Author Topic: Stories of the Loa  (Read 387 times)

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
Stories of the Loa
« on: October 17, 2022, 12:52:54 AM »
The various stories of the Loa as recounted by the Voodan Joséphine of House Périgord of Port d'Elhour.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
Re: Stories of the Loa
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2022, 12:57:08 AM »
Madris Orundi and the wedding dance
Long ago in the distant past, Kurkva and the Earth were to be wed. The loa of the earth and the winds, such an event was a joyous event.  However in those days people did not know about dancing. However, without music and dance the wedding was just a ceremony. Kurkva and Earth wanted this day to be special. This was the joining of the wind and the sky together.

So they went to Madris Orundi, who helped to bring them together. They asked her
"Oh Madris Orundi, how could we make our day special."

To which she smiled and then said, "With drumming of thunder, and dance like the shaking of the earth. Let your love be unbound, let passion flow. This is your day for love, your day for dance and music. You already know the moves."

Though this inspired the happy couple, they were still unsure. After all, in those days who had heard of a dance at a wedding? Yet the time came when the two were to be joined in holy matrimony. At first the ceremony was like others in the world, without music and dance, however after their vows were said. They looked at Madris Orundi who just smiled at them.

Then they started to dance, and the sky itself thundered and the ground itself quaked. Yet no one was hurt, instead everyone was happy. Joy filled the room, not just for the couple but for everyone who had come to see the two join together in love, Tonthomba, Kobalamin, Lethede, Sekhelo, and many others who had come all started to join in the dance.

Everyone wished to experience such joy again after that night, so from here the tradition of dancing and music being a part of weddings and celebrations became widespread. With a simple act of helping one couple, Madris Orundi helped spread joy throughout the Loa. One simple act of kindness brought joy to all the Loa.

However, eventually one day the Earth would splinter into many different loa. Kurkva grieves and still grieves. Yet still every now Kurkva will dance that very same dance. Though the Earth apart from his beloved, and for a moment the joy and light of his youth returns to him, and with that the storms are more gentle and the wind far more pleasant. Such happy memories must be cherished for, to bring joy to those we love, even after we part.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2022, 06:07:25 PM »
Bouki and the Mangos
One day while traveling through the land, Bouki came across a man who was glum and sad. This troubled Bouki, so he asked him.

"Oh mister, why are you so glum?" Asked the fox spirit.
"Oh I wanted some mangos to feed my family, but I can't reach them to get them for my family." Replied the glum man.
Now Bouki is always ready to lend a helping hand, so he replied. "Why, I will get you the mangoes, mister."

The man and Bouki went to where the mango tree was, and there was still some left high in the branches. So with a hop and a jump, Bouki climbed to the tree and took out a saw that he had in his knapsack. Bouki always keeps knicknacks in his sack to help him get into trouble.

So he started to saw away at the tree's branch. And one. Two. three. The tree fell, and with it the man got the Mangos for his son. However now Bouki was stuck in the tree. You see in Bouki's excitement to get the mangos for the man, he ignored the bees that had built a nest in the tree and now they were mad.

The queen bee came to Bouki and asked him. "Why did you destroy our home? You could have got the mangos without destroying our home."
"Oh. I didn't think about that." Replied Bouki.
"You should learn a lesson for your trouble." At which point the bees started to swarm around Bouki.

Bouki cried out in pain at this. Now lucky for Bouki, his cousin Longears was strolling through the area. When he heard the yelp, he came rushing to his cousin's aid. "Oh, Bouki, what did you get yourself into this time?" he asked.

"I was just trying to get some mangos to help feed people." Bouki said.
"And destroyed our home in the process!" Replied the Queen Bee.
"Bouki." Longears said with a sigh.
"Oh, Majesty, how is this? If you stop stinging my cousin and let him come down. We will build you a new home. And he will leave you alone." Longears explained.
"You promise?" the Queen Bee asked.
"Of course." Longears said.

The bees let Bouki down, and he then helped to build them a new home. A brand new beehive in the trees. After they put up the bee's home. Longears looked to his cousin and told him.
"Bouki, you must be careful. It is good that you wanted to help feed that family, but destroying the home of others in the process isn't good. It isn't right to hurt others, even when you are trying to help others."
"I am sorry, I won't let it happen again."
"I hope not." Longears said. Though he knew something like this would happen again. Bouki's nature was to do good without thinking, and it was up to Longears to rescue him from his troubles.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 01:48:42 PM »
Sehkelo and Ulwaddithri

Long ago in the past, evil spirits plagued the land. Evil spirits who sought to spread sickness, illness, disease, and famine, death and destruction. There were monstrous Crocodiles, the size of ships. Giant flies the size of houses, Shambling corpses that refused the call of the Lord of the Dead, and the greatest of the evil spirits, was that of Ulwaddithri.

The Lord of the Dead, while he likes the quiet dead, he didn't like the evil spirits who were consuming mankind. Death may be cruel, but it is also to be respected and with these evil spirits, the dead were no longer given their proper respect and burial. So he called for a council among the greatest of the Loa. There Kurkva, Madris Orundi, Ovun Borundir, Brahmbei, Lethede, Sehkelo, Tonthumba, even the wild Ohuwaghnn came. They were called to decide how best to handle the evil spirits.

"We should let them be. The wilds are best." Said Ohuwaghnn.
"We can not leave them be, they roam far and wide, and they don't stop at humans. They strike at even your beloved snakes and crocodiles." Lethede remarked. Lethede who travels the world was able to see the spirits. This prompted a hiss from Ohuwaghnn, but he acknowledged the Lady of the Roads' point.
"What about fire? Evil can not abide darkness." Chimed Tonthumba, always eager to lend a helping hand when it comes to fire.
"Fire may be strong, but many like the waters. And as we all know water beats fire." replied Kurkva with a sad expression upon his face.
The debate like this raged for some time as they questioned each other how to best defeat the Loa. Then finally Sehkelo spoke up.
"I Shall fight them. And I shall fight their leader, Ulwaddithri."
This caused everyone to go silent. Ulwaddithri is a loa, evil and terrible, but one of them. Yet they had to do something. So they agreed.
"Yet I can not do it alone." She responded. To this Ovun promised his weapons to her cause. The Maiden of the Swamp, offered to provide healing. Each offers something to help Sehkelo on the quest to fight Ulwaddithri.

So together the Loa set off to fight Ulwaddithri. There they fought many evil monsters. All who had to be destroyed for they were plaguing the land. Eventually after many battles with the evil spirits, they made their way to Ulwaddithri's lair. A hideous land of sickness and disease, rotting death, the carnage of destruction.
"Only one may enter." spoke the consuming one.

While the others felt this was a trap, the magic on the lair meant that only one could truly enter. So Sehkelo entered the lair alone. After fighting together with the other loa, she was by herself. Moving through the halls of the lair, she found herself at Ulwaddithri's chamber. There a great battle ensued. Darkness and light, death against life. On and on the battle went, minutes turned to hours and hours turned to days. She drove her spear into the roof and the sun bathed Ulwaddithri in its glorious radiant light. At this Sehkelo stabbed Ulwaddithri and defeated her.

"You may have defeated me. But I shall return. I always return." Ulwaddithri hissed.
"Then we shall do battle again and again. But the evil spirits under your command will no longer roam free." Sehkelo responded as Ulwaddithri fled into the darkness.

As she returned the other Loa cheered. Sehkelo was already the Queen of the Sky but now she was the Queen in Gold. From here the other loa agreed that it was necessary to teach humanity how to live. For Ulwaddithri was right, she would return, creeping in like a shadow. So Ovun and Sehkelo taught humanity how to defend each other from them. Knowledge of healing was the gift of the Maiden of the Swamp. The Lord of the dead told mankind how to perform the rituals so that the dead are shown proper respect. Lethede taught about hospitality.

And justice, nobility, duty to protect others and fight for a righteous cause. That was what Sekhelo taught. For more than just strength of arms like Ovun taught, it was these qualities that would prevent Ulwaddithri from returning. So remember the teachings of Sehkelo, and you too can shine the rays of the sun against Ulwaddithri's minions and help keep us safe from the consuming one. And remember even the Queen in Gold needed help on her quest.