Author Topic: Setting Discussion: Barovian Tax Day  (Read 690 times)

Alan Hunter

• Dark Lord
Setting Discussion: Barovian Tax Day
« on: August 18, 2022, 03:23:42 PM »
Spoken before in other topics I like to get some input in other community members feelings on the Barovian tax Day when strahd himself comes out to collect from his Boyers, Burgomiesters, and Citizens. With so much activity in the Outskirts one would think the Count would see this as a surpluss of income from non citizens who are seeking harbor and refuge in his domain. A sort of looming Dread that happens once a year in game where the Count himself comes out to collect what he is owed. I think this would be a wonderful rendition to the server even if its done like a script where people donate/give their taxes to the selected emissary and those who have not given enough.. lets say per City/Region meet the unwelcoming fate of the Count's hand for their less than satisfying tribute for the Count's good will and protection. What do you guys think?

Alan~
"For Evil to win is for good men to do nothing."

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
Re: Setting Discussion: Barovian Tax Day
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 03:27:14 PM »
I think it was DM Treason (and maybe Arawn as well?) that used to run the Tax Day events every so often in Barovia, though Strahd never left the castle for them as far as I'm aware.  They were kind of neat because you got to see different PCs from the Red Vardo to Degannwy and Dvergheim all traveling to Castle Ravenloft together, with potential hazards on the road.

Alan Hunter

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 03:37:16 PM »
I recall Arawn did it once. Was pretty exciting and made the authenticity of Barovia feel alive. Gave that Domain of Dread feeling when you knew folks had to bring their taxes to the castle. It just feels since i last been on, from what I read, and from what folks say Outskirts is a bit more prosperous than the old days and I figure such an increase of subjects and wealth would intrigue the Count to get what is owed to him and we all majorly know Strahd doesn't like when people take advantage of him nor give him the respect due to him. So it would be neat to see this done again by a Selected Staff Member or as a Script in game with event results. Just me I guess lol

Myrza

• Dark Lord
  • Under the Crimson Sun...
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 03:41:07 PM »
I think it should be a set time in year. If a DM is up for it during that time period they can hold it, if not Strahd does not collect taxes that year so whatever.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 03:41:30 PM »
25% of all your assets includes the enchanted armor and random self-valued merchant stock you may be holding, so unless you can liquidise 25% of it before tax day you may lose items you like. >.>

Hemolymph

• Undead Slayer
  • Servant of Rennbuu, Lord of Colors
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2022, 03:45:26 PM »
VII. Taxes shall be paid to the Count and collected on his behalf by the Burgomaster. They will consist of one quarter of all produce, one quarter of all coin, and one quarter of all livestock. If the account be found wanting, those responsible shall be put to death.

Seems like more of a Burgomaster led thing, sending out his lackeys to collect the money alongside soldiers. No reason for Strahd himself to get his hands dirty recieving the peasant's crops and leading a caravan of livestock.
Don't know whether Degannwy or Dvergeheim would have to pay taxes to him - they're in his land and it would make the event more inclusive, yes, but I'm not sure they're his subjects.
From the crushed wings of rare lepidopterans. 'Painting black, or painting white, this is the stuff that'll see you right.'
Art.mp4

Myrza

• Dark Lord
  • Under the Crimson Sun...
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2022, 03:45:52 PM »
25% of all your assets includes the enchanted armor and random self-valued merchant stock you may be holding, so unless you can liquidise 25% of it before tax day you may lose items you like. >.>

VII. Taxes shall be paid to the Count and collected on his behalf by the Burgomaster. They will consist of one quarter of all produce, one quarter of all coin, and one quarter of all livestock. If the account be found wanting, those responsible shall be put to death

Not all assets

Alan Hunter

• Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2022, 03:49:38 PM »
lol all good suggestiions. And true the Dark Lord of Barovia seems like if he doesn't care he doesn't care. Though I read once in a Novel he expected twice as much the following year for his and if I recall the line correctly. And with a Devilish grin Strahd smiled to his Boyer. "Even I can show kindness dear Boyer. However you will owe twice what you owe with interest next year. If not." Strahd drove the pike from the hands of his guard so quickly the begging shap owner beneath his feet could not scream as it went through his body with such ferocity. "Do i make myself clear?" Honestly I wish I could remember which Novel that was cause it was a good sense of how Strahd would act and treat his people. Hmm. Makes me wonder how bad the tax Collector has it?