You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Confused mobs can penetrate stealth  (Read 597 times)

Maffa

• Dark Power
Confused mobs can penetrate stealth
« on: October 19, 2022, 10:53:12 AM »
Just happened to me. I cast confusion on a group of mobs that wouldnt normally be able to see me while stealthing, they attacked me nonetheless.

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
Re: Confused mobs can penetrate stealth
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 10:55:21 AM »
Just happened to me. I cast confusion on a group of mobs that wouldnt normally be able to see me while stealthing, they attacked me nonetheless.

Confuse is a hostile action and therefor breaks your stealth. Unless you have some means to HiPS they might have simply seen you. Often times moving around a corner and restealthing is insufficient to get the job done.

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 11:23:45 AM »
i am 100% sure i was both invisible and stealthed while the confusion was still in effects.

Character List:

Marph - Closured

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2022, 11:43:10 AM »
So you recast invisibility after you cast confusion and the mobs were not close enough to attack you before you reapplied stealth?

I use this tactic frequently to thin the herd myself and I've never had an issue, but it does require that you recast invisibility quickly, run out of their detection range, and then stealth. If you're too close to the mobs when you reapply stealth, they never really lose you. I could be wrong, but I think that's more a limitation of the engine and knowledge of how to manipulate the stealth mechanics so that this doesn't occur. I'll test it out myself when I get a chance to log in later.

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2022, 12:06:43 PM »
I passed a nearby transition, reapplied both inv and stealth, and went back to the confused mob, and got attacked, only by confused mobs.

i suspected it had to do with engine limitations, but id rather put it out there than keeping it to myself

Character List:

Marph - Closured

Clementine

• Outlander
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2022, 01:28:48 PM »
I passed a nearby transition, reapplied both inv and stealth, and went back to the confused mob, and got attacked, only by confused mobs.

i suspected it had to do with engine limitations, but id rather put it out there than keeping it to myself

Someone more knowledgeable on this known bug can correct me if I'm wrong, but I suspect this has nothing to do with the mobs, or casting confusion, and everything to do with the known transition bug: when exiting a transition, stealthed and invisible character can briefly be seen. As players, it has long been the rule not to exploit this, however, there's no way to stop the NPC mobs from doing so. I imagine they all saw you, but only the confused NPCs were actively looking for a target to attack.

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2022, 05:09:24 PM »
Tested it out on a few enemies in a few different ways. Couldn't replicate the issue, but I also did not do transitions so that's likely the culprit as Clementine has pointed out.

MJ_Johansson

• Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2022, 07:15:00 PM »
I know confused enemies can tend to "stick" to a target, even if you run out of range and go invisible/stealthed. That's been a thing in NWN for as long as I've been playing, and happens inconsistantly. Not sure what can be done about that.
"Let love guide you, not fear."