You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Big Dreams  (Read 476 times)

ThatOneGeneralGuy

• Monstrous
  • Outlander
  • Player of Arelia, Tezoh, Ymir, and many more.
Big Dreams
« on: October 19, 2022, 02:06:16 AM »
In a large leather-bound journal and in fine ink, a young mul writes.

Well, I can't recall exactly who recommended I write this, but I was told this would help enrich myself. For whoever that might have been, I thank you, truly.

So, I suppose I shall start off by writing of what has come before, shouldn't I? It's been a hint of a ride, these past months since I have entered the mist, it all feels like some mirage still some nights while I sit and drink fine wine and look upon the sea. When I arrived, ashamed as I am to admit, I was hardly as kind as I am now. It was all too surreal an experience, I remember I felt as though I was drowning in the green and bounty of the land I found myself in. The people I found however, the locals at least, did not exactly dissuade my presumptions about most humans. Once, I was a treasured asset, and yet they saw me as a misshapen thing to be tossed out or killed.

I carried on some time as I had before these lands, wandering and hunting for whatever I needed, looking down on the humans I viewed as "soft" and "weak" at the time. Though, I did eventually meet some I took quite the liking too, some clergy. It's a shameful thing, but I cannot remember her name, but it was in particular a young Morninglord priestess. In spite of local superstition, and in spite of my distrust of any priests due to the Templars, she offered me her very own cloak during the winter. Such sounds silly, this I am aware, but it was of a greater significance than many could imagine. To a man who had never experienced snow and cold, a cloak to protect from the biting winter was a great kindness. That led me on to a very important discovery, the nature of the people I found myself around. Over a handful of months, I found a bit more respect for my fellow man, I saw them as what they were. Flawed, yet good.

Though, something had always bothered me, there was something deep down that I couldn't help but want. It was in the back of my mind at home, but in this strange new land filled with equally strange people, I could not shake it from pestering me. I wished to be normal. I wished to drink and eat as they did, I wished to walk about and go the places they went, I wished to dress like them and speak like them, to be accepted like them. I remember having a suit commissioned for myself, and sitting in a dark basement to indulge this fantasy of mine, as horribly sad as that sounds.

But, by some strange working of fate, things worked out for me, at least a little. I had received my letter of inheritance, elevating me beyond what I could have dreamed as a boy. I could finally have what I wanted and more, I could at last see the splendors of the world and find some sort of fulfillment. I can tell not many are fond of me, I know how they speak of me, how they call me a freak. I forgive them for it, and hope that one day, we may be friends. I know they would gladly see me cast out if they could, and yet, there are a handful of kind souls that make it all worth it, a few I'd gladly call friends.

I wonder though, what you would think of me, mother.

There appear to be several attempts at writing a new sentence, all crossed out.

I only wished I had not cost you your life, I am sorry. I hope that wherever you might be, that you are well.

I am sorry.

-Tezoh

Wealth beyond measure, outlander.

ThatOneGeneralGuy

• Monstrous
  • Outlander
Legacy
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 09:07:50 PM »
Another entry, the page marked with stains from a mug.

Legacy...What sort of legacy will I leave? This, I was forced to ponder as I set about working on my next piece for my good friend's show. Unfortunately, pondering such only fills my mind with fear and doubt. The further out I think on the future, the more I grow uncertain and anxious, as most of it depends on the precarious way that others perceive me. Do they truly care about me as a man? Do they see me as a title and nothing more? Do they see me as a freak like the rest of them? Do my worries alienate those I might find actual kinship and comfort with?

To these questions, I cannot be certain, and they weigh on me. There are small comforts, I suppose, especially those gifted to me by the good Valcourt, but none fully can numb the fears I hold in my heart. The polite smiles, the masks of kindness, the dishonesty and falseness, it scares me. Should I bare my true feelings on things or my past, I would be ruined, and yet worse, the sacrifices of those that got me to this point would be for nothing. With one bit of misplaced trust, all the good I wish to do will come crashing down. I am being forced to take sides, to choose favorites, and I dread what might happen.

Perhaps I shall make some more abstract statement on the matters of legacy and the past, portray something outside of my experience. I think it would be for the best, I only hope my friends do adore it. Something pretty, something showing the tragic yet beautiful nature of life.

-Tezoh

ThatOneGeneralGuy

• Monstrous
  • Outlander
Hellfire
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 01:02:16 AM »

Yet another page, this one stained with a faint amount of soot.

Much has happened, and much more lingers on my mind, things I cannot share with my fellows. The voyage abroad went not as I would have expected, though the people there seemed to regard me with a hint less scorn than I had presumed, I could not have prepared myself for what occurred. I did what I could, a dead man's family will live comfortably, and a good man will not forsake himself. But the clan will have much to repair, and I will leave them to it, it is not my place to intervene beyond what they ask.

Though, I have faith that situation will turn out, another thing troubles me. There are tensions, conflicts, and happenings that some seem to think I do not pick up on. I am no fool, and I have already made preparations accordingly, for myself and those I care about. Cold iron is a wondrous material to work with, once one has the aptitude, and I will see it put to use if needed.

-Tezoh

ThatOneGeneralGuy

• Monstrous
  • Outlander
Victory
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2023, 10:18:11 AM »
Yet another page, stained with tears and marked with spilled whiskey.

It's finally over, we won. But at what cost? I've done this before, I've killed before, I've had to watch the life of another man's eyes leave him after bashing his chest in with a stone. And yet now, I feel the same darkness creeping over me. I marched off this time, not out of need to survive, but instead to fight based on my ideals. I fought and I laid low those young men, heads filled with lies spun to them by their leaders. All in the name of country and a dream.

Yet here I am, with only a medal and two friendships I have lost alongside the horrors I witnessed. I'm coming to realize the path to these things is being paved in the lives and bodies of good souls. I am snubbed again as I was when I tried to defend this nation in its ranks to be turned away. It is clear to me that they do not see me as an equal, looking at how they treated my brothers in arms. Though their praises are well deserved, the same basic courtesy is not extended to me. But to be treated once more as a pawn fighting for the glory of another is something I will not let stand. I will not live as a gladiator with a pretty title, at least with that career, some loved me.

I take a measure of pride at least, in that I suffered in the stead of others.

-Tezoh