You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Water Breathing Spell  (Read 542 times)

FunkeyMonkey

• Outlander
Water Breathing Spell
« on: October 21, 2022, 05:13:11 AM »
What are the thoughts on it being a single applicable spell rather than at mass?

It's level three which is reasonably low, comparing it to Omniscient Eye which is single use and required in more situations vs water breathing which you only really need in two dungeons.

Swan

• Undead Slayer
  • 𝑱𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒂𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒓.
Re: Water Breathing Spell
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 06:00:40 AM »
Feels like an unnecessary change to address a problem that doesn't exist.
The fact that it's uses on are quite limited is exactly why it should remain a mass spell.

Vision of the Omniscient Eye is not required for any dungeon, in my experience; it's simply a convenience.
Water Breathing, on the other hand, is a literal requirement for...two dungeons? And a convenience for another.

Changing it from a mass spell to a single application adds absolutely nothing to the server experience.
The only change it provides is added difficulty in entry to the dungeon by forcing people to cut down in party size,
and thus pigeonholing people into obeying a specific party range in terms of how many people a party can bring.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 11:55:51 AM by Swan »

McDuck

• Outlander
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2022, 09:26:25 AM »
I agree with Swan here.

Water breathing is fine wher it is and should not change at all.

Though no doubt people have bracers with them for the just in case

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2022, 09:32:35 AM »
I guess a single target version of the spell could be useful on 2nd circle if you just want the drown immunity, but not sure if it's common enough to matter, or if it appears in the source books like that.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Lion El'Jonson

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2022, 09:46:21 AM »
Just seems like a negative quality of life change. Why?

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2022, 11:28:17 AM »
Any spell is more useful than water breathing except when wb is mandatory.

Making the caster to memorize four wb's seems almost evil.
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

Zyemeth

• Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2022, 01:05:41 PM »
Agreed that making waterbreathing a single target cast seems to have no merit.

TacticalFerret

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2022, 06:26:26 PM »
In the source books I believe the duration is 2h/level split between any number of targets touched. It is not a single-target spell in the source material, nor does the NWN engine supports the manner in which multiple targets are selected. The current implementation is a fair compromise, so I doubt any change is warranted sans perhaps an adjustment to the duration.

Knight of Rhodes

• The Butcher of Barovia
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2022, 01:48:59 AM »
This is an extremely niche thing. I see no issue here, and recommend against the modification.    Special emphasis to swan and anarcoplayba's responses. 

Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2022, 02:16:36 AM »
Feels like an unnecessary change to address a problem that doesn't exist.
The fact that it's uses on are quite limited is exactly why it should remain a mass spell.

Vision of the Omniscient Eye is not required for any dungeon, in my experience; it's simply a convenience.
Water Breathing, on the other hand, is a literal requirement for...two dungeons? And a convenience for another.

Changing it from a mass spell to a single application adds absolutely nothing to the server experience.
The only change it provides is added difficulty in entry to the dungeon by forcing people to cut down in party size,
and thus pigeonholing people into obeying a specific party range in terms of how many people a party can bring.

I would argue vision of the omniscient eye is a requirement in several dungeons but thats a debate for a separate thread.

I am not necessarily against water breathing being cast in mass, however, the current dynamic between water breathing and breathe like a fish seems out of balance to me. Might make sense to rethink that feat and exchange it for something like additional movement speed underwater or something. I also wouldnt mind one of the water dungeons having dispel to make relying on water breathing a bit riskier.