Author Topic: La Marguerite Dessinée  (Read 1278 times)

bunnie

• Head Empty
  • Gendarmerie
  • Dark Power
  • what is him think
La Marguerite Dessinée
« on: September 08, 2022, 02:03:42 PM »

LA MARGUERITE DESSINÉE   
Volume Glossary

1. Volume I (September 777)
2. Volume II (October 777)
3. Volume III (November 777)
4. Volume IV (January 778)

« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 07:07:36 PM by bunnie »

bunnie

• Head Empty
  • Gendarmerie
  • Dark Power
  • what is him think
September, 777
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2022, 02:39:07 AM »

LA MARGUERITE DESSINÉE
Journal de Mode et Culture

EDITORIAL
Bonjour à tous! With the bountiful richness of the autumnal months approaching, in flow an abundance of cosy designs for the garments of the lovely ladies and gentlemen within our fair coastal city of Port-à-Lucine. Colourful attire of warmer fabrics such as knitwear, imported fleece, and cashmere should be plentiful amidst our genteel folk. C’est fabuleux! Such gorgeously budding styles of dress shall be introduced in this, the very first publication of La Marguerite Dessinée; a most essential paper for the fashion and culture focused. Pour l'amour de la beauté!
— Mlle. Geneviève Ambroiseux, Editor & Illustrator

SEEKING CONTRIBUTORS
La Marguerite Dessinée seeks promising writers and benefactors who wish to contribute to our magazine, whether by word or other. Please write to Mlle. Geneviève Ambroiseux, our most enthusiastic editor, at her room in the Governor's Hotel if interested in such. Those who contribute their time and effort to La Marguerite Dessinée will be rewarded fairly. Merci beaucoup.

WITHIN THIS ISSUE
✧ On Her Dressing Table: La Vanité
✧ Couture Chic: Autumnal

ON HER DRESSING TABLE
La Vanité (y.777)

Dementlieuse marque Beau Monde’s most recent release of designer perfume, La Vanité, is a smoky-sweet fragrance for the cultured woman, created with various gorgeous imports of the distant Pharazia. It is said to be inspired by the exotic allure of that which is unknown, and was launched in the midst of the bitter winter of the Dementlieuse year 777. A heady amber-esque oil of perfume is held within a glinting speciality bottle of thin neck and billowing form, the fragrance’s title marked upon a neat silver label. The hinted top note of citrus, a rare treat in the desert wastes, fades delicately into the middling notes of heavy clove and resin, with the basal note of dark Pharazian wood clinging comfortably to the skin. Both the unique bottle and scent are personally designed and handcrafted by Beau Monde’s very own Éléonore Ambroiseux, granddaughter of the Baronet de Ambroiseux.
As the power of perfumery is so closely associated with domesticity and what is chic in the community, it is no surprise that very few fragrances in our fair city seem to smell of the distant; the unknown. The vast majority remain in our territory, but some of them do manage to pull off the feat considered impossible - they break away from the trends of our society and drift toward those unimagined. The latest of these wonderfully exotic compositions is Mlle. Éléonore Ambroiseux’s La Vanité for the label Beau Monde. With care not to over-announce its presence and stifle one’s companions, the fragrance is a rich, seamless blend of airy citrus and the smoky, dark scents of Pharazian nature. If you are one to partake in certain imported treats, the orange-lemony scent of La Vanité will be most familiar, recognized as part-sweet, part-sour, but wholly gorgeous in its delicate aroma. It is truly the very definition of breath-taking; making one gasp with excitement and delight at its unfamiliar composition. And gasp further you shall, as the longevity of this perfume is most rare – staying just perfect for hours on end. Such a thing marks an astonishing accomplishment, and is a definite compliment to the technical skill of its designer. This product is carried by the designer herself and may be inquired about via correspondence or a chance meeting with the mademoiselle in person.

Whether a common or genteel woman, do take it upon yourself to try this staggeringly beautiful new release and let yourself be transported to these lands most distant, of sand and citrus, where the air is heady. One's troubles move further and further out of sight and mind; and the newest adventure is when and where you want it to be. You settle down in your lodging and see a quaint censer of brass hanging from its alabaster ceiling. Emerging from the holes in its lid is a heavy, amber smoke, cascading to the ground like endless ribbons of fluttering fabrics. Close your eyes and just wait. Before too long, you’ll be enveloped by the allure of this scent, as will those lucky enough to be in your lovely company. If this is not the scent of far-off lands, I am unsure of what is.

(Beau Monde, La Vanité review based on sample of eau de parfum provided in 777. Fragrance tested on skin.)

Mlle. Geneviève Ambroiseux

COUTURE CHIC
Autumnal

Wondering what the big trends of fashion for the coming autumn shall be? As the lively heat of the Dementlieuse summer fades, fashion insiders are already prepared for the next season. Get ahead of your peers with the most favourable trends to keep an eye on. With cosy garments draped in fox fur and mink, avid enjoyers of a more pared back, rustic style are well catered for this autumn. This, of course, does not mean the fashion-forward who favour a bit of colourful flair have anything to worry about - and those wishing to simply bolster their wardrobe are also likely to find lovely new pieces crafted of gabardine or imported ghati yarn. The suggestion of long gloves of colours contrasting to one's outfit is definitely not one to ignore. Nonetheless, one ought to always remember to simply have fun. Fashion is meant to be a joyous experience, and at last we are able to dress up and parade around in our favourite late-year outfits before the weather grows far too chilly.

For the delicate woman, the garments of the season compose of autumnal tones and heavy, warm fabrics such as brocade. The trained manteau takes a step toward warmth, covering more of one’s shoulders and layered with a scarf or shawl of either fur or woven ghati. A close-fitting bodice shall keep one warm, joining to a gathered and embroidered skirt of carmine, sepia, or similar fitting tones. Bodice-sleeves are cut lower to overlap with one’s gloves, which shall most often come to the elbow, or mid-forearm. A small fontange or fur hat tends to accompany the outfit, as do heeled boots of expensive leather. The stomacher shall remain tightly woven, though both the ribbons and embroidery may take on a more comfortable theme, expected to be coloured in a manner that compliments one's dress rather than diverts attention from such. Personally, I would suggest an extra layering below the stomacher and bodice to ensure both warmth, and the smoothness of the fit. Jewellery finds a new affability in the importation of various stones of glistening amber, those that may be set within silver or brass, depending on one's preference.

For the most fashion-forward man, brocade fabrics and warmer lace cravats make their expected return, as do the heavier justaucorps reminiscent of the winter months. Woollen breeches may be spotted when the waistcoat lays unbuttoned, or justaucorps rest unfastened, the prior of which may be more of a commonality as it is not fashionable for any gentleman to go wholly buttoned up in any season. Silvered lace trim and embroidery are most dominant on the season's coat seams and edges, and one may considered this the most in fashion print. The vogue for handsomely tied ribbons persists, and one may even spy some behind the genteel man's cravat.

One's outfits, of course, should be of colours that compliment one another in the style of the season. Rustic creams, browns, and other colours that may be described as ‘feuille morte’ are to make a definite come back, homely in comparison to the brighter colours of the summer months. The more vibrant of us mustn't fret, nonetheless, as wonderful scarlets, peaches, and other similar vivid colours are also found most chic for the time.

UPCOMING OCCASIONS
✧ September 10th: Le Grand Tournoi!
✧ September 12th: The Scents of Sin!
✧ September 14th: Painting Class at the Orchid & Willow!
✧ September 18th: An Homage to Stella Seifert!
✧ September 23rd: White Day Ball!
✧ September 25th: Meeting of the Council of Brilliance!
✧ September 28th: Afternoon Tea at the Rose!

Spoiler: OOC • show
1. "The Auction Block" by Charles D. Gibson
2. "Late Bustle Dresses" by Parismode (nos. 52, 47 & 38)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 11:45:06 PM by bunnie »

bunnie

• Head Empty
  • Gendarmerie
  • Dark Power
  • what is him think
October, 777
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2022, 11:24:41 PM »

LA MARGUERITE DESSINÉE

EDITORIAL
Bonjour à tous! A most wonderful autumn day it is to announce the newest volume of our dearest La Marguerite Dessinée. An edition that is filled to the brim with some lovely submissions, and appraisals of the various cultural affairs that have occurred since the last penning - including the various dos and don'ts of traditional gala fashion. Truly, this is a release one is sure to enjoy. Pour l'amour de la beauté!

SEEKING CONTRIBUTORS
La Marguerite Dessinée seeks promising writers and benefactors who wish to contribute to our magazine, whether by word or other. Please write to Mlle. Geneviève Ambroiseux, our most enthusiastic editor, at her room in the Governor's Hotel if interested in such. Those who contribute their time and effort to La Marguerite Dessinée will be rewarded fairly. Merci beaucoup.

WITHIN THIS ISSUE
✧ Places To Be: The Orchid & Willow
✧ Portraits in Words: Joséphine Périgord
✧ Couture Chic: Bal Masqué
✧ A Worrying Trend: Superstition

PLACES TO BE
The Orchid & Willow

An establishment and academy built around open inclusivity in the arts, The Orchid and Willow’s most recent endeavour invited visitors to partake in a free painting class where the students captured a portrait ‘from life’ – said to be the first class of many to come. The class was taught by The Orchid and Willow’s owner and resident art instructor, Monsieur Virgil Dragunescu-Istrate, an accomplished artist in his own right whose works shall be on display at the upcoming art showing on the bay. Though the class took place upon the fourteenth of September, a time that has since passed, more are said to be scheduled in the upcoming months. Nonetheless, a wonderful turnout arrived on the day, a testament to our city’s appreciation for the arts; a sentiment and turnout that shall definitely be repeated when next the academy organizes an affair.
Both my elder sister and myself took the time to partake in the class held at The Orchid and Willow, one that was greatly enjoyable in my personal opinion. With the reverence of the arts being so closely tied into our lovely culture, it was certainly not a surprise to see a healthy attendance, with even our dearest newly promoted Caporal Gabriel d’Aubry partaking in the socialization that comes with such an affair. A welcoming atmosphere and comfortable, chic décor made the time spent within the academy an absolute blast, and this was even before the class actually began. I do say, wholeheartedly, that it was a most perfect introduction to the technique of oils.

I shall begin with the fact that Monsieur Virgil Dragunescu-Istrate, an excellent artist, makes an even more excellent tutor who holds wondrous workshops. The course was well run and not overbearing, attention and appreciation paid in a manner definitely encouraging. The choice of subject at this class was a simple bouquet within a vase, and yet the works of art that were produced by the students were a magnificent spectrum of unique portraits. I do adore how the individual can create something so similar in subject, yet so different in portrayal. This, of course, is one of the reasons why I dearly adore attending workshops – and will unquestionably be returning to The Orchid and Willow to partake in the next. I would also urge you, darling reader, to take the hour or two out of your day to do the same, as it would be a wholesome experience to drown out the boredom of one's genteel day-to-day.

As a finality, seeing Madame Violeta Dragunescu-Istrate, an incredibly talented theatrical artist, in attendance was a true joy, even if expected. Both herself and her husband do bring such a comforting and uplifting feel to their establishment and the arts as a whole. Their encouragement is something one should appreciate, genuinely, as they foster those who would otherwise not find an interest in such. I would only wish to see more of their ilk in our reputable city, where the culture is so delicately cared for.

PORTRAITS IN WORDS
Joséphine Périgord

In this recurring feature, we feature a distinguished socialite of the City of Lights - someone whose grace, refinement, and poise inspires us at La Marguerite Dessinée.

Our first spotlight is for none other than the talented Mademoiselle Joséphine Périgord. Born in Souragne, the Mademoiselle has made a name for herself as an actress and musician upon nearly every stage in the city. Her talents include ballet, cello, operatic and musical performance as well as classical acting. With such a wide range, it is no surprise that she is in popular demand, oscillating between the established cultural institution of the Theatre de la Cathedral and the dazzling displays at the Fleur d'Ambre.

You will recognize the mademoiselle by her canary yellow and purple silks. Though she maintains the style of her heritage, we want to celebrate her seasonal shifts in dress. No matter what the occasion, she is a delight of colour with the cut of gown to match the occasion. In particular, she adorns the voluminous skirts and parasol with a grace that is the envy of many, more timidly tending mesdemoiselles.

Be sure to sight the Souragnian Butterfly in all her glory!

Mme. Shrixenna of Lueltar

COUTURE CHIC
Bal Masqué

I have always been fascinated by the intricate ins and outs of fashion in the world of masquerades, whether themed or not. The delicate and mysterious nature of obscuring one’s face when attending a soirée lends not only to judgment of the garmentry, but to the height of the individual’s taste. Such fashionable, wearable art was put on display quite recently, even, at the gala held for the holiday of White Day which was a joy in itself to attend. Nonetheless, it would be a crime to not share the often complex details that lead up into the creation of one’s masked garb, lest such things are embarrassingly overstepped at the next gala. After all, I would not wish for my peers to be demeaned for simple, easily remedied blunders in their costuming. It is thus that we delve into the elaborate stitches that hold together the inner workings within masquerade fashion, beginning with the ornamented venetian mask poised daintily upon every attendee's face.

The mask considered chic in our current year is certainly that designed in the manner titled as ‘Columbina’; a half-mask decorated in a variety of ornate jewels, feathers, and fabrics. Often painted in shades of silver or white, it is often held in place by a silken ribbon or stick, which would be held in the hand and raised to the face to obscure it. Another mask, hailing from the exquisite nation of Borca, is known as the mask of ‘Gatto’, or ‘cat’. Unsurprisingly, such a mask holds the shape of a cat’s face, with the characteristic pointy ears, narrow eyes and button nose. Silly and unique, it is promptly becoming one of my personal favourite options for a masquerade, and will certainly garner both looks and attention from any other gala attendee. It, too, is affixed to one's face with a soft silken ribbon, tied behind the head. I only hope that the famed mascherari designers of our ally will produce even more distinctive and individualistic masks in the coming years.

On to garments, we centre our focus upon that of the most fashion-forward woman. One absolutely ought to consider the colouring that will best suit and complement their chosen mask and accessories, as well as the actual noted theme of the masquerade. For example, it would be a dire misstep to wear something as ill-fitting as a bright, summery gown to a gala of which is themed around winter, or wearing a piece of golden jewellery to any soirée at all. The Dementlieuse manteau, as it has been for such a time, is absolutely trendy for these outings. They can be altered and tailored to suit, though a more refined, high-necked chemise accompanied by a woven lace collar, or bow has come more and more into fashion as more masquerades have been attended. Hair should be worn high, adorned prettily as one would expect in their evening wear, and – depending on how one feels – could be powdered in light tones that flatter the outfit as a whole.

Overall, the avid party-goer must simply remember to pay attention to the theme itself, lest they find themselves gauche or out-of-touch.

A WORRYING TREND
Superstition

Though the City of Lights and the University of Port-à-Lucine remain bright lights of intellect in a world that is too often mired in ignorance, it has struck me of late that credulous superstition has begun to creep into what should be serious discourse. Loath as I am to wade into public debate, when such thoughts begin to enter into theatrical reviews, I do find myself compelled to voice my opinions.

Whatever fairy tales and superstitions less educated nations and outlanders may believe in, any rational examination should show them to be no more than stories- Works of fiction. It is the height of foolishness to look upon theatrical fiction performed on stage and talk about it is as though the concepts and magic shows taking place have any reality to them.

I found a similar lack of scientific rigor in the recent debates on whether some kind of magic license should be instituted. People uneducated in the arcane sciences claiming that the effects arcanists create are produced from “nothing” when the average arcane scientist will happily bore you to tears with an in depth explanation of spell components and the length of training involved. Perhaps, in some sense, these growing superstitions can be credited to the great lengths performers on stage go to in order to hide the details with sleight of hand and make magic shows seem truly miraculous, but it would do a disservice to the public not to remind people now and then that such feats are constrained to the stage, and that the arcane sciences are in reality much more limited than a superstitious outlander or well practiced stage magician would have one believe.

While it is truly flattering that some people become so enthralled in a performance that they, in the moment, believe what is taking place on stage might be somehow real- It would be troubling to me if people left the theatre under the genuine impression that monsters and demons and the like are anything more than flights of fancy.

Please, bring your flights of fancy and your fairy tales with you to performances. Allow yourself to believe in what is happening on stage in the moment- But at the end of a show, don’t forget to put such childish notions away once more.

I also highly recommend “The Arcane Illusion” by the Council of Brilliance’s Wymmer Drukker, for those looking for a view of the arcane grounded more in science and less in superstition. It is without question one of my favourite books.

Mlle. Dove

RED VARDO TRADERS
Port-à-Lucine, Quartier Marchand

Red Vardo Quality Magic Bags are the latest trend in Dementlieuse fashion. Not only do they feature a practical use through enhanced magical weight reduction, but they are positively adorable. They come in all shapes and sizes, from handbags to pouches and bandoliers. Every velvety, smooth sample of leather is made by the artisan tanners and leatherworkers employed by the Red Vardo Traders.

Each bag is enchanted painstakingly by hand by erudite magicians of the highest grade, with both care and consideration. There is no other trade organization that offers anything similar to these precious handbags. I dare say that these designer satchels are a necessity for every household, lest you become a pariah. 

For the low price of three thousand solars, obtaining one is as easy as making an appointment with a member of the Red Vardo Traders.

TOURNOI D'ÉCHECS
Faculty of Law, University of Dementlieu

A most enticing event, the Tournoi d'échecs is an open chess tournament open to any and all who wish to attend, providing – of course – that they adhere to the high and genteel standards of demeanour that are expected at the Core's premier learning institution. To be held on the first day of October of our Dementlieuse year 777, the tourney is an affair that ought to not be missed!

With multiple prizes within the thousands and ten-thousands will be awarded on the day to those placing in first, second and third within the tournament, it is sure to have a perfectly splendid turn out. Spectatorship, wonderfully, shall be free. The entry fee is priced at a low five-thousand solars for those who wish to compete, and is expected at the time of registration.

Madame Shrixenna of Lueltar will be accepting these registrations up until the scheduled time, on the day of the tourney.

UPCOMING OCCASIONS
✧ October 1st: Open Chess Tournament!
✧ October 2nd: The Trends of Autumn!
✧ October 3rd: Afternoon Tea at Cézar's!
✧ October 6th: Poetry Night!
✧ October 8th: Théâtre des Terreurs!
✧ October 9th: Art Showing on the Bay!
✧ October 15th: Liar's Night!
✧ October 21st: High Tea & Art!
✧ October 22nd: La Fleur d'Ambre: Fête d'Anniversaire!
✧ October 23rd: The Phantom's Ball!

1. "The Proposal" by Charles D. Gibson
2. "Women's Fashion Plates" by La Journal des Demoiselles
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 09:52:45 AM by bunnie »

bunnie

• Head Empty
  • Gendarmerie
  • Dark Power
  • what is him think
November, 777
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2022, 10:07:19 AM »

LA MARGUERITE DESSINÉE

EDITORIAL
Bonjour à tous! It is my deepest pleasure to release the most recent volume of La Marguerite Dessinée to our genteel public. With winter's chill looming on the not-so-distant horizon, one may only hope that the upcoming months shall be as dearly beguiling and gorgeously fashionable as those recently passed. Eyes ought to be kept out for these end of season trends, my friends! Pour l'amour de la beauté!

SEEKING CONTRIBUTORS

WITHIN THIS ISSUE
✧ An Evening Spent in a Perilous Garden: On Borcan Culture
✧ Portraits in Words: The Cultural Advisor, Sieur Regnier
✧ A Turn of Events: Liar's Night
✧ In Remembrance of Général Gaston Virieux

AN EVENING SPENT IN A PERILOUS GARDEN
On Borcan Culture

The Dementlieuse recognize high art when they see it, and it is for this reason that they often look towards Borca when searching for something to draw upon from abroad. This trade goes both ways, of course, as all commerce does; moreover, there is certainly a reason why Borcan fashion strongly emulates the styles of the Dementlieuse, even if we Borcans tend to limit ourselves to tints and shades. We frankly are not so good at it ourselves, and so we copy the haute couture seen in Dementlieu's salons and make slight alterations for ourselves.

The Borcan creative spirit shines, however, when we look outside of fashion trends. Most famously, Borcan composers like the great masters Cezar Vercezzo and Don Pablo tend to feature heavily on the stages of Dementlieu's Grand Opera Nationale, most beloved for their rich and full-sounding arias. Of course, these “tragédies en musique”  are also known to linger heavily on the themes of envy and the wrath it eventually invites, frequently beginning with an innocent affair (or a rift between friends over a woman, to use the example of Vercezzo's “Lotharia”) and ending with a stage awash in blood. While some might argue the action in the last-act and the grisly ending that often follows is merely a somewhat crude way to keep the audience's interest, I would argue it does serve a purpose: it symbolizes how dangerous the twin vices of envy and wrath can be, and how the chaos they introduce can cut many a life short.

But let us look at other stages here in the city. The Théâtre de la Cathédrale's present manager is, herself, a Borcan, and it shows. She and her assistant, Mlle. Dove, can frequently be seen drawing upon the motifs of the 'diabolic match', with themes of temptation and the pursuit of power heedless of the cost heavily featured in her troupe's ovuere. “The Trials of the Saintess” was written with the anchorite being cast in an unfavourable light at first, with the intent of making the tempter's words seem all the more appealing, making them strike a chord not just with the titular character, but with the audience as well. The ending seems ambiguous, as the audience does not see the end-result of the saintess' ritual, but the anchorite tells the audience all they need to know about how it shall play out, as though he has seen it many times before. There can be little doubt about it, even though it was made in Dementlieu and was performed upon a Dementlieuse stage, it is a decidedly Borcan work.

Of course, Borca's greatest achievements have been to architecture and to sculpture. With the notable exception of the legendary Lars Skolsson, most of the finest sculptors come from Borca. Though most of the works they produce tend to be for the Church of Ezra and reflect various pieces of the faith's iconography. Wrought in marble, most of these statues maintain silent vigil against the Legions of the Night inside the breath-takingly beautiful Great Cathedral of Levkarest, also rendered in marble in the friezes of the same.

Speaking of sculptures, I very much look forward to holding an exhibition of my own works sometime soon. Keep your eyes open and stay watchful for a future date and time!

Mlle. Roxana Barozzi

PORTRAITS IN WORDS
The Cultural Advisor, Sieur Regnier

In this month’s issue, I would like to feature a true gentleman and bastion of our city: Sieur Regnier, our esteemed cultural advisor.

He is a man with many different layers, many of which so many denizens of the city are not privy to. My sister and I had the gracious honor of spending an evening of conversation with the generous councilor, at his humble invitation.  Though he is a private man, he also stands as the epitome of what Dementlieuse nobleman should strive to be. I speak on behalf of his personal character and good will, as someone who is multifaceted in his approach to his governance in the city: a veteran who has fought against Falkovnia and has lived as a bastion of noblesse oblige.

During our welcome visit to his wonderful home, we had a fruitful and informative discussion and became privy to someone who was more than just a councilor. He is a charming individual, as humble as he is generous. As many of you may be aware, Sieur Regnier extended an offer to host Primeur at his estate this year. In addition, he kindly bought one of my paintings for well over the asked price at the recent Showing on the Bay. Though, even so, such kind and amicable acts hardly do justice for the breadth of his character. Just as a painting can only be truly experienced in person, as a good wine can only truly be savored in kind, he is a man that one can only truly know through meeting personally.

Many may see a duty-bound man, rigid and steadfast with honor and traditional beliefs. However, my sister and I have instead come to see a man vigilant in his values: a conservative bastion and an inspiration of what it means to be both chevalier and Dementlieuse nobility.

Mlle. Éléonore Ambroiseux

A TURN OF EVENTS
Liar's Night (y.777)

From varied utterings, it is to my belief that the yearly 'Liar's Night' hosted by a Mademoiselle Nix Erraverunt is an event most foreign to our gentlepeople; yet this does not make it unenjoyable. Celebrated by donning elaborate costumes of supernatural and frightful beings, it is similar to our illustrious costume galas, though lacking the sense of maximal formality. Thus, a wonderful volume of rather extravagant and out-there costumes were observed upon the night; a few of which I would most certainly deem as teetering upon the edge between avant-garde and overt scandal. Still – it is a terribly enjoyable affair of which I myself am grateful to Mademoiselle Erraverunt for taking the time out of her years to both arrange and host. One can only hope to see the repetition in the next coming year, and onwards after such.
On the night of the fifteenth of October, I arrived at the Fêtes Champêtres most excited. Many of my most favourite of faces were in attendance, hidden away behind their monstrous masks yet gleeful even before the celebration began. Our charming hostess swung open the grounds' large gates with an eerie creak, dressed as a darling magister with a squid for a head; an unsettling fairy-tale creature of what I believe is named an 'illithid'. With one's standards set already so high by the lovely costuming, I was only further surprised by the gorgeous decoration of which had transformed the fairgrounds. Pumpkins, graves, and a maze-game where one counted skulls! Just wonderful; and clearly an aspect representative of Mademoiselle Erraverunt's superb hosting.

Such careful thought and planning extended even unto the menu of drinks, in which there were many – and I rather do mean many – unique and unheard of cocktails and mixers free to order. Mine own beverage, dubbed 'The Fires of Perfidus', was a cinnamon whiskey with a terribly thrilling twist! A flame atop as it is served, which must die out before it is ready to drink. Truly magnificent, and a delicious alcohol to boot. It accompanied me to the first of my visited festivities; a pumpkin carving of which I did not participate, but instead was keen to watch. Silly little faces lit up by candles within each pumpkin promptly as attendees passed through. A rather interesting display of both social entertainment and artistry!

After my perusal about the fairgrounds, and a smidge of dancing to a gorgeous song performed by Mademoiselle Roxana Barozzi, the announcement of the costume contest's finality rung out. Voting had occurred over the whole night, of course, with the hostess flittering about collecting such, though it was much to my surprise when I was called upon as one of the final three for my costuming as one of those quaint Akiri mummies. Myself, my sister, who was dolled up as a vampiric dame, and a Monsieur 'Evenin' stood upon the stage as the announcement of the contest's winner was made. The Monsieur, most deservedly, took the first place sum for his really rather intricate and realistic costume of which I believe was a 'minotaur' – a fantastical creature that is both half-bull, and half-man – whereas my sister and I both tied for second place. A joyous outcome, I would say!

To wrap it all up, I would first wish to restate my outright appreciation for Mademoiselle Erraverunt and her work on the night. It was a wonderful taste of the culture outside of our nation, and one I look forward to peering into further in the future. Thank you so very much for making this ever so rare experience a reality. I hope we are all able to attend and enjoy the festivities next year.

IN REMEMBRANCE OF
Général Gaston Virieux

It is with great sadness that we announce the following. Our genteel nation sorrowfully lost a fine pillar of its community on Sunday, the sixteenth of October, 777, when our most honoured General Gaston Virieux passed peacefully away during La Fleur d'Ambre's session of debate.

In all his years, the General's contributions to our fair society were many; as he served often not only our République but the gentry within with exceeding dedication. He was, and remains still, attributed to the greatest victory over Falkovnian men since General Pieter Delapont, a grand feat that shall be echoed and praised for many years to come.

His legacy shall live on in the hearts and minds of all he interacted with, as well as those he reached and yet never met. May he rest easily in the beauty of Paradise.

Vive la République.

RED VARDO TRADERS
Port-à-Lucine, Quartier Marchand

Red Vardo Quality Magic Bags are the latest trend in Dementlieuse fashion. Not only do they feature a practical use through enhanced magical weight reduction, but they are positively adorable. They come in all shapes and sizes, from handbags to pouches and bandoliers. Every velvety, smooth sample of leather is made by the artisan tanners and leatherworkers employed by the Red Vardo Traders.

Each bag is enchanted painstakingly by hand by erudite magicians of the highest grade, with both care and consideration. There is no other trade organization that offers anything similar to these precious handbags. I dare say that these designer satchels are a necessity for every household, lest you become a pariah. 

For the low price of three thousand solars, obtaining one is as easy as making an appointment with a member of the Red Vardo Traders.

THE ORCHID AND WILLOW
Port-à-Lucine, Quartier Savant

An establishment built around open inclusivity in the arts, The Orchid and Willow is an artistic academy open to any and all who wish to learn, participate, or guide others in their path about the various mediums. With a troupe of admired and skilled instructors, events and classes range from theatre, to visual arts, to even dance.

With multiple happenings occurring each month, it is not a surprise that the academy is promptly becoming a favoured place for artists and their appreciators. Entry fees are completely non-existent as events are held for the benefit of all who need, a tribute to the accessible and welcoming nature of the darling co-owners and staff.

Do not be afraid to send any questions or worries to the Orchid and Willow's premises at Shop I of the Quartier Savant.

UPCOMING OCCASIONS
✧ November 6th: Port-à-Lucine's Tournament!
✧ November 7th: Grand Opening of L'Oiseau Bleu!
✧ November 11th: An Artist's Introduction: Sculpting Class!
✧ November 12th: Primeur Wine Festival!
✧ November 13th: A Most Generous Life: Art Show!
✧ November 18th: Le Théâtre de la Cathédrale: Casting Call!
✧ November 26th: The Wyrmsbreath Presents: A Vision of the Future!
✧ November 28th: Alisaie Goulet's 'A Fall Debut'!

1. "Gardening in December" by Cassell’s Family Magazine, 1890-91
2. "New Year's Masquerade Costumes" by Unknown Magazine (1863-1896)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 12:20:10 AM by bunnie »

bunnie

• Head Empty
  • Gendarmerie
  • Dark Power
  • what is him think
January, 778
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 12:17:44 AM »
A joyous new blooming of dainty magazines, brightly coloured and painstakingly illustrated, begins as the month comes to a close.
They are distributed in neat little piles throughout the more affluent quarters of Port-à-Lucine.

LA MARGUERITE DESSINÉE

EDITORIAL
Bonjour à tous! And most joyous Dementlieuse new year to all. It is with many an apology of absence that I release the first gazette edition of the freshly blossomed year of 778. I burst with pride, nonetheless, at all that this month's publication shall include. Many thanks are extended to all who write, read, and enjoy La Marguerite Dessinée. Here is to a prosperous and bountiful year! Pour l'amour de la beauté!
— Dame Geneviève Chaboteaux, Editor & Illustrator

SEEKING CONTRIBUTORS
La Marguerite Dessinée seeks promising writers and benefactors who wish to contribute to our magazine, whether by word or other. Please write to Dame Geneviève Chaboteaux, our dearest editor, at her office within the Musée du Port-à-Lucine if interested in such. Those who contribute their time and effort to La Marguerite Dessinée will be rewarded fairly. Merci beaucoup.

WITHIN THIS ISSUE
✧ Ma Page Nouvelle: A Poem by Arsène
✧ Portraits in Words: Lucrèce de Tabouillet
✧ Encyclopaedia Botanica: On Markovian Flora
✧ The Artistry Of The Pianoforte

MA PAGE NOUVELLE
A Poem by Arsène

The page is turned. A sheet of white anew,     
its crispness felt between my pale, soft hands.
A promise forged by absence, yet to be.           

A vow made sour from blotches black, which bleed
  on fresh, white parchment; sullied oath this be!
  From pages turned long since seeps ichor dark,

A stain upon this sheet of white anew.

— Arsène

PORTRAITS IN WORDS
Lucrèce de Tabouillet, Vicomte de Sarbagne

Let us take a moment to reflect on the proud House de Tabouillet and the esteemed Vicomte de Sarbagne, Lucréce de Tabouillet. I have heard tales of plenty of the bountiful vineyards of Sarbagne, and the quiet and deserved splendour they have enjoyed over the recent quiet years in Dementlieu. The sumptuous vineyards of Sarbagne are something that I have heard quite much of as a young woman growing up in Chateaufaux. Many of us might have heard stories of wondrous Sarbagne, which draw the vivid image of its greenery spanning its many fields, of its bounty which lends itself to succulent Dementlieuse wines. Though, such fictions do not do the true Sarbagne justice in how it has prospered under Monsieur le Vicomte, Lucrèce de Tabouillet.

Even more noble than what Sarbagne yields to our fair country, though, is the commitment House de Tabouillet has shown to the Serene Republic over its proud many years of service to our fair state. In my modest youth, I have heard of no man more noble than the Monsieur le Vicomte, Lucréce de Tabouillet, whose many sons have fought for the integrity of Dementlieu during the civil war. The true strength and leadership of the Vicomte's noble bloodline, however, lies in the decision to make tough choices for one's family over the years, and for one's country. And fewer men of such gentle birth has given what he has for both his family and his country.

I ask that Port-a-Lucine take a moment to admire the Vicomte for his and his family's successes and their sacrifices. Seldom can I say such a man of his caliber is what all men of the republic should aspire to be: a symbol of fidelity, a bastion of prosperity, and a man of honour. May we wish him good health and many years to come, and shall his wisdom and grace continue to positively touch the lives of Dementlieu as House de Tabouillet truly embodies the qualities of noblesse oblige.

Mlle. Éléonore Ambroiseux

ENCYCLOPAEDIA BOTANICA
On Markovian Flora

Or... A catalogue of the three plants newly discovered during expeditions to Markovia's jungles, presented by the Society of the Erudite for the year 777, pursuant to the direction of Dame Geneviève Chaboteaux, Assistant Curator of the Musee du Port-a-Lucine, by Mlle. Medb Neasa.

The first on our list is the Strelitzia, more commonly known as bird-of-paradise due to its resemblance to the bird of the same name, with its beautiful blue and orange flowers over the main boat-shaped bract, itself green with red borders.

Next is the Heliconia, more commonly referred to as lobster-claw or false bird-of-paradise due to the close similarity to the Strelitzia's flowers. The brightly colored flowers are a striking combination of vivid reds, oranges, yellows and greens, subtended by brightly colored bracts. Heliconia shares another curious similarity beyond the visual with the Strelitzia, and that is the effects it can produce when processed by a skilled herbalist. Although functionally different, both tonics help to disguise and hide their imbiber, whether socially or physically.

The third and final offering on this list is the Cascabela thevetia, more commonly known as yellow oleander. This long funnel-shaped tropical flower is bright yellow and fragrant but notoriously toxic and should be handled with care. The dangerous substances of the flower are not destroyed by either drying or heating, and produce gastric and cardiotoxic effects. The recommended treatment against such maladies is an oral administration of activated charcoal.

When properly processed by a skilled herbalist, however, the yellow oleander produces a tonic that sharpens the senses. It can also be mixed with extract from the bird-of-paradise, whereupon it will instead take on and further amplify the latter's properties of physical mimicry.

Mlle. Medb Neasa

THE ARTISTRY OF
The Pianoforte

There are many instruments of refinement and culture that are well known throughout Dementlieu, particularly the classical violin or the harpsichord. Today, I would like to speak on a fairly new instrument — one that is both a statement of wealth and sophistication.

Much like the previously mentioned instruments, the fortepiano (Or pianoforte, depending on who precisely you ask), is a daunting creation to play. It has the difficulty of the harpsichord as well as the room for artistic ranges of dynamics that the former simply does not provide. With the striking mechanism within the fortepiano, it allows for a greater option of dynamic range than that of the harpsichord and its plucking mechanism. While this may be useful for maintaining a consistent level of sound on an instrument; it does not allow for the artistry that dynamic range gives the performer.

Additionally, the fortepiano allows for the use of both hands to play multiple notes and chords like the harpsichord, but with a greater range of sounds as the keyboard upon the fortepiano is extended compared to the standard harpsichord. These keys are normally — if not always — made from two expensive and luxurious materials; ivory and ebony. This contrast of colours not only allows the performer to better know what notes they are playing, but it also has an aesthetic value that is often overlooked.

With being able to play multiple lines in unison, as well as its artistic values of dynamic range, the fortepiano should become an extremely popular instrument within the coming years. It provides those able to afford the instrument an additional chance to educate their peers of their skills; for it is expensive to purchase, difficult to learn, difficult to master, accentuates the modern styles, and when done correctly provides a package that can only be matched by the virtuosos of the violin or an entire orchestra.

Mlle. Alisaie Goulet

VALCOURT WHISKEY

You only have to taste it to know why House Valcourt's esteemed Mordentish whiskey grows ever in popularity. An abundance of premium blends are fostered by years upon years of distilling experience, with familial recipes passed through many a Valcourt's accomplished hand. Blended in that special Valcourt way, every sip is a moment of refined fulfilment. A drink that is most enjoyable at all times, and at all occasions.

With the most recent release of the thoroughly enjoyed Valcourt Honey, I would dare to say that such splendid, refine refreshments ought to be stocked in any well-to-do bar or lounge, and sipped at every soirée.

Please direct all orders and inquiries to M. Solomon Valcourt at L'Oiseau Bleu, Shop III of the Quartier Savant.

THE ORCHID AND WILLOW

An establishment built around open inclusivity in the arts, The Orchid and Willow is an artistic academy open to any and all who wish to learn, participate, or guide others in their path about the various mediums. With a troupe of admired and skilled instructors, events and classes range from theatre, to visual arts, to even dance.

With multiple happenings occurring each month, it is not a surprise that the academy is promptly becoming a favoured place for artists and their appreciators. Entry fees are completely non-existent as events are held for the benefit of all who need, a tribute to the accessible and welcoming nature of the darling co-owners and staff.

Do not be afraid to send any questions or worries to the Orchid and Willow's premises at Shop I of the Quartier Savant.

BEAU MONDE
Dementlieuse Fashion and Trade

A known marque of Dementlieuse perfumery and fashion, Beau Monde by Mlle. Éléonore Ambroiseux fosters many an export of our culture, as well as various services such as modelling and commerce. The label's most enjoyable and successful market, one would say, is encompassed by the line of seven fragrances; all of which were released over the year of 777.

Every finery from perfume to garment is graciously handcrafted by only the most accomplished, with every scent released more delightful than the next. Customized suits and gowns are also available a request, tailored perfectly to the wearer's desires and comforts. An interest for any special occasions where one might need that special spark.

For inquiry, send correspondence to the Governor's Hotel or arrange an appointment with Mlle. Éléonore Ambroiseux in person.

UPCOMING OCCASIONS
✧ January 2nd: New Year's Ball of 778!
✧ January 7th: Unspoken Poetry Reading: Flight!
✧ January 13th: Book Club at L'Oiseau Bleu!
✧ January 14th: Vaasi Culture and Literature: Intro!
✧ January 15th: Open Auditions at The Orchid And Willow!
✧ January 19th: Au Parc Avec Verinne by Mlle. Alisaie Goulet!

1. "Temptation" by The Girl's Own Annual, 1887
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 12:25:44 AM by bunnie »