of being someone thrust into a hardcore survival scenario. The first three days is normally filled with a rat-race for resources and then things calm down a bit.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2022, 02:05:48 AM »
I still think it's a good time, and the only time really, to wander around well away from the zerg and find spontaneous RP with others in the wilderness. Low levels are a rare sight outside of this event but the concentration is just enough that nowhere is really so far off the beaten path, so you can form impromptu groups without camping the temple.

bloodless

• The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • ?
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2022, 06:34:27 AM »
This is my third NCE now and for the third time I'm trying out a different approach to it. One was a group concept, one was a solo take, and now it's sticking with ooc friends. Each has had its unique pros and cons though the second go of it was my least enjoyed of the three. I don't think that's a quirk of the event, however, rather a mirror to my own interests, strengths and weaknesses as a roleplayer. The opportunities are absolutely out there to play whatever game you want to try.

For this NCE specifically, I don't know if it's just timing or what, but I'm actually finding it a lot less chaotic than the previous two. A lot less nervous energy, a lot more people walking with purpose.

Kireek

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2022, 09:48:30 PM »
I think theres just.. less people during this NCE it feels like.