Author Topic: Rentals - Placeables on high Z axis values float  (Read 813 times)

InMyDarkestHours

• The Underworld
  • Undead Master
  • I reveal my heart, to this beauty dressed in dark
Rentals - Placeables on high Z axis values float
« on: August 27, 2022, 02:59:45 AM »
Where: Happens in multiple areas/rentals.

When: When the area has reset and the placeables re-spawn back in when a player character gets close.

What: I know this bug has been around for quite awhile, but I searched and didn't find any proper thread about it. Essentially *some* placeables with a positive value on the Z-axis tend to float on the X/Y-axis after spawning back in again. I suspect this is more likely to happen the higher the Z-axis value.

This can happen more than once on said placeable, shifting a few times. This makes it challenging for a DM to select said placeable to try and recover/remove.

Perhaps others can clarify if this only impacts placeables that have been spawned in by the DM client (Are DM commands to blame?) or also includes @spawn placeable commands, for in my example those I set using the latter method have not drifted.

Recreate: Spawn in placeables using DM client, raise, leave for 15, come back, repeat until issue occurs.

Also reported here.

Spoiler: show
Red arrows to indicate floating high Z-axis placeables.
Blue circle to indicate placeables > 0 on the Z-axis but have not floated.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 03:02:31 AM by InMyDarkestHours »

Favee

• Undead Master
Re: Rentals - Placeables on high Z axis values float
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2022, 03:12:31 AM »
I had placeables shifting off of tables that were placed by me using the @spawn commands. 

I think its a problem nearly any Z axis modified placeable.
Discord: Favee#4934

Edward

• Lord of the Dead
  • Dark Lord
  • The Bereaved & Defunct.
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2022, 07:51:50 AM »
I had placeables shifting off of tables that were placed by me using the @spawn commands. 

I think its a problem nearly any Z axis modified placeable.

Its weird because it’s just a good bit off it’s value for where it should be, I wonder what’s wrong that causes that.

apeppertoo

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2022, 10:16:03 AM »
It doesn't have to be a high z axis value for it to drift. My outdoor sign drifts several in-game feet every server reset, and it's only set to 1.75. The same placeables used indoors, with the same z axis setting, drift far less - but they still drift. There does not appear to be any rhyme or reason for why, and the only thing that causes it is any change to the z-axis placement.
Mariah Parsons

Agony

• Red Vardo Traders Front
  • Dark Power
  • "You will know agony!" - Ghostly Armor
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2022, 10:59:35 AM »
It doesn't have to be a high z axis value for it to drift. My outdoor sign drifts several in-game feet every server reset, and it's only set to 1.75. The same placeables used indoors, with the same z axis setting, drift far less - but they still drift. There does not appear to be any rhyme or reason for why, and the only thing that causes it is any change to the z-axis placement.

The outdoor portion is probably reloaded much more often than the interior of your shop. As far as I can tell, it seems to drift a little bit each time it is loaded in, so the more area loads, the further it will go.

apeppertoo

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2022, 11:04:30 AM »

The outdoor portion is probably reloaded much more often than the interior of your shop. As far as I can tell, it seems to drift a little bit each time it is loaded in, so the more area loads, the further it will go.

In my experience it doesn't seem to drift on area reload, only when the server resets. I've never seen it detach itself from where I put it outside of a reset. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sensitive to my sign placement by now :(
Mariah Parsons

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2022, 04:58:24 PM »
I'll try to fix this.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2022, 08:07:23 PM »
This should now be fixed. However it won't apply right away; you'll need to save the rental first.

apeppertoo

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2022, 01:14:07 AM »
It's not fixed. My outdoor sign still drifts on reset.
Mariah Parsons

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2022, 10:01:36 PM »
Does anyone know if it's still an issue with full area rentals?

I'll try to fix it for triggers if it's no longer an issue for area rentals.

Dhelindria

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Slayer
  • Dhelindria "Lindy" Lawrence Rathcore
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2022, 10:29:23 PM »
Post reset, I had some items in the NE corner of the Governor's Hôtel ballroom reset their Z-values to 0. Not all items... just some.

Edit: upon further inspection, I had Z-value resets throughout the area. But again, not all items. For example: I had three floor tiles side-by-side, all on Z 0.01 to lift them above the existing floor. One reset; the other two did not.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 12:33:15 PM by Dhelindria »

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2022, 10:09:57 AM »
The Governor's Hotel Ballroom isn't a full area rental (since you can't store things on the stairs), but thanks for the report. I'll fix that.

Any feedback from owners of full area rentals (eg. Penthouse, Novak's Attic, etc.)?

apeppertoo

• Dark Lord
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2022, 10:36:24 AM »
The Governor's Hotel Ballroom isn't a full area rental (since you can't store things on the stairs), but thanks for the report. I'll fix that.

Any feedback from owners of full area rentals (eg. Penthouse, Novak's Attic, etc.)?

I'll put down some placeables that I know will drift on the z-axis to test. The issue is that I won't know for certain until after a server reset or two.
Mariah Parsons

InMyDarkestHours

• The Underworld
  • Undead Master
  • I reveal my heart, to this beauty dressed in dark
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2022, 03:29:32 PM »
Some things in my rental had floated so far off before the attempted fix that I'm not sure if they are continuing to do so.

There were about half a dozen that I can no longer select to delete using the @spawn system and can't spawn in any more placeables due to the limit being reached after some DM assistance with a few extras I couldn't do myself.

apeppertoo

• Dark Lord
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2022, 12:41:45 PM »

I'll put down some placeables that I know will drift on the z-axis to test. The issue is that I won't know for certain until after a server reset or two.

Update: Really difficult to tell for sure but I replaced some light fixtures in Warehouse 3 of Port-a-Lucine and they haven't seemed to have drifted after 1 reset. Will update once the server crashes/resets some more.
Mariah Parsons

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2022, 08:08:39 PM »
This should now be fixed, though the actual effects should only be apparent if you save your rental post-reset and wait until the next one.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2022, 10:27:39 AM »
Do placeables still drift?

apeppertoo

• Dark Lord
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2022, 04:06:51 PM »
Do placeables still drift?

My outdoor sign in the Marchand did not drift at all during the last crash/reset.  :D
Mariah Parsons