Author Topic: Red Academy Faction not preventing aggro from casting spells in Hazlan.  (Read 838 times)

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
Name: Red Academy Faction not preventing aggro from casting spells in Hazlan.

Where: Ramulai

When: Today, 11:00 GMT -3

What: My wiz and another wiz (Romehr) got aggroed after casting spells in Ramulai. I was wearing the Academy Cloak.

Recreate: Go to Ramulai, Cast spells in front NPCs.

Ideas: Maybe the guards in Ramulai are not identifying Red Academy members? I did not test around the domain, but it may be the same with other NPCs.

Update: after I brought line of sight it simply became neutral again. Also, my OCR is and was at normal levels.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 01:32:11 PM by Anarcoplayba »
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

JustMonika

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
What spell did you cast?

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
What spell did you cast?

Web, grease, a few bigby in a willing test subject. Same thing for the other wiz.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Some NPCs will react to harmful spells no matter your faction; can you specify which NPCs specifically reacted, and if you're properly set up in the faction?

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
Some NPCs will react to harmful spells no matter your faction; can you specify which NPCs specifically reacted, and if you're properly set up in the faction?

I was properly set up in faction (was using the Cloak and even could make him friend of the faction after he was hostile).

The NPC was one called "Hazlani Soldier" I guess. It was one of the soldiers that patrols the area around the Inn in Ramulai.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Re: Red Academy Faction not preventing aggro from casting spells in Hazlan.
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 05:05:26 PM »
I reviewed the scripts and this is intentional for certain spells. Just like in Dementlieu, NPCs will react to some major problematic spells (usually with big visuals or necromancy, etc.) no matter your origin. Red Academy members don't get a free pass everywhere in Hazlan; if they draw too much attention they won't be welcome throughout the domain.

King Pickle

• Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2022, 10:21:19 PM »
The spells used were Grease, Acid Fog and Bigby's hand.
Considering how many times different groups have been attacking different parts of Hazlan just recently, I see a slight problem with this.

Lets imagine the faction members of Red Academy are for example trying to chase and capture someone escaping from academy grounds to Ramulai, or simply trying to defend the city from outside attack, the Hazlani soldiers will attack the RA members.

I would suggest making the soldiers patrolling Ramulai part of the RA faction. Maybe give them a rank too high for players to control them if they are not supposed to do that.

Even if a RA wizard was a notorious necromancer hated all over Hazlan, it would be weird for guards positioned in Ramulai to lynch him. Or that's my opinion anyway.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2022, 11:49:01 PM »
I kinda can understand that in regards to necromancy, although this raises again the question "how does that commoner knows this is necromancy and not evocation?".

But the main point I'd question, considering that the guard aggroed me and I did cast most simply spells is what is considered offensive.

Web? Grease? Bigby's? Isaac's?

I'd suggest/ask that maybe focusing on things materially problematic, like necromancy, instead of visuals.

It seems strange a mulani, member of the red academy being shunned for exerting the power he is supposed to be proud of.

NacreCicatrix

• Dark Lord
  • loser
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2022, 05:31:01 PM »
I think it makes sense that spells with potential for collateral damage + crazy visuals are going to earn the ire of guards. Hostile spells are not anything to be thrown about casually in the majority of circumstances. Do it somewhere they NPCs can't see it if you need to, and it never happened.

(In hostile circumstances, I don't really have a solution...)
It is not an ending, but an ebbing.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2022, 05:40:13 PM »
It seems strange a mulani, member of the red academy being shunned for exerting the power he is supposed to be proud of.

Same thing as Americans with the right to bear arms, isn't it? You can train and learn how to use them in proper training grounds, the academy, get permits to go hunting and using them for self-defence, but the guards of Hazlan are going to be annoyed if you're shooting each other in the streets.

Spells are weapons of war.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 05:42:21 PM by zDark Shadowz »

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2022, 07:01:34 PM »
All things considered, I don't think any of the academy folks would be show casing their powers near NPCs just because they can. If they cast an offensive spell near a NPC it is almost certain that the act will be reasonable. So, the enforcers now dislike the Instructor who killed a foreigner at the gates of Ramulai as they were making an escape after sneaking into the Academy to steal something that belongs to Lord Hazlik. Lets say this happens to the point of breaking the tolerance barrier, the enforcer will hostile the PC and charge at him. What is the logic there? It might be worth of consideration by the team to study the case of the NPCs immediately within Ramulai and its fields. As for Nordenvall NPCs, it would be completely reasonable to disapprove the Instructor's actions even if they were done to deter the same thief escaping the Fane. Ramulai pops would consider it a "perfectly normal phenomenon" meme.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2022, 08:22:21 PM »
And, frankly, The Red Academy is the home of the most spoiled, rich, depraved, unescrupulous, unfamous and fairly known evil.

They have prisioners cells and regularly practice "explode the demi-human" in experiences with a slight admoestation from the instructors because "elfs are expensive and you just ruined a test subject that we've been using for longer than this chair".

Saying that the guards decided to attack a red academy mulani wizard because they cast web/grease/acid fog/bigby without harming no NPC seems way over the hedge to me.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2022, 07:13:24 AM »
And, frankly, The Red Academy is the home of the most spoiled, rich, depraved, unescrupulous, unfamous and fairly known evil.

They have prisioners cells and regularly practice "explode the demi-human" in experiences with a slight admoestation from the instructors because "elfs are expensive and you just ruined a test subject that we've been using for longer than this chair".

This is not true at all. I think your character has been using too much opium. The Red Academy is a place of flair and fair people. Don't give the outsides the wrong idea, please. Thank you. :)

hn3SoNaReS

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2022, 12:40:05 PM »
The system is never going to be perfect, but honestly this seems fine to me. It prevents people from casting spells unnecessarily and being annoying.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2022, 02:36:04 PM »
The system is never going to be perfect, but honestly this seems fine to me. It prevents people from casting spells unnecessarily and being annoying.

Well... you know that this is in a very restricted area of the server, without transit of people and almost a faction area, right?

I mean the problem you mean is not adressed by it and changing it will not impact in any ways this, unless you put this script in the Vistani in the MC.