Author Topic: Warmage gets Arcane Spell Failure while using light shield and light armour  (Read 496 times)

trsoul61

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Outlander

Name: Mel Cottonbyrd (Player: trsoul), currently lvl 4
Where: Ongoing, character bug
When: All the time
What: I have created a warmage, and it is said there's no arcane failure penalty with light armour and light weapons. Also, I've got shield proficiency and armoured mage. Nonetheless, I get an arcane spell failure of at least 5% or more even when using e.g. a light shield (in this case "Shield of Dawn")
Recreate: Each time I fight with the light shield equipped, spells fail since I have a 5% spell failure. Wearing light armour (currently "Warrior's Tunic" does not affect spells, failure percentage of the tunic is 0% - using studded leather armour which is light armour gives the 20% spell failure it says in the description)

I have relogged, re-equipped, but even after a server reset the negative effect persists. Done a debug-message (was written to server log successfully).
If needed, I can provide you with a zipped set of screenshots of the char in game showing stats, feats etc.

Thank you very much for your help!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 04:18:40 PM by trsoul61 »

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Warmages suffer from ACP from shields; they just ignore the ACP from light armor (or medium/heavy eventually). It's working as intended.

trsoul61

• Outlander
Warmages suffer from ACP from shields; they just ignore the ACP from light armor (or medium/heavy eventually). It's working as intended.

Oh, alright. But as I wrote in my edited text (sorry for the editing), I found some light armour (Studded Leather Armour) that gives me even a 20% spell failure. I thought those 20% would be ignored.

remnar

• Dark Lord
  • kill, corpsehide, girlboss

Is that so?  The wiki says that they do not take spell failure while using Small Shields

This is correct and stated in the in game class description as well.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 07:40:03 PM by remnar »

Read my guide: https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=62555.0
and come to my clinic in Vallaki!

Ryujin

• The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Dark Lord
I can confirm: Warmages do not get Arcane Spell Failure from light shields. Never have. My lv 18 warmage never had at least.
Active: Naexalim Alearaheal.
Shelved: Chen Mei, Corin Bluespire, Osirion Shivan, Dukgeth, Valathar El'lyn. Closured: Cyrun Mask

trsoul61

• Outlander
I can confirm: Warmages do not get Arcane Spell Failure from light shields. Never have. My lv 18 warmage never had at least.

Sooooo... thinking again could it be I sometimes fail when casting because I am very low level (4 that is currently)

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power

Sooooo... thinking again could it be I sometimes fail when casting because I am very low level (4 that is currently)

Hardly.

Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

TacticalFerret

There are other items that impose arcane spell failure as well. Some jewelry immediately comes to mind. The exhausted condition also imposes this penalty. Are neither of these present?

trsoul61

• Outlander
There are other items that impose arcane spell failure as well. Some jewelry immediately comes to mind. The exhausted condition also imposes this penalty. Are neither of these present?

No, nothing else present.

MatticusCaesar

• Dark Power
  • Beware the Hinvasion!

Agreed.  The normal calculation of ASF does show up on the character sheet, but it gets ignored so long as the armor is light (or medium later on) and the shield is small.

My lvl 15 Warmage says so.
Currently Playing:
Conner o'Clan Cunningham, Cando Weaselbite

On the sidelines but ready for action:
Tychon Corynian, Bjarna Blitzthorn, Remo Fenberry, Yerrith Greenstone, Gryllus Athens, Pristi Feld

trsoul61

• Outlander

Agreed.  The normal calculation of ASF does show up on the character sheet, but it gets ignored so long as the armor is light (or medium later on) and the shield is small.

My lvl 15 Warmage says so.

So I take it those ASFs are just due to the nasty standard DnD skuldggery (aka as "misses") and has nothing to do with the armour equipped...

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
It would say spell failed in the combat log. Missed touch attacks report a miss, not a spell failure.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.