You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Option to carry an unconscious PC  (Read 591 times)

Evendur

• Undead Slayer
Option to carry an unconscious PC
« on: August 13, 2022, 09:59:07 AM »
In some PvP situations that result in one or more character losing the fight and bleeding to death, the victor usually has to kill said character and raise them again to initiate followup RP/interrogation and so on. This does not really help with the immersion since it takes death quite lightly (Just kill them and raise them somewhere else, no big deal!)
Perhaps it would be possible to include a mechanic that makes it possible to carry someone unconscious instead.

This could perhaps be implemented in a way, that a killing blow to someone who is bleeding to death or subdued, while the attacker is in subdual mode, will render them unconscious and into a state that makes it possible to carry them.

I suspect this may not be as easy to implement as it is to write down, but I believe it would create a few more options to explore and help with RP.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 10:03:34 AM by Evendur »

Willy

• Undead Master
  • Still the Sobek guy. Try again, loosers.
Re: Option to carry an unconscious PC
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2022, 10:05:22 AM »
Agreed. Less murderhoboing, more RP, please.
"If secrecy fails, the perpetrator attacks the credibility of his victim. If he cannot silence her absolutely, he tries to make sure no one listens.”
- Judith Lewis Herman

I won't stay silent.

Myrza

• Dark Lord
  • Under the Crimson Sun...
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2022, 10:21:41 AM »
If someone RPed subduing me and carrying me somewhere I would go with it. That's how I deal with arrests on my guard as well.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2022, 10:24:57 AM »
A frequent and recurring request. Options are being looked at, but this is something we would have done long ago if their was an effective way to implement it. Don't despair though, it's not crossed out of our own wish list.

Until further notice Myrza's way is a good way to go about it.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

RedMoney

• Gendarmerie
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2022, 12:40:00 PM »
The best way I've seen it implemented is the "Blackout" mode on EFU, it "kills" someone and generates a corpse that is label "unconcious X", but rather than fuged the PC is teleported to the "blackout" state map.  The character will automatically come back after an amount of time or the "corpse" is roused via a player command.

hn3SoNaReS

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2022, 01:04:38 PM »
Another possible way is for willing players to initiate a unconscious mode, which ports them to the "blackout state map" which is patch black and devoid of features, player is ghosted and rendered prone in a random location on the map, while a timer begins. "Unconscious body" spawns and which can be carried. Timer finishes and player is ported to unconscious body location as a ghost, and picks up body to regain consciousness.

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2022, 05:05:36 PM »
Another possible way is for willing players to initiate a unconscious mode, which ports them to the "blackout state map" which is patch black and devoid of features, player is ghosted and rendered prone in a random location on the map, while a timer begins. "Unconscious body" spawns and which can be carried. Timer finishes and player is ported to unconscious body location as a ghost, and picks up body to regain consciousness.

That would be perfect! And it would protect people from the fear of metagaming when "carrying a unconcious" concious person who's walking besire you and can see everthing
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

JustMonika

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2022, 07:08:41 PM »
The best way I've seen it implemented is the "Blackout" mode on EFU, it "kills" someone and generates a corpse that is label "unconcious X", but rather than fuged the PC is teleported to the "blackout" state map.  The character will automatically come back after an amount of time or the "corpse" is roused via a player command.

This seems rather clever.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2022, 05:24:03 PM »
That could potentially work. I will say, that among the tools I wish the server had, a proper shackle and chain system would be one of them. If someone wants to try to resist the shackle and chain, there can be opposing checks with a heavy malus against the chained/shackled trying to overpower the captor. I remember way back when, Arelith used this system with DM NPCs would mobilize PCs when fettered, but that was... Well over a decade ago when I remember that.

If they choose to enter @resist at any point, periodic roles can be made, with the yellowtext popping up over the head of the Captor/Jailer/etc saying, "John Johnson is attempting to resist his bindings!" and upon a basic success, he is no longer auto-walked by the controlling PC. If he achieves so far, above, or on a particularly high DC, he can either break the bonds (depending on the quality. Ropes. Steel shackles. Adamantine shackles. Etc) or, if we want to be *really* fun about it, we can make him pull the Captor/Jailor unless either he's incapacitated/killed, or the captor/jailer types something like @release to break the script and let John Johnson go, but with the shackle item on his wrists until it's removed.

It can be left in such a way that there's a vfx representing a chain either on him, or around him in some fashion, and another command can be used by nearby players to grab the chain, or multiple can to keep them held in place, allowing things like Dragon Disciples, hulking Caliban, or otherwise to have a bit of fun with resisting their arrest, and it's mechanically enforced to the "T," keeping player conflict/disagreements/RP issues to a minimum. It also keeps the entire process extremely timely, especially for time-sensitive seizures.

JayJay

• The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Undead Slayer
  • Do Better.
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2022, 07:53:54 PM »
Agreed, the less corpse-hiding the better.