You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Platinum Gilding Should Be Corrosion Resistant  (Read 1925 times)

Dardonas

Platinum Gilding Should Be Corrosion Resistant
« on: July 25, 2022, 09:39:53 AM »
Platinum is a noble metal used in real life for its anti-corrosive properties and is highly resistant to corrosion. 

Platinum in the module does not protect against corrosion, however. 

I think, in addition to electrum, it should grant corrosion resistance against puddings.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
Re: Platinum Gilding Should Be Corrosion Resistant
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 09:54:16 AM »
Platinum is a noble metal used in real life for its anti-corrosive properties and is highly resistant to corrosion. 

Platinum in the module does not protect against corrosion, however. 

I think, in addition to electrum, it should grant corrosion resistance against puddings.

I do agree and pointed it out a while ago. The answes is that it was for balance issues.

To be honest, gold also should bring that.

If I were to take into consideration balance issues, I'd say:

Keep electrum as it is: +1 vc shapechangers, 5/- against acid, corrosion resistant.

Gold: influence bonus, 10/- against acid, corrosion resistant.

Platinum: I'd keep how it is: +2 vs undead is STRONG.
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

Edward

• Lord of the Dead
  • Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
  • The Bereaved & Defunct.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 09:57:13 AM »
I agree.

JustMonika

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 09:57:57 AM »
Gold would provide an influence penalty in Dementlieu. I'd rather it boosted appraise.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 09:58:41 AM »
While a logical a request, this was previously  considered and rejected. Some choices have been made for balance reasons and to keep some material relevants.

The ease by which anyone can fix corrosion on an item, coupled witht the fact that you can no longer lose said item to it are more reasons justifying that we will not chamge this aspect.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 10:00:27 AM »
That being said, I am not adverse to the idea of revising the whole array of gilding bonuses.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dardonas

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2022, 10:03:29 AM »
While a logical a request, this was previously  considered and rejected. Some choices have been made for balance reasons and to keep some material relevants.

The ease by which anyone can fix corrosion on an item, coupled witht the fact that you can no longer lose said item to it are more reasons justifying that we will not chamge this aspect.

I disagree. Balance-wise, I feel like electrum is too much a the "catch-all" metal and is much more powerful than other metals.  As a martial, you are hurting yourself if you do not take electrum when it comes to fighting enemies with acid sheath. 

Platinum is actually one of the fewer used gilding metals because of the fact that electrum is SO good.  The only time platinum is used is on weapons, in most cases.  Other times PCs want to have gloves and boots, and dropped helmets or hoods.  So that defaults to electrum only on chest pieces.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2022, 10:15:39 AM »
Make Platinum uncorrodable and you make Electrum obsolete.

Anyway, name me one undead corroding items on the module. Get the right tool for the right enemy.
Best Regards!
MAB

JustMonika

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2022, 10:21:22 AM »

Anyway, name me one undead corroding items on the module. Get the right tool for the right enemy.

I'm not sure this is great game design. It just encourages players to grind for, and then carry around half a dozen weapons to have the exact optimal weapon for every engagement. It's really not terribly realistic, and just adds to that MMO grindy feel, while adding a lot more things to try and design arorund to balence.

What do we really gain by having a +1 vs undead, +1 vs Orcs, +1 vs Lycanthops, +1 vs humans, etc etc sword, that you've gotta catch them all, or just having a +1 sword?
More variety isn't always better.

Edward

• Lord of the Dead
  • Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
  • The Bereaved & Defunct.
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2022, 10:22:18 AM »

Greater Fogwardens corrode, they're elementals but they also summon undead Fogwarden Zombies at the start of combat.

Favee

• Undead Master
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2022, 10:25:25 AM »

I highly doubt anyone that doesn't already have acid resist will willingly give up the acid DR from enchanting electrum on their chest slot.  Electrum would still be better than Platinum in most cases with how prevelant acid fog is, and how Electrum gilding nearly makes you immune to its damage.
Discord: Favee#4934

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2022, 10:36:33 AM »
And green steel is wasted on armors too.  Some metals are very good for one thing and bad for others. Nothing wrong in that. The important thing being they have at least one useful purpose.

No one can deny+2 AB vs undead is useful. It doesn't need to be uncorrodable on top of that.
Best Regards!
MAB

Ringnar

• The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Undead Slayer
  • Halflings are best!
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2022, 10:40:50 AM »
About half my metal wearing PC’s wear platinum over Electrum, I find it useful and thematic for what I’m fighting, and acid sheath and acid fog are not things I find myself fighting. As for collecting multiple weapons, my current main carries 5 weapons, each has a different role but all are important, and each has been used not just in combat but to enhance the RP and flair of the character based on the lore of the weapon. I’m very much a fan of creating a story for your weapon and having more then one.

Lex Talionis

• Outlander
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2022, 10:54:29 AM »
I see this as another in a long line of requests to create more catch-all items and characters. I think diversity of weapons/armor and the bonuses they give is good. It forces us to make sacrifices and evaluate what variables are most important to us.  Every choice we make has a price.  If I want to play a fighter, I shouldn't expect to have the same versatility as a magic user.  Likewise, if I choose one type of armor, I shouldn't expect it to be good in every situation.

Erikat

• the last grimalkin
  • Undead Master
  • The whole of virtue consists in its practice.
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2022, 11:01:09 AM »
Gildings are superfluous in general. Electrum is absolutely the catch all. +2 undead isn’t what you go platinum for. It’s what you enchant for and the majority of folks are not planning on enchanting that many weapons. The currently far optimal thing is to carry your electrum weapon and just varnish your blade with a relatively easy to acquire +3 varnish or immensely easy to acquire +1 cloths. Gildings feel almost entirely rp picks until enchanting. 
Actives: Alexia Cel-Tradat

MatticusCaesar

• Dark Power
  • Beware the Hinvasion!
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2022, 11:19:01 AM »

I disagree. Balance-wise, I feel like electrum is too much a the "catch-all" metal and is much more powerful than other metals.  As a martial, you are hurting yourself if you do not take electrum when it comes to fighting enemies with acid sheath. 

Platinum is actually one of the fewer used gilding metals because of the fact that electrum is SO good.  The only time platinum is used is on weapons, in most cases.  Other times PCs want to have gloves and boots, and dropped helmets or hoods.  So that defaults to electrum only on chest pieces.

I'll have to disagree with this.  While I can't speak for every gild-capable crafter across the server, my own sampling shows that on weapons it's mostly silver for lower-level characters, then probably about a 65/35 split between platinum and electrum for higher-level characters.  On armor for higher level characters, electrum is predominantly used for mechanical reasons I won't dive into here. 

The bottom line is many people end up investing in gilding a secondary weapon for an alternate purpose, which is OK in my opinion.
Currently Playing:
Conner o'Clan Cunningham, Cando Weaselbite

On the sidelines but ready for action:
Tychon Corynian, Bjarna Blitzthorn, Remo Fenberry, Yerrith Greenstone, Gryllus Athens, Pristi Feld

Erikat

• the last grimalkin
  • Undead Master
  • The whole of virtue consists in its practice.
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2022, 11:34:06 AM »
Silver is the easiest useful gilding metal to get. Platinum is one the hardest. Gold for Electrum is fairly difficult. Let’s be entirely honest, silver is popular because of the cost, and secondarily because of a single low level dungeon.
Actives: Alexia Cel-Tradat

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2022, 12:36:29 PM »
Wait until I rip the guts out of the corrosion system and implement typed corrosion with different material resistances.

(You may be waiting some time)

remnar

• Dark Lord
  • kill, corpsehide, girlboss
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2022, 12:48:27 PM »
This is a silly thread.  There's only a certain few monsters that corrode weaponry and unless you want to turn one slime into a lot of high AB slimes, you probably want to be using a blunt weapon anyway.  If you want corrosion resistance, pick one of the mechanically corrosion resistant materials.  If you just want to have a single weapon, ever, uhhh, too bad.  Don't fight oozes. 

This is a non-problem.

Read my guide: https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=62555.0
and come to my clinic in Vallaki!

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2022, 01:16:25 PM »
I genuinely can't remember the last time I've ever had a corrosion issue and I universally play front line melee characters.

Ryujin

• The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2022, 03:30:48 PM »
I hit an ooze with a maul the other day and it instantly got max corrosion q.q

Corrision -is- a thing, but it's negligable IMHO.
And as said- Electrum on weapons gives nothing but +1 vs shapeshifters, and corrision resistance. The +1 is practically useless after enchanting, and the corrosion resistance is so negligable that it can be left aside.

Think of it as this:

If Plat got corrosion resistance what would the niche be for electrum on weapons?
SIlver is better for shapechangers.
Plat would be better allround.
Why ever take electrum?
Active: Naexalim Alearaheal.
Shelved: Chen Mei, Corin Bluespire, Osirion Shivan, Dukgeth, Valathar El'lyn. Closured: Cyrun Mask

myrddraal

• Dark Lord
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2022, 04:46:04 PM »
You don’t need to enchant every single item you have.  You can carry a back up weapon that’s anti corrosive, or store it until you know you’re going somewhere you’ll need it.  (The places you need it is pretty limited)

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2022, 07:27:12 PM »
if one carefully evades the one place in the Mists where you can encounter such problems, i dont see how could this can be a problem at all.

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured

PrimetheGrime

• Full-time Hunter, Part-time Outlaw
  • Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2022, 07:46:43 PM »

I'm not sure this is great game design. It just encourages players to grind for, and then carry around half a dozen weapons to have the exact optimal weapon for every engagement. It's really not terribly realistic, and just adds to that MMO grindy feel, while adding a lot more things to try and design arorund to balence.

What do we really gain by having a +1 vs undead, +1 vs Orcs, +1 vs Lycanthops, +1 vs humans, etc etc sword, that you've gotta catch them all, or just having a +1 sword?
More variety isn't always better.

There's plenty of variety for the metals and it really is a situation as you pick the right weapon for the job. This isn't real life. Steel isn't the be all end all. That's the adventurer life. It practically doesn't matter however because as soon as you enchant your weapon, what it's made of makes only a minute difference.

Dardonas

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2022, 08:10:44 PM »
I don't think corrosion resistance is going to make more people get platinum over electrum or vice versa.  It is a neat coincidence.  If you want elemental resist you take elemental resist, if you want extra AC you take extra AC.

One of the issues I have is that corrosion was buffed to be a ridiculously high DC.  If your chest piece gets corroded, you just instantly become naked.

At the very least, there should be some sort of consumable that gives corrosion resistance.  Maybe we can do this with acid varnish or magical varnish.