Author Topic: Applying and removing rumormonger's riviere removes spells  (Read 494 times)

Maffa

• Dark Power
Applying and removing rumormonger's riviere removes spells
« on: August 15, 2022, 09:10:47 AM »
Rumormonger's rivere adds one 4th lvl spell slot to beguilers.

I would expect putting it on would add one 4th spell for free, so if you had 4 spell cast, putting it on should give you a 5th. What it does instead is that not only it wont add any spell, but when you remove it, it takes away a spell slot each time.

way to reproduce:
- rest
- wear the necklace, check the number of spells available
- remove the necklace, check the spells available again
- rinse and repeat a few times

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured

apeppertoo

• Dark Lord
Re: Applying and removing rumormonger's riviere removes spells
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 09:18:30 AM »
That's standard NWN behavior. Removing any spell slot item will remove a corresponding spell slot. You only get the bonus spell slot when you rest with the item on.
Mariah Parsons

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2022, 09:26:53 AM »
That's... less than ideal.

Character List:

Marph - Closured

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 10:02:44 AM »
Sorry, are you saying that if you have 4 spell slots and then you put the necklace on and then remove it you would then have 3 slots which you could then repeat a few times until you had 0 slots?
Tobias Loarca | Braern Delsaryn | Anwar

bloodless

• The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • ?
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 10:16:13 AM »
Sorry, are you saying that if you have 4 spell slots and then you put the necklace on and then remove it you would then have 3 slots which you could then repeat a few times until you had 0 slots?
That's exactly what happens, yes. For correct usage, put the item on, select your spells, rest, do your casting, and then remove it if you want, it will take away the right-most spellslot in the book. Repeat as necessary.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 10:18:03 AM by bloodless »

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2022, 10:47:06 AM »
or if you are a sorcere like caster, put them on and off and see your spells go down for no reason.

Character List:

Marph - Closured

Skelni

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
  • You can always contact me
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2022, 10:56:39 AM »
or if you are a sorcere like caster, put them on and off and see your spells go down for no reason.

It's how it works for spontaneous casters, and there's not much to be done about it. As people said, it's part of the NWN engine. And I think it acts as an incidental exploit prevention as well, as suddenly getting those spells back because you put the item back on would be pretty gamey.
Active: Vorrala Dalael

Shelved: Dirge Driftwood - Jezebel Redcherry - Silf Argyros - Ledewif Oberholtz

Closured: Razik Slepnel - Azaulia Curantus - Gavril Dragnea

apeppertoo

• Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2022, 11:04:28 AM »

We're using sort of incorrect terms.

If you're a class that has to memorize their spells/day and you remove an item that gives you one more 3rd circle spell per day, you'll lose the last 3rd circle spell you have prepared. If you put it back on and take it off again you won't lose anything.

For spontaneous casters, you will lose spells/day every time you take the item off because of how spontaneous spellcasting works. Obviously you get the casts back when you rest.
Mariah Parsons

JustMonika

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2022, 01:45:56 PM »
This is one of those 'Talk to Beamdog' issues.

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2022, 10:58:11 PM »
I also just dont really see the issue. Either keep the amulet on and keep it on. Take it off and lose it thats fine too. Why on earth would you take it on and off multiple times in a rest cycle?

apeppertoo

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2022, 11:00:31 PM »
I also just dont really see the issue. Either keep the amulet on and keep it on. Take it off and lose it thats fine too. Why on earth would you take it on and off multiple times in a rest cycle?

Polymorph. But that's not normally a problem for a beguiler.
Mariah Parsons

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2022, 12:22:41 AM »
Because there are different necklaces that could be swapped around, if this slot worked properly.
Spontaneous casters do not need to pick their spells (duh) so I should have a "flee spell" per rest cycle inside that necklace should I wish to use it, if it worked the way it should. Having it on since rest is a sloppy workaround that makes the item less useful than it should. Not only that but if you had normally say 4 slots, and the item gave you a plus one for a 5, and you used one and took the item down, you'd have 3 as if you never had it in the first place.

(But yeah, I will go write a vibrant letter to Mr. Beam and Mr. Dog and let them have a piece of my mind)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 12:36:07 AM by Maffa »

Character List:

Marph - Closured

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2022, 12:45:10 AM »
Because there are different necklaces that could be swapped around, if this slot worked properly.
Spontaneous casters do not need to pick their spells (duh) so I should have a "flee spell" per rest cycle inside that necklace should I wish to use it, if it worked the way it should. Having it on since rest is a sloppy workaround that mae the item less useful than it should.

(But yeah, I will go write a vibrant letter to Mr. Beam and Mr. Dog and let them have a piece of my mind)

See it in a different way.
Wearing the amulet strengthens your ability to channel arcane energy, but only so long as you wear the amulet, weakening you until the next rest if you remove it. In this manner the amulet gives as much as it may take. Perfectly balanced for gameplay. I always have been in favor of good items with minor drawbacks. If anything, I'd rather see items granting spell slots to non-spontaneous casters to work the same way, but that won't happen because of the way the game is scripted.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.